G11 Keyboard Woes, Wtf It's Killing Me...

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » G11 keyboard woes, wtf it's killing me...
G11 keyboard woes, wtf it's killing me...
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-12 15:35:14
Link | Citer | R

Yet another question regarding my new computer and some weird issue that I can't figure out >.<

So, I have a Logitech G11 keyboard. Ran it on Windows XP 32-bit for years now with no issues. Gotten to the point where I'm pretty much dependent on those G-keys for my FFXI stuff. And now I can't get it working...the keyboard works fine, the media controls at the top work fine, but the G-Keys wont do crap in game.

Downloaded and installed the Vista 64-bit version of the software, installed without a hitch. Setup my FFXI profile, tied the G keys to ALT+1-9, CTRL+1-9 like I had it before. Profile is set to persistant, loads when windows starts, etc (FFXI is like all I really play on PC so don't care about switching profiles or anything at this point). I tested the functions within the G11 profile software and they all work fine, so obviously the problem isn't within the Logitech software.

It is tied to c:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pol.exe and for some reason it just won't work within FFXI. Tried tying to "FFXI.exe" and "polboot" as well, still no luck. Here's the thing...I looked in Device Manager and under keyboards it says "HID Keyboard Device" so I wonder if the driver isn't being picked up by windows and that is the issue? I tried restarting and unplugging and plugging back in the keyboard and it still won't come up with a Logitech Driver. I downloaded the 64-bit installer from Logitech.com and all that, so that's pretty weird. A search of my computer keeps coming up with the generic Microsoft drivers, so I dunno wtf...

Anyways, anyone out there that has a G11 or G15 that has any info or suggestions? Thanks...
 Asura.Celene
Serveur: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-12 15:46:09
Link | Citer | R

Another reason why XP > Vista. <.<
 Hades.Dizzmal
Serveur: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-03-12 15:50:53
Link | Citer | R

I have a Logitec G15 and Vista 64 bit. Never had problems(I know this doesn't help your problem.) I would try the Forums on Windower.net They have a good bit of information on the G series logitec keyboards.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-12 15:57:09
Link | Citer | R

Its also probably the driver for it. Since you used it for windows on a diff comp and u got a new pc running vista, they probably dont match up with vista so u may need to see if there is a driver that can fix that or throw that pos vista out the window :)
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-12 15:58:14
Link | Citer | R

I'm not exactly tech-savvy, but if you're using Windower, I think there's a sort of command you need to insert into your .init file to let it know you're using a special keyboard?

edit: Here's the link for a G15 plugin--not exactly sure if it works with yours, though = ( Sorry!
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-12 16:13:38
Link | Citer | R

Ya, I don't use windower, never have anyways, but if I can't get this working without it I may have to rethink that...

Anyways, I'm posting on the Logitech forums now, maybe they can tell me something? The weird thing is, from their own site on the G11 downloads it's the "GamePanel" software...I don't think there's even any driver files in it. What the hell is the point without the driver files? I really like Logitech products, but this is starting to piss me off. I even went throught their ftp site looking to see if I could just pull down a standalone driver...nope, same ***that I had before. I no longer have the original disc either, which is freakin AWESOME.

Anyways, thanks for the replies so far, and if anything comes to mind, as always, lemme know. If I actually get it working I'll post what I did lol
 Hades.Dizzmal
Serveur: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-03-12 16:23:30
Link | Citer | R

Not telling you to run windower. just saying to check their forums for help on your keyboard. They tend to answer questions faster than some of the manufacturing companies.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-12 16:34:00
Link | Citer | R

Dizzmal said:
Not telling you to run windower. just saying to check their forums for help on your keyboard. They tend to answer questions faster than some of the manufacturing companies.

Ah, ok...I'll give it a shot, the Logitech help is useless so far >.<
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-14 16:00:38
Link | Citer | R

UPDATE:

I've been talking to people on the Logitech Forums for a few days now about this issue, and I'm getting pissed off. Here's the responses I've gotten so far:

Logitech Guy said:
Square-Enix has disallowed all macro and key programming software from functioning in Final Fantasy XI due to botting concerns. This is similar to the issue we see with Gameguard. There is no workaround.

I responded back that I know that's not true, as I was using the G keys with FFXI with no problems under windows XP 32-bit. I told him basically, that unless FFXI just happened to disable the macros at exactly the same time I upgraded my PC (unlikely) that it has to be a problem with the driver or the software. Here's the response I got...

Logitech Guy said:
I contacted my developer relations representative in Japan, and that was the answer I was given. I don't currently know the timing of when they disabled our macro software.

Your keyboard shows up as a HID Keyboard Device in Vista because that's the driver it uses - there is not a custom keyboard driver for the G11. I'm using a G19 on XP right now, and it shows up as a HID Keyboard Device as well.

Can I get a confirmation from people here that there G keys are still working? Cause this is irritating me... >.<
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-14 17:06:25
Link | Citer | R

UPDATE AGAIN:

I figured it out, apparently UAC was blocking it. Way to go Logitech, great answer lol