Detonator & Slug Shot

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Detonator & Slug Shot
Detonator & Slug Shot
First Page 2

| Edit  | Link | Citer | R

This is my first job where I've been concerned with WS mods, so bear with me.

I noticed that for Detonator and Slug Shot the DMG mod is 30% AGI. I was wondering first of all, how is it 30% with nothing else listed?

Furthermore, if the modifier is AGI...why do a lot of people use STR in their Deto/Slug builds?

Obviously I'm not very familiar with WS builds/mods, but I'm here to find out how to pull the most DMG out of my Corsair's WS'. :D

This is what I'm using at the moment, any tips of equip to buy would be appreciated, and yes, I know I need to get an HQ Amemet. >.>
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-10 21:57:32
Link | Citer | R

STR affects the damage of all WSs, not just the one with STR mods. In general, STR is something you want for all WS.

Go for Axe Grip, crit hits are useless for Ranged Attacks.

Also take STR over R.Attack where you can get it.

Last and most important thing is, always move completely out of melee range, but not that far away, before shooting. 4-6 feet is good for Gun. (Max melee attack range is something like 3.5 feet so judge based on that)

Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Should I take AGI over STR, or STR over AGI? :s
 Shiva.Demiomega
Serveur: Shiva
user: Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-03-10 22:12:59
Link | Citer | R

str over agi but agi and ranged acc where you cant get str for cor
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-03-10 22:15:32
Link | Citer | R

Depends on what you can get, STR will have a bigger impact on your WS as it will increase your damage all together, unlike Rattk which just increases the max POSSIBLE damage (but you knew that already im guessing) but dont underestimate a modifier, as it will act like STR will for that WS (to the extent of the modifier percentage obviously). Fill in Str gear where you can, and if theres something with considerably more Agi (IE Seiryu's Kote ((WANT for RNG)) Then go with that for WS gear.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66719 This is like maximum STR I could do, but I'd still need some Ranged Accuracy gear, right?
 Shiva.Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-03-10 22:26:50
Link | Citer | R

yes, and a few other things warwolf belt is not a good idea. i would think about swaping atleast 1 flame ring to a ranged acc ring and maybe even get yourself a sea torque (forget which is marksmanship) also agi can help your ranged acc where you cant get acc. its really going to depend on what you fight. trial and error is how i learned on my rng and cor

Hehehe hit & miss hmm... ^^

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66719 Better?

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to best gear up my COR, so far I've finished off Non-WS gear List, now I'm looking at how much $$ I need for WS. @.@
 Fairy.Nephilym
Serveur: Fairy
user: Nephilym
By Fairy.Nephilym 2009-03-10 22:35:39
Link | Citer | R

your Slug and Deto ws gear shouldnt be the same as cor. Slug misses so much more than Deto so it's going to need a little +rng acc while Deto you can go straight Str and Agi.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-03-10 22:37:58
Link | Citer | R

Demiomega said:
get yourself a sea torque (forget which is marksmanship)

You're thinking of Faith Torque. And even though my COR is still in the teens I can tell you that it would be a total waste of a neck piece. TP in PCC and if you're able to get a sea torque then you should have no issues in getting a sea gorget (Light gorget covers both of those ws).
 Shiva.Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-03-10 22:45:08
Link | Citer | R

look alot better :p although i think i would still stick to af body. I will prolly get flamed for this but as my exp as rng for 5 years agi makes little to no dmg boost on slug shot. tested by slugshot with s kote and without, no dmg change in 15 agi

but also keep another thing is mind. Cor is a gambling job. good hunters roll you acc may be fine but bad roll or none at all (other active rolls) you could have horrible acc. i would recommend having another acc ring and maybe more acc gear incase this happends
 Shiva.Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-03-10 22:46:43
Link | Citer | R

Yakutatazu said:
Demiomega said:

You're thinking of Faith Torque. And even though my COR is still in the teens I can tell you that it would be a total waste of a neck piece. TP in PCC and if you're able to get a sea torque then you should have no issues in getting a sea gorget (Light gorget covers both of those ws).

I have tryed light gorget and i wasnt too impressed

Demiomega said:
look alot better :p although i think i would still stick to af body. I will prolly get flamed for this but as my exp as rng for 5 years agi makes little to no dmg boost on slug shot. tested by slugshot with s kote and without, no dmg change in 15 agi

but also keep another thing is mind. Cor is a gambling job. good hunters roll you acc may be fine but bad roll or none at all (other active rolls) you could have horrible acc. i would recommend having another acc ring and maybe more acc gear incase this happends

Well I thought of Blue Cotehardie because it has +4 STR as well as the +4 AGI.

No Sea access yet...but I do plan to get Faith Torque & Light Gorget once I do, which will hopefully be soon.

My COR bodies are...

Shikaree Aketon
Corsair's Frac
Pahluwan Khazagand (RACC+10, for those that don't know)
 Shiva.Nlsmo
user: Nlsmo
By Shiva.Nlsmo 2009-03-10 23:09:49
Link | Citer | R

Ok not sure if it will help you but this is what im using right now, still needs work but i have the gill nor the time to finish /sigh

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66725
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-10 23:23:12
Link | Citer | R

1STR = 2.2AGI~ is a decentish conversion rate for pure damage. The .2 isn't super accurate, just trying to account for ratk added at the same time.

On any standard ranged attack/ranged WS build, never ever ever take off Amemet Mantle+1. Take ratk over str/agi if you can get it in large enough quantities (not sure on COR-specific gear to give an example).

WS gorget for WS.

Raenryong said:
1STR = 2.2AGI~ is a decentish conversion rate for pure damage. The .2 isn't super accurate, just trying to account for ratk added at the same time.

On any standard ranged attack/ranged WS build, never ever ever take off Amemet Mantle+1. Take ratk over str/agi if you can get it in large enough quantities (not sure on COR-specific gear to give an example).

WS gorget for WS.

So Ranged Attack possibly be better than STR depending on the amount of STR vs. RATK available for said slot?

Would War Boots (+5 RATK) be better than the +2 STR, +2 AGI, +2 RACC from Corsair's Bottes?

Shikaree Aketon (+7 ATK) > +4 STR +4 AGI, or +4 STR +4 AGI > +7RATK?

EDIT: Obviously I don't have Barbarrosa's Muffles or Crimson/Blood Finger Gauntlets yet - work in progress. >.>
 Shiva.Demiomega
By Shiva.Demiomega 2009-03-10 23:52:09
Link | Citer | R

no, str > r atk i cant think of a singe piece i would wear on my rng or cor replacing str with r atk

mainly str and acc is only thing to worry about in ws.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-10 23:55:50

It's probably already been said before but simply put:

Although almost all marksmanship weapon skills are 30% AGI based, however, STR is factored into all physically contacting weapon skills and directly calculates against mob VIT and defenses thus usually having a much higher overall benefit compared to secondary modifiers.

The only time secondary modifiers heavily stacked will really stick out is if the mob is nailed with dia 3, Angon and an acid bolt with attack food and double minuet or chaos roll active on you, assuming you have a good handful of STR to begin with. This of course also depends on how heavily mod dependent the WS is to begin with of course. Anything below oh, I'd say 40% shouldn't over prioritized against STR in my opinion unless you meet those previously mentioned conditions.

Long story short: STR directly calculates, secondary mods add slight base dmg. Detonator due to it's higher base accuracy is good to go mod heavy, while slug shot in of itself does quadruple damage but tends to whiff, so go with lotsa r.acc.

Hope this helps~

Side note: R.atk is God. It's very difficult to grasp in gear and is in very selective foods, but the results are incredible.

Okay, http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=54081]here is what I've got at the moment.

Alternately to the boots, I can use War Boots.

Alternately to the body, I could use Corsair's Frac or Shikaree Aketon. No Blue Cotehardie yet. ; ;

And, whats so bad about Warwolf Belt? It is +5 STR. =x My other option is Velocious Belt, Royal Knight's Belt +1, or find a new belt to buy.

Keep RACC Neck? Or get something else?
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-11 00:43:11
Link | Citer | R

slug? pahluwan pants, relic belt, pcc or ws gorget, str earring during daytime, idk i dont have cor

Mainly Detonator info I'm looking for. >.> I haven't gotten to use it much yet so... T_T

Oh yeah... Using Coeurl Subs as food. :x
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-11 00:48:00
Link | Citer | R

slug will outdamage detonator when you are well geared, you would be using different guns iirc for the 2? (bear with me) the only advantage deto has over slug is you can use it at 100%tp with a non-martial gun without acc "penalty".

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/darkatvar/ffxi_20090219_215004.png

from a cor 100%tp, martial
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-03-11 00:48:26
Link | Citer | R

Demiomega said:
Yakutatazu said:
Demiomega said:

I have tryed light gorget and i wasnt too impressed

Sea gorgets won't make your numbers double or anything, but if you did an un-biased parse I can pretty much bet Light gorget will win hands down. If you were just eye balling it hoping for way more damage then you are going to be let down.

The only weapon type that might compare torque vs gorget is H2H due to it's skill also determining base damage. I just see no way 7 racc/ratk will beat out a gorget, perhaps if it had 5STR or something like Justice torque has... maybe, but then GKT (which uses Justice and is 75% STR mod on Y/G/K) still wins on sea gorget on an un-biased parser.

That is sexy. >_>

EDIT: COR WS - Slug Shot & COR WS - Detonator <-are my sets so far.
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-11 00:51:44
Link | Citer | R

this gear set:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=52516

Hmmm my current Detonator set is close to that... -9 AGI and -3RATK. lol

Hopefully I'll get to meripo soon and see what my damage and accuracy are at.

Demiomega said:
warwolf belt is not a good idea.

Still wanna know why this is so. =x
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-11 01:14:28

Warwolf is okay, but 3 enmity in trade off for 5 STR is iffy, and there's no additional bonuses. Personally I would stick to the +skill from Gun belt or at least RK Belt to keep things balanced. If you can, get into more Einherjar and get a Buccaneer's Belt. That puppy will not only be accurate but it'll pack a punch and pull less hate ^^

So until I get Buccaneer's Belt, RK Belt +1 for /NIN, and Gun Belt for /RNG should do?

I'm tempted to get a Potent Belt, but bleh...doesn't seem worth it for COR. :s
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-11 01:21:06

Yeah that sounds good. Commodore Belt is also an equally awesome choice, the only difference really is additional ranged attack in exchange for the negative enmity. Whichever comes first I'm sure would make a stellar addition to both Slug Shot & Detonator.

And yeah, leave potent for meleeing if you don't own a swift belt. Also I try not to go too nuts on the haste for meleeing as COR due to our skill caps being kinda sub par compared to those who have A to A+ skill caps. Those jobs fortunate enough to have that luxury are able to get away with less accuracy gear and more atk, haste, and STR.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-11 06:46:52
Link | Citer | R

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66787

Asides from one or two further upgrades, this is a near perfect weapon skill build and has been working for me for a long time. The emphasis as far as I'm concerned with Slug Shot is to have STR and Accuracy in a 3:1 ratio; you should always favour big increases in STR where possible over accuracy, but keep a reasonable amount of accuracy equipped.

Breeze Gorget is an absolute must if you want to have better Slug Shots; there is nothing better you could invest in to make your weapon skills stronger. If you want to kill two birds with one stone, Light Gorget also affects Slug Shot, but also affects Detonator. The only downside is you need two Yovra Organs rather than one. Faith Torque is the best non-Weapon Skill piece, whoever said it's a waste of an equipment slot is wrong.

I could use Rajas Ring and my Flame Ring, but I choose not to; and I don't miss all that often with this build and I commonly see 1000+ on non-Piercing mobs.
First Page 2