"lucky" items?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-11 20:56:10
Link | Citer | R

you guys are all wrong!! you are supposed to take your pants off for good luck!!! XD
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-11 21:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
you guys are all wrong!! you are supposed to take your pants off for good luck!!! XD

The good luck usually follows that...
 Titan.Azarasi
Serveur: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-03-11 23:16:06
Link | Citer | R

I always believe this is a hidden "luck" stats, a lot of the FF games had it.

And it might encompass everything that is minute to not noticeable. I don't worry about it, then again everything could be random
 Phoenix.Mayuri
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Ricard
By Phoenix.Mayuri 2009-03-11 23:55:51
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
Alyria said:

always been my method on drops
 Remora.Narrubia
Serveur: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-03-12 00:32:35
Link | Citer | R

Mayuri said:
Wooooodum said:
Alyria said:

always been my method on drops

Always been my method for life in general!
 Siren.Anmorata
Serveur: Siren
user: Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-03-12 00:52:22
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I had always imagined it to add 8% of the % of the drop. eg: item has droprate of 40% and the the TH adds 3.2% to the original 40% droprate. I never find TH to give that greater chance for drops, even with TH4... But this is probably wrong.

I kinda believe it to be closer to 25% w/ TH2 and 27% w/ TH4, but this is just from years of being THF and farming alot.

but who really knows? I wish SE would just tell us already.
 Diabolos.Brian
Serveur: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Brian 2009-03-12 17:17:21
Link | Citer | R

Okay, here are some the the things I've heard.

Millionaire's Desk: gives an actual TH+1 stat IF your player has 1,000,000gil or more on their person.
Lucky Egg: Increases drop rate.
Wild Rabbit Tail: Increases drop rate.
Four-Leaf Mandragora Bud: Increases drop rate.
Trump Crown: Increases the drop rate of Beastmen's Seal and Kindred's Seal.
Direction of mob: If a mob is killed while facing the direction of the day's elemental HQ crafting direction it will increase the drop rate.
Killing blow: If the THF or /THF makes the killing blow (must also be a standard attack) on a mob, the drop rate will increase.
Multiple THFs: Having more than one THF with an active TH give you extra "rolls" on an items chances of dropping.
Lightsday: Killing a mob on Lightsday increases your drops while killing a mob on Darksday decreases drops.
Moon Phase: The more full the Moon is the better the drop rates.

I personally believe it's all bunk.
 Asura.Yotevol
Serveur: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-12 17:23:27
Link | Citer | R

Brian said:
Okay, here are some the the things I've heard.

Millionaire's Desk: gives an actual TH+1 stat IF your player has 1,000,000gil or more on their person.
Lucky Egg: Increases drop rate.
Wild Rabbit Tail: Increases drop rate.
Four-Leaf Mandragora Bud: Increases drop rate.
Trump Crown: Increases the drop rate of Beastmen's Seal and Kindred's Seal.
Direction of mob: If a mob is killed while facing the direction of the day's elemental HQ crafting direction it will increase the drop rate.
Killing blow: If the THF or /THF makes the killing blow (must also be a standard attack) on a mob, the drop rate will increase.
Multiple THFs: Having more than one THF with an active TH give you extra "rolls" on an items chances of dropping.
Lightsday: Killing a mob on Lightsday increases your drops while killing a mob on Darksday decreases drops.
Moon Phase: The more full the Moon is the better the drop rates.

I personally believe it's all bunk.

I personally believe it's all garbage too, except the moon phase.
I'm not easily swayed by things like that, but let's says that I've seen some crazy things happen on full moons...

~Yote
 Remora.Mordechi
Serveur: Remora
user: Mordechi
By Remora.Mordechi 2009-03-22 14:03:44
Link | Citer | R

Someone brought up SE giving some people good drops while giving others bad drops (Something along those lines, don't feel like quoting.) and this reminded me of a theory I've had for a long time now.

Anyone who played PSO (Phantasy Star Online) will remember that when you created a character, your character was given a medal by their name. Those medals determined the types of drops you would get (Mesa, Items, Rare Items, ect.) and you could (after some time with the game) figure out the codes you wanted for the medals. Therefore you could create a character with the specific intention of giving it the ability to get certain types of drops.

One of the bigger PSO sites (I'm old school, I don't remember the sites name even ; ;) had a basic generator you could use, type in the desired character name, and it would tell you the type of medal you would get. When I played hardcore back then, it was something I did when I wanted a specific type of item.

Now that the backdrop has been completed I've often wondered if there is perhaps the same type of thing in FFXI, simply without giving us a hint by displaying our medals.

I.E. I have extremely good luck on Lizzy. I have gotten over 12 pair of boots from her for pretty much all of my close or RL friends who play the game. At first I believed this to be luck, until I was getting boots on the 1st or 2nd kill every time. Granted I would also get lucky and see a lot of double pops, but that doesn't effect TH.

The exact opposite can be said about a THF friend of mine, who until he quit the game, would still camp Lizzy without having ever seen a single pair of boots drop. Every form of TH, he even tried the "Lucky" items to no avail.

Why do I bring him up?

Because on most other mobs, he would get the drops easily with little to no effort in either camping or waiting for a spawn. This wasn't really noticed until my brother started getting drops off of one of the Orc Machines in Ghelsba, but again, this friend w/TH4, no matter how much time he spent, could never get the Lantern Shield. At this time my brother was a War/Mnk around level 30. No TH involved.

We watched him go 1/1 on Ochi's, 1/1 on Fuma's, ect. It simply seemed that some items he would camp never dropped, while others he could have the drops whenever he wished.

I have another friend who has my kind of luck but on the Valk Emp. Since we have a RL group of anywhere between 5-10 people who play constantly, we've actually been able to pay attention to things like this that happen.

Could it all have been a big coincidence? Of course.

But it has always seemed strange to me that different people I've played with always seem to have a drop or two that you turn to them and ask for help with, because they never have a problem getting it to drop.

Whoa, text wall, just my 2 cents though.
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 14:11:17
Link | Citer | R

Mordechi said:
I have gotten over 12 pair of boots from her for pretty much all of my close or RL friends who play the game. At first I believed this to be luck, until I was getting boots on the 1st or 2nd kill every time.

Come to Fairy and be my friend lol
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 15:16:12
Link | Citer | R

Basic human psychology has always shown that the more true randomness and less independent variables a system has, the less randomness and more independent variables people will claim it has.

In other words, the more layers people think SE put into the game, based on anecdotal evidence, the less likely they are to exist.

With our combined MMO development experience, and fairly intimate understanding of the FFXI code base by now, I think I can safely say that no such system exists.
 Asura.Zekky
Serveur: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-03-22 16:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Jaerik said:
Basic human psychology has always shown that the more true randomness and less independent variables a system has, the less randomness and more independent variables people will claim it has.

In other words, the more layers people think SE put into the game, based on anecdotal evidence, the less likely they are to exist.

With our combined MMO development experience, and fairly intimate understanding of the FFXI code base by now, I think I can safely say that no such system exists.

What he said. Nice.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-03-22 16:25:19
Link | Citer | R

I've always wondered about the questionaire when you first start the game, you get a question that has 3 answers. the NPC says "What do you want to do?"
-Kill monsters
-Make money
-Do quests.
This could be something along that lines if it did exist, quests answer could be something like orb/bcnm luck, money could be farming drops, and kill monsters could be skillup chances or something idk. totally random thought.
 Shiva.Whitejune
Serveur: Shiva
user: Whitejune
By Shiva.Whitejune 2009-03-23 11:55:54
Link | Citer | R

the questionaire thought does make sense, why else would they ask you such a random question?
Maybe it also has to do with the job you start out with, giving you some kind of personal stat.
Like ppl who start out as thf get better drop, ppl who start out as war get more hate or hit harder then others. just a thought.
Could all just be random. some ppl get more lucky then others. personally, i have no luck on bcnm's (did jellys like 10 times already and haven't gotten a decent drop yet). I have no luck on NM's either, if i'm only one trying to pop it, it will never show till someone comes, kills one of the placeholders and it pops right away.

The only people who really know if the luck items would work is SE, and would they ever really tell the truth? Come on, if such luck items excists and they work, why would SE tell us? So the RMT can use them too and get more drops? Maybe best thing to do is just try it out. farm with it and without on the same moonphase ofcourse, in the same zone, as the same job. see if there are any diffrences in drops.

I do believe nothing in this game is random, and everything is there for a reason.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-23 11:59:20
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
Alyria said:

Win.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-23 12:01:43
Link | Citer | R

Jaerik said:

This. All other responses about stats and what job u start as and w/e else = fail.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
user: Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-23 12:09:22
Link | Citer | R

I seem to notice drop rates of certain things to be a bit better and better OFF w/o TH depending on type of item you're looking into. I got Sarutobi Kyahan about 2+ weeks ago with RNG75/SAM37 and I wasn't even looking into getting it. Quu Domi the Gallant sorta just popped and I walked over to him, hit sidewinder and he dropped the item lol...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-23 12:19:36
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:

What if you are gimp though? You sure {/laugh} wont effect enmity on {Warcry} when you do that? >:O? lulz
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-03-23 12:20:27
Link | Citer | R

Bartimaeus said:
I think they call that.. luck, Elka. :P

XD Yea, I know. But srsly I dunno how. I think the way it goes for me is, the more I don't search for it, the more my TH increases w/o it! XDD