Skilling Up Shield..

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Skilling up shield..
Skilling up shield..
 Siren.Antigod
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AnTi90d
By Siren.Antigod 2009-03-10 14:22:36
Link | Citer | R

Hey.. I've been skilling up some weapons on Thief out of boredom, using Dancer as a sub job. I'd like to raise my shield skill as well, and would like your opinion on which of these two shields would raise my shield skill faster:

1.) Master shield (shield Skill +10) This is a type 2 shield.

2.) Light Buckler (shield Skill +5) This is a type 1 shield.

I was told that having a higher shield skill will raise my chances of using a shield and thus having a chance at getting a skill up. I was also told that type 1 shields will block more often than any other type of shield. Unfortunately, no one really quantified the increases.. So, in your opinion, which of the two shields do you believe would raise my shield skill the fastest?
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-10 14:24:28
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I'd go with Master Shield. I think the extra 5 skill would help it's proc rate more so than being a slightly higher tier. And tier 2 shield is still pretty down there and should have a decent activation rate.

But this is strictly opinion, I'm sure both shields would work nicely for what it is you're doing, I suppose the most clear solution is to use what is cheapest lol.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-10 14:25:35
Link | Citer | R

For skillups I'd go with Light Buckler. The type 1 shields have highest block rate. Grab other shield skill + items such as Shield Torque, Bucker Earring, Boxers Mantel, etc. You can easily make up for the +5 difference in skill from the two items.

Use AF legs for THF also =)
 Fenrir.Carth
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Carth
By Fenrir.Carth 2009-03-10 14:43:13
Link | Citer | R

When it comes to block rate, type 1 shield > all shields. Go with Light Buckler and get as much shield gear as you can.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2009-03-10 14:44:34
Link | Citer | R

One other kinda-option... the Sipar from Adamantoise. It has a 98% chance to block supposedly, but blocks only 5% of the damage. If you are trying to skillup shield, and can have a HNM shell or helping a MNK friend this is an option (probably the best, but a lot of time invested camping it).
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-10 14:45:44
Link | Citer | R

Thf can't equip sipar
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-10 17:43:11
Link | Citer | R

A friend of mine is trying to do this as well...wants to have shield maxed for Maat fight, but it's slooooow going for him. With his evasion so high, he dodges like everything, so the shield never procs. He's only got WAR to 25 and PLD to like...1 (lol) so he can't even skill it on another job. I think he's got it in the 50's right now.

Anyone that's actually managed to level shield skill with a THF that has any suggestions, please lemme know, I'll pass it along to him.
 Siren.Delirium
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-11 11:25:26
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
A friend of mine is trying to do this as well...wants to have shield maxed for Maat fight, but it's slooooow going for him. With his evasion so high, he dodges like everything, so the shield never procs. He's only got WAR to 25 and PLD to like...1 (lol) so he can't even skill it on another job. I think he's got it in the 50's right now.

Anyone that's actually managed to level shield skill with a THF that has any suggestions, please lemme know, I'll pass it along to him.

i took a light buckler and as much evasion - gear i could into "skill level" appropriate zones. stack as much -evasion and -agi as you can for you level and it'll help tremendously
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-11 11:33:46
Link | Citer | R

Agi is also the mod for blocking if i remember correctly, so that isn't something you would want to do.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-11 11:38:00
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
Agi is also the mod for blocking if i remember correctly, so that isn't something you would want to do.

y'know i totally forgot that. i gave up on fighting maat (steal method for me) but antigod doesnt have that choice. if that IS the case minus evasion onry!!!
 Lakshmi.Avinne
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Avinne
By Lakshmi.Avinne 2009-03-11 11:42:53
Link | Citer | R

I capped my shield skill in a very short time on the black mandies (pucks?) in den of rancor. Go PLD/RDM or PLD/WAR and bring a RDM friend to phalanx you and you'll loooove how quickly you get skill ups. I think I honestly used koenig shield (kicked myself for not grabbing a buckler), but still capped out very quickly.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-11 14:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Avinne said:
I capped my shield skill in a very short time on the black mandies (pucks?) in den of rancor. Go PLD/RDM or PLD/WAR and bring a RDM friend to phalanx you and you'll loooove how quickly you get skill ups. I think I honestly used koenig shield (kicked myself for not grabbing a buckler), but still capped out very quickly.

dude this was a THF asking for suggestions not a PLD
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-11 14:58:31
Link | Citer | R

like someone else said, small shields always block more often than the larger shields, so go with the small one. also add AGI to give you a higher shield skill (2 AGI gives 1 shield skill along with other nifty stats). i didnt look at your lvl, but mandragoras are best for skilling up for obvious reasons... if you can take on 3 of them at a time and turn slightly right then you will get shield skill like it's nothin.
 Siren.Antigod
user: AnTi90d
By Siren.Antigod 2009-03-11 15:20:01
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the advice! I'm out in Cape Terrigan skilling on rabbits and crabs now.. got the small shield and its working better than I expected.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-11 17:00:28
Link | Citer | R

Antigod said:
Thanks for the advice! I'm out in Cape Terrigan skilling on rabbits and crabs now.. got the small shield and its working better than I expected.

as far as thf test goes steal if from tonberries and hide. i found that to be the easiest way to do it
 Phoenix.Azuzu
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Azuzu
By Phoenix.Azuzu 2009-03-11 17:47:20
Link | Citer | R

An alternative to cape terrigan is the Korrigan in the boyhada tree. subbing dnc would be a big help too.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-11 17:51:57
Link | Citer | R

Delirium said:
Avinne said:

dude this was a THF asking for suggestions not a PLD

True, but I think the black mandies idea is a great one--Fighting MNK types means they attack faster=you get hit more often=higher chances of blocking with a shield.

The advantage to skilling WEAPONS on crabs is because of their high defense, meaning you don't need to pull as many crabs since you hit them for less HP.

In short, skilling up Shield/Parry/Evasion/Guard should be done on MNK types, and skilling up weapons should be done on PLD types.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-11 17:57:29
Link | Citer | R

Anye said:
True, but I think the black mandies idea is a great one--Fighting MNK types means they attack faster=you get hit more often=higher chances of blocking with a shield.

The advantage to skilling WEAPONS on crabs is because of their high defense, meaning you don't need to pull as many crabs since you hit them for less HP.

In short, skilling up Shield/Parry/Evasion/Guard should be done on MNK types, and skilling up weapons should be done on PLD types.

i totally agree, but skill ups would be much faster in "skill level" appropriate zones. trying to get to 189 shield from 50 in boyhada will be a pain in the *** but 150>>189 not so much
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-11 18:08:40
Link | Citer | R

Delirium said:
Anye said:

i totally agree, but skill ups would be much faster in "skill level" appropriate zones. trying to get to 189 shield from 50 in boyhada will be a pain in the *** but 150>>189 not so much

there are other areas with mandragora. Yhoator Jungle will take you beyond 100 and the mandies in the past will take you even further.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-03-11 19:33:23
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:

Correct AGI is the mod. Honestly, I would atempt to level PLD to start if it is very low. a 70THF has the same shield skill as a 54 PLD.

For skillup mobs, I agree with MNK type mobs (ex:Mandies).

For THF test, try Gobs in Lab. of Onzozo. You won't have to worry about Tonberry hate. After 2 Tonberry steals, I swapped the gobs.