Forum » FFXI » General » fishing advice
fishing advice
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-03-10 10:20:12
Link | Citer | R

ok im currently skill lv 27 (have been for years b/c nebs seemed to suit my gil needs) but recently people over fish them causing nebs barely worth the trouble. So I was thinking of raising my skill. A checked a few fishing guides and followed them but so far i have gotten .1 skillup in about an hour and a half. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what setup i should use and what i should target?

I dont have lu shang's yet so that could be part of the problem...
 Asura.Israfel
Serveur: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-03-10 10:41:48
Link | Citer | R

Um... 27ish is good for the selbina > Mhaura ferry!

Cone calamary are very nice to catch, these cap late 40's (48 maybe?) and are easy to reel in.
Best bait for these is a Minnow lure (purchaseable from the on-board guild store for a few hundred gil).
Either NPC or AH your stock, on Asura these aren't too over-fished like nebs are, but sometimes may not sell so quickly so good judgment is needed when it comes to selling^^.

Also, with minnow lure you can hook..... bluetail! These sell nicely in stacks on the AH so please do save these and not npc!!^^, These won't be as fast of a sale than nebs... but the money isn't bad, either.
These can also be caught with a Minnow lure and halcyon Rod on the same ferry.

With Halcyon be sure to release all !!! catches! These will break your rod :(, but if you ever get a composite rod, you may be able to land gugru tuna! But these rarely hook at lower levels, so you would be better off with a halcyon in the long-run.

I do hope this helps! and also, if you are ever able to get an albatross ring from the pirate chart BCNM (100% drop!!) This is very useful while skilling up on fish that have a lot of hitpoints! It gives you extra time to catch the fish you've hooked, and the more fish you catch = more skillups^^ so if you haven't got Inside the Belly quest active, maybe a friend might and they could help you^^

Enough of my ranting^^;; lol
I do hope this helps! :)
-Rin (Israfel)
 Seraph.Bachola
Serveur: Seraph
user: Bachola
By Seraph.Bachola 2009-03-10 10:43:03
Link | Citer | R

Hi Dubont

I'm currently @ Lv 38 Fishing , 1st I must say i have a Lu Shang's but @ Lv 27 I was fishing up Nebs in SSG 19 - 27 and skill up rate i found quite slow @ 27. I also did not like ferry fishing. I came up across one of many guides and decided to try out City fishing and Bastok was one nice place to skill up. my advice to you is buy a few Worm lures at the WhiteGate Guild and head to Bastok Markets next to the AH.

I Did 27 - 33 in no time skill up I found was really good and fun. Your only going to target skill up fishes. Dark Bass cap 33 and Black Eel cap 47. Although these are great money makers they are an easy way to grind to Lv 33.

Take note Black Eel sell for about 6k on my server but not fast. These are mostly ppl that need Guild Points so they buy these fish, Dark Bass I would simply NPC them

Good Luck ^^
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-03-10 10:44:49
Link | Citer | R

Hehe I completely forgot about the Dark bass :)! and um... Squirrel avatar is cute *_* lol
</derail off>
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-03-10 10:55:07
Link | Citer | R

im not really one to use expendable bait (i hate having to re-equip them every 12 fish) so would a worm lure work on dark bass or is it one of those fish where lures hardly catch them (grr moat carp)
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-03-10 11:12:26
Link | Citer | R

as with all fishing spots there's a chance of hooking items and such, but worm lures are really good for dark bass. Bastok is a nice spot for this since you can hook 2x fish with your lure ^^;, the bite-rate is pretty good ^^
 Ifrit.Durai
Serveur: Ifrit
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-10 11:22:48
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
i hate having to re-equip them every 12 fish

Just make a fishing macro and you'll never have to re-equip.

/equip ammo "bait"
/fish
 Seraph.Bachola
By Seraph.Bachola 2009-03-10 12:10:31
Link | Citer | R

Yup buy yourself 1 Worm lure and try Bastok Market you'll be surprised

Like I mentioned both Fish bite on that lure
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-03-10 12:20:15
Link | Citer | R

will a black eel snap my line/rod @ skill 28? (thats what im at now thx for the dark basstip)
 Seraph.Bachola
By Seraph.Bachola 2009-03-10 12:30:31
Link | Citer | R

Yeah i just checked via Wiki Black Eel will possibly break your Composite or Halcyon Rod, I didn't look into it when I 1st posted, As mentioned earlier I used a Lu to fish that area. I guess take care while fishing up an Eel. You can tell the difference in Stamina tho when you have the Eel on the line. you will catch an avg 3/1 dark Bass, so If you feel Stamina bar depleting slower and you don't want to snap your rod I say don't take the chance and just let it go.
 Gilgamesh.Udasai
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Udasai
By Gilgamesh.Udasai 2009-03-10 13:13:01
Link | Citer | R

I fished bastok to early 30's and went for Dark bass. Tried my hand at shall shells after, but found them to be low bite rate and slow skill ups at that lvl. So around 34 ish I went on the boat and did the cone calamary deal.As I got higher I swithed to slice of Bluetail which got calamary and some Marlin which was nice for charts. with slice of Blue tail you could get calamary, blue tail , and marlin, so this can take you to 61. I ended up leaving around 55-57 ish and went to Nashmau and used a shrimp lure to catch ahtapot and mercanbaligi. That'll take you to the upper 80's if not 90. I just switched to Lugworms and I'm fishing pterygotus which cap at 99. 90.7 right now.

Fishing can be a cruel mistress, sometimes no skill ups for 3 hrs, sometimes .5 lvls in 20 mins. Pelican rings, albatross rings, and Penguin Rings are your friend.