Possible Use For PLD?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Possible use for PLD?
Possible use for PLD?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-24 00:57:02
Link | Citer | R

Oh god its so breezy in here, let's all just sit down a minute

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 01:17:51
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer.

Damn those SSs of a PLD using a GS in party that SE puts out there! Stupid A Club and Staff, damn that proficiency with weapons! Those are not for damage! They are for mitigating damage while the mob ignores you!

Back at 75 I advocated a DD PLD as being the best way to hold hate, even on something like Byakko. Why? Because it worked better than a turtle PLD if the people geared right, ate right, and did it right.

Wouldn't be fair to make PLD stronger. PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer. Right now any job with a WHM can pretty much tank cuz doesn't matter how much damage they take whm can just spam cure. So either change the damage taken so that they can't tank anymore compared to a tank (which would still suck cuz DDs will cap hate faster than PLD and just die) or change how the hate system works! What's wrong with that idea :(

What is wrong with that is hate system reworked or not, PLD is still useless.

They just ought to be made a front line DD WHM (even though a good WHM still probably out DD them in abyssea XD) at this point in the game. It is easier, simpler, and less time consuming to do than rework the hate system for one loljob.
You just don't get it. If the hate system was reworked PLD would not be useless >anymore<. It is right now. Ppl are mad because of that. SE needs to do something about it. Change hate system and voila PLD might be useful again compared to other jobs. Right now it is not but who knows what they have planned for the future. Not like I give a ***about PLD it is just an idea how they might make it useful. What does it matter if they have A in club or staff. If PLD was meant to be a DD then SE did something wrong from the start and Why would Paladin be a DD srsly.. In no other game is that a DD.
who just doesn't get it? nobody cares if pld can only hold hate better. in order for pld to be useful, they either have to do more damage, which would be an unlikely adjustment, or it has to be difficult for every other job to tank mobs without dying.

edit: oh yeah, or be a better healer.

That is why I said they need to adjust the hate from curing too. If a MNK can't keep hate off a WHM then they will have problems. It is not a perfect idea by any means but I think it is the best way to solve the problem with PLD. Not saying it is worth it
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 01:22:09
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:

Damn those SSs of a PLD using a GS in party that SE puts out there! Stupid A Club and Staff, damn that proficiency with weapons! Those are not for damage! They are for mitigating damage while the mob ignores you!

Back at 75 I advocated a DD PLD as being the best way to hold hate, even on something like Byakko. Why? Because it worked better than a turtle PLD if the people geared right, ate right, and did it right.

Wouldn't be fair to make PLD stronger. PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer. Right now any job with a WHM can pretty much tank cuz doesn't matter how much damage they take whm can just spam cure. So either change the damage taken so that they can't tank anymore compared to a tank (which would still suck cuz DDs will cap hate faster than PLD and just die) or change how the hate system works! What's wrong with that idea :(

They just ought to be made a front line DD WHM (even though a good WHM still probably out DD them in abyssea XD) at this point in the game. It is easier, simpler, and less time consuming to do than rework the hate system for one loljob.
You just don't get it. If the hate system was reworked PLD would not be useless >anymore<. It is right now. Ppl are mad because of that. SE needs to do something about it. Change hate system and voila PLD might be useful again compared to other jobs. Right now it is not but who knows what they have planned for the future. Not like I give a ***about PLD it is just an idea how they might make it useful. What does it matter if they have A in club or staff. If PLD was meant to be a DD then SE did something wrong from the start and Why would Paladin be a DD srsly.. In no other game is that a DD.
who just doesn't get it? nobody cares if pld can only hold hate better. in order for pld to be useful, they either have to do more damage, which would be an unlikely adjustment, or it has to be difficult for every other job to tank mobs without dying.

That is why I said they need to adjust the hate from curing too. If a MNK can't keep hate off a WHM then they will have problems. It is not a perfect idea by any means but I think it is the best way to solve the problem with PLD. Not saying it is worth it
Break the game to make one job worth using, got it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 01:25:16
Link | Citer | R

God it's just ideas.. Making it as strong as other DDs is complete ***. Never even said I like PLD or I want it to be good again. Just throwing in some ideas cuz some ppl seem to care about that job. All I hear is "PLD is useless and will always be useless aslong as it's not as strong as other DDs". Not saying my idea is awesome but that would be a way to make it good again

Edit: Buuut anyway, *** this job. Will never be good.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 01:31:09
Link | Citer | R

You hear that because this argument has been done to death (there's how many threads on this topic on FFXIAH alone?) and there's no way to make PLD worth using without breaking the game, making it a clone of another job, or creating a mob where PLD and only PLD can successfully withstand it (which is not only bad game design in that it forces you to use one job out of 20, it's worse because it necessitates Ochain). Otherwise, other jobs will always outclass it.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Spccdog
Serveur: Odin
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-02-24 01:50:54
Link | Citer | R

paladin is dead, level mnk but dont be a gimp bandwagoner
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-24 01:54:51
Link | Citer | R

Hey everyone, lets throw off game balance for a single job for a "fix" that still does not fix anything!

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

Amazing, you ask if I am "*** dumb", but you seem to STILL just not get it yourself Finalvegeta.
It would fix the jobs usefulness. Thats all.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-24 01:58:30
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
utility of pld: town gear for all those aegis-wielders out there, even more-so the case for those who decided to waste a handful of time building an ochain

Utility of Ironguy:

nothing.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-02-24 01:59:55
Link | Citer | R

Speculationspeculation, speculationspeculationspeculation. Speculation! Speculationspeculationspesulation. Speculation? SpecuLATIONspeculation.

What if this? What if that? Whoopty doo!

*goes off on an insane tirade*
 Asura.Alexstaifter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-02-24 02:02:29
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:

Break the game to make one job worth using, got it.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
You hear that because this argument has been done to death (there's how many threads on this topic on FFXIAH alone?) and there's no way to make PLD worth using without breaking the game, making it a clone of another job, or creating a mob where PLD and only PLD can successfully withstand it (which is not only bad game design in that it forces you to use one job out of 20, it's worse because it necessitates Ochain). Otherwise, other jobs will always outclass it.

Outside of FFXI, Paladins/Knights Have been basicly a Dark Knight with White mage (instead of black magic) so they would be a DD as well, in other games.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Paladin

Even listed here, paladins could do pretty big damage, with the ability to do low level healing, and protecting party members.

The problem is people think that a job that can do damage, hold hate and heal itself will break the game, but jesus...

~cough~ ....Dancer.... ~cough~

So honestly, the easiest and more effective way improve paladin overall is to boost it's attacking abilities.

Honestly I know that wont happen, I am just saying it would. focus on more abilities that pull hate from enemies (Something close to what Thfs have ((As I mentioned in a early post)) Cover would need to be extended for better use, and an Advanced version of Cover to be made to cover the whole party (Something like, When it is activated, as long as the paladin is In front of the mob, it will hit the paladin, regardless of which party member it is focused on)

I think it's important paladin keep's their defense bonuses and such, but boosting their attack, maybe with traits or other abilities.

I know my statements are a bit out there, but you gotta look at the last 3 major updates or so that been released with level cap, what has Paladin gotten?

Abilities

lv78 Divine Emblem
For what it is worth, makes basicly "Flash" generate more hate, and you have to wait 10 mins to use it again, so you can do 1-2 flashes per 10 mins with a boosted Enmity gain. (Not much of a update here)

lv87 Sepulcher
A ability with the specific purpose of weakening Undead type enemies. Being realistic, how often at the 87+ mark are people really fighting Undead like that? and with again, with a 10 min recast time, it really isn't something overall useful for a pld to use.

So basicly, for 9 months no useful job abilities were given to paladin.

Job Traits

lv76 Defense Bonus V
More defense boost, always good in general

lv77 Shield Defense Bonus
Makes the reason for using a shield more purposeful for a paladin (Though Shield Mastery was a bigger help when it came out for shield use)

lv79 Critical Defense Bonus
Something along the course Defense Bonus V, just a way to reduce damage, not a bad thing.

The abilities that were released were not too bad for what paladin is at the moment, however the bad note on this would be that only for the June update, paladin got extra traits, 81-90 nothing at all, what a shame.

Spells

Lv 77 Phalanx
Off the say, a very great add on to paladin's list of spells, enough said.

lv 80 Shell IV
A basic needed add on, extra magic defense for the job.

lv 85 Enlight
A first step in the right direction, adding a means to increase paladin's damage output, even by a little, it is still something worth noting.

lv 90 Protect V
Another defense increase spell.

The Shell and Protect being obvious spells for paladin up the levels, Phalanx and Enlight were great add ons to paladin both in the defense and offense department. Cure V I would honestly expect and probably Shell V at the next markers. (And I doubt any other spells will come up, unless they are brand new spells and of course I am not account for the add on of Tier 3 merits that will probably come out after the 99 cap)

Equipment JSE

hasn't been a lot of new gear in the game in general, but this is what they made to work with paladin up to the 90 mark (This assuming everyone gets to the +2 set)

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Creed_Cuirass_Set_%2B2

The easy to notice defense stuff I wont bother pointing out, but If you take a look at the listing, they are also pushing up Atk stats for paladin.

+Atk
+Str
+Acc
+Haste

Of course it is no where near Major DD jobs (Such as Drg, Sam, War, etc)

But it seems like they wanna bring out the attack focus out of paladin, just like more classic FF games.

All and all, Paladin still needs a lot of work, and I believe if not around the 99 cap, I would surely hope that the Tier 3 merits would help redeem paladin (with minor update fixes as well).

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 02:14:45
Link | Citer | R

Clearly pld needs an auras like in Diablo 2
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-02-24 02:24:13
Link | Citer | R

By all means. I'll be the guy yelling "Fiiiiiiii-yyuuuuuuh" like the beginning of this song:

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-24 02:51:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Alexstaifter said:
Outside of FFXI, Paladins/Knights Have been basicly a Dark Knight with White mage (instead of black magic) so they would be a DD as well, in other games.

Even listed here, paladins could do pretty big damage, with the ability to do low level healing, and protecting party members.

The problem is people think that a job that can do damage, hold hate and heal itself will break the game,
No. I can name multiple jobs that fit your criteria that are not considered broken as a result. The key is that in FFXI (NOT IN OTHER GAMES. Other games make the PLD concept work) specific in-game mechanics make an otherwise good class fail to perform. It's how well it does each of those that matters, and how this plays out given the fact that hate caps in FFXI and DDing is an exceedingly efficient way to generate hate.

Quote:
Mid-tier DD + healer inside Abyssea, high-tier tank, but not simultaneously tops in 2+ categories. Hence, not overpowered. Next?

Quote:
So honestly, the easiest and more effective way improve paladin overall is to boost it's attacking abilities.
Holy ***, it's like you didn't even read the thread.

As long as the mages don't get eaten, whoever deals damage the fastest is the best tank. Thus, the only way to boost PLD's abilities via DDing in any way that matters is to make them the best DD, or at least as good as other DDs. If you do that, you've made one class useful at the expense of half a dozen others because there's no longer a reason to use the other jobs. This is not good game design. FFXI suffers from it enough already, let's not encourage the trend.

Quote:
an Advanced version of Cover to be made to cover the whole party (Something like, When it is activated, as long as the paladin is In front of the mob, it will hit the paladin, regardless of which party member it is focused on
If this isn't something you can keep up fulltime it doesn't really matter, because eventually the DDs will have hate again and thus have to play as if the PLD wasn't there for at least part of the time. Subjob choices may also be affected. If it is something you can keep up fulltime, the entire enmity system is rendered pointless.
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-02-24 03:17:01
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Alexstaifter said:

The problem is people think that a job that can do damage, hold hate and heal itself will break the game,
No. I can name multiple jobs that fit your criteria that are not considered broken as a result. The key is that in FFXI (NOT IN OTHER GAMES. Other games make the PLD concept work) specific in-game mechanics make an otherwise good class fail to perform. It's how well it does each of those that matters, and how this plays out given the fact that hate caps in FFXI and DDing is an exceedingly efficient way to generate hate.

This part here, I don't even see what your saying really. It doesn't change what I said, that giving an increase to damage for paladins just as they have in other games, in this game would make them more effective, seeing as damage has a great deal of effect with Hate control, of course you would not put it anywhere near 2h weapon damage, and Swords being the second strongest 1h weapon, their output should be a lot higher (Seeing how a Dagger weapon skill (like with dancer) can do 1500+ dmg, yet a paladin using a sword barely mops over 1200+ (Im speaking in terms of the normal WS not any "Final WSs". ) A Sword doing closer to par damage with Axes at the very least would increase enmity gain for plds in general.

Quote:
Mid-tier DD + healer inside Abyssea, high-tier tank, hence nobody's up in arms about it being broken. Next?

The simple point I made here was that something that can heal and do decent or higher damage isnt new to the game.

Quote:
Holy ***, it's like you didn't even read the thread.

As long as the mages don't get eaten, whoever deals damage the fastest is the best tank. Thus, the only way to boost PLD's abilities via DDing in any way that matters is to make them the best DD, or at least as good as other DDs. If you do that, you've made one class useful at the expense of half a dozen others. This is not good game design. FFXI suffers from it enough already, let's not encourage the trend.

At the expense of what? Even at the 50 mark, paladins have a hard time controlling hate on their on against DDs who can spawn 500-800+ dmg WS at that lv range. You think of it in a term of use, that other jobs won't get used as much if pld can do near DD level damage. At the very worst, it'll be like a DD with /dnc up, being able to heal itself as well, but at a much more limited manner (in sense of healing).

Quote:
an Advanced version of Cover to be made to cover the whole party (Something like, When it is activated, as long as the paladin is In front of the mob, it will hit the paladin, regardless of which party member it is focused on
If this isn't something you can keep up fulltime it doesn't really matter, because eventually the DDs will have hate again and thus have to play as if the PLD wasn't there for at least part of the time. Subjob choices may also be affected. If it is something you can keep up fulltime, the entire enmity system is rendered pointless.

Of course if you look at this as one piece, it doesn't seem like a good idea, but If you take it as a whole to the whole thing I posted, it works out a lot better. (It is easy to pick pieces and find faults, like single puzzle pieces. But If you make the whole puzzle, everything is clear.)

And I would say no, of course it wouldn't be full time, or if it is, we just make it a job trait "Cover" and you have to be infront of the player who has hate at the time (Just like the Ability), and it wouldn't make the hate system pointless, as hate could still change between DDs, healers and nukers, but the paladin would need to move towards that party member to block for them (which is the whole point of paladin in the first place, so it wouldnt be really be game breaking.)

In this game the point of PLD is to keep the monster on them, to protect everyone else. but if it does not have the tools to do so, it won't function as it is meant to. And people wanna complain about balance in sense of damage, every melee job can do decent to high damage, and pld can barely hit the decent marker, get it between decent and High, and it will get it's job done.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 03:22:41
Link | Citer | R

couldn't you just have the people with more hate both/all stand behind the pld? and his point was that it breaks the enmity system if you meant fulltime, which you said you didn't.
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-02-24 03:27:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
couldn't you just have the people with more hate both/all stand behind the pld? and his point was that it breaks the enmity system if you meant fulltime, which you said you didn't.

Right, though I added at the idea, of Cover being a Job trait instead of an ability, would work out wonders. The job is designed to tank and protect the party, so being able to do that full time wouldn't be a bad idea (it would solve the hate control issue in a sense)

And since you can move in combat, why not have paladin move in front of DDs or a whm that got large hate growth the protect them while they themselves build up more hate to re-take control of the monster.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-24 03:30:20
Link | Citer | R

i'm so confused, am i being trolled here

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-24 03:31:49
Link | Citer | R

Need some kind of job trait that slowly drains the emnity of everyone within a 20 yalm radius!
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-02-24 03:32:34
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
i'm so confused, am i being trolled here

Easy to get lost when he enjoys typing up novels.

Clearly my hobby to write does that to people (I am being serious when I say that)

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8