Magic, What Color Do You Use?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Magic, what color do you use?
Magic, what color do you use?
 Caitsith.Lyall
Serveur: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:19:14
Link | Citer | R

I played last at Christmas a year ago with someone's Red Burn. Ended up doing mostly nothing in a 5-man free for all and just sat hoarding my mana, playing some meaningless goblins and a dragon or two just to deter attackers. Minded my own business.

Ended the game with a sixteen-damage earthquake after we'd all taken some damage from each other in the first few scuffles.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:19:26
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lyall said:
Yeah, Slivers seem to either be an easy early win or painful, slow (or fast!) massacre as you get mana-starved and have nothing to block with except 1/1s you were planning on never using outside of the synergistic bonuses. Also, I haven't discussed Magic for years, this is awesome.
Part of the problem is you are spending 3 mana for a 1/1 when your openent is throwing out 2/2 or 3/3 for 1 mana lol. In competetive play decks assert control or can win thru combo/aggro by turn 4-5 even in type 2.... though I haven't played in like 2 years so not sure if it's still that fast.

Heck I once had a type 2 deck that once beat 4 people at once on turn 2
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Serveur: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-02-21 22:19:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:

[+]
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-02-21 22:20:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:
Yeah, Slivers seem to either be an easy early win or painful, slow (or fast!) massacre as you get mana-starved and have nothing to block with except 1/1s you were planning on never using outside of the synergistic bonuses. Also, I haven't discussed Magic for years, this is awesome.
Part of the problem is you are spending 3 mana for a 1/1 when your openent is throwing out 2/2 or 3/3 for 1 mana lol. In competetive play decks assert control or can win thru combo/aggro by turn 4-5 even in type 2.... though I haven't played in like 2 years so not sure if it's still that fast.

Slivers are actually illegal in tournaments lol.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:20:37
Link | Citer | R

i once tried making a 5 color sliver deck

did not end well
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:20:51
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Provoke is useless if you can't attack
 Alexander.Varistor
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2011-02-21 22:21:10
Link | Citer | R

I used to play. Man i loved playing Magic. I was state champ here in Wyoming the first year they had one here. I started during 3rd edition and left when 5th came out. My favorite deck i was working on was built around timetwister, library of alexandria, howling mines drawing cards. it was mainly blue/white with little red in there for wheel of fortune and a few others. It probably had a demonic tutor in there. hard to remember anymore tho been what, 11-12 years? I ended up winning the state tournament with the old chrono-stasis deck if anyone remembers those. Always did well with a red burn deck as well. Pyroclasm ftw. But my fave card was the timetwister
 Sylph.Ixe
Serveur: Sylph
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-02-21 22:21:25
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:

Monitored.
not quite totally illegal
I think the queen is a playable card but 7/8s of the slivers are banned
 Caitsith.Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:21:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:

Yeah, I'm with you there. Vast majority of my Magic experience is outside of a straight-competitive environment and mostly just for fun and trying to do the coolest combo or something.

Slivers get beaten by decks built to be quick-to-build and they get beat by things built to control, but I enjoyed playing them simply for the thrill of when it all worked perfectly.

I still probably prefer Blue Counter-Everything-That-Moves-and-even-if-it-doesn't, though. Wish I'd never lost those cards...
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-02-21 22:21:59
Link | Citer | R

I don't understand anything... dang dasva 2 years ago you played? it was 14 years for me lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:22:08
Link | Citer | R

As of 2 years ago there has not been a single sliver on the banned or restricted list for any format. So I guess you are talking about unsanctioned tournaments between friends
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lyall said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:

Yeah, I'm with you there. Vast majority of my Magic experience is outside of a straight-competitive environment and mostly just for fun and trying to do the coolest combo or something.

Slivers get beaten by decks built to be quick-to-build and they get beat by things built to control, but I enjoyed playing them simply for the thrill of when it all worked perfectly.

I still probably prefer Blue Counter-Everything-That-Moves-and-even-if-it-doesn't, though. Wish I'd never lost those cards...

one of my friends has an *** blue counter control deck
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:24:00
Link | Citer | R

Yeah just checked not a single sliver on the banned list for any non online format
[+]
 Caitsith.Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:24:00
Link | Citer | R

Those are the best for bluffing, too. Just always leave two blue mana untapped, and stare at them when they reach for a card, then place two fingers on your mana.

I'd always lay down two set aside specifically for calling people on it. Those were my contingency mana, and they were excellent.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:25:07
Link | Citer | R

yeah counter decks are mean

i think only my vampire deck beat his counter so far...
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-02-21 22:25:22
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

I believe that means they cant attack you directly? not your creatures.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:26:08
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lyall said:
Those are the best for bluffing, too. Just always leave two blue mana untapped, and stare at them when they reach for a card, then place two fingers on your mana.
Why bluff when you can counter everything for no mana?

Carbuncle.Axle said:
I don't understand anything... dang dasva 2 years ago you played? it was 14 years for me lol
I got back into it a few years ago. Did alot of tournaments and stuff pretty much every pre-release for 3-4 years before they started making them super lame
 Caitsith.Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:26:39
Link | Citer | R

Enh, I'm not too sure on that. You never declare an attack on creatures, you declare on your opponent and then they declare blockers.

You technically use Provoke as an interrupt between your declaration of attack and their declaration of defense, if I remember my mechanics right.
By Serj 2011-02-21 22:27:20
Link | Citer | R

I want to make a control/lockdown white/black deck. Haven't gotten in to magic enough to want to spend money on it, though.

I have a fun ninja black deck, and an absolutely lovely blue counter deck.

Oh, and the oh-so-common Atog deck that can kill you in 2-5 turns. After winning a few tournaments with Atog, I stopped playing with it. Just became boring.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:27:37
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I believe that means they cant attack you directly? not your creatures.
Yes it means they can't attack me but that's only because you can't attack creatures. You are attacking the player and then forcing them to block.
 Caitsith.Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:27:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:

Carbuncle.Axle said:
I got back into it a few years ago. Did alot of tournaments and stuff pretty much every pre-release for 3-4 years before they started making them super lame

Pfft! Why have creatures when you can just have MORE COUNTERS? I'll go on and put out again we played mostly for fun and left a lot of the GOOD ideas out in favor of "This is ridiculous, I have zero creatures in my deck! But I can counter everything in the game by turn two!"
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:28:27
Link | Citer | R

Serj said:
I want to make a control/lockdown white/black deck. Haven't gotten in to magic enough to want to spend money on it, though.

Oh, and the oh-so-common Atog deck that can kill you in 2-5 turns. After winning a few tournaments with Atog, I stopped playing with it. Just became boring.

if you want to start off with decent cards there is a 200-250 card box sold at a lot of places that comes with a lot of semi-random cards

it's only 20 bucks too

and i've gotten better cards out of it as opposed to buying random packs
 Sylph.Ixe
Serveur: Sylph
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-02-21 22:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Quote:

As of 2 years ago there has not been a single sliver on the banned or restricted list for any format. So I guess you are talking about unsanctioned tournaments between friends
Updated December 20, 2010

Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it must contain exactly fifteen cards.

With the exception of basic land cards, a player’s combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent. All cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are basic. (The five Ice Age block snow-covered lands -- Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain, and Snow-Covered Forest -- are also basic lands. Note that snow-covered lands are permitted only in formats that allow expansions from the Ice Age block to be used.)

The DCI sanctions the following Block Constructed formats:

* Scars of Mirrodin block (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, "Action" [Effective May 13, 2011])
* Zendikar-Rise of the Eldrazi block (Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi)
* Shards of Alara block (Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn)
* Lorwyn-Shadowmoor block (Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide)
* Time Spiral block (Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight)
* Ravnica block (Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension)
* Kamigawa block (Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa)
* Mirrodin block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn)
* Onslaught block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge)
* Odyssey block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment)
* Invasion block (Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse)
* Masques block (Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Prophecy)
* Urza block (Urza's Saga, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny)
* Tempest block (Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus)
* Mirage block (Mirage, Visions, Weatherlight)
* Ice Age block (Ice Age, Alliances, Coldsnap)

Most slivers were introduced in Time Spiral iirc
So they must have lifted that Ban D:
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:28:45
Link | Citer | R

Creature based decks are kinda required to go fast
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:29:26
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lyall said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:

Carbuncle.Axle said:

Pfft! Why have creatures when you can just have MORE COUNTERS? I'll go on and put out again we played mostly for fun and left a lot of the GOOD ideas out in favor of "This is ridiculous, I have zero creatures in my deck! But I can counter everything in the game by turn two!"

counter decks without anything but counters seems kinda silly to me

unless you have some mind controls or watever the *** they are
 Caitsith.Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-02-21 22:29:52
Link | Citer | R

Slivers were Weatherlight and that block. Forget the official name, Tempest?

Edit, nevermind, it's on the list.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:30:12
Link | Citer | R

have any of you tried making an eldrazi deck yet?

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-21 22:31:33
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Lyall said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
counter decks without anything but counters seems kinda silly to me unless you have some mind controls or watever the *** they are
Actually that deck I think had no actual counter spells lol. Just ways to get to my patron quicker (including very aggressive mulligans) and monoblue tricks to getting mana faster.... and of course lots of wizards
By Serj 2011-02-21 22:32:01
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Serj said:

if you want to start off with decent cards there is a 200-250 card box sold at a lot of places that comes with a lot of semi-random cards

it's only 20 bucks too

I misworded that. I haven't gotten back in to magic to spend money on it again. I have like, 3k cards in my bedroom still, lol.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-21 22:33:01
Link | Citer | R

Serj said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Serj said:

it's only 20 bucks too

I misworded that. I haven't gotten back in to magic to spend money on it again. I have like, 3k cards in my bedroom still, lol.

you can still get decent cards for cheap this way