Forum » FFXI » General » daggers
daggers
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-02-09 15:18:35
Link | Citer | R

Out of all the various new dd daggers in game in what order would they come as far dmg output. Also including Yataghan and where woudl it be listed with various augments max that can be +8 dmg +6% crit hit dmg. at what augment amount does it really rank up there.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
Serveur: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-09 15:37:00
Link | Citer | R

str kila+2 is a pretty beastly dps dagger
dex kila+2 is also really good
twilight dagger is a great offhand
rapidus sax is a great offhand
auric dagger is a good substitute for rapidus sax as an offhand

if you're too lazy to do magian, then twilight and rapidus sax is a good combo

auric/rapidus is also good, fast dot but a bit lower damage overall due to the lower dmg daggers

yataghan would need a near perfect augment to keep up with the rest of the daggers

oh and thf knife still an essential offhand dagger at some point in the fight(s)!
 Bahamut.Enkidou
Serveur: Bahamut
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2011-02-09 15:43:58
Link | Citer | R

Main: STR Kila +2
Off: Triplus
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-02-09 15:46:10
Link | Citer | R

where does Angr Harpe and triplus rank

edit an of course both trial ws daggers beat them all
 Bahamut.Enkidou
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2011-02-09 15:47:27
Link | Citer | R

Angr has very nice damage, but the high delay stands out.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Serveur: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-09 15:52:21
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
where does Angr Harpe and triplus rank

totally forgot about those lol

angr harpe is another good "lazy" mainhand weapon
triplus is also a great offhand dagger, probably the best in abyssea and maybe outside of abyssea(loloutside)

with so much triple attack available for thf in abyssea, the 'increases triple attack damage' portion of that knife becomes more relevant

Phoenix.Kirana
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 15:56:10
Link | Citer | R

Main hand
Twashtar>Mandau>Str Kila>Perfect Yata>Dex Kila

Offhand
Triplus>Twilight>Rapidus
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-02-09 16:13:31
Link | Citer | R

ya i figure only dagger trials id do would be for ws one and maybe if ever the eva one
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 16:20:39
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
ya i figure only dagger trials id do would be for ws one and maybe if ever the eva one

The WS+10% dagger has a base damage of 40. During WS that damage is augmented to 44 (40+ 40x.1)). Str kila would easily beat that with fulltime 43 DMG and str/attk+. Dex kila probably beats it as well due to dex mod on WSs.

edit: for those who didn't know, the +10% is not applied as a bonus to the overall WS damage, it is applied to the base weapon damage before WS calculations.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-02-09 16:22:38
Link | Citer | R

like my str-kila+2/HQ parazonium+2
 Sylph.Binckry
Serveur: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2011-02-09 16:26:43
Link | Citer | R

would twilight/auric be any good or should i work on the str kila?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 16:32:00
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Binckry said:
would twilight/auric be any good or should i work on the str kila?

Auric is good for a subtle blow build, if you need the +10 to cap

str kila/Twilight or str kila/triplus will easily beat it for DPS.
By Waron 2011-02-09 16:50:38
Link | Citer | R

Dex trial dagger main and str trial dagger of hand will give you the most damage by far over any non relic/ emp combo especially in abyssea altho dex/ trip dagger is what I use because I stack red curry for attack and have full +2 so I like the added affect, but dex trial dagger is very good ws more accurat and you gain damage over time from not missing and tping faster.
 Cerberus.Jiriya
Serveur: Cerberus
user: jiriya
By Cerberus.Jiriya 2011-02-09 16:51:07
Link | Citer | R

not sure of anyones merits or preferences but my sets are:

melee:
main - fusetto +2 (ws dmg +10%
sub - auric dagger or triplus dagger

TH:
main - auric dagger
sub - thiefs knife

i have Kila +2 agi/evasion for sticky situations. rapidus sax is good for the delay but as far as anything else is concerned you can easily replace it. i'd use twilight knife but shinryu is a stingy ***.

Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 16:58:46
Link | Citer | R

Waron said:
Dex trial dagger main and str trial dagger of hand will give you the most damage by far over any non relic/ emp combo especially in abyssea altho dex/ trip dagger is what I use because I stack red curry for attack and have full +2 so I like the added affect, but dex trial dagger is very good ws more accurat and you gain damage over time from not missing and tping faster.

You accuracy should be capped with or without the dex kila, so the only thing dex is doing is adding a small amount to your WS damage. Str kila/Triplus would be the best setup for you.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-02-09 17:11:48
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

The WS+10% dagger has a base damage of 40. During WS that damage is augmented to 44 (40+ 40x.1)). Str kila would easily beat that with fulltime 43 DMG and str/attk+. Dex kila probably beats it as well due to dex mod on WSs.

edit: for those who didn't know, the +10% is not applied as a bonus to the overall WS damage, it is applied to the base weapon damage before WS calculations.

i ment the eph/+2 trial ws dagger cant think name off top head. Bt now heres a question whats better for ws the actualy modifiers or saystr and att like instead of dex and or crit hit dmg bonus stuff?
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-09 17:17:58
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Really? I was almost certain Cyclone was not effected by Dagger base Damage, And im over 99% positive those Weapons effect Cyclone/Aeolian Edge/etc Damage output.

Unless it was some-how changed recently.
or the idiot who posted that it effected Cyclone tested it wrong =.=a.

Edit: This makes it even more confusing
[url]http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Trial_1135[url]

Cyclone Damage+10%

I think you're wrong on the "just adds 10% of the weapon base damage" stand here. Did you test this yourself or did you read it form somewhere?

Maybe it effects Physical and magical Ws's differently?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 17:25:36
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Really? I was almost certain Cyclone was not effected by Dagger base Damage, And im over 99% positive those Weapons effect Cyclone/Aeolian Edge/etc Damage output.

Cyclone Damage+10%

I think you're wrong on the "just adds 10% of the weapon base damage" stand here.

I remember hearing about a test that was done right after these weapons came out that showed they were definitely not increasing total WS damage by 10%. and the way it is worded on the dagger also implies that base damage is being enhanced. the phrase "Weaponskill: DMG+10%" implies that "During a weaponskill: the stat DMG is enhanced by 10%" DMG of course referring to the stat on the weapon. If it said "Weaponskill damage +10%" I would think otherwise.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-09 17:28:31
Link | Citer | R

Little off topic but since you mentioned it earlier Kirana, what exactly is the subtle blow cap?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 17:31:43
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Little off topic but since you mentioned it earlier Kirana, what exactly is the subtle blow cap?

+50 from all sources
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-09 17:32:08
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Cyclone Damage+10%

I think you're wrong on the "just adds 10% of the weapon base damage" stand here.

I remember hearing about a test that was done right after these weapons came out that showed they were definitely not increasing total WS damage by 10%. and the way it is worded on the dagger also implies that base damage is being enhanced. the phrase "Weaponskill: DMG+10%" implies that "During a weaponskill: the stat DMG is enhanced by 10%" DMG of course referring to the stat on the weapon. If it said "Weaponskill damage +10%" I would think otherwise.

Its confusing, I agree, But I'm fairly Certain a D:1 Dagger, and a D:48 Dagger would do the exact same Damage with Energy Drain and Cyclone, no?

So it begs the question why one of the paths would give you "Cyclone: DMG+10%", essentially a worthless augment as DMG wouldn't effect Cyclone Damage.

So i think the person who first tested it either did it wrong, Eyeballed it, Or just simply got the math wrong.

Or it effect Magical and Physical Weaponskills Differently, and he did his math right.

Or SE Created a Weapon stage that has a completely worthless augment =.=a

SE has done some dumb things, But i really don't think they'd go as far to make this big of an oversight as to make a weapon (The Cyclone: DMG+10% dagger of the Fusetto Trial) have a completely worthless Augment, Even if its just a "progressive" weapon (meaning an unfinished product)
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-09 17:35:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Cerberus.Tikal said:

+50 from all sources

aye, and the AGI bonus has the ability to go beyond that SB Cap, Its not Counted as SB IIRC but with high enough AGI you can get your TP-hit on the mob down to less than 1%.

Unless i missed a ninja patch on that (Cause the tests i saw on this were done mere hours after the AGI/SB patch)
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 17:36:02
Link | Citer | R

I'm going to go with SE made a weapon with a worthless augment on it. There is no shortage of weapons from magians that have essentially no use. My guess is that SE was just following a pattern when they came out of those trials, and cyclone happened to be the WS for dagger that fell into that pattern.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-09 17:37:16
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kirana said:
I'm going to go with SE made a weapon with a worthless augment on it. There is no shortage of weapons from magians that have essentially no use. My guess is that SE was just following a pattern when they came out of those trials, and cyclone happened to be the WS for dagger that fell into that pattern.

Then I will take it upon myself to test this assumption, I'll get back to you in a few days.

If you want something done right, Do it yourself... After all, yes?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 17:43:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

Then I will take it upon myself to test this assumption, I'll get back to you in a few days.

If you want something done right, Do it yourself... After all, yes?
Go for it, I'd like to know. Try to test it with both the physical and elemental stages.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-02-09 18:12:29
Link | Citer | R

i'm too lazy to do magian trial daggers but i got a
Yataghan with dmg +7 crit + 6% and twilight knife. is that okay?
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Serveur: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-02-09 18:44:41
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:

If you're happy with that, then thats all that counts. I'm happy with my str kila+2 and para +2...and once in a while I'll run with twin str kila+2 cuz im goofy that way. :D
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-09 18:45:50
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:

That's nearly the best you can get without doing magians. +8 dmg would be the only improvement.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-09 19:03:24
Link | Citer | R

Too all the magical ws questions... all pure magical ws (ie not hybrid) completely ignore weapon base dmg and instead use lvl+2 in it's place. Except of course the fixed dmg ones ie atonement and spirits within

As far as the ws dmg +10% I haven't personally tested it but I think it would make more sense to do overall dmg to keep them somewhat even between the weapons and weaponskills. I mean most one handers have most of the base dmg during weaponskill coming from stat mods so +10% on weapon base dmg would do nothing. While a 2hr might get a similar amount added from stats but a smaller percentage since their weapon base dmg is so much higher...

Not to mention as discussed it just gets weird with magical ws. I seriuously doubt SE would make a completely line for each weapon did such vastly different things