Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21666 21667 21668 ... 22553 22554 22555
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-05-24 09:06:51
Link | Citer | R

Defensive Draylo?

I would call it offensive. And it has gotten worse.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-05-24 09:32:52
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Why are people online so defensive these days?

I literally can't go anywhere and post my opinion (not even in a suggestive way, just point blank my opinion and not offending) without people constantly responding defensively or with personal attacks.

I've been on YouTube and just an example I comment on RE3 remake, saying my opinion and how the original was just as short (Even shorter actually.) Then I get some guy running in with personal attacks and getting bent out of shape. Either as I aged and grew up and didn't realize the internet was always like this or people are just more aggressive these days. I just can't seem to find anywhere where you can debate opinions without resorting to personal attacks and intent to demean the other persons intelligence.

Saying "people" is generalization. More like if you have millions people checking same place, statistically you gonna get good, regular, bad, very bad, terribly bad and maniac person according to any population proportion.

I would be just worried if you start getting dozens of calls, then you actually said something bad.

If you check on youtube even on masterpieces there are some few thousand of dislikes. This is normal. We just need to start to look in terms of porcentage than absolute number. One, two three guys are offending me? thats acceptable. 100, 150 people are gathering to attack? then something is wrong.
By Draylo 2020-05-24 09:52:10
Link | Citer | R

I just feel like people in general online are angrier these days. A lot of personal attacks and indifference in understanding the other person. Majority of people I come across online are "toxic". I remember being a kid and loving the idea I could meet people who liked the same games I did (everyone I knew hated RPGs and Final fantasy) and now these days I just wanna be far away from most of them lol.

I guess I've been so into online stuff most my life that I just got tired of dealing with people online. I find myself not even wanting to engage in most conversations because people are so defensive if you oppose their opinion in any way. In the end you think, why the hell am I wasting my time with these people when there is literally no benefit. Gone is the feeling you're just discussing something with like minded people, instead it turns into defending your position against people who hate you for it lol. There is also cancel culture and hiveminds to go off of that initial thought.

Was just curious if anyone felt that or maybe as I got older I just perceived things a little differently. I kinda think about the generation that came after mine and see how toxic most of them are online and into instant gratification and constantly after fame becoming online famous/viral. That is a different discussion tho lol. I grew up with the beginnings of the internet becoming mainstream and so it is a random thought I've noticed.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-05-24 10:16:00
Link | Citer | R

odd trivia: it is illegal in the state of VA to mount a flamethrower to a motor vehicle.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-05-24 10:50:17
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
that... sounds like it should be illegal everywhere
hush, statist!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-05-24 10:56:27
Link | Citer | R

That it is. 2nd part is hilariously specific.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-05-24 10:59:01
Link | Citer | R

I just feel like people in general online are angrier these days. A lot of personal attacks and indifference in understanding the other person. Majority of people I come across online are "toxic". I remember being a kid and loving the idea I could meet people who liked the same games I did (everyone I knew hated RPGs and Final fantasy) and now these days I just wanna be far away from most of them lol.

I guess I've been so into online stuff most my life that I just got tired of dealing with people online. I find myself not even wanting to engage in most conversations because people are so defensive if you oppose their opinion in any way. In the end you think, why the hell am I wasting my time with these people when there is literally no benefit. Gone is the feeling you're just discussing something with like minded people, instead it turns into defending your position against people who hate you for it lol. There is also cancel culture and hiveminds to go off of that initial thought.

Was just curious if anyone felt that or maybe as I got older I just perceived things a little differently. I kinda think about the generation that came after mine and see how toxic most of them are online and into instant gratification and constantly after fame becoming online famous/viral. That is a different discussion tho lol. I grew up with the beginnings of the internet becoming mainstream and so it is a random thought I've noticed.

Im thankfull to those retards because i feel like i got sturdier while dealing with all their bullshits.

Kknowing how to deal with this kind of situation will always give you the upperhand in real life.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-05-24 11:02:29
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
I'M GONNA BREAK THE LAW
how, dangerous
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-05-24 11:17:52
Link | Citer | R

Probably spread more germs than tonsil hockey.
[+]
By volkom 2020-05-24 12:02:53
Link | Citer | R

Random thought. Is there a D&D format that's based on XI?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Serveur: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2020-05-24 17:06:58
Link | Citer | R

It's not a perception of getting older. It really is getting worse. Internet people have always been angry, but the closed minded tribalism you're describing is definitely becoming more and more prevalent as divisive and antisocial rhetoric is used to spread chaos and hysteria.

It feels as though people are taking those kinds of thoughts and feelings and applying them across the board- be it about politics (which is typically where it is expected) or a discussion about pie, you can be almost certain there is going to be someone commenting about how it was ruined by millennials.
[+]
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2020-05-24 17:11:11
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
a discussion about pie
did someone say pie? I like pie!
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-05-24 17:19:47
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Serveur: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2020-05-24 17:27:28
Link | Citer | R

I literally can't go anywhere and post my opinion (not even in a suggestive way, just point blank my opinion and not offending) without people constantly responding defensively or with personal attacks.

I've been on YouTube and just an example I comment on RE3 remake, saying my opinion and how the original was just as short (Even shorter actually.) Then I get some guy running in with personal attacks and getting bent out of shape. Either as I aged and grew up and didn't realize the internet was always like this or people are just more aggressive these days. I just can't seem to find anywhere where you can debate opinions without resorting to personal attacks and intent to demean the other persons intelligence.

YouTube is the absolute worst. I don't know what it is, exactly- but it's like a magnet for stupid people. The gaming community in particular is filled with really wretched and unhappy people. That is just getting progressively worse as the world turns to ***. People are broke and not getting laid and it reflects deeply on how they behave online.
[+]
 Asura.Gnawclaw
Serveur: Asura
user: Gnawclaw
By Asura.Gnawclaw 2020-05-24 19:05:05
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »

YouTube is the absolute worst. I don't know what it is, exactly- but it's like a magnet for stupid people. The gaming community in particular is filled with really wretched and unhappy people. That is just getting progressively worse as the world turns to ***. People are broke and not getting laid and it reflects deeply on how they behave online.

What you guys mentioned above along with this, I can def relate to these feelings in some way. This site alone is a microcosm for how much more I used to engage people, but as I've grown older I just kinda tighten the circle around a few friends rather than actively going out looking for conversation, much less actual debate.

At the very least I'm reluctant to be as engaging, especially online. It's probably says more about me than anyone else, but I find it very hard to think people want an actual conversation and debate. Instead they want to yell their opinion in the void about why they're categorically correct. It's a very one-way feeling street where a lot less consideration happens and alot more reaffirming ones own beliefs.

Although, I don't think though the tribalism is getting worse per se, it's just more pronounced now because of the internet. How lightning fast information travels. Everyone has a personal platform. Maybe everyone always did, but now you can find it with social media.

Youtube may seem like the worst offender but I tend to think every generation has their pit. Yahoo comments are youtube comments for the BoOmErS, for instance if we're just talking online.
It's not ALL bad though. It's just very hard to notice (or care about?) 300 youtube comments on a video saying "nice video thanks" rather than one salty comment with 189 replies.

Negativity kind of floats to the surface and it's not hard to get swept up into it.

Edit:
Or I can just not backread far enough.

Asura.Carrotchan said: »
I think it's gotten progressively worse as internet has become more main stream, I don't really think people know how to have a discussion anymore, I mean look at P&R (pls don't look at P&R)

yeahprollythis
[+]
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2020-05-24 19:07:31
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
Random thought. Is there a D&D format that's based on XI?
Not quite D&D (Pathfinder, so close enough), but FFd20 has stats for the XI races and most of the jobs.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2020-05-24 19:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Just spent $2300 on a new mattress and it makes me feel sick :nauseated_face:
By Draylo 2020-05-24 19:33:05
Link | Citer | R

lol I used to love using Yahoo and reading the comments
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-05-25 00:22:48
Link | Citer | R

I think with the way that stating a unique opinion can get flocked to and make people money these days, it's kind of like everyone's been honing their skills towards that. Or at least thinking that they do. I mean, we have like hundreds of Youtube channels where people just profess a personal opinion on a piece of media, set it up debate discussion style, and it gets millions of views, thousands of likes, hundreds of comments. Think this is the age where just about everybody is clamoring for some sort of attention online, and this creates some sort of feedback loop into responses being more gladiatorial in nature.

And echoing what Barti said, yeah, we can find or see it now more than ever before. Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Tumblr, Reddit, and any forum site. People setup shop and start transmitting their every thought. They make everything debate like to garner a following, because in this day and age, it's consensus = correct, not correct = correct.

Plus politics has really hit the mainstream, with politicians reaching towards our personal lives with social media. This ripples into everything. Causing a person's politics to be associated with their pastimes. Talk about stirring the pot, huh?
[+]
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2020-05-25 06:01:27
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vyre said: »
everybody is clamoring for some sort of attention online[/quot[quote="Asura.Vyre" pid=3514395]I think with the way that stating a unique opinion can get flocked to and make people money these days, it's kind of like everyone's been honing their skills towards that. Or at least thinking that they do. I mean, we have like hundreds of Youtube channels where people just profess a personal opinion on a piece of media, set it up debate discussion style, and it gets millions of views, thousands of likes, hundreds of comments. Think this is the age where just about everybody is clamoring for some sort of attention online, and this creates some sort of feedback loop into responses being more gladiatorial in nature.

And echoing what Barti said, yeah, we can find or see it now more than ever before. Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Tumblr, Reddit, and any forum site. People setup shop and start transmitting their every thought. They make everything debate like to garner a following, because in this day and age, it's consensus = correct, not correct = correct.

Plus politics has really hit the mainstream, with politicians reaching towards our personal lives with social media. This ripples into everything. Causing a person's politics to be associated with their pastimes. Talk about stirring the pot, huh?
Asura.Vyre said: »
I think with the way that stating a unique opinion can get flocked to and make people money these days, it's kind of like everyone's been honing their skills towards that. Or at least thinking that they do. I mean, we have like hundreds of Youtube channels where people just profess a personal opinion on a piece of media, set it up debate discussion style, and it gets millions of views, thousands of likes, hundreds of comments. Think this is the age where just about everybody is clamoring for some sort of attention online, and this creates some sort of feedback loop into responses being more gladiatorial in nature.

I just want pie!! I love pie!!!
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-05-25 09:14:24
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
I just want pie!! I love pie!!!

[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-05-25 09:31:52
Link | Citer | R