Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 17382 17383 17384 ... 22713 22714 22715
 Asura.Ackeronll
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-05-19 21:02:42
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Asura.Ackeronll said: »
a movie promoting pedophilia

Which one is that
Romeo and Juliet.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:03:37
Link | Citer | R

Oh, not pedophilia when they're the same age
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:03:57
Link | Citer | R

I had to have a permission slip to watch a movie or two in my sex ed class, hell, I even had to get permission to TAKE the class itself, even though it was mandatory to graduate! Seriously?

I had to get a permission slip signed to watch a genocide movie in my Geography class my senior year, my senior year... And I think I had to get a few extra permission slips signed throughout high school on a few things.
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-19 21:04:18
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
As for swearing, no one knows where the word "***" even comes from, although there is speculation of its origins. And even then, the origin is so dated and underwhelming, it makes you wonder why that word is so sinister to begin with.
"Fornication Under Consent of the King" was ruled out years ago, if that's what you were thinking.
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-05-19 21:05:10
Link | Citer | R

Well, it boils down to the puritanical way we raise children over here. We spend the first 6 months or so breastfeeding children, then immediately shun them away from it, as if they suddenly become perverse. As if their function hasn't remained the same since using them the first time.

As for swearing, no one knows where the word "***" even comes from, although there is speculation of its origins. And even then, the origin is so dated and underwhelming, it makes you wonder why that word is so sinister to begin with.

To me, there should be swear words, but I think "***" shouldn't be one of them. Neither should "***". I think the ones that should really be swear words are the ones whose sole job is to demean or demoralize another person by representing years of hate and derision. The "N" word is one. The "F" word is another (y'know, the one that means "cigarette" in England). Those words are horrid and should be stricken from the language. But "***"? Who the hell is that hurting?
But Mag! It can be used as so many parts of speech... it's... it's an abomination!

Though our language does love to lower words with Germanic origins (assuming it at least came in some part from Germanic). Now if there was a Latin equivalent of "***," that'd have class!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:06:11
Link | Citer | R

Juliet = 14
Romeo = 19
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:07:09
Link | Citer | R

From googling a bit it seems like Juliet was 13 ('not quite fourteen') and Romeo's age wasn't mentioned? But I also saw that he didn't have a beard so he doesn't seem much older than her then
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:08:07
Link | Citer | R

Terraka said: »
I had to have a permission slip to watch a movie or two in my sex ed class, hell, I even had to get permission to TAKE the class itself, even though it was mandatory to graduate! Seriously?

I had to get a permission slip signed to watch a genocide movie in my Geography class my senior year, my senior year... And I think I had to get a few extra permission slips signed throughout high school on a few things.

Your schools are weird
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-05-19 21:08:09
Link | Citer | R

Accept they aren't Romeo is shown at a young man around 18 years old while Juliet is only 13.

Sure is was acceptable back when Shakespeare wrote it but when you start remaking it into horrible movies and forcing young people to watch Decaprio prancing around with guns. That ***is wrong.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-19 21:09:06
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
"Fornication Under Consent of the King" was ruled out years ago, if that's what you were thinking.

I had a good chuckle when I discovered that theory is actually a joke.
[+]
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:09:36
Link | Citer | R

Juliet = 14
Romeo = 19

If that's not pedophilia, then I don't know what is.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-19 21:09:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Accept they aren't Romeo is shown at a young man around 18 years old while Juliet is only 13.

Sure is was acceptable back when Shakespeare wrote it but when you start remaking it into horrible movies and forcing young people to watch Decaprio prancing around with guns. That ***is wrong.
They shouldn't be made into movies, using Shakespeare's works for a profit.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Not like marrying and having children at that age was normal back then anyway. Pretty sure most people got married around 18-25, even nobility and royalty married around that age.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:10:12
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
Well, it boils down to the puritanical way we raise children over here. We spend the first 6 months or so breastfeeding children, then immediately shun them away from it, as if they suddenly become perverse. As if their function hasn't remained the same since using them the first time.

To me, there should be swear words, but I think "***" shouldn't be one of them. Neither should "***". I think the ones that should really be swear words are the ones whose sole job is to demean or demoralize another person by representing years of hate and derision. The "N" word is one. The "F" word is another (y'know, the one that means "cigarette" in England). Those words are horrid and should be stricken from the language. But "***"? Who the hell is that hurting?
But Mag! It can be used as so many parts of speech... it's... it's an abomination!

Though our language does love to lower words with Germanic origins (assuming it at least came in some part from Germanic). Now if there was a Latin equivalent of "***," that'd have class!
That's why I loves the word so much and use it all the bloody time... except in my classroom. Hey, I'd rather keep my job and continue getting paid a living wage than to go on a quest to stop the witch hunt on a perfectly fine, normal, inoffensive word.
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-05-19 21:10:27
Link | Citer | R

Juliet = 14
Romeo = 19

If that's not pedophilia, then I don't know what is.

A book ? XD
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:12:08
Link | Citer | R

Not like marrying and having children at that age was normal back then anyway. Pretty sure most people got married around 18-25, even nobility and royalty married around that age.
Just like no one wants to talk about the fact that Elizabethan men had sex with women for procreation and young men for getting their jollies.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:12:27
Link | Citer | R

Actually, women back then were married off around 12, 13 or 14 years old to men twice their ages and started having kids as soon as they were married. If a women was still unmarried by 18 to 20 years old, they were considered an "Old Maid" or a "Spinster."
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:12:41
Link | Citer | R

Didn't the Romans and Greeks do that too? lol
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-05-19 21:13:26
Link | Citer | R

There are still some places in the US where you can get married that early.

We call it Alabama.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:14:13
Link | Citer | R

Didn't the Romans and Greeks do that too? lol
I suppose you've gotta do something while waiting for TV to get invented.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-05-19 21:14:26
Link | Citer | R

Actually, women back then were married off around 12, 13 or 14 years old to men twice their ages and started having kids as soon as they were married. If a women was still unmarried by 18 to 20 years old, they were considered an "Old Maid" or a "Spinster."
That was usually arranged by their parents, sometimes to further their agendas.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:14:57
Link | Citer | R

You can get married at any age in the US as long as you have parental permission lol. I'm sure that's not the only "taboo" thing legal in Alabama lol
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:15:05
Link | Citer | R

Hey, that's seen in Romeo & Juliet, too! Enter: Paris.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:15:57
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
In Yorkshire in the 14th and 15th centuries, the age range for most brides was between 18 and 22 years and the age of the grooms was similar; rural Yorkshire women tended to marry in their late teens to early twenties while their urban counterparts married in their early to middle twenties. In the 15th century, the average Italian bride was 18 and married a groom 10–12 years her senior. An unmarried Tuscan woman 21 years of age would be seen as past marriageable age, the benchmark for which was 19 years, and easily 97 percent of Florentine women were married by the age of 25 years while 21 years was the typical age of a contemporary English bride.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:16:34
Link | Citer | R

But still, nonetheless, they were married off that young for many different reasons, nobility or peasantry. Either to combine houses, create alliances, for fortune and even for land and livestock.
[+]
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-19 21:17:33
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
In Yorkshire in the 14th and 15th centuries, the age range for most brides was between 18 and 22 years and the age of the grooms was similar; rural Yorkshire women tended to marry in their late teens to early twenties while their urban counterparts married in their early to middle twenties. In the 15th century, the average Italian bride was 18 and married a groom 10–12 years her senior. An unmarried Tuscan woman 21 years of age would be seen as past marriageable age, the benchmark for which was 19 years, and easily 97 percent of Florentine women were married by the age of 25 years while 21 years was the typical age of a contemporary English bride.

Then I need to brush up on my history. xD lol
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-19 21:19:06
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Indeed, Medieval England saw marriage age as variable depending on economic circumstances, with couples delaying marriage until the early twenties when times were bad and the average age falling to the late teens after the Black Death, when there were labor shortages; by appearances, marriage of adolescents was not the norm in England. The sudden loss of people from the plague resulted in a glut of lucrative jobs for many people and more people could afford to marry young, lowering the age at marriage to the late teens and thus increasing fertility.

From 1619 to 1660 in the archdiocese of Canterbury, England, the median age of the brides was 22 years and nine months while the median age for the grooms was 25 years and six months, with average ages of 24 years for the brides and nearly 28 years for the grooms, with the most common ages at marriage being 22 years for women and 24 years for men; interestingly, the Church dictated that the age when one could marry without the consent of one’s parents was 21 years. A large majority of English brides in this time were at least 19 years of age when they married, and only one bride in a thousand was thirteen years of age or younger.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-05-19 21:24:42
Link | Citer | R

Hey, that's seen in Romeo & Juliet, too! Enter: Paris.

?

Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-19 21:26:40
Link | Citer | R

Exactly. Paul Rudd.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-05-19 21:27:58