Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 15610 15611 15612 ... 22625 22626 22627
VIP
By Kalila 2014-10-14 21:32:10
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Share the purple, jerk!
Nope! :D
Don't worry mag, I'll share my purple :)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 21:32:47
Link | Citer | R

oh snap i want some too
 Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-14 21:33:34
Link | Citer | R

Kalila said: »
Share the purple, jerk!
;.; beaten by the superior.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-14 21:33:44
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Weakness said: »
Yay! After installing windows, then formating and reinstalling the proper version of windows, most of my drivers, and some essential programs... I've finally got new PC working.

Unfortunately I'm running obnoxiously hot (~37C) while only at 4.2GHz.
Yay!

psh, my cpu is running at like 60c, don't even care.

I guess I could probably stand to give it a dusting, and possibly up the fan speed a bit, interestingly enough though, my gpu is only at 45c.

I'm also running 3 vms, but still I shouldn't be that high at 20%~ load.
By Fyyvoaa 2014-10-14 21:37:32
Link | Citer | R

I get bugged when my temps get too high :/, sitting at 45c now, 35c on my GPU.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-14 21:39:08
Link | Citer | R

Share the purple, jerk!
Well, I guess I know who my real friends are... Thanks, Spatherson...
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-14 21:41:14
Link | Citer | R

Share the purple, jerk!
I am not a good friend. How many times do I have to tell people this?!
 Odin.Minefield
Serveur: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-14 21:41:42
Link | Citer | R

Kiba!
[+]
 Asura.Alymorel
Serveur: Asura
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2014-10-14 21:49:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm home and I'm pooped. >.>
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-14 21:57:57
Link | Citer | R

Share the purple, jerk!
You broke my heart, Spath. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
 Odin.Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-14 21:59:36
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-14 22:00:12
Link | Citer | R

Share the purple, jerk!
You broke my heart, Spath. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!
Never the chosen one, trust me on this DAMN IT!
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-14 22:02:08
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
Yay! After installing windows, then formating and reinstalling the proper version of windows, most of my drivers, and some essential programs... I've finally got new PC working.

Unfortunately I'm running obnoxiously hot (~37C) while only at 4.2GHz.
Yay!

psh, my cpu is running at like 60c, don't even care.

I guess I could probably stand to give it a dusting, and possibly up the fan speed a bit, interestingly enough though, my gpu is only at 45c.

I'm also running 3 vms, but still I shouldn't be that high at 20%~ load.

Huh? My laptop gets up to 79C. Idles around 60C
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 22:07:09
Link | Citer | R

laptop CPUs function differently/are harder to cool. Desktop CPUs (modern ones anyway, especially i5s) shouldn't idle over 35C. My 4770k is @ 4.5GHz and idles around 27-31C, and I have a pretty ***cooler. Think I'm running at 1.235v core
By Jetackuu 2014-10-14 22:15:40
Link | Citer | R

3570k and it's at 55c right now...

I guess I should reboot and change the settings in the bios, as I think my software is borked.

On another note: my laptop is sitting at 81c right now... basically idle.
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-10-14 22:23:32
Link | Citer | R

Booty.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-14 22:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Simcity 5 (The new one), pushes my temp to ~80c.

I was a little worried about it melting anything... is that temp normal or something to watch out for?
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-10-14 22:26:56
Link | Citer | R

I was going to buy The Sims 3 the other day just to torture people.

Come on, I know someone else enjoys screwing with the Sims too.
[+]
Serveur: Ultros
user: Allyha
By Allyha Kiade 2014-10-14 22:28:04
Link | Citer | R

MY i7 2600k used to nearly melt my pc, was hitting upwards of 76c just on basic things. first time building a pc, so had no idea how inadequate stock coolers were from intel. Now mine barely ever goes above 32c.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-14 22:28:04
Link | Citer | R

CPUs are made to handle temps up to 90-95C before turning themselves off and will thermal throttle at around 70 or so. You don't really have to worry about damaging the chip itself, but the solder that holds everything together starts to melt. Too much voltage is what will kill the actual chip. The circuitry will start to hit increased resistances once the temperature gets very very high, but the solder will be melted away and the chip won't function anymore by the time that happens.

When you pump more voltage into your CPU, you're basically telling the atoms that make up your CPU to move further apart. Heat is generated as the "resistance" between atoms increases, so when you combine a very high heat and the higher voltage (they go hand-in-hand), you start running into something called "thermal runaway". The currents start to increase at an extreme rate and will actually damage and destroy the microcircuits in the chip. Silicon can dissipate a high amount of power, but eventually the temperature spikes and the silicon itself (and sooner than that, the gate oxides due to hot electron degradation) is destroyed. Motherboards don't allow you to pump that much wattage into a CPU though.

One common misconception is that increasing power flow increases the speed of electrons and that's what generates the heat, but in this case that isn't accurate. The electrons will never move faster or slower, but their movement can become more energetic. In this case, most of the heat is generated by atomic resistance.

It sounds like the laptop has bad ventilation, try a cooling pad or something while you're gaming on it to help out.

Stock intel cooler actually isn't bad if you're running at stock settings. The factory thermal paste was probably bad and had to be reapplied though.

Science. Jet is an actual physicist so I'm sure he can point out where I'm wrong, but my knowledge on microcircuitry is pretty limited so I wouldn't be surprised.
user: Allyha
By Allyha Kiade 2014-10-14 22:29:14
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
I was going to buy The Sims 3 the other day just to torture people.

Come on, I know someone else enjoys screwing with the Sims too.

I used to trap people in pits in roller coaster tycoon for infinite money generators :3
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-10-14 22:47:16
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-10-14 22:47:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-10-14 23:37:35
Link | Citer | R

I have no idea what's going on in /yell tonight. :D I don't care! LOUD NOISES! XP
user: chuuuuu
By Chu Chu 2014-10-15 00:27:30
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By volkom 2014-10-15 00:39:39
Link | Citer | R

Tonight has been one of the best nights so far this year.
so happy and excited :)
By Bloodrose 2014-10-15 00:40:30
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
Tonight has been one of the best nights so far this year.
so happy and excited :)
Your avatar shows it
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-15 00:49:34
Link | Citer | R

I'm glad to have pleasured you master.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-15 01:14:33
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Minefield said: »

Holy ***thanks for that post. I stopped playing Magic when 5th edition was released brings back memories!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 03:34:47
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
CPUs are made to handle temps up to 90-95C before turning themselves off and will thermal throttle at around 70 or so. You don't really have to worry about damaging the chip itself, but the solder that holds everything together starts to melt. Too much voltage is what will kill the actual chip. The circuitry will start to hit increased resistances once the temperature gets very very high, but the solder will be melted away and the chip won't function anymore by the time that happens.

When you pump more voltage into your CPU, you're basically telling the atoms that make up your CPU to move further apart. Heat is generated as the "resistance" between atoms increases, so when you combine a very high heat and the higher voltage (they go hand-in-hand), you start running into something called "thermal runaway". The currents start to increase at an extreme rate and will actually damage and destroy the microcircuits in the chip. Silicon can dissipate a high amount of power, but eventually the temperature spikes and the silicon itself (and sooner than that, the gate oxides due to hot electron degradation) is destroyed. Motherboards don't allow you to pump that much wattage into a CPU though.

One common misconception is that increasing power flow increases the speed of electrons and that's what generates the heat, but in this case that isn't accurate. The electrons will never move faster or slower, but their movement can become more energetic. In this case, most of the heat is generated by atomic resistance.

It sounds like the laptop has bad ventilation, try a cooling pad or something while you're gaming on it to help out.

Stock intel cooler actually isn't bad if you're running at stock settings. The factory thermal paste was probably bad and had to be reapplied though.

Science. Jet is an actual physicist so I'm sure he can point out where I'm wrong, but my knowledge on microcircuitry is pretty limited so I wouldn't be surprised.

only two real bits, for starters: in general electricity the higher the voltage the less resistance, I=(V/R) more current at the same voltage will increase resistance, more voltage at the same current will decrease resistance. edit: I=current

Now high voltages can cause arching, and that could cause some extra heat. The melting point of silicon is 1,414c, if your board reaches that, you have an issue.

Now the melting point of lead based solder is 188c (or 183 depending on mix of alloys), and you'll cause it to become brittle, (ylod/RROD say high) on bga rigs, on socketed cpu's you'll have to try, but overvolting will kill it faster, electronics have a voltage limit, usually in the white papers.

As for solder:

Quote:
Tin-based solders readily dissolve gold, forming brittle intermetallics; for Sn-Pb alloys the critical concentration of gold to embrittle the joint is about 4%. Indium-rich solders (usually indium-lead) are more suitable for soldering thicker gold layer as the dissolution rate of gold in indium is much slower. Tin-rich solders also readily dissolve silver; for soldering silver metallization or surfaces, alloys with addition of silvers are suitable; tin-free alloys are also a choice, though their wettability is poorer. If the soldering time is long enough to form the intermetallics, the tin surface of a joint soldered to gold is very dull.[8]

Lead-free solder has a higher Young's modulus than lead-based solder, making it more susceptible when deforming applied. When the PCB on which the electronic components are mounted is subject to bending stress due to warping, the solder joint deteriorates and fractures can appear. This effect is called solder cracking.[12] Another fault is Kirkendall voids which are microscopic cavities in solder. When two different types of metal that are in contact are heated, dispersion occurs (see also Kirkendall effect). Repeated thermal cycling cause the formation of voids which tends to cause solder cracks. Lead-free solder can cause short life cycles of products, as well as planned obsolescence.[12]

Oh and I'm pursuing electrical engineering, not a physicist, although since it uses the principles of physics in a concentration, one could split the hairs. but I do realize that I need to brush up a bit on my reading, as I've never attempted to apply the laws of thermodynamics tpo it, just pay attention to specs/ohms law and have at it (heat sinks when needed), but that was a good read.

I will say though, while the melting point of leaded solder is 370f~ usually requirs about 650+ to get it to flow, and more for unleaded solder. But it's the warping in that quote is the issue on things like bga, and why I hope they never stop using lga in most desktop applications, if they do then I'm going to invest in the training and eventually a rework station, as damn.
First Page 2 3 ... 15610 15611 15612 ... 22625 22626 22627