Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Buying computer for FFXIing
Buying computer for FFXIing
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-03-03 16:24:18
Link | Citer | R

OK here is my problem, I understand just enough to get myself into trouble buying a computer. It looks to me like the cheap computers on Dell Factory Outlet would work for playing the game, or do I need to go for something a bit more expensive? I really want to spend as little as I can but I can spend more then that cheap thing I was looking at. I play on X-box but want to play on a computer also. And does anyone know the best cheapest LCD monitors?
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-03-03 16:34:40
Link | Citer | R

Almost any PC made nowadays, Core 2 Duo/Quad, Core i7, AMD Duo/Tri/Quads, are more than enough to run FFXI at max settings and still maintain the max 29FPS video (frames per second). Never use on-board video if you can avoid it also. Even though FFXI can still be maxed out with a good on-board video chipset, you'll kick yourself later when you want to try a game that actually has graphics and uses a GPU more. Aim for at least 2GB of RAM as well.

Almost all LCD monitors are under $200 now too for 19". Go for a low response rate and good contrast ratio if possible. Samsung and NEC are usually decent deals.

While I would also say avoid pre-built PC's, such as Dell, Alienware (which is still a Dell ...), etc. They aren't that bad, just they like to cut corners on whats included to say "We sell at Quad Core 3.0GHz with 4GB DDR3 for under $800!" (but everything on the PC that they don't tell you about, is cheap-O low end junk).
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-03 16:42:29
Link | Citer | R

I'm no tech-savvy person, but afaik, if you're able to get a friend to help you build a computer, it's much cheaper and better quality in general.

Also, don't get Dell.
Bekisa said:
they like to cut corners on whats included to say "We sell at Quad Core 3.0GHz with 4GB DDR3 for under $800!" (but everything on the PC that they don't tell you about, is cheap-O low end junk).

I can vouch for that, a lot of my friends with Dells have to take them in every couple months. Low qual gear, {No thanks.}
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-03 16:47:34
Link | Citer | R

FFXI is old, it doesn't really require much in terms of hardware...certainly anything you buy that's currently available will run FFXI. I would recommend at least making sure the computer(s) you're looking at have an actual video card, and not on-board video. On-board video generally sucks compared to even the cheapest third party dedicated cards. Other than that, just get what the best you can that is within your budget...with computers, it's usually more of a "I want to spend this much on a computer" and finding the best you can within that price (as opposed to, "I want these specs for as cheap as possible"). At least, that's how I always look at it...cheap components usually end up costing you more down the road when you have to upgrade or they explode. Better to find a happy medium.

Anyways, to give you a comparison, I started playing FFXI on a 1.5GHz Amd Athalon XP with 512 MB of Memory and a 128 MB AGP "hunk of crap" Video Card, and FFXI ran fine. FFXI shouldn't be a large factor in buying a new PC, but try and get something that's somewhat current technology wise, or it's just more money you'll be spending down the road when you need to upgrade other applications/OSs. Just my opinion ^^

As for monitors, I highly believe you get what you pay for. Go for a smaller monitor of a well known brand (Samsung, Viewsonic, etc) over a larger one of a brand you've never heard of. Check your local ads, monitors are one of those things that are always on sale somewhere ^^

Anye said:
I'm no tech-savvy person, but afaik, if you're able to get a friend to help you build a computer, it's much cheaper and better quality in general.

QFT. If you don't know someone that is good with building computers, FIND SOMEONE...building your own PC is really the way to go. Pre-built computers generally have substandard components (at least, the ones that don't cost $2500) and have TONS of extraneous crap you'll never use, both hardware and software wise.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-03 16:51:07
Link | Citer | R

I bought a dell in 04, i made a custom PC. Ive had very little problems but they always took care of me. Id say rule of thumb any premade PC is cheap in some form.
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-03-03 16:52:30
Link | Citer | R

Go with an Alien. Handsdown..the best gaming computer. If ur using it for anything else...not so good...but by far the best gaming computer
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-03 16:54:35
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
Go with an Alien. Handsdown..the best gaming computer. If ur using it for anything else...not so good...but by far the best gaming computer

Meh, I find them to be kinda overpriced...but to each their own. ^^
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-03-03 16:55:00
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:

Any computer that's "good for gaming" must be good for anything else. Games are applications, too.
That said, you'd be surprised at what it takes to run FFXI at max settings...
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-03 17:20:54
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Dubont said:

Meh, I find them to be kinda overpriced...but to each their own. ^^

=3 Which is why it's wiser to go with a custom PC, because you know for SURE the stuff you're putting in there is all worth it, whereas with a premade computer, no matter how good, will always cost more because of the labor.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2009-03-03 17:33:15
Link | Citer | R

I've played recently on a AMD 1000, with 256mb ram. I don't recommend it but it works. A basic computer with a proper video card i would recommend.
My wife plays on a AMD 3.0ghz, but night and day difference was adding a PCIe video card in. Choppiness dropped a lot. Was using onboard video before bleh.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-03-03 17:34:17
Link | Citer | R

Only problem with custom made rigs is not everyone knows what's good to put in and what isn't, need to have a bit of pc knowledge too. Although you're right, custom made pc is much cheaper, i've seen someon put together a pc twice as good as mine for 1/10th the cost, check out some popular pc mags to get tips ;)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-03 17:38:01
Link | Citer | R

FFXI is an old game, you really don't need an "amazing" PC to comfortably play it. Majority of lag is caused by unoptimised data.
 Midgardsormr.Vihke
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Vihke
By Midgardsormr.Vihke 2009-03-03 17:54:25
Link | Citer | R

The better your PC is, the worse this game runs. Buy an old pentium 3.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-03-03 18:04:45
Link | Citer | R

24" Samsung Widescreen LCD Monitor at SamsClub for $279.84

1920x1200 resolution, get a couple of these
 Odin.Moondaddy
Serveur: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-03-03 18:29:30
Link | Citer | R

if you are gonna be buying a new pc, be warned vista will make this game run like crap on a budget system. id say almost any 9000 series nvidia card will do the trick since ffxi is run mostly from the cpu. case in point, i picked out the laptop my brother got for his bday last year, dualcore amd cpu high end onboard video and ffxi looks terrible and is unplayable without tweeks to nvidia control panel. hell laptop wont even play diablo2 right >.< damn you vista
 Unicorn.Tavlov
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-03 18:34:46
Link | Citer | R

lol Scragg, u dual boxing work? ^^
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-03-03 20:47:00
Link | Citer | R

This : http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11330142&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

or an EEE PC for 300 bucks. Both will run FFXI, just depends on what you want to do with it.
 Asura.Celene
Serveur: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-03 21:05:43
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:

I received an Alienware Area-51 m9750 a few years back as a gift.

It runs beautifully. I can run FFXI, Photoshop, multiple web browsers, iTunes, not to mention I dual box well. So, I'm not sure how they run poorly with multiple things running, or just other programs at all. m9750 I think is one of the lower end gaming laptops, too.

I have not had any kind of problems with it aside from my spliced AC adapter which was caused by my poor handling skills.

As far as custom built vs factory built, it's entirely up to YOUR skills (or your friends, who ever builds it for you)

Not all factory built things are bad, just remember that. Customs are generally cheaper, yes, but if you have to know what you're doing it can all go down the crapper. I know many of my friends rigs that have failed but I also know a few that built godly set ups. It's situational, really.

FFXI is an old game, too. So doesn't take much to run it well.

Just my 2 cents/imo Happy deciding. :]
 Sylph.Lalo
Serveur: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-03-03 22:07:53
Link | Citer | R

If a ps2 can run it pretty much anything could.....
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-03 22:40:09
Link | Citer | R

alright, as a tech i'm gonna tell you that you can't just buy any computer. Sorry, everything runs on vista nowadays, so you have to get something decent. It's not an option for everyone to go out and build a computer or have someone build it (cuz not everyone knows a computer builder). And you definitely don't wan't to have a shop build it because they would charge you an arm and a leg for something that takes 2 hours to do...

The specs you want on a computer with vista is going to be 3 gigs of RAM or more; Dual Core processor (AMD or Intel; and not a celeron dual core...); not onboard graphics such as intel/amd graphics usually advertised on the tag. Anything else does not matter. Cheap LCD monitors: offbrand (you can get a 17" flat widescreen for like $130 from a retail store). LCD monitors is not going to matter in FF play. There is not going to be a difference in quality (FF wise) from one to the other, other than one may have the glossy look to it. your choice there, it doesn't make a difference other than the gloss gives of a glare if there's a light directly behind you.

For a cheap altogether getup, Dell works fine. They give you everything you need and a monitor. The only thing you need is a graphics card. Do not use the Nvidia 8000 series GeForce cards with FF. Some people have had issues with them (not all! but some, and you don't wanna be the 'some'). GeForce 9000 or 200 series are the latest. Any of them will work. ATI offers the 2000, 3000, and 4000 series; all of which will run FF fine. the series are nothing more than previous generations of cards (they are in order by creation btw). The higher the number in a certain series, the more powerful the card. the 9000 Geforce i think starts around 9300 and goes up to 9800. Low end cards tend to cost around $50 online, and high end cards will cost around $250 and up. simple as that (and again, i'm pretty sure any graphics card will run FF, it was made in 2001...) The luxury of Dell is they will put in the card you buy with your computer. so you don't have to buy a $1500 desktop just to get a decent graphics card with it like the other manufacturers tend to do... But if you know how to put one in, then the possibilities are endless...

Edit: don't buy alienware or any of those fancy manufacturers unless you really intend to use this computer for some serious games... unless you plan on playing Crysis and such, don't bother, buy a cheap computer and get a graphics card according to the games you want to play...
 Titan.Azarasi
Serveur: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-03-03 23:36:16
Link | Citer | R

FFXI is really low requirements, the only lag I saw on my old computer was in the WoG areas (horrible in some places) and in besieged

but even on my new computer, 3.0ghz duo core, 8800 gt nvidia, 2gb ram............I still have some minor lag in places. The games engine is old and doesn't let you go over a certain amount of FPS among other things.