Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-01-18 11:31:48
Link | Citer | R

http://dailyuw.com/2011/1/18/uw-students-adapt-gaming-hardware-robotic-surgery/

We're screwed.
By Halfpint 2011-01-18 13:57:20
Link | Citer | R

HHHHmmmmmmmmm,.....how do you see a technological advance like this as something negative?

"An array of cameras and sensors that give surgeons force(a sense of touch and pressure)feedback when using tools to perform robotic surgery".

Hell yeah, fewer mistakes, fewer chances of doing more damage than good means better results. Also being able to program the system so it cannot go where it shouldn't helps to make it a bit idiot proof.

Frankly...with all the preliminary work they are going to have to do to make sure the surgery goes right...I would rather have robotic surgery then depend on a Dr. who might get confused at the last minute and do surgery on the wrong place.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-01-18 14:01:22
Link | Citer | R

Halfpint said:
HHHHmmmmmmmmm,.....how do you see a technological advance like this as something negative?

"An array of cameras and sensors that give surgeons force(a sense of touch and pressure)feedback when using tools to perform robotic surgery".

Hell yeah, fewer mistakes, fewer chances of doing more damage than good means better results. Also being able to program the system so it cannot go where it shouldn't helps to make it a bit idiot proof.

Frankly...with all the preliminary work they are going to have to do to make sure the surgery goes right...I would rather have robotic surgery then depend on a Dr. who might get confused at the last minute and do surgery on the wrong place.
Do you know what Kinect is? It uses body movement.

What you should be afraid of is Microsoft's very first genuine game that ends once you see a familiar sight to many people: the Red Ring of Death. (dun dun duuunnn)

also, the lag.

Also if by some means some person is in the room, that could also mess it up (maybe even bugs too)
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-01-18 14:06:43
Link | Citer | R

I think before they try to adapt this for use in real life situations they should first think about using a console that WORKS

Would suck to be under the knife with a surgeon using this and the damn thing RRoD, kinda can't say "oh well, gotta get another one!"
By Halfpint 2011-01-18 15:40:06
Link | Citer | R

I am aware it uses body movement, are you aware of the amount of research and testing that this system will go through before it ever gets near a patient/person?? I'm not looking at how it would be used now...i am looking at the future.
Read the article....really read it..Right now there IS robotic surgery but the doctors have no "sense of touch", they are working in a 3-d environment with 2-D information, and no depth-perception.

......"Electrical engineering graduate student Fredrik Ryden solved this problem (Dr's having no sense of "touch") by writing code that allowed the Kinect to map and react to environments in three dimensions, and send spatial information about that environment back to the user. This places electronic restrictions on where the tool can be moved; if the actual instrument hits a bone, the joystick that controls it stops moving. If the instrument moves along a bone, the joystick follows the same path. It is even possible to define off-limits areas to protect vital organs.

Howard Chizeck, UW professor of electrical engineering, and his graduate students came up with the idea of using a “depth camera,” a sensor that detects movement in three dimensions by measuring reflecting infrared radiation to automatically define those regions."

**These people are not taking something straight out of a box and connecting it to their computers. They are taking the Kinect technology modifying and adjusting it, testing and re-testing the system to make sure it is effective and works in a 3-D environment(namely the human body).
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2011-01-18 15:45:40
Link | Citer | R

Imagine if the surgeon has a seizure during the operation. :D
[+]