Buy Portal 2, Get Portal 2 Free!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Buy Portal 2, get Portal 2 free!
Buy Portal 2, get Portal 2 free!
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 05:37:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If you play Portal 2 on PS3, you can play with people on a PC. Neat! And to make sure as many people as possible are doing just that, the PS3 version of the game will include the PC version.

All players have to do once they get the game is link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts. Once that's done, they'll have a Steam Play (so, PC and/or Mac) version of the game ready to download in their library list.

This cross-platform play even extends to giving PS3 users the ability to chat to PC gamers, and vice-versa. Oh, and PS3 users can even save their game in the Steam Cloud, meaning Valve has them tucked away in their servers in case something ever goes horribly wrong with your PS3.

That's a whole lot of "firsts" for both Steam, the PC multiplayer service of choice, and Sony's PlayStation Network. Not to mention a free copy of the game you can, for example, take with you on a laptop when you're not on your couch with the PS3.

And if all this works, and works well, let us welcome out glorious cross-platform future with open arms!

Now that's some incredible news. I hope that Valve pushes this to be something that happens a lot.

Now I can buy Portal 2 for my PS3, and have a free PC version AND be able to play with friends that use the PS3 whilst I play on the PC.

Good job Valve.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-18 05:53:19
Link | Citer | R

And still no word on Half Life2 Episode 3. Bad job Valve.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 05:55:33
Link | Citer | R

Ok... Ep3 is something I'd like to see but this is really pushing the industry in the right direction.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-18 06:33:45
Link | Citer | R

Any idea if this works both ways, or is it only included in the PS3 version?
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-01-18 06:37:59
Link | Citer | R

So, buy Portal 2, get PC version, sell PS3 version to friend, play with friend for only $25 each (Assuming it's $50 to buy PS3 version and assuming you sell for half, being the nice person you are cuz if you sell it for more, you're just a douche to your friend)

I bet you there's something hidden in this, like "but the price of Portal 2 for PS3 is $90 <trollface>"
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 06:40:23
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Any idea if this works both ways, or is it only included in the PS3 version?

Only the PS3 version I believe.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 06:40:40
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
So, buy Portal 2, get PC version, sell PS3 version to friend, play with friend for only $25 each (Assuming it's $50 to buy PS3 version and assuming you sell for half, being the nice person you are cuz if you sell it for more, you're just a douche to your friend)

I bet you there's something hidden in this, like "but the price of Portal 2 for PS3 is $90 <trollface>"

$60.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-18 06:40:46
Link | Citer | R

The way I read it is, it adds both versions to your Steam account. It doesn't actually give you two individual copies of the game, unless I'm misinterpreting. Only reason I'm wondering if you get PS3 access with PC is I've already pre-ordered with Steam. ;;
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-01-18 06:42:09
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

My guess is that, like FFXI on Xbox360, the PSN account that plays Portal 2 will be linked to a Steam account, and only that PSN/Steam account would be able to use it. To prevent other people profitting off their own game.

Chances are a lot of people will just pirate the PC version, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 06:44:33
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said:
The way I read it is, it adds both versions to your Steam account. It doesn't actually give you two individual copies of the game, unless I'm misinterpreting. Only reason I'm wondering if you get PS3 access with PC is I've already pre-ordered with Steam. ;;

Well it may work that way, but I doubt it somehow :(
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-01-18 06:45:08
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

My guess is that, like FFXI on Xbox360, the PSN account that plays Portal 2 will be linked to a Steam account, and only that PSN/Steam account would be able to use it. To prevent other people profitting off their own game.

Chances are a lot of people will just pirate the PC version, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Oh, right, cuz it has a CD key.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 06:45:11
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

The fact it's Co-op will probably put off a few people pirating. One of the reasons I'm not pirating.
By BorealisV2 2011-01-18 07:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Off to play Portal again, damn you for reminding me how awesome that game is.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-18 07:05:18
Link | Citer | R

Portal is pretty win
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
Serveur: Sylph
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2011-01-19 21:43:04
Link | Citer | R

I agree with this being a step in the right direction. I really hope that Valve sticks with this as a market strategy. Imagine if other companies started going this route. I'd love to be able to buy a game in PC/PS3/360 or what ever console and have it apply to the others. Unfortunately, i doubt that Microsoft would.

Link to article on ars technica.