Ghosts & Thoughts
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Starr
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 12:53:53
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, I thought ghosts were more like dead people that are floating around for no reason and with no aim, if you don't believe in afterlife (which arguably requires belief in a God, or makes you like a Sikh/Buddhist).
Spirits are personal and alive, when called.

Fair point, I guess, but how can one who believes that we all came from nothing and evolution explain such a thing? Religion can.
 Sylph.Siccmade
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-01-13 12:54:40
Link | Citer | R

I can't answer the OP only to say that they have yet to find a ghost on that show...
So I'm sure most religious folk pay it no mind.

I had a girlfriend who made me watch Ghost Hunter's and I said every time "omg find a ghost already!".
I "believe" in ghosts because I have no reason not to but those shows are so uneventful lol.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:01:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Hmm, I thought ghosts were more like dead people that are floating around for no reason and with no aim, if you don't believe in afterlife (which arguably requires belief in a God, or makes you like a Sikh/Buddhist).
Spirits are personal and alive, when called.

Fair point, I guess, but how can one who believes that we all came from nothing and evolution explain such a thing? Religion can.

Religions quite frankly don't deal with all belief sets, nor do all of them require a deity. I was merely pointing out a flaw.

I'm going to assume you are thinking that's what I believe, it isn't. As for the scientific aspects of it I have seen nothing in this world that can't be explained by using the scientific method, however there are things that people don't know the answer to, ie: ghosts and quite frankly to assume those things even exist is quite frankly ludicrous, however it's certainly a possibility, to jump to a blind faith based assumption on anything is just sad.
 Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-13 13:05:34
Link | Citer | R

I doubt that ghosts are "real." At least not in any easily explainable way, since they don't seem to fit within our observable, interactive, material reality.

If they do exist, then I don't think they're anything to be "f*cked with," so to speak. Or, perhaps I've just seen too many scary movies. =P

I've heard Christians explain ghosts as demonic phenomena (similar to demonic possession). I've also heard them dismiss their existence entirely. At the end of the day:
Sylph.Siccmade said:

I'm sure most religious folk pay it no mind.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:06:59
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:
I doubt that ghosts are "real." At least not in any easily explainable way, since they don't seem to fit within our observable, interactive, material reality.

If they do exist, then I don't think they're anything to be "f*cked with," so to speak. Or, perhaps I've just seen too many scary movies. =P

I've heard Christians explain ghost as demonic phenomena (similar to demonic possession). I've also heard them dismiss their existence entirely. At the end of the day:
Sylph.Siccmade said:

I'm sure most religious folk pay it no mind.

I'm pretty sure most people pay it no mind, but the ones that do frighten me...
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 13:07:08
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Siren.Kuz said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
My organ donor info is not in a "fill out-able" format, it's printed on a card by a machine.
I am confuse with wut u say.

Old joke from days gone by when on the back of your license, you could actually use the "check boxes" for donating your eyes, liver, kidneys, etc etc.

tl;dr I'm showing my age.
That actually makes sense.
And I get the joke now :D.
I guess I'm showing my age somewhat, but then again my age could be still in the land of vaguelus.

23-26 I'd say?
22, but close enough. 23 in exactly half a year because ironically it's exactly 6 months from my birthday today.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 13:07:54
Link | Citer | R

So you believe in ghosts? This will be interesting if you do.
 Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-13 13:09:33
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Titan.Wombat said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Siren.Kuz said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
My organ donor info is not in a "fill out-able" format, it's printed on a card by a machine.
I am confuse with wut u say.

Old joke from days gone by when on the back of your license, you could actually use the "check boxes" for donating your eyes, liver, kidneys, etc etc.

tl;dr I'm showing my age.
That actually makes sense.
And I get the joke now :D.
I guess I'm showing my age somewhat, but then again my age could be still in the land of vaguelus.

23-26 I'd say?
22, but close enough. 23 in exactly half a year because ironically it's exactly 6 months from my birthday today.

Look at you; wise beyond your years! Happy half birthday!
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:10:10
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:

if you're talking to me the simple answer is no.

I find no reason to believe such a thing exists, however due to some quantum theory I read awhile back that it's possible that thoughts linger, how exactly powerful said thoughts may be is unknown.

saying something is possible =/= believing in it.

ghosts are about as possible as pixies and goblins, I haven't seen proof for either of those either.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-13 13:13:54
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Ghost no. But peoples electric field could possibly cause changes into there surroundings and theoretically if enough of a similar strong enough signal feeling whatever was put into the same object enough theoretically it might be noticable. But generally would be lost in the static of everything else.

Basically somethign similar to Psychometry with more science
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 13:19:48
Link | Citer | R

ectoplasm

Quote:
There is good evidence that "ectoplasm" issues, or did issue on some and probably all occasions [from] one particular 'opening in the anatomy' (i.e., the vagina). (quoted in Roach 2005: 137)
 Siren.Kuz
Serveur: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-01-13 13:20:14
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Yep, that would do it. I got 15 years on ya buddy.
And it's amazing what those 15 year can do.
***, when I was 22... "internet" was like nerd talk, Cellphones didn't exist (people had "beepers") and ya didn't have to dial an area-code when calling a friend who lived in the same county as you.

/sigh
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:23:01
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
ectoplasm

Quote:
There is good evidence that "ectoplasm" issues, or did issue on some and probably all occasions [from] one particular 'opening in the anatomy' (i.e., the vagina). (quoted in Roach 2005: 137)

look out for Slimer
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 13:24:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I find no reason to believe such a thing exists, however due to some quantum theory I read awhile back that it's possible that thoughts linger, how exactly powerful said thoughts may be is unknown.
Yeah I don't believe in ghosts at all either. Arguably everything only exists because we are viewing it, using Physics that shows particles behave in a different manner when you, as a human, are watching it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:25:30
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Yeah I don't believe in ghosts at all either. Arguably everything only exists because we are viewing it, using Physics that shows particles behave in a different manner when you, as a human, are watching it.

I'd like to know where you got that idea from
edit: not to mention blind people
 Siren.Mallicard
Serveur: Siren
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-01-13 13:26:38
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:

(people had "beepers")

Bawitdaba came on my Pandora not too long ago and I lol'ed at the part that says, "And the Chicks with Beepers"

...When I got home from work I looked in my desk and found an old beeper...

topic derail over~
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 13:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:31:28
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Mallicard said:
Siren.Kuz said:

(people had "beepers")

Bawitdaba came on my Pandora not too long ago and I lol'ed at the part that says, "And the Chicks with Beepers"

...When I got home from work I looked in my desk and found an old beeper...

topic derail over~

I remember beepers, and the old cell phones, compared to them a monochrome that can get texts is a "smart phone"
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:31:53
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
ftfy
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 13:34:43
Link | Citer | R

and what does particles behaving in relationship to light have to do with whether or not a person is looking at something?
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 13:37:34
Link | Citer | R

They move and behave in different ways when you're looking or not looking, I can't explain it personally. I wish I could remember the exact tl;dr we were taught, it's really interesting.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 13:40:01
Link | Citer | R

This is excellent btw

Cerberus.Nutt
user: zuriel
By Cerberus.Nutt 2011-01-13 13:43:25
Link | Citer | R

I believe in Spirits. I believe that there are good Spirits and there are bad ones as well. I also believe that man/woman is a 3 person being - Spirit, Soul, and Body. (1 Th 5:23)

It bothers me because a majority of those shows are fake and is for entertainment purposes only. Remember Miss Cleo? It saddens me that these shows prey on the loved ones of the deceased who haven't let go.
 Bahamut.Weasel
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-01-13 13:54:14
Link | Citer | R

I'm a firm believer that "reality" is no more than your brain's perception of the world, making it relative for everyone and everything on the planet. It's a concept that nearly drove me to be a neuroscientist. If your brain is your reality and you are wired to experience things like the paranormal, it will be very real to you.

I'm not saying everyone is schizophrenic, nor am I saying that I'm closed-minded to ghosts existing. I just think that these people are interpreting reality way differently than the average person.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-01-13 14:03:10
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Ok, I never make these political/religious debate threads but my boyfriend and I were watching Ghost Hunters last night (just to kill time) and I had said to him "I wonder how religious people think about how people go out and hunt ghosts." So it made me a bit curious from religious folks of how they feel about the whole ghost hunting thing. And I'm not meaning from just TV shows but from any kind of ghost hunting. I heard that there is a show that they provoke the ghost/spirits. Just curious of the topic really.

@ op Right and so watching television was your first mistake and lumping all religious people into one catagory was the second. However, I was able to seize control of all religious people's minds and glean an answer for you and the answer is infinty. You see opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and they all stink.

The accumulated knowledge of the world population about the afterlife is a huge cornucopia of total crap with chunks of corn and peanuts in it and weird stuff you don't remember eating. It doesn't make any sense at all. I have met perfectly reasonable people that go to work every morning but believe in the back of their mind that smart cards are one of the signs of the apocolypse and the world is going to end any second now and they will be all "SEE! I told you it was the smart cards"

I went to "religious" school for ten years and studied all kinds of religious texts and all of them sounded to me like they were written by people who took one too many hits on the bong in college. I could never make any sense out of any of it. In the christian bible the book of revalations states that only the best 144,000 jews of all time get to go to heaven while everyone else eats flaming feces for all eternity while bing raped by giant scorpian tailed lion headed locust beasts. Yeah, read that one to the kids at night, sweet dreams hunny!

So throw a rock into a crowd at a swap meet and you are going to hit someone who beleives deep in their hearts that ghosts cause global warming because there are so gd many of them. Throw another rock and you may hit someone who believe ghosts are a figment of your imagination, but aliens are real and are commanding them to do things telepathically.

But back to your question. Lets switch out "religious people" for catholics, just as an example. Most catholics I have met don't see anyting at all weird about pretending to drink blood and eat human flesh and worship torture devices. Some say they don't believe in ghosts and at the same time they pray to dead people(saints)for help on everything including finding their car keys. They changed the phrase Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit because in catholic dogma there are no ghosts but there also wasn't any evolution, until they added "micro-evolution" in recently.

I realize none of this is any help to you whatsoever but this will be. The really real 100% true secret to life is

Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 14:12:31
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said:
In the christian bible the book of revalations states that only the best 144,000 jews of all time get to go to heaven while everyone else eats flaming feces for all eternity while bing raped by giant scorpian tailed lion headed locust beasts. Yeah, read that one to the kids at night, sweet dreams hunny!
No it doesn't.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-01-13 14:13:03
Link | Citer | R

I was not aware that people who are religious believed in ghosts. The "ghosts" they pursue on the show ghost hunters I would think aren't even thought about by the religious community. I don't think things like that should be confused with a belief in the afterlife as, in my experience and as someone else noted earliar, are very different beliefs. I should note that I am referring mainly to christianity as that's where my experience lies.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-01-13 14:17:35
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Ok, I never make these political/religious debate threads but my boyfriend and I were watching Ghost Hunters last night (just to kill time) and I had said to him "I wonder how religious people think about how people go out and hunt ghosts." So it made me a bit curious from religious folks of how they feel about the whole ghost hunting thing. And I'm not meaning from just TV shows but from any kind of ghost hunting. I heard that there is a show that they provoke the ghost/spirits. Just curious of the topic really.
@ op Right and so watching television was your first mistake and lumping all religious people into one catagory was the second. However, I was able to seize control of all religious people's minds and glean an answer for you and the answer is infinty. You see opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and they all stink. The accumulated knowledge of the world population about the afterlife is a huge cornucopia of total crap with chunks of corn and peanuts in it and weird stuff you don't remember eating. It doesn't make any sense at all. I have met perfectly reasonable people that go to work every morning but believe in the back of their mind that smart cards are one of the signs of the apocolypse and the world is going to end any second now and they will be all "SEE! I told you it was the smart cards" I went to "religious" school for ten years and studied all kinds of religious texts and all of them sounded to me like they were written by people who took one too many hits on the bong in college. I could never make any sense out of any of it. In the christian bible the book of revalations states that only the best 144,000 jews of all time get to go to heaven while everyone else eats flaming feces for all eternity while bing raped by giant scorpian tailed lion headed locust beasts. Yeah, read that one to the kids at night, sweet dreams hunny! So throw a rock into a crowd at a swap meet and you are going to hit someone who beleives deep in their hearts that ghosts cause global warming because there are so gd many of them. Throw another rock and you may hit someone who believe ghosts are a figment of your imagination, but aliens are real and are commanding them to do things telepathically. But back to your question. Lets switch out "religious people" for catholics, just as an example. Most catholics I have met don't see anyting at all weird about pretending to drink blood and eat human flesh and worship torture devices. Some say they don't believe in ghosts and at the same time they pray to dead people(saints)for help on everything including finding their car keys. They changed the phrase Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit because in catholic dogma there are no ghosts but there also wasn't any evolution, until they added "micro-evolution" in recently. I realize none of this is any help to you whatsoever but this will be. The really real 100% true secret to life is

The real saying is "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and nobody thinks thiers stinks"
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-01-13 15:14:20
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Nutt said:
I believe in Spirits. I believe that there are good Spirits and there are bad ones as well. I also believe that man/woman is a 3 person being - Spirit, Soul, and Body. (1 Th 5:23) It bothers me because a majority of those shows are fake and is for entertainment purposes only. Remember Miss Cleo? It saddens me that these shows prey on the loved ones of the deceased who haven't let go.

Not trying to be a smart ***, but what is the difference between a spirit and a soul. Is it that a soul comes from a previously living being?
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-13 15:28:28
Link | Citer | R

You would need a complete lack of brain cells to be taken in by any of these programs. Many of them employ actors and extras and film to a script. Besides what are the chances of a supernatural being showing up just because there is a camera ~_~