A Lv.65 Paladin - Rings?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » A Lv.65 Paladin - Rings?
A Lv.65 Paladin - Rings?
 Asura.Volition
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-02-20 11:17:24
Link | Citer | R

I currently do not have the r/ex rings such as Jelly or BQ, so what are good rings to use? Unyielding and what else? Just curious, because absolutely no one I talk to, even other paladins, have a strong opinion on this.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-02-20 11:32:04
Link | Citer | R

Hercules' Ring for sure.

Edit: Nvm.. you need 1 more lvl.. v.v but get it anyways!
 Kujata.Hrolandus
Serveur: Kujata
user: Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-02-20 11:40:45
Link | Citer | R

I currently have Jelly and Bombqueen rings on (yes they are rare/ex - scoop up some friends and get them, they are handy). However, though its a level off consider getting a Hercules' ring, very decent choice to give you a bit of a boost when things go bad and its got a nice bit of enmity the rest of the time. Otherwise, I'd just grab a vigor ring - the normal quality are fine - for an extra clump of vit. There really are no stand-outs otherwise that come to mind.
 Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-02-20 11:47:54
Link | Citer | R

Well, at level 66 you use hercules ring...
Off the top of my head, AH ring @ 65 would have several options, can use garrulous for extra str and agi for a shield proc or 2; whatever the highest level vit ring is at that point (dont know the name offhand) or if youre hard up for cash can use a phalanx ring. Herc ring would be way better than all those though, so best bet would be to either farm a jelly ring or gimp it up until 66 and get yourself a hercules ring.
 Leviathan.Dwimmerlaik
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dwimmerlaik 2009-02-20 12:03:07
Link | Citer | R

Mermaid and unyielding(3 vit and 7def >>>>> 4 vit or 10def) are also very solid choices.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-20 12:08:35
Link | Citer | R

Still using Using Unyielding ring, solid investment. Get a hercules ring to partner it, amazing ring with the emnity and latent refresh. Mermaids if you having hate control issues but you can get that emnity in other slots for cheaper.

Bombqueen if you can get it you can macro in with other hp+ gear to reel off some cures for hate even when hp is full, nice trick. Jelly ring is good to replace Unyielding.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-20 12:10:46
Link | Citer | R

2x Woodsman Ring or Woodsman/Rajas for exp.

Jelly Ring for damage reduction.

Sattva Ring > Hercules' Ring > Mermaid's Ring for enmity purposes (pick the top two you can get in that)

Bomb Queen Ring and Bloodbead Ring for self-cure purposes (shouldn't need it so much in exp).

VIT is well and truly dead at that level, and building purely for DEF leads to slow parties. If you are going to turtle though, Jelly Ring/something.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-02-20 12:18:06
Link | Citer | R

your so close to hercules, just use one of those acc rings till you have level for it (actually imo the -eva ones are better for pld)
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-20 12:25:29
Link | Citer | R

Definitely Sattva if you have it.

If not unyielding and bomb queen ring (BQR) are fine. Macro swap Herc or mermaid for hate as needed.

If no BQR the level 55 VIT ring is fine.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-20 13:02:19
Link | Citer | R

I'd prefer to full time a Herc over a bomb queen because Herc adds emnity to everything you do, but bomb queen does little once your hp has dropped 75 points, just my opinion though...
 Shiva.Ethereal
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-20 13:05:36
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Everyone responded rather well but keep in mind BQ & Jelly are very conditional and depend greatly on what you fight. Whatever you do, don't wear em on Suzaku lol.

Back in the day my old sky LS dared one of our PLDs to do it and needless to say he turned extra crispy when he ate a 1900 dmg flare lol. (The BLMs didn't stun on purpose >.>)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-20 13:29:51
Link | Citer | R

Ethereal said:
Everyone responded rather well but keep in mind BQ & Jelly are very conditional and depend greatly on what you fight. Whatever you do, don't wear em on Suzaku lol.

Back in the day my old sky LS dared one of our PLDs to do it and needless to say he turned extra crispy when he ate a 1900 dmg flare lol. (The BLMs didn't stun on purpose >.>)

While Jelly is clearly foolish to wear on suzy, its of no detriment to wear a BQR on suzy. -75 fire doesn't actually add damage to its attacks, it just drasticly lowers your chance or a full/partial resist of the spell.

Also to Celes, thats not exactly true. As kaeko showed in his live journal that enm lost per damage taken is not constant. In fact the more overall hp that you have, the less enm you lose when taking damage. Something to keep in mind when thinking of potential uses for things like BQR and gigant.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-20 13:31:16
Link | Citer | R

I personally just stayed with my Verve Ring +1 until 66 and used Unyeilding Ring when it became available. Sure there are other choices and I could have upgraded to the Lv.54 +1 ring... but I didn't see how dropping 300k for 1 def 1 vit was worth it.

I basically turtled PLD to 66 with high VIT and cure spamming for hate. Always made a party with RDM. Never had one complaint that I wasn't doing enough damage or I was holding the party back. Only compliments.

Edit: Yes, with this setup I still had 10-18k/hr parties at Leypoint and regular Colibri.
 Ifrit.Killmer
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Killmer
By Ifrit.Killmer 2009-02-20 13:42:27
Link | Citer | R

LOL vit rings... vit to str ratio becomes very skewed after about 55, so vit becomes pretty pointless unless youre totally decked out in it.you are better off wearing phalanx rings after about 55. mermaid and herc if you don't have sattva or go for acc rings if you have a bunch of hybrid stuff.

jelly is very sitituational. might not be a good idea to wear it in aht exp areas since most of them do magic damage past about 60ish.

bottom line, don't sacrifice enmity or acc for VIT.
 Lakshmi.Badkarma
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: BK
By Lakshmi.Badkarma 2009-02-20 14:37:01
Link | Citer | R

Raenryong said:
2x Woodsman Ring or Woodsman/Rajas for exp.

Jelly Ring for damage reduction.

Sattva Ring > Hercules' Ring > Mermaid's Ring for enmity purposes (pick the top two you can get in that)

Bomb Queen Ring and Bloodbead Ring for self-cure purposes (shouldn't need it so much in exp).

VIT is well and truly dead at that level, and building purely for DEF leads to slow parties. If you are going to turtle though, Jelly Ring/something.
\

2x Woodsman for TP, macro in Mermaid's and Herc ring for flash voke and other JA's spells.

Bottom line: Do not use VIT ring, EVER. Or convert HP to MP rings (unless your using the cure cheat)
 Asura.Volition
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-02-20 15:23:28
Link | Citer | R

Would anyone ever suggest a Toreador's ring? If so, how long would it last?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-20 16:04:32
Link | Citer | R

Forever really. Atonement-based tanking in endgame or exp, Toreador's Ring is amazing.

Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Volition said:
I currently do not have the r/ex rings such as Jelly or BQ, so what are good rings to use? Unyielding and what else? Just curious, because absolutely no one I talk to, even other paladins, have a strong opinion on this.

Unyielding & Phalanx Ring(+10 DEF, pretty cheap) to breach the gap to Herc Ring, in my opinion.

However, you should seriously consider getting a Mermaid Ring, even if only for macro. Enmity (Yes, please.)