Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Why the December update is 100% win
Why the December update is 100% win
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-10 12:35:02
Link | Citer | R

Hello everyone. Allow me to introduce you all to my favorite stat in the entire world of Vana'dielI:

Subtle Blow

That's right, subtle blow reduces the TP you give to an enemy while fighting it. Sounds boring right? Let me assure you, it's not. Especially when the enemy's HP is very low and you're evasion tanking it, so it's not getting TP by hitting you. By stacking subtle blow (along with a Dancer's natural proficiency in being subtle), you can greatly reduce the number of offensive skills an enemy will attemp tto unleash upon you while you dance with it in the moonlight. Or in the sunlight, I really don't care what time of day you're fighting.

There is...or at least...there was a downside to this amazing subtlety. There was a maximum level to which one could be subtle. I suppose, too much subtlety would be bad for a dancer's profession anyway, yeah? But alas, 50% was the maximum reduction in dealt TP, which unfortunately, is not enough.

"More subtlety," we yelled, "We wish to be less blunt while we are dancing and eviscerating things in the face! Is there anything to be done!?"

However, the development team at Square Enix heard our cries!

Quote:
The amount of TP a character deals to the target will now decrease proportionate to his or her AGI.

For those of you not versed in this sort of speech, allow me to translate into a language with which you may be more familiar:

Quote:
YO YO DAWG WE HEARD YOU LIKED SUBTLE BLOW SO WE PUT SOME SUBTLE BLOW IN YO SUBTLE BLOW SO YOU CAN BLOW SUBTLY WHILE YOU SUBTLY BLOW

Hearing this glorious news I visited my friend Joachim in Port Jeuno, seduced some Traverser Stones out of him, and had his friend Horst send me to the gateway to Abyssea, where I knew I could find some formidable foes with whom to dance.

The first stop was Abyssea-Misareaux, where I decided I would attempt to have a face-to-face dagger match with none other than the ornery orobon, Cep-Kamuy. My previous encounters with this enemy had been on a different class, and our strategy for defeating him relied on keeping our distance. Today would be different! I killed his friends who were swimming around in the river and sliced out one of their cheeks and employed it as bait to lure him out of hiding...and asked him to dance. As we were dancing, I noticed a significant decrease in the frequency at which he would attempt to use a special skill. In fact, upon his defeat, he had only used 4 special attacks!

I took to Abyssea-Attohwa and decided to try my luck against that nasty scorpion, Kampe! I noticed the same thing! It only used a special skill 3 times in the entire fight...

It certainly makes things much easier for me, especially when there are no mages around to keep an eye out for me!

In short:
Quote:

Dude...this new AGI based subtle blow thing is brokenly awesome.
Sup Atma of the Gnarled Horn?
[+]
 Asura.Tristean
Serveur: Asura
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2010-12-10 15:13:56
Link | Citer | R

Cep-Kamuy(as you know :p)has always been able to be tanked by a DNC and even a THF. Makes it much easier for procing red !! than having a BLM kite/nuke it.

Never tried soloing kampe but now I guess I'll try.

I have noticed that NMs in visions and scars areas are now jokes though now that we're 90. The new subtle blow trait however comes in handy greatly in heroes areas.

Tablilla(the mini Faust) in abyssea - altepa would spam typhoon the first time I fought him because we had DDs galore on it. When I solo him, he uses it 3 times max.

I've also noticed a difference when tanking things like Sobek, Eccentric Eve, Ovni and the likes. Hardly any TP moves used.

You can't hit the DNCs and when the DNC hits you, YOU DON'T GET TP :D. This is only a savior for dnc on account of how fast it attacks without outside support.

Thank you SE. Best part of the update(besides your new awesome atmas).
[+]
 Cerberus.Sey
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2010-12-10 15:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Now that BLU have 2 TP down spells, I wonder how awesome it'll be to have 2 non-attacking BLUs spamming those spells as you melee.
 Asura.Nususu
user: nususu
By Asura.Nususu 2010-12-10 15:27:46
Link | Citer | R

I would like to use this thread as an opportunity to encourage all other DDs to use as much subtle blow - gear as possible.
[+]
By sefalon 2010-12-10 15:28:30
Link | Citer | R

I would like to solo those nms as well. Could let me know what atmas you were using and maybe gear set? I have a hard time not using razed ruins but if there is better options I am all ears
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-10 20:24:48
Link | Citer | R

sefalon said:
I would like to solo those nms as well. Could let me know what atmas you were using and maybe gear set? I have a hard time not using razed ruins but if there is better options I am all ears

Nothing amazing.
Razed Ruins + Gnarled Horn atma.

Notable evasion gear:
Kila+2 (+20)
Scouter's Rope (+10)
Charis Tights+1 (+10)
Dance Shoes+1 (+7)
Boxer's Mantle (+10skill)

Notable Subtle Blow gear:
Rajas (+5)
Charis Neck (+5)
Heed Ring (+7)
Auric Dagger (+10)

One thing that may be super-notable is that I have 5/5 fan dance.

Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-10 20:26:54
Link | Citer | R

I also used the same setup to duo/trio Lusca.
Pretty sure you could solo it on DNC if you got lucky and he didn't use the physical absorb move.
(He didn't use it in 2/3 of our fights)

5/6 on tiara+2!
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-10 20:44:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Tristean said:
Cep-Kamuy(as you know :p)has always been able to be tanked by a DNC and even a THF. Makes it much easier for procing red !! than having a BLM kite/nuke it.

Thank you SE. Best part of the update(besides your new awesome atmas).

Tankable isn't the same thing as soloable.
The most dangerous part about the fight is Leeching Current, as it will still do a ton of damage sometimes even through Fan Dance.
(Apparently it counts as physical).
Basically, if I'd been hit a few times, and fan dance wasn't up, I'd turn around and back tank it until the timer was back up. I wouldn't recommend risking taking a leeching current at anything lower than Fan Dance -4. Having 5/5 fan dance makes this much faster, at least.

I actually use some of the weirder new atmas on occasion. I love Atma of the Inpenetrable for anything that spams breath moves (HI BALAUR).

Cerberus.Sey said:
Now that BLU have 2 TP down spells, I wonder how awesome it'll be to have 2 non-attacking BLUs spamming those spells as you melee.

...wow
that's
genius.

Also, BLU has *3* TP down spells.

Light of Penance
Feather Tickle
Reaving Wind
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-10 22:24:37
Link | Citer | R

Just trio'd Usurper with WHM, BRD, DNC.
It barely used any TP attacks, I'm loving this <3
 Alexander.Kolossus
Serveur: Alexander
By Alexander.Kolossus 2010-12-10 22:51:20
Link | Citer | R

With the addition of a 3rd Lunar Abyssite, which makes for a third Atma infused, Gnarled Horn will certainly be a great choice. RR/VV/GH Atmas will make for some great soloing.

Edit: NIN has those TP down ninjutsu, as well.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Serveur: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-12-10 23:07:11
Link | Citer | R

on bg i think there was a thread saying that the agi-tp reduction was different and stacked with subtle blow cap, meaning u can go over 50% tp reduction now >.>;

that being said, ninja makes a really great job for solo/lowmanning things even moar than before now.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-12-10 23:37:55
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said:
Pretty sure you could solo it on DNC if you got lucky and he didn't use the physical absorb move.

5/6 on tiara+2!
We've lowmanned this quite a few times, and our thf tank discovered that he can still damage it during physical absorb mode by tp'ing on it and using magical ws (Aeolian Edge?). He'd do more damage with the ws that he healed it with his tp.
[+]
 Asura.Tristean
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2010-12-10 23:37:58
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Ghaleon said:
on bg i think there was a thread saying that the agi-tp reduction was different and stacked with subtle blow cap, meaning u can go over 50% tp reduction now >.>; that being said, ninja makes a really great job for solo/lowmanning things even moar than before now.

would you be talking about this?

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/101126-New-Job-Traits-amp-Abilities-(12-7-10)/page6
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 00:36:41
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Here is why the December update is 100% fail.

SE was still and is still working on fixing things because of it and they have *** over their PS2 community.

Sux2beu.
AFK SOLOING IRATHAM.

...oh wow firaga III for 2035, nvm.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 00:44:22
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Blazza said:

5/6 on tiara+2!
We've lowmanned this quite a few times, and our thf tank discovered that he can still damage it during physical absorb mode by tp'ing on it and using magical ws (Aeolian Edge?). He'd do more damage with the ws that he healed it with his tp.

When it switches to physical mode, I switch to some crappy level 20 daggers.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-11 01:12:48
Link | Citer | R

SE was still and is still working on fixing things because of it and they have *** over their PS2 community.

Sux2beu.
AFK SOLOING IRATHAM.

<<violent flourish>> <<do you have it?>>
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-11 01:28:07
Link | Citer | R

I say the december update was about 60% win, the only reason I don't give it 100% is because of their epic failure on the glitches (which I wouldn't knock that much, but their refusal to fix it is just pathetic)
they need a good lawsuit to keep them in line, but on what grounds, hmm.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 04:25:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Sux2beu.
AFK SOLOING IRATHAM.

Yes!
But screw that new BLM trait.
 Bismarck.Helixx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-12-11 04:44:45
Link | Citer | R

Noticed the subtle blowa lot yesterday when soloing ovni! (MNK/nin)
It really helped me out, since that thing has a ton of HP and a massive PDT-.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-11 04:54:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Sux2beu.
AFK SOLOING IRATHAM.

Yes!
But screw that new BLM trait.
you can use nebula gear btw :o
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-12-11 05:07:51
Link | Citer | R

I can attest to the greatness of the AGI=Subtle Blow tweak. I've been active in duoing some T2-T3 NMs in Abyssea lately, and rarely do they ever use TP moves, even while I'm spamming my spells. I also noticed, in a somewhat more tragic twist, that it has made learning Blue Magic from weaker monsters a bit more difficult.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 05:09:52
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said:
I can attest to the greatness of the AGI=Subtle Blow tweak. I've been active in duoing some T2-T3 NMs in Abyssea lately, and rarely do they ever use TP moves, even while I'm spamming my spells. I also noticed, in a somewhat more tragic twist, that it has made learning Blue Magic from weaker monsters a bit more difficult.
Yessssss
I noticed that too.
Although it gave me an excuse to beat on things with my moogle rod for a little longer, so it was OK.

KUPO
KUPO
KUPO
Critical hit!
Kupo!
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-11 05:15:31
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Yessssss
I noticed that too.
Although it gave me an excuse to beat on things with my moogle rod for a little longer, so it was OK.

KUPO
KUPO
KUPO
Critical hit!
Kupo!
aww i want one!
 Asura.Darkultima
By Asura.Darkultima 2010-12-11 05:38:02
Link | Citer | R

Would the Ambusher's Hose be a better option then ocelot pants for a soloing purpose now?
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 06:48:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Valefor.Prothescar said:
Yessssss
I noticed that too.

KUPO
KUPO
KUPO
Critical hit!
Kupo!
aww i want one!

I bring it out almost exclusively for learning BLU spells lol.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-11 06:49:39
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Darkultima said:
Would the Ambusher's Hose be a better option then ocelot pants for a soloing purpose now?

I don't think so.
You wanna stack on some SB, but don't forget that you want to deal some damage too.

Right now I use AF3+1 pants, but I've been killing Usurper for some trousers.
 Valefor.Grozny
Serveur: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-12-13 10:16:19
Link | Citer | R

Also, BLU has *3* TP down spells.

Light of Penance
Feather Tickle
Reaving Wind

Also Delta Thrust for the plague.

I agree I am loving the new AGI change. Last night I went out to try soloing Waugyl & Ansherekh, a drg friend was in zone so I invited them just in case the sojourn dropped from Waugyl. Both should be an easy enough solo as dnc, only real problem could be the paralyze from Ansherekh.

With 3 lunar now, I tried out:
Cloak & Dagger
Razed Ruin
Kirin

I think Kirin is a nice little atma for Dnc. 40 Agi, and Macc superior for violent flourish.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-13 11:02:24
Link | Citer | R

...wow that's genius. Also, BLU has *3* TP down spells. Light of Penance Feather Tickle Reaving Wind

Also, add in Lowing to the mix to ensure no TP moves ever happen.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-12-13 12:39:50
Link | Citer | R

Hello everyone. Allow me to introduce you all to my favorite stat in the entire world of Vana'dielI:

Subtle Blow

That's right, subtle blow reduces the TP you give to an enemy while fighting it. Sounds boring right? Let me assure you, it's not. Especially when the enemy's HP is very low and you're evasion tanking it, so it's not getting TP by hitting you. By stacking subtle blow (along with a Dancer's natural proficiency in being subtle), you can greatly reduce the number of offensive skills an enemy will attemp tto unleash upon you while you dance with it in the moonlight. Or in the sunlight, I really don't care what time of day you're fighting.

There is...or at least...there was a downside to this amazing subtlety. There was a maximum level to which one could be subtle. I suppose, too much subtlety would be bad for a dancer's profession anyway, yeah? But alas, 50% was the maximum reduction in dealt TP, which unfortunately, is not enough.

"More subtlety," we yelled, "We wish to be less blunt while we are dancing and eviscerating things in the face! Is there anything to be done!?"

However, the development team at Square Enix heard our cries!

Quote:
The amount of TP a character deals to the target will now decrease proportionate to his or her AGI.

For those of you not versed in this sort of speech, allow me to translate into a language with which you may be more familiar:

Quote:
YO YO DAWG WE HEARD YOU LIKED SUBTLE BLOW SO WE PUT SOME SUBTLE BLOW IN YO SUBTLE BLOW SO YOU CAN BLOW SUBTLY WHILE YOU SUBTLY BLOW

Hearing this glorious news I visited my friend Joachim in Port Jeuno, seduced some Traverser Stones out of him, and had his friend Horst send me to the gateway to Abyssea, where I knew I could find some formidable foes with whom to dance.

The first stop was Abyssea-Misareaux, where I decided I would attempt to have a face-to-face dagger match with none other than the ornery orobon, Cep-Kamuy. My previous encounters with this enemy had been on a different class, and our strategy for defeating him relied on keeping our distance. Today would be different! I killed his friends who were swimming around in the river and sliced out one of their cheeks and employed it as bait to lure him out of hiding...and asked him to dance. As we were dancing, I noticed a significant decrease in the frequency at which he would attempt to use a special skill. In fact, upon his defeat, he had only used 4 special attacks!

I took to Abyssea-Attohwa and decided to try my luck against that nasty scorpion, Kampe! I noticed the same thing! It only used a special skill 3 times in the entire fight...

It certainly makes things much easier for me, especially when there are no mages around to keep an eye out for me!

In short:
Quote:

Dude...this new AGI based subtle blow thing is brokenly awesome.
Sup Atma of the Gnarled Horn?

i like the way you talk..

..and you got a purdy mouf
[+]
First Page 2