Forum » FFXI » General » Dancing Edge Setups
Dancing Edge Setups
 Shiva.Ethereal
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-19 23:09:41
| Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Hello fellow thieves. I recently learned dancing edge and I am loving it. I know this will be used throughout my thief career, so I built myself a little wishlist on what I feel would be a pretty solid, yet not ridiculously impossible to obtain setup for Dancing Edge. I realize I only just learned this WS and have much more to learn about optimizing it, however feel free to input on my list and add on or improve it however you see fit.

Thanks for your input guys~

DE Setup
 Caitsith.Tanith
Serveur: Caitsith
user: tanith
By Caitsith.Tanith 2009-02-19 23:51:11
Link | Citer | R

Potentially, could use Cuchulain's Mantle, Brutal Earring instead of Delta, N.feet and Enkidu's Subligar, besides that its a decent set up.
 Siren.Delirium
Serveur: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-19 23:54:48
Link | Citer | R

ditch the thunder ring and earrings and go snipers and atk or triumph earrings imo. you want to make sure ever hit connects and you'll need more accuracy. and never ever have -enm on your thf. also you're probably going to want ethereal earring (5atk 5eva) over hollow better for solo. heca feet will also be better damage wise
 Siren.Delirium
Serveur: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-19 23:56:49
Link | Citer | R

Tanith said:
Potentially, could use Cuchulain's Mantle, Brutal Earring instead of Delta, N.feet and Enkidu's Subligar, besides that its a decent set up.

totally forgot about brutal earring
 Caitsith.Tanith
Serveur: Caitsith
user: tanith
By Caitsith.Tanith 2009-02-20 00:16:58
Link | Citer | R

For the most part DEX will be better than STR as its a modifier for SA and also DE, and your fstr will cap relatively low w/ a Dagger. So unless its a much larger amount of STR for DEX ratio (i.e N.harness over something else) its better to stack DEX+ gear in the slots that you can. Additionally if you've got access to N.head that would be another solid piece that I forgot to mention prior.

But as for Triumph earrings, leave the STR stacking for something like SA Mercy Stroke.
 Alexander.Zykei
Serveur: Alexander
user: Zykei
By Alexander.Zykei 2009-02-20 01:36:16
Link | Citer | R

Dusk Trousers til N.Legs; Enkidu's Mitts > N.Hands for DE as well.

And that's about it for everything that wasn't mentioned by everyone else.
 Shiva.Ethereal
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-20 02:24:46
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Awesome, thank you all for your input. The reason for excluding brutal earring was simply because I forgot >.> And I realize -enmity is bad for THF, I just thought about where I could get away with minor bits of CHR, but obviously DEX and accuracy are clearly the priorities for assuring maximum damage and landing all hits more so than secondary mods. For everything else, I would assume STR & Attack would give it more kick than my silly idea of CHR earring/boots.

Anyways, again I appreciate your insight and suggestions ^^

Ninja Edit: Just for kicks I made my "Cloud 9" version of Dancing Edge setup to be as -ultimate- and ridiculous to obtain as possible. Again keep in mind I have much to learn so if something is off key let me know lol.

Dream On DE
 Ifrit.Jurai
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-02-20 02:39:20
Link | Citer | R

I really don't think so much acc items is needed- maybe Heca boots and Warwolf belt might even be better for more mods- the slight more attack with the belt and acc on the boots I doubt will help since ya have so much already with the other items.. maybe the Toreador ring as well.
 Shiva.Ethereal
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-20 02:51:47

Oh, well I just figured that since it was a mutli-hit weapon skill I should have a good mixture of atk & acc without stacking the mods on too heavy. But I suppose I did go abit overkill in both departments and adding mods for base dmg & fstr wouldn't be a bad idea.
 Alexander.Zykei
By Alexander.Zykei 2009-02-20 03:18:49
Link | Citer | R

Acc depends on the mob. Generally its best to stick as much acc as possible til you cap out 95% acc on the mob. Even with capped acc, its a multi-hit skill so its really 0.95^5 = 77% on landing all 5 hits.

Attack is based on mob as well ,as I believe, most multi-hit skills don't have a high attack multiplier like single hit WSs does. Assuming you're using DE on merit mobs (as you shouldn't be using DE on HNM type mobs anyways), you won't hit capped attack anytime soon, unless maybe with berserk + 2x minuet + a lucky chaos roll.

For all multi-hit skills (3+) I think the best way to approach it is ACC > ATK > MODS
 Shiva.Ethereal
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-20 03:20:48

Zykei said:
Acc depends on the mob. Generally its best to stick as much acc as possible til you cap out 95% acc on the mob. Even with capped acc, its a multi-hit skill so its really 0.95^5 = 77% on landing all 5 hits.

Attack is based on mob as well ,as I believe, most multi-hit skills don't have a high attack multiplier like single hit WSs does. Assuming you're using DE on merit mobs (as you shouldn't be using DE on HNM type mobs anyways), you won't hit capped attack anytime soon, unless maybe with berserk + 2x minuet + a lucky chaos roll.

For all multi-hit skills (3+) I think the best way to approach it is ACC > ATK > MODS

Couldn't agree more ^^ Thank you for your wisdom yet again~
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-02-20 04:42:55
Link | Citer | R

The amount of acc required depends massively on what you are fighting.

At merit camps you will need ~380-420 total acc to reach the cap of 95% acc. So get that acc... then stack all your mods/att/str.

On more evasive mobs then you will need to sacrafice some of the mods for more acc.

Simply put there is no dream cover all gear set.

Assuming a a fully merited dagger skill and 75 base DEX (very rough guess), the first set will hit 95% acc at the birdy camp (with some overkill)

http://ninjafada.com/ffxi/
 Ifrit.Jurai
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-02-20 05:02:55
Link | Citer | R

Zykei said:

I agree with this but don't keep try to stack acc because your ws doesn't hit all hits all the time. Once ya get the acc cap it wont help to add more for multi-hit ws.

Argettio said:

Assuming a a fully merited dagger skill and 75 base DEX (very rough guess), the first set will hit 95% acc at the birdy camp (with some overkill)

Will hit maybe TPing.. not to be confused with WS. You can pile ACC in every slot for DE and hit the same amount of hits regularly as with a set for mods/attack once your acc is about capped.

Why I said before the acc ring or acc on boots compared to some stat boost is probably not worth it.

Just for crude example.. I can use dusk gloves/boots/wturban and hit 95% acc on plenty of mobs over Homam items and then gain acc when I change to ws set but still not hit 4/5 a lot of times. So using acc items 'just because' over others is not really the catch all solution. It just averages out regardless unless you are very lacking in acc.
 Alexander.Zykei
By Alexander.Zykei 2009-02-20 06:11:49
Link | Citer | R

Jurai said:
Zykei said:

I agree with this but don't keep try to stack acc because your ws doesn't hit all hits all the time. Once ya get the acc cap it wont help to add more for multi-hit ws.

The thing is, in most situations, you should be very near if not capped acc in the first place, be it from food (pizza/sushi) and/or Madrigal/hunter's roll from supports. With this in mind, you are allow to take off acc and add attack/dex in its place.

Shits situational, if you got a bunch of 2handers in your PT, WS in a acc body, if your support is giving you acc bonuses, WS in Dragon Harness or w/e better body you have.