60TB Of Data From Everquest 2 Logs!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » 60TB of data from Everquest 2 logs!
60TB of data from Everquest 2 logs!
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-18 15:22:30
Link | Citer | R

Science gleans 60TB of behavior data from Everquest 2 logs

Interesting article my friend found, thought I'd share it with you guys~ ^^

Quote:
Mostly, the gamers seemed healthy; their body mass index was better than the US average and, although they were slightly more depressed than average, they were also less anxious.

Buried among those happy, average players was a small subset of the population—about five percent—who used the game for serious role playing and, according to Williams, "They are psychologically much worse off than the regular players." They belong to marginalized groups, like ethnic and religious minorities and non-heterosexuals, and tended to use the game as a coping mechanism.

lol at this XD
 Ramuh.Jackel
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2009-02-18 15:33:05
Link | Citer | R

It's an interesting read, although it was first published earlier last year. Not sure what they updated on it by just skimming it over though.

Edit: Found the story I was referring to. Attached to the link.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-18 15:47:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Interesting, yet disturbing at the same time, on both ends. Everyone has their reasons for playing, but to have the corporations dig through everything, analyze and make judgments is kinda sickening.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-18 17:49:42
Link | Citer | R

lol, it's like official stalking X_x;
 Asura.Malekith
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-18 18:04:41
Link | Citer | R

Sony turned over the data to researchers who themselves are the ones making judgments BUT ONLY ABOUT observed behavior exhibited in game. As far as I could read/ dig up on followup research people behind the toons remain anonymous.

It's not stalking in the least.
 Shiva.Phioness
Serveur: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-18 18:30:10
Link | Citer | R

I loved this part: Older women turned out to be some of the most committed players but significantly under-reported the amount of time they spent in the game by three hours per week (men under-reported as well, but only by one hour).

lol