Pup? What Are We Lookin At..

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Pup? What are we lookin at..
Pup? What are we lookin at..
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-16 08:18:39
Link | Citer | R

ok...1) About how much would it be to level this job (not counting gear) just the things needed (automation costs, oil, etc.) 2) anyone think that job is good? bad? ok? lol? lol im kinda wanting to level it...and i dont really know much about it atm so just kinda wonderin what exactly im lookin at.
 Shiva.Tigris
Serveur: Shiva
user: Bour
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-16 08:26:25
Link | Citer | R

I'm speaking purely as an observer, I personally only have it to level 10.

1) Attachments have a very wide range in cost, just like gear for you. Look them up at your local AH to see how prices are. Remember, some can be crafted, some are drops only from ZNM's and such. Oil is sold in Whitegate by a vendor, and I believe it's fairly inexpensive. I wanna say Alchemy guild vendor, but not 100% sure.

2) PUPs, when played right and with skill, are VERY devastating. I've had a PUP main heal a party, and I've had a PUP out DD 2 SAM's and a RNG. They're BLM attachment seems to be lacking, but their RNG and WAR attachments seem to make up for that with their brutal damage.

One last bit of advice before you level PUP... despite what I just said, people have a very negative view on PUPs, and it may be hard to get party invites. Get used to subbing NIN, throwing your WHM attachment on, and soloing all day.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-16 08:53:57
Link | Citer | R

I like pup, its like monk with a personal assistant. I see PuPs solo colibri as /dnc with a healing automaton. Some do some crazy black magic too. It's awesome they can weaponskill with you too. It depends what type of pup you want to be really. I know oils for automatons, some are sold by the vendors in whitegate.

Some attachments may be expensive but you can find out how to get them and see if you have a chance to get them or just save to buy.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-16 09:16:47
Link | Citer | R

Speaking as a 75pup..

1.) I wont lie. Attachments are gonna run you a pretty penny. If you're serious about the job, get them all asap. Unlike scrolls, you can get them all at Lv 1, and provide an amazing boost to your automaton in parties. Oils wont run you nearly as much, but depending how careful/less you are, could run quite a bit.

2.) Pup is a fun job, just not needed in endgame, so expect to be stuck on blm. The ironic part though, when fully merited the automaton can often outnuke a blm using the same spell (Highest automaton spell is Blizzard 4).

The few problems Pup has is the Soulsoother AI. It will prioritize -na spells over curing, so if you're anyplace with status inducing mobs, dont bother with soulsoother. The Valoredge automaton has the defense of a wet piece of paper, even with the best attachments. Recast time applies to all spells on pup, not just the spell cast unlike the other mage jobs.

The pros, It's a fun job if you give it a chance. The survivability of pup is great, And if played right, you can put out some nice numbers.. Granted nothing like a SAM, MNK, or most DD's can do.. but its enough between you and your maton to hold your own.

All in all, go for it. The pricetags high in the beginning, but it'll all be worth it at 75.
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-16 09:30:50
Link | Citer | R

1) Well... On my server (I don't know how it compares to your server) all of the attachments from AH only cost a total of about 3 mil. Then you have about 25k each per frame and another ~100k or so for your AF. Oils generally shouldn't cost you too much unless you're solo'ing and letting your puppet take a lot of the damage. Even if you are though, you can always rest instead. 90% of the time you won't "need" to use an oil, but it sure does speed things up.

2) You can put out some nice damage higher up, but up thru the mid-levels your damage still won't be all that impressive. It is a good job imo and very fun. =) Mine's at 53 btw. ^.^
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-16 09:59:28
Link | Citer | R

k thx for the price assumption. Shouldnt be too pricey to level it compared to some (drk nearly broke me) As far as soloing, is it slightly safer than bst and smn for the fact that ur pet wont turn on u and u dont have mp to run out of? Or does Overload kind of balance that out?
 Fairy.Antigone
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-02-16 10:23:56
Link | Citer | R

Overload just takes away Manuvers for a short time. Only Coiler, Optic Fiber, and Turbo Charger are really expencive, and in my opinion Optic Fiber (200k-400k) is the only one you cant live without until you can afford the others. Dont get me wrong Turbo Charger and Coiler are both great and worth the gil but Optic Fiber is amazing for making your other attachments much much stronger.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-16 10:34:44
Link | Citer | R

Again, the prices all depend on how serious you want to be with pup.

Can you live without all the expensive attachments, sure. But if you want to be good at your job, pick them up as soon as you could.
 Quetzalcoatl.Arthur
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Arthur 2009-02-16 10:38:16
Link | Citer | R

Based on fighting EM+ mobs. I think its all about the same, just depends on what exactly you are fighting.
BST really need good pets around to be able to solo stuff easily. Your pet will never randomly attack you, its all based on the lvl of the monster and Charm+ gear. So if your charming DC-T mobs and have good charm+ gear you can kill almost anything.. (EM+)

If your fighting EM+ mobs on SMN theres alot to worry about like, losing mp, grabing hate and pet missing. Usually fighting stuff with low hp like imps is good on SMN just because the spike dmg pretty much destroy them.

PUP usually can fight where ever they want as long as they are prepared enough and, echo drops, oils, evasion gear. Flashbulb+Shadows go veeery far as long as you dont mess up. It requires more skill the bst and smn!

Can't really say which one is safer when its so situational.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-16 10:40:34
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I just gave kind of an overall price. You can easily get 90% of the attachments for ~500k-1mil. The thing that kind of sucks about the attachments is they're like spells and you can never 'un-attach' them from your puppet to sell if you don't think the attachment is worth it. Once you attach it, your gil is gone forever! >.>
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-16 10:43:11
Link | Citer | R

Lemme just say this before we get onto the whole soloing topic.

Pups can solo, but shouldnt. Sure, we can kill T's but the time it takes to kill is too long to be worthwhile. The only exception to this is while LFP or skilling guard or automaton magic.
 Shiva.Tigris
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-16 15:36:22
Link | Citer | R

@Tbest: You absolutely can remove attachments. I have, and sold them back. Putting attachments on your puppet is the same as equipping gear for yourself, it can come and go without issues. And no attachments are R/Ex so you can always sell them back if you feel you no longer need them or have upgraded them.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-16 15:38:48
Link | Citer | R

Tigris said:
@Tbest: You absolutely can remove attachments. I have, and sold them back. Putting attachments on your puppet is the same as equipping gear for yourself, it can come and go without issues. And no attachments are R/Ex so you can always sell them back if you feel you no longer need them or have upgraded them.

cool I didn't know that. good info to know, i always thought they were lost forever
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-16 16:15:13
Link | Citer | R

O.oa Seriously? lol Guess I just haven't talked to that NPC enough. Good to know!

Edit: Ummm... Is Wiki wrong?

"...
You may equip any attachments at PUP01.
You can only have one of each attachment for your Automaton.
Attachments do not take up any inventory space after they have been fitted to your Automaton.
Once fitted, attachments can not be replaced, unfitted, dropped or destroyed.
You will never need more than 1 of each.
After you talk to Tateeya once, you do not need to be on PUP to trade her more attachments
..."

O.oa
 Shiva.Tigris
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-16 17:51:11
Link | Citer | R

Unless they changed it recently... I specifically remember doing that (because I was desperate for a little gil, haha). But I know for a fact I took them off... maybe I'm going insane... @_@

Edit: Just went back and checked, and I am insane. You can unequip them, but not remove and sell. Sorry about that, my bad.