Sandbox Racing Games For PC?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Sandbox racing games for PC?
Sandbox racing games for PC?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-19 16:58:10
Link | Citer | R

Anyone know of any open world street racing games for PC that are like the Midnight Club series where you're free to choose your own route? I've been playing a lot of the new NFS lately and realized why I'm no longer really a fan of the series.. Routes are closed. It just doesn't take the same skill to win a race in a closed course racing game that it does on an open world, mistakes are limited to crashes basically, while on open world, even taking the wrong turn can lose you the race.

I'm really looking for more recent games.. I have plenty of older racing games, just want to see if I missed any good ones.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-11-19 17:11:06
Link | Citer | R

I don't think there are many open world racing games anymore, if any at all recently.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-11-19 19:35:51
Link | Citer | R

Test Drive Unlimited is/was open-road racing. The premise is that players develop their character's stable of cars (and houses to hold those cars) with money from various racing events, with the entirety of the Hawaiian island of O'ahu in the US graphically mapped out around which to drive.

Various set "challenges" (races) utilise portions of the game mega-map to outline courses (with the normal timed, head-to-head, group racing, elimination, etc. races) but the game also defaults to free-driving mode where the player can just navigate over the main map (and drive around the entire island) at their own leisure. In the online version, other players in the area can set up challenges with you where you define the start and end points of your race using the same over-map. In the offline version, there are AI-controlled cars that randomly drive around the area and drive near you which you can challenge in the same way for ad hoc racing (some with amazing halo/super-cars, and others with lower-tier cars also.)

The game is a bit old now, and the online servers are pretty empty, but it's a good offline game as well. There is even a "hardcore mode" where the game operates more like a sim than an arcade game, with much more realistic breaking and handling and acceleration dynamics.

Sometime in 2011 they will release TDU2 so if you aren't still enamoured entirely with GT5 by then, maybe consider looking into that one. TDU2 will be set in Ibiza, ESP, so it will be another "island sandbox" type racer.