Forum » FFXI » General » Fishing troubles
Fishing troubles
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-10 21:29:29
| Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I hate Alla and BG, none of my LS members are fishers, so I resort to the only community I like.

I'm having troubles fishing in SSG. I don't pull up anything, I only get "You didn't catch anything." messages over and over. So let's start ruling out the possible problems:

- Combo is Halycon + Shrimp Lure, targeting Nebimonite's.
- Using this combo I pulled up atleast 10ish nebi's in the past.
- I haven't fished in 24 hours, and in total I've pulled up 10 fish in 72 hours.
- I've zoned.. lots. Constantly warping to town and OPing back.
- In the past 72 hours, I've been able to pull up Moat Carp in Windy with no troubles. Upon moving to SSG, it's as if no fish exist in the lake.
- I've witnessed other players pulling up Nebi's, consistently and steadily, using the same lure as me. (Just not Lu Shangs, I'm not that rich yet)

Any ideas anyone? I'm half tempted to chew out a GM. As a matter of fact, it all started when I called a GM in SSG...
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-10 21:37:12
Link | Citer | R

My advice doesn't fix your situation, but it does provide a very ample alternative.

I myself targetted Nebimonite whilst skilling up at these levels, simply because of the potential to make a killing whilst doing so. I found Sea Serpent Grotto to be the perfect spot... At first, anyway. I started to notice a very irritating pattern to develop. After about an hour of fishing, I found myself constantly getting "You didn't catch anything." messages, that no amount of zoning would resolve.

I am a patient fisher, I fish for the relaxation, and as such can endure pretty horrid fishing conditions, but this just took the biscuit. No matter how much I tried, what time I went, how long I stayed for, Sea Serpent Grotto just plain sucked for me. I found hook rates to be terrible and in the end I decided there had to be a better way to skill up. I tried Nebimonite on the Ferry using Crayfish Paste and had slightly more success.

I have read the guides that imply Nebimonite are a fantastic hook rate. Either these guides are wrong, or I am just plain unlucky. After a few hours on the Ferry, I gave up. It just wasn't worth the time. I was not hooking fish, and when I did, I was not getting skill ups. As I previously said before, I am a patient fisher and do so for the enjoyment, not to speed skill ups.

So I decided that perhaps I should just concentrate on trying to hook multiple skill up fish instead. The alternative was incredible. I went to East Ronfaure at level 14 and fished up Cheval Salmon and Shining Trout. Both of them yield skill ups and the bite rate was fantastic. At some points I was literally getting constant bites for hours, with regular skill ups thrown in. Cheval Salmon caps at 21, Shining Trout much higher (Either late 30s or early 40s, I am not entirely sure.) You will need to use the button-tap method to catch some of the Trout, at such a low level they really kick.

Perhaps the best part is they are the only thing, asides from monsters, you can hook there. Use a Halcyon Rod and a Fly Lure and you'll be very pleased with the skill up rate. The only down side is that both types of fish are next to worthless.

After I hit 21 and capped on Cheval Salmon, I moved to Carpenter's Landing where I am currently fishing. I'm now 31.5, fishing up Dark Bass and Shining Trout using a Minnow instead of a Fly Lure. Skill ups are equally as fantastic here as they were in Ronfaure. Same with Ronfaure, the lions share of fish you hook will be the non-Shining Trout, in this case Dark Bass. These cap at 33, however, with the Shining Trouts capping much higher (Though as I said, I'm not positive what level.)

It depends entirely on what your priority is... Skilling up whilst making a bit of pockey money, making good money or skilling up to become a higher level.

Nebimonites just weren't worth it, though. They really weren't.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-10 21:44:10
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I've tried Salmon, didn't have any troubles with it. I tried ferry, bite rate was almost non-existant. The constant boarding and unboarding was annoying.

I stopped fishing Salmon because of the profit issue, gil is hard to come by for me and one of the reasons I choose Nebi's is because of the gil potential. I plan on getting Lu Shang's, and the gil earned by Nebi's will help me on my way to purchasing it.

In the long term it'd be better to earn gil the entire way so when I get to the point where I need Lu Shang's, I'll have it ready.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-10 22:34:48

GM call was less then helpful. In the end I was suggested to contact other players on random forums, run a file check to ensure the game is working properly, and to wait longer. (In reference to the fatigue)

Considering the fact I've done nearly 0 fishing in the past three days, and I've had no trouble fishing anywhere outside of SSG, the last suggestion wasn't all that helpful. Still, I agreed and told him I would wait til after the conquest update. (Even though the last conquest update was approximately 4 hours prior to the onset of this problem)

Meh.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Serveur: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-02-10 23:01:25
Link | Citer | R

I am going to assume that you prefer the Nebimonites to anything else, but my suggestions to you.

I am currently a lv 48 fisher, I got around the nebimonites by Halycon + Shrimp Lure and hitting Qufim Island's beaches. The Tiger Cod and Nosteau Herrings, with a little cooking skill, can NPC for 300-400 gil per fish and cap at 29 and 39 respectively. They hook in spurts, you'll get them nonstop, then nothing for about 5-10 minutes, then slam them again. Hope this helps with the fishing dilemma, but if your adamant on Nebi's... Crayfish paste and a Halycon, try not to get eaten by mobs, and good luck!

(P.S. Personally, I think I averaged about 3-5 nebimonite on the ship per run, monster bite rates suck)

Don't know if you have viewed this site before, but I find it very useful.

http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en
 Siren.Sinneloa
Serveur: Siren
user: Sinneloa
By Siren.Sinneloa 2009-02-18 15:43:03
Link | Citer | R

Aptly put this way. FFXI tries to mimic what real life fishing is like. I use to go out on a bass boat and be fortunate enough to hook 3 in an hours time. Given game situation a virus or bug could affect any part of the game at any time. I was fishing Crescent Fish and was fortunate to land 3 in 30 minutes but at the same time fishing Bladefish turned up anywhere from 3 in 10 minutes to none in an hour. It seems its just the way it is. Remember the changes which have just been implemented now to. Below lvl 20 of your character you will tire out quicker and the 200 limit before fatigue sets in which has been in place for a lot longer now.
 Bahamut.Hatekhaos
Serveur: Bahamut
user: hatekhaos
By Bahamut.Hatekhaos 2009-03-07 21:50:21
Link | Citer | R

The moon does have soemthing to do with fish bites- I fished once with a pelican ring running at the end of the night i had .3 skillup total. Two days ago i was fishing and had some nice skillups went up 2 lvls actually using pelican ring- i checked and it was a full moon. Also when an area is overfished the bite rate changes.
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-03-07 22:07:28
Link | Citer | R

Shrimp Lure + Halcyon rod in SSG on nebs. Don't stand anywhere near under the bridge. Stand out in the open areas surrounding the lake. I easily fish 2-3 stacks of nebs an hour on a bad day.