Forum » FFXI » General » Stats capping generally around 50
Stats capping generally around 50
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-10 16:17:30
Link | Citer | R

Stats, as in STR/VIT/DEX/AGI/MND/INT/CHR, all have a "hard cap" of around 50, right? I haven't been able to find any hard evidence of this; I've only heard this through word of mouth, mostly. Can anyone confirm?

-edit- word usage
 Bahamut.Kelia
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-02-10 17:12:18
Link | Citer | R

cap for what?

clarification please
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-10 17:39:37
Link | Citer | R

Assuming you mean they cap at +50~, definitely not. Most SAMs WS in a lot more than that :p
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-10 20:48:11
Link | Citer | R

Oh, hey Raenryong, you responded to my other thread in FFXIclopedia.org^^

I'm talking about stats added by gear, mostly. Using Raen's example, macroing in STR+ gear: is there a hard cap to how much STR+ gear you can macro in?

-edit- word usage
 Shiva.Tigris
Serveur: Shiva
user: Bour
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-10 20:57:35
Link | Citer | R

On my SAM, I have 65+66 STR, and I notice every little bit in WS damage every time I add a new piece to raise the stat by more. I don't think there is a ceiling on a stat... and what you're thinking of is a hard cap, not soft cap. An example of a soft cap would be what a combat skill caps at before merits/gear. Hard cap is the end-all maximum it can be.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-10 21:07:40
Link | Citer | R

Ahh, thanks Tigris! I'm obviously not too familiar with the terminology. ^^;; {Please forgive me.}~
 Bahamut.Neowrath
user: Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-02-10 21:33:38
Link | Citer | R

There is no "cap" for stats. It's all based on the weapon you're using and the mob you're fighting.

Specifically, for the purposes of WS STR builds, there is a point when STR does "less." STR affects two things for weapon skills - secondary mods (on a majority of WS) and fSTR (look up fSTR on Wiki). There IS a CAP to fSTR, so once you hit this number (which is specific to the weapon you're using) STR stops improving damage through fSTR increases. However, there is no such limitation on secondary mods. So, if you already capped your your fSTR, the next point of STR you add will only increase your damage through secondary mods, hence it's doing "less."

It's kinda hard to grasp if you're not familiar with terminology and the calculations for weapon skill damage. I'll elaborate if needed, but I suggest checking out Wiki first to gain a simple understanding of fSTR, weapon skill damage, and STR mods.
 Sylph.Decimus
Serveur: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-02-10 21:58:01
Link | Citer | R

Neowrath said:
Specifically, for the purposes of WS STR builds, there is a point when STR does "less." STR affects two things for weapon skills - secondary mods (on a majority of WS) and fSTR (look up fSTR on Wiki). There IS a CAP to fSTR, so once you hit this number (which is specific to the weapon you're using) STR stops improving damage through fSTR increases. However, there is no such limitation on secondary mods. So, if you already capped your your fSTR, the next point of STR you add will only increase your damage through secondary mods, hence it's doing "less."

So after fSTR is capped your damage increases at a decreasing rate with each additional point of STR.
 Bahamut.Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-02-10 22:13:53
Link | Citer | R

Decimus said:
Neowrath said:

So after fSTR is capped your damage increases at a decreasing rate with each additional point of STR.

Yes.

To simplify, STR usually packs two punches for the price of one, through fSTR and WSC (WS modifiers). Once fSTR is capped, any additional STR only packs one punch (through WSC).
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-10 22:14:02
Link | Citer | R

As stated above;

fSTR - caps. Higher DMG = higher cap (though ironically, the LOWER your DMG the more each point of fSTR adds to your damage relatively).
WSC(weaponskill mod) - NEVER caps. Ever. This is why SAMs would see constant (dramatic in their case) improvement even if they added +5000 STR.

So if you're adding STR to a WS, if it has a STR mod you will never stop getting benefits from STR (though they will decrease). If it does not, it will stop adding as soon as you reach fSTR's cap.

Any other modded stats, no cap.

That's it for melee weaponskill etc, if you're looking at other stats for other things like MND for Stoneskin, that's a different matter.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-10 22:38:29
Link | Citer | R

Raenryong said:
if you're looking at other stats for other things like MND for Stoneskin, that's a different matter.

Hehe, that's one of the things I'm going after, actually. I know of the Stoneskin cap, but there's also the MND modifier for Chivalry that I'm interested in.
 Bahamut.Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-02-10 23:06:00
Link | Citer | R

Chivalry has no MND cap, soft or hard. Although, it would be pointless to stack on a bunch of MND when you can only get back as much MP as your current Max MP dictates. Wiki has the formula, so it wouldn't be too difficult to figure how much MND and/or TP you would need to completely refill your MP.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-11 00:38:38
Link | Citer | R

Cool beans :D So in general, only STR has a cap (at a certain point) when determining WS damage?
 Bahamut.Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-02-11 15:59:42
Link | Citer | R

fSTR has a cap, STR mods for WS do not. Here's an example for your PLD in a meripo against Greater Colibri (GC VIT = 67)...

Excalibur Main Hand

fSTR cap = 13
STR you'd need to cap fSTR = 115 ((Your STR - Mob's VIT + 4) / 4, formula on Wiki)
WSC cap = a million bajillion
STR you'd need to cap WSC = a million bajillion

Joytoy Main Hand

fSTR cap = 11
STR you'd need to cap fSTR = 107
WSC cap = a million bajillion
STR you'd need to cap WSC = a million bajillion

For the Excalibur example, once you have 115 STR you will no longer get damage increases through fSTR. However, you can keep adding STR and the WSC will keep adding damage. For Joytoy, once you have 107 STR, fSTR is capped and stops adding more damage. But, once again, you can keep adding STR and the WSC will keep adding damage as you approach a million bajillion STR.

The "STR you'd need to cap fSTR" values are unique to Greater Colibri only. If you're fighting an EM you'd need much less STR to cap your fSTR value, if you're fighting HNMs you'll need much more. Get it?

All other stats are used for WSC damage only (for normal physical weaponskills) and have no cap (just like STR WSC).
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-11 17:45:23
Link | Citer | R

Thanks guys, this helped a lot^^