FFXI Race doesnt matter
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-10 11:10:00
Link | Citer | R

Yukihoshi said:
. Plus, you have to look at the bigger picture - in an 18-man event, if everyone has +2 more accuracy (for this example), your group as a whole has 36 more accuracy vs. a group that is in all NQ gear. The bonuses of multiple people having HQ gear definitly stacks up when you're doing harder content.

Typical example where "very good HQ" are kinda useless :/ Difference is way less important when you're doing huge event with full alliance or 2 alliances (Dynamis / 18 players Limbus / Sea and Sky with 18++ / ZNM T4 with 18++ etc...) than when you're doing something low man, solo/duo/trio, half alliance dynamis xar etc...

On first case, you have enough players anyway, so you'll always succeed, unless your group really sux. On second case, when you can only rely on yourself or a very small group of players, mistake ain't an option and could cost you the win. That's where pretty good stuff comes in handy.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-02-10 11:12:59
Link | Citer | R

ahh if only everyone only sold things for 100 gill then everyone could afford it all and the world would be good :D . ahh for the days when gigas droped 800 gill...

bigest stat diff far races seem be hp/mp ratios
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-02-10 11:14:48
Link | Citer | R

btw anyone ever notice how SE keeps gimping how much things sell to npcs for and how often they drop , but they never lower the price of things the npcs sell (500k for a spell or mid level gk come on..)
 Valefor.Poetry
Serveur: Valefor
user: Poetry
By Valefor.Poetry 2009-02-10 11:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Memimi said:
Kleric said:
Monsterrain said:
tell me why ppl charge a ton more +1 items........ why is the difference between 1...uno...one...eins...Str ring 10k-500k.Back to the original question...why buy a ring or piece of equipment that gives an extra 1...ONE stat when another race prolly has a good 5-9 more of that stat inherently for half a mill - millions?

Answer = epeen+1

Actually, some of us just like to have the best gear we can afford. I always try my best to farm to get the best possible items for my level. It's not so I can show off, it's so I can be the best I can be. ^^

This.
 Titan.Azarasi
Serveur: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-02-10 11:36:47
Link | Citer | R

I think race does play a factor in what gear you buy, well its not a matter of it might it DOES. I am elvaan and I stack int when I cant, I never need to do anything with mnd since it is so strong natively and every now and then it shows when paralyze kicks a mobs ***.

Same can be said about the low dex, My accuracy can be uder crap sometimes cause of it, that is why I stack dex and accuracy gear for any DD job I am leveling more so then str.
 Bahamut.Pjohn
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-02-10 11:44:41
Link | Citer | R

+1 gear is worth it if you are trying to get the most out of your job.

If i have 1 +1 item big deal i got +1 str,int or any other stat.

Now if i have 5 or more +1 items then i have +5 or better (insert your stat here). With 5 or more added to any stat i am sure you'll out do anyone with NQ gear with similar merits.

race does matter Elvaan > all ^^
 Asura.Yotevol
Serveur: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-02-10 11:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Does race make a difference?
No.
Initially, maybe a bit.
But seriously, this is the marathon of MMORPGs. Not for the feint of heart.
If anyone stays to 75, I've seen Taru SAMs out DD Elvaan SAMs, I've seen Elvaan BLMs out nuke Taru BLMs.

My favorite part of this game, you can't be a racist (lol).
Look at Minidragon, 7 relics as a Taru, and most were melee.
Although, he's banned now for cheating, but that's not the point.
He was Taru and did exceptional things as a melee.

So, pick whatever race YOU like and level whatever job YOU want to.
The person makes the character, the character doesn't make the person.

~Yote
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 11:50:47
Link | Citer | R

I agree, gear can matter really even if its a +1.

Look at INT, from what i know +2 INT = 1 MAB (correct me if im wrong) same as for all the stats. If you have a person geared with nq items like +1 int, and the the HQ gives u +2 int, thats whr the calculating of +2 int = 1 MAB.

So yes it can matter especially if its a race that is low on int.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-10 12:09:51
Link | Citer | R

Race does matter... Mithra or GTFO :)

Playful, sexy, unique... What more could you want in your Final Fantasy XI character?

Though in all seriousness, I agree with the multiple people classifying skill as a more important attribute to playing jobs than somebody's race. One of the best Red Mages I know is a Galka, they outperform Tarutaru Red Mages all the time. It's down to their experience and playing style, which is really much better than most people I know.

There are obvious advantages to each race, but I wouldn't say it affects what jobs you can, can't, should or shouldn't level.
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-10 12:11:17
Link | Citer | R

Well, yeah, I mean obviously +1 gear is going to be better for any given stat, but really, what is one extra MND gonna do? Or one extra STR? One extra DEX? I'm not talking at 75, when you're just trying to push beyond the "limit", I mean when leveling a given job.

As an Elvaan, when I was playing BLM (not for a while) it was drilled in my head to stack INT gear as much as possible since our INT sucks so bad...but outside of a few pieces I always went +MP. In my opinion, it was better to have a large MP pool and be able to cast a lot then to land ONE spell for an extra 5 damage...
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-10 12:26:01
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
I agree, gear can matter really even if its a +1.

Look at INT, from what i know +2 INT = 1 MAB (correct me if im wrong) same as for all the stats. If you have a person geared with nq items like +1 int, and the the HQ gives u +2 int, thats whr the calculating of +2 int = 1 MAB.

So yes it can matter especially if its a race that is low on int.

No formula like x INT = y MaB exists. Well like I said here.

INT also helps for accuracy, it's not always about damage. When you get resisted a lot, if you nuke HNMs a lot, having a decent INT (and Ele skill and MaCC) is more important than MaB actually. Since MaB's just a multiplier. Multiplying damage amount of a resisted spell is worthless.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 12:33:58
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Well, yeah, I mean obviously +1 gear is going to be better for any given stat, but really, what is one extra MND gonna do? Or one extra STR? One extra DEX?

Well actually more mind help stick certain spells so a race with less mind would want more mind imo. they can be a skilled player but how is their paralyze gonna stick? think of it. It's the same as the calculation I gave

------------------------------
Think of AGI:

From Wiki: Abbreviation: AGI

A stat that is compared with an attacker's dexterity to determine the likelihood that the enemy's blow will be a critical. Agility also has a direct impact on a character's evasion and ranged accuracy stats, and is speculated to have an impact on shield, Guard, parrying stats.

In addition, Agility plays a significant role in determining the damage caused by Trick Attack when used by a Thief.

Agility determines the accuracy of a Corsair's Quick Draw.
------------------------------
Shoot I'm a mithra and I LOVE my DEX but since mithra has so much dex i can stack more other stats to help with accuracy etc.

I understand ya at low level thrs not much you can do with stats but get more MP in a mage job but doesnt mean a few more stats wouldnt help land spells or atk.

I know some ppl see a difference when your low lvl and killing a mob without food, then when you eat a food that gives +5 str, your hits change.

Race does and doesnt always play a factor but it is how you play the game.

This is all my opinion.
 Gilgamesh.Joltx
user: Joltx
By Gilgamesh.Joltx 2009-02-10 12:37:22
Link | Citer | R

how is it you always here but never in game? leaving your virtual family stinkin....le /sigh -_-
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 12:38:55
Link | Citer | R

Joltx said:
how is it you always here but never in game? le /sigh -_-

lmao shush jolt cause I got school and work so I can't play evvveryday lol
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-10 12:41:05
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:

Well actually more mind help stick certain spells so a race with less mind would want more mind imo. they can be a skilled player but how is their paralyze gonna stick? think of it. It's the same as the calculation I gave

Everyone wants more MND cause it especially helps for debuff potency (when debuff is mnd based off course). Resistance is another issue. MND is supposed to helps a bit, like INT does for nukes. But you'll need more Enfeebling Magic and MaCC for that. On most of mobs, debuff will sticks, however you'll feel the difference between a Paralyze casted with someone having low MND and very high MND. Effectiveness (=proc rate) is completely different.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 12:46:08
Link | Citer | R

Yea but there isnt much a low lvl player can get for enfeebling just capping their skill of course. Some stats help that effectiveness is what im saying so its not only bout race, gear can help with someoen low of a stat, skill whatever. High lvl player sure, merits help etc. but doesnt mean their race has anything to do with it imo.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-02-10 13:34:00
Link | Citer | R

Monsterrain said:
If you knew the mechanics of the game when you 1st started playing would you be the same race?

Yes, because I <3 kitty butt.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-10 13:50:31
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I get that having extra mind helps with potency and such, but I'm saying as a new player, asking "What race should I be?", the common answer is "Whatever you want...", and I agree with that 100%. A Taru BLm is obviously going to have an advantage over and Elvaan BLM in that their races base stats lean more towards that job, but as everyone is aware, it's not anything that can't be gotten around...and that is why I also feel the way I do about some of the +1/HQ gears out there. Just eating the proper food can go a long way towards negating some of those "deficiencies"...and the nice thing about it is it's a lot cheaper and easier to change up what you're eating then buying a whole bunch of gear and doing equipment swaps and all that.

As an Elvaan DD, I tend to eat +ACC food because Elvaan accuracy blows ***...but I tend to start a fight before I eat anything to see if I need it or not. If I am reasonably landing my hits I go for +STR to add to my damage output...

At any rate, I know a lot of people like having their +1 gear and all that, and if they're willing to spend the money to get that extra point of <insert stat here> more power to them...but imo small bonuses like that will never make or break any given job, or have a huge impact. Like I said, when you're 75 and meriting and all that jazz, then I can see the reason why people wanna go all out and have the absolute best ***they can get for any given thing because they've already hit that wall...their stats are never going to go beyond the base unless they do. But from 1-74, I don't see the need. Unless it's a piece that you KNOW you're going to be wearing at 75 with full merits, save the money now...

Besides, new players should be focusing on how to play the game, not agonizing over what race they picked and how it compliments whatever job they're taking up. I mean, how many people here started leveling one particular job and then decided part way through "meh, I think I'm gonna try something different?" I know I did...
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-10 13:53:14
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
Yea but there isnt much a low lvl player can get for enfeebling just capping their skill of course.

Well I don't really care about what's happen between 1 and 74 really. Like most of players I guess.

We were able to level decently years ago, now leveling is even easier so stats don't really matter. Reaching 75 is a piece of cake, especially if it's not your first character. Everything's been nerfed. Both race and equip don't matter when you just leveling... Some don't even have their AF1 till level70, BLM with 1-2 staves etc..., who cares, at worst your exp/h ratio is lower. Still you will eventually be 75. If you a bit gimp in a 6 players party, provided that the 5 others are decent, everything's ok. If you a Elvaan blm, and suck MP and INT wise, this won't change anything for exping.

However the day you'll be the only BLM in a low man event, this could be a problem.

I still don't believe that race matters, a well equipped/merited and played Elvaan BLM will always be better than a Tarutaru nuking in gaiters or using Earth Staff for Stoneskin...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 14:06:55
Link | Citer | R

I agree I do tend to forget about the whole new level syncing thing that makes leveling easier. I miss the old style, it helped you learn the job the way you should. Now its just throw on some lvl 10 gear and stay in dunes or qufim to 75...

This makes me wanna cry :(
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-10 14:08:42
Link | Citer | R

Awww...
/comfort
There, there.

That's why I put a level minimum on my search comment for sync... >.>

That and I don't like carrying around gear 30+ levels below my character's level... >.>
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-10 14:16:21
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
Now its just throw on some lvl 10 gear and stay in dunes or qufim to 75...

If anyone really does that, they're gonna have a great time skilling up their weapon and magic skills...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-10 14:30:29
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Alyria said:
Now its just throw on some lvl 10 gear and stay in dunes or qufim to 75...
If anyone really does that, they're gonna have a great time skilling up their weapon and magic skills...

You'd be surprised how many have done that. there was a thread about using qufim for bard level syncing all the way to 75....was a huge discussion about the skills etc. But I think ppl do it just to get to maat's cap imo.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-10 14:59:45
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
You'd be surprised how many have done that. there was a thread about using qufim for bard level syncing all the way to 75....was a huge discussion about the skills etc. But I think ppl do it just to get to maat's cap imo.

I dunno, I mean, I thought about doing that back when Level Sync was first introduced, but with how much of a pain in the *** it's been for me to skill up clubs and staves with my WHM (I'm still like 60 levels below cap) there's no way in hell I'd ever let it get that far behind again...
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-10 15:10:55
Link | Citer | R

I dunno... Once ya hit 74/75 and can go out solo'ing easily... It's not that hard to skill anything up, even weapons.

And then of course, there's Besieged for just about anything magical that can't be skilled up on Hpemdes. >.>
 Shiva.Karldagreat
Serveur: Shiva
user: BonezzZ
By Shiva.Karldagreat 2009-02-10 16:04:23
Link | Citer | R

LOL im sure this thread was about 'does race make a difference' which tbh doesnt make that much difference =D i r GALKA(ftmfw) but when it comes down to it i know i could be a mage job, even with less mp, INT, MND or w/e and still be a better mage than many ive had moaning at me about asking for haste... If your the person who believes it does make such a difference then i would say its because u cant adapt to each job and have the right gear and understanding of it to still be succesful.

Last thing i dunno about other servers but most of the best geared back line jobs i see others have turn out to be galka, its like if they suck so bad why would people allow them be geared to the best?
 Asura.Farmdog
user: Farmdog
By Asura.Farmdog 2009-02-10 16:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
how many people here started leveling one particular job and then decided part way through "meh, I think I'm gonna try something different?" I know I did...

Yep at first, after getting WAR to 30 it was lolDRK for me. Took it to 60 then said F it.

Nice post #2, I had to respond to this part since it could almost be a whole seperate thread.
 Shiva.Tigris
Serveur: Shiva
user: Bour
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-10 16:10:17
Link | Citer | R

People talk about differences in end-game content, but I really don't see it. I keep my Mithra SAM in full STR gear almost 100% of the time, and never have issues landing hits. I have +20 DEX and +20 Acc, and GK merited 6/8. I've done all Dynamis (including DL, fragments, tests, etc..), Salvage, Einherjar Wings 1-3, Sky (only trouble I have is Byakko, to which I just pop a sushi to counter his high evasion), and plenty of HNM Nyzul Isle, and a few world HNMs. I have NEVER had an issue connecting hits, so to me, saying that extra 1 or 2 acc is worthless. That doesn't apply to me, and more than likely doesn't apply to most people since I know my SAM has adequate gear, at best. Just because a mob is meant to be taken down with 20+ people, doesn't mean it has insane evasion or defense, just a ton of HP. There's a difference. But let's get back to the topic at hand... the only factor race has, to me, is what gear you choose. Example: I'm a Mithra, so I dedicate much less gear to accuracy than an Elvaan or Galka would since my base DEX is significantly higher. Because of that, I need to use more gear for STR, where Mithra lacks (Only 67 base as 75SAM/WAR). But the fun part: I've outdamage Elvaan SAM's with more STR than I have, and I'm /NIN. People don't want to learn to play a job correctly, so they lose the skill aspect of being a good player. Any knowledgable player will confirm, skill is twice as important as gear and race combined.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-10 16:11:22
Link | Citer | R

Yeah... I was going to be Monk first... Then got talked into Summoner...

Then finally switched and got Monk to 75 after of course I got Nin to 61 thinking I was going to take it to 75 and got my Suppanomimi... >.< I want my Bushinomimi.... ;.;
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-12 17:30:18
Link | Citer | R

I don't agree with anyone who is claiming that there is some form of "skill" factor to ffxi. Its not skill, all you have to do is know when to change gears, push WS macro button, change back to TP gears. Thats skill?

Gimme a *** break, player skill factoring into dmg somehow lol..