users online
Forum » FFXI » General » aura steal and steal + gear
aura steal and steal + gear
 Remora.Banefulwraith
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
By Remora.Banefulwraith 2009-02-09 05:34:22
Link | Citer | R

my question is, is aura steal effected by steal + gear? how much? and why does aura steal always steal a buff and never let me steal a goldcoin.... gets really annoying( ok that was more of a rant than question)
 Fairy.Conchita
Serveur: Fairy
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2009-02-09 05:42:55
Link | Citer | R

I didn't merit aura steal yet, because I thought it was lame to steal buff instead of item, BUT when I asked people how it worked they said it only steals buff if you failed to steal item. So supposedly it's item > buff in order of steal priority. Maybe you just fail to steal item D:
 Remora.Banefulwraith
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Banefulwraith 2009-02-09 05:53:00
Link | Citer | R

i believe it always grabs buff if its up... nvm stole a item while enemy is buffed... but anyways in terms of steal + gear... would it make my chance on aura steal greater? or just kinda doesnt matter. cuz you always debuff the mob
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-09 06:35:36
Link | Citer | R

Conchita said:
I didn't merit aura steal yet, because I thought it was lame to steal buff instead of item

Depending on the mob, it's sometimes more beneficial to steal a buff over an item..

Example:
Charybdis, Hard Membrane (Evasion Boost). While chary is generally tanked by piling on EVA to dodge it's high attack rate, the +EVA you get from stealing Membrane would probably do you more good, than anything you'd steal from it.

Serket, Sharp Strike (50% Attack Bonus). A NM that has a hyper timer, the increase of 50% attack (I understand most THF have something like 350-400ATT at 75? I could be wrong) can give somewhere in the region of +150-200ATT, this also lasts for 4min approx, so a good long lasting buff too.

Just a couple of examples where I'd personally rather have Aura Steal than stealing an Item. (My THF only 37 >.> but yeah..)
 Fairy.Conchita
Serveur: Fairy
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2009-02-09 06:52:25
Link | Citer | R

Your examples fail tho cuz there is actually nothing you can steal from them, so it's a guaranteed Aura steal D: (unless wiki wrong). I get your idea tho. Only time I steal alot is in Dynamis and it's def not worth stealing a buff in there.
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2009-02-09 07:15:52
Link | Citer | R

On Aura steal. Steal+ is gonna do nothing, it's a fixed rate based on your merits (20%, 40%, etc.) Also the dispel effect is 100% even if you don't get it. So everything should have this at level 1 no question.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-09 07:33:26
Link | Citer | R

I was aiming more for examples where stealing Buffs would be better than stealing any item off the NM, whether an item is stealable or not.
 Bahamut.Cyr
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-09 11:13:30
Link | Citer | R

Banefulwraith said:
my question is, is aura steal effected by steal + gear? how much? and why does aura steal always steal a buff and never let me steal a goldcoin.... gets really annoying( ok that was more of a rant than question)

Aura steal will always give priority to items, if the mob has something stealable. If you fail to steal said item, then aura steal procs.

So, its not as you say "not letting you steal a goldcoin," you are just failing at stealing the goldcoins.
 Fenrir.Rrylia
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Devinry
By Fenrir.Rrylia 2009-02-09 12:25:03
Link | Citer | R

Just to clarify, Aura Steal is not a 100% dispel. You can fail to steal (either items or buff, therefore, no dispel), dispel but fail to steal, or dispel and steal.

The message in the log is different, ie. "Rrylia uses steal - the Lamia's blaze spikes effect wears off" or "Rrylia uses steal - Rrylia steals the effect of blaze spikes from the Lamia" (ad-libbed a bit, but the idea is there).

Try it in Salvage if you want to test XD
 Siren.Delirium
Serveur: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-09 13:24:51
Link | Citer | R

Rrylia said:
Just to clarify, Aura Steal is not a 100% dispel. You can fail to steal (either items or buff, therefore, no dispel), dispel but fail to steal, or dispel and steal.

The message in the log is different, ie. "Rrylia uses steal - the Lamia's blaze spikes effect wears off" or "Rrylia uses steal - Rrylia steals the effect of blaze spikes from the Lamia" (ad-libbed a bit, but the idea is there).

Try it in Salvage if you want to test XD

the ONLY time ive not dispelled is when ive stolen an item OR when the mob had no buff. dispell is 100% proc.
 Fenrir.Rrylia
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Devinry
By Fenrir.Rrylia 2009-02-09 13:29:42
Link | Citer | R

"wiki" said:
The dispel effect can miss, although its accuracy is very high.

Thats right :)
 Bahamut.Lyle
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-02-09 16:38:23
Link | Citer | R

Rrylia said:
"wiki" said:
The dispel effect can miss, although its accuracy is very high.

Thats right :)

This is true. It makes a check to see if mob has anything to steal, if it does and miss or no items to steal then moves on to buffs, which is almost 100% on most mobs, however, some mobs have steal resistance, as if you try to steal items from certian job class mobs than others.
 Midgardsormr.Shevien
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Shevien
By Midgardsormr.Shevien 2009-02-09 17:32:58
Link | Citer | R

Although the issue of what order it takes item vs. buff was addressed and the fact that Aura Steal doesn't make you miss stealing the item. Steal+ effect on Aura Steal was not addressed, although at this point may be obvious. I could be wrong but from what I see in it's description on the Wiki and the posts here, Steal takes priority over Aura Steal. So therefore your Steal+ would essentially lessen the chance of an Aura Steal by however much the Steal+ boost's your job ability Steal.
 Bahamut.Lyle
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-02-09 17:44:18
Link | Citer | R

Yes, by increasing the chances of steal you are lessening the chances of stealing a buff if the mob you are stealing from has a stealable item.