Free File Hosting; Alternatives To Youtube...suggestions?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Free file hosting; alternatives to youtube...suggestions?
Free file hosting; alternatives to youtube...suggestions?
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 12:16:43
Link | Citer | R

Long story short, I'm getting sick of Youtube muting the audio in my videos (yeah I know copyrighted music blah blah as if my using a freaking Coal Chamber song in a FFXI vid costs the label ANY FREAKING MONEY or lost sales but anyways...)

So, due to raw fraps videos being huge, I can't store them locally...at least not yet (hoping to get bigger HD, but will be a while prolly). After editing with Windows Movie Maker and exporting I delete the raw file (after waiting to see if Youtube is gonna throw a fit after I upload). Problem is Youtube is now muting audio on vids I uploaded months ago, so the raw file is long gone, meaning I can't redo the vid with a different audio track (unless I want the quality to be complete ***, which I don't).

Anyways, I would like to find somewhere online I could store the raw vids if I need them at a later date; it would have to be somewhere that allows files over 1GB that I can prevent from autodeleting after a set amount of time (I host the edited videos on filefront for downloading but they max out at a gig...)

And, if anyone has a suggestion for a youtube alternative that isn't gonna mute my audio, that has support for embedded players (for my ffxi blog) I would be much appreciative!
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-08 13:30:15
Link | Citer | R

I don't know why you decide to wait, i assume its money, but external HD's can be really cheap. I seen an external terabyte HD for less then $100. You could get like a 200gig for maybe 40 bucks. My guess is any site that would allow you to store like that would charge you.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 14:19:00
Link | Citer | R

Tavlov said:
I don't know why you decide to wait, i assume its money, but external HD's can be really cheap. I seen an external terabyte HD for less then $100. You could get like a 200gig for maybe 40 bucks. My guess is any site that would allow you to store like that would charge you.

I'm waiting cause I'm poor right now lol...

Actually, part of the reason I'm waiting is because I want to get a couple 500 GB SATA drives and RAID them...I've only got a 300GB IDE hdd in my main PC, and I'm gonna be buying the new HDs for my new build, when I can afford to get them.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2009-02-08 14:39:49
Link | Citer | R

putfile.com
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-08 18:27:46
Link | Citer | R

Wouldnt most file saving sites charge you. I've never used one, but i cant imagine a site not charging. That was my main point. Anyways, i hope you get some money soon ^^
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-08 19:01:21
Link | Citer | R

Most of website are charging yeah, if not, they usually delete your file after a long period of inactivity which means this wouldn't be good for storing video.

Don't even expect being able to upload RAW fraps files directly... Unless you have 100Mbit/s upload and have a premium membership on some filesharing website. (RS/MU/MF etc...) or rent a dedicated server. Online storage is a service that cost money, nobody is willing to give you free bandwidth & storage space, think about it.

Would cost less to get a 200GB drive than wasting tons of hours uploading your videos also.
 Titan.Xanakali
Serveur: Titan
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-02-08 19:03:50
Link | Citer | R

http://mashable.com/2007/08/09/gdrive/
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 19:49:08
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the info guys...like I said, I currently use filefront, which is free and doesn't delete (well, sorta...they send you an email if a file is soon to be deleted and allows you to renew it, haven't seen any type of limit to that yet), but they max out at a gig, and my average raw fraps vid is about 2 gigs or so...so I can only use that for the finished product that's been recoded.

Oh well, I guess I can just burn them to DVD-RW until I can get my new hardware.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-08 20:12:15
Link | Citer | R

Why don't you convert your video and store them after encoding ? Just encode in H.264 and store them that way :) Smaller filesize, faster uploading.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-08 21:05:17
Link | Citer | R

Tavlov said:
My guess is any site that would allow you to store like that would charge you.

Bingo!

You will never find a free site that offers you so much webspace. Who pays for it? The site isn't going to pay the hundreds of dollars to store your files for you. Any site that offers terabytes of "free" uploads are bluffing. Try uploading a terabyte to RapidShare and their "Uncapped Uploads" policy, even as a registered, paying member they won't let you.

I pay a lot every 1/4 for my web hosting. I get a lot of space and bandwidth out of it (won't give exact figures for obvious reasons), and I could never upload that much without any additional cost. Just can't work out in terms of cost to store such data. This is assuming your internet provider would let you simultaneously upload this much data as well, which I doubt they would.

"Unlimited" broadband is never unlimited, ever. Somebody has to pay for it, and it won't be the companies!

Somebody already mentioned this, but you're better off buying an external harddrive. If properly compressed like Antipika said above, you could store more than you'd think on a mid-range ($60~) ex-HDD. I bought one for £65 awhile back (about $90) which has 400gb of space. I design massive files in Photoshop for a living and I've not come close to capping my ex-HDD out.

If this is all jibberish to you then there's not much you can do except hope your PC can handle it :<

Edit: As for a YouTube alternative, there isn't one really. It sucks but it's the best atm :<
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 21:09:26
Link | Citer | R

Antipika said:
Why don't you convert your video and store them after encoding ? Just encode in H.264 and store them that way :) Smaller filesize, faster uploading.

I do, they're generally small (~100 MBs a piece). The problem is stupid youtube...in the past I knew when they were gonna hit me for copyright BS ('cause it would be like immediately after I upload), but one of my vids from months ago just got hit and they muted the audio. I still have the encoded file (the raw video is long gone, though, too big to leave on my HD)...but the only way I can replace the audio is to either use their Audio Swap (terribly broken and crap) or reimport to Windows Movie Maker and redo the audio, which will reduce the video quality further.

Wooooodum said:
Tavlov said:
My guess is any site that would allow you to store like that would charge you.

Bingo!

You will never find a free site that offers you so much webspace.

Well, I currently use Filefront, which serves my purpose well when it comes to storing the endcoded videos...the only problem is the maximum file size supported is 1GB, which won't work for the raw files. It'll automatically delete them after a certain amount of inactivity...but they send you an email with a link that easily allows you to remove it from their deletion queue. There may be an upper limit to how much total you can have on one account...but I haven't hit it yet, and if I do, I'll just create another acct.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-08 21:15:28
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Windows Movie Maker

That's your problem, not YouTube :P

This programme saves it under true quality anyway, they don't have the codecs to save videos in raw quality (meaning untouched). Saving files with WMM is like saving jpegs, each time it's saved quality is lost further.

WMM sucks, there's a lot better out there, even putting "Free Movie Editing Software" into Google will give you a better programme.

Adobe's Video Suite is what I use, but it costs a bomb (Get it free through work though, and it's REALLY awesome!) Might be able to *cough* "find" *cough* it somewhere though.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-08 21:16:41
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I still have the encoded file (the raw video is long gone, though, too big to leave on my HD)...but the only way I can replace the audio is to either use their Audio Swap (terribly broken and crap) or reimport to Windows Movie Maker and redo the audio, which will reduce the video quality further.

Still have the H.264 (or w/e codec you used, divx, xvid, etc...) encoded file ? If yes just use virtualdub to replace audio track then, really quick and easy. This will not affect the video quality in any way.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 21:23:59
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Windows Movie Maker

That's your problem, not YouTube :P

This programme saves it under true quality anyway, they don't have the codecs to save videos in raw quality (meaning untouched). Saving files with WMM is like saving jpegs, each time it's saved quality is lost further.

WMM sucks, there's a lot better out there, even putting "Free Movie Editing Software" into Google will give you a better programme.

Adobe's Video Suite is what I use, but it costs a bomb (Get it free through work though, and it's REALLY awesome!) Might be able to *cough* "find" *cough* it somewhere though.

I like WMM for it's simplicity...I got a copy of Pinnacle Studio from a friend recently with a TON of the plugins and such, and it was ridiculously hard to use. I used to have a copy of Adobe Premiere as well, but had the same problem with it (granted it's been years). With WMM I can import the video and audio, edit it, and have it exported in like 20 minutes...I spent 2 hours with Pinnacle Studio just trying to get the freaking title card to behave correctly...

Antipika said:
Still have the H.264 (or w/e coded you used, divx, xvid, etc...) encoded file ? Just use virtualdub to replace audio track then, really quick and easy. This will not affect the video quality in any way.

I never thought about that, I have a copy of virtualdub I picked up along the way...I'll give that a shot ^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-08 21:26:41
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I like WMM for it's simplicity...I got a copy of Pinnacle Studio from a friend recently with a TON of the plugins and such, and it was ridiculously hard to use. I used to have a copy of Adobe Premiere as well, but had the same problem with it (granted it's been years).

It is simple, but remember "you get what you pay for". Using simple programmes make the end quality much lower. WMM saves files without encoding them 99/100, unless you specifically specify the codecs (as files on your desktop / folder or wherever too, wtf?).

Even if you make the project in WMM and then import into Premiere or Vegas (they're both great), quality will be 100 times that of WMM. The problem with WMM is how it saves files :< It automatically compresses, and doesn't let you specific compression settings. The longer the video in length, the worse the quality. This isn't a problem with Adobe for example.

Not having a go or anything, but not using WMM would stop your problem happening again in the future ^^

(I uninstalled WMM when I got Premiere, it's just a waste of memory after that ;p)
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-08 21:28:26
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I never thought about that, I have a copy of virtualdub I picked up along the way...I'll give that a shot ^^

Vdub won't touch the video stream and only replace the audio stream so yeah try that :) As for video editing, you should try Sony Vegas, not as "easy" as WMM, but very good video editing software, and less complicated than Adobe Premiere.

You'll find tons of resources online, tutorials explaining how to do basics things like slow motion, picture-in-picture, zooming, etc... All these things are pretty nice for MMOs videos.