Leveling Another Job.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Leveling another job.
Leveling another job.
First Page 2
 Remora.Caligo
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Caligo
By Remora.Caligo 2009-02-08 12:14:03
Link | Citer | R

Hai.

Had WAR 75 for ages now but it's not exactly a useful job. Am wondering on thoughts for another job to level. I know about what jobs you enjoy, so I'm torn between:

BLM 1.
SAM 1.
RDM 1.
BST 7.
DRK 1.
COR 1.

Don't mind my starting at any level really. Also thinking about BRD but I kinda still want to use WAR at endgame lol. DRK seems good to, but only really useful with zerg setup?

COR looks really fun, but expensive too.

If it makes anys difference, I have sky, but not sea yet.

People with experience leveling those jobs, which were good invite rates, relativley cheap to gear and fun yet not too stressful to play?
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-08 12:18:10
Link | Citer | R

You race would help.

If Taru Go with blm.

Whats ur racE?
 Cerberus.Saiya
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-08 12:20:36
Link | Citer | R

Of all of those jobs, if you like your Melee vein... i'd suggest Samurai^^.

At various points the job doesn't disappoint, very fun to play but with enough perks to make it interesting. Is a very reliably potent DD from lvl 10-75 (Especially at 75 XD).
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-08 12:25:13
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I tend to see a lot of SAM's running around partying and such on Fairy, so must be a pretty popular job...

Haven't gotten it past 21 myself, but that's definitely a future goal of mine, at least after I get DNC and WHM to 75 lol
 Seraph.Kep
Serveur: Seraph
user: Kepnerd1
By Seraph.Kep 2009-02-08 12:36:40
Link | Citer | R

All depends on what U want to do with your ffxi time. Do you wanna do a lot of meriting? If so Bard or Sam. Do you wanna do a lot of end game? If so DRK, RDM, SAM, or BLM.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-08 12:37:49
Link | Citer | R

Omg I love SAM at the moment! It's pretty fun at 50 and it's only going to get better, invite rates arnt all that bad either, although depends how many other SAMs are on at the time.

Blm was a pain getting to 75, its good fun nuking things with AM, depends how much you like solo though.

Rdm you can get away with not spending too much on, just mp rings really where most of your money will go if you get serket, but you can live without it really and invite rates will soar after lvl 40 plus its useful for practically most endgame situations.

Been a while since I leveled DRK, but soul eater was fun to play around with, and a few friends who are leveling it say the invite rate is really poor, especially past lvl 50.

I'd suggest SAM personally, COR,BRD,RDM are probably the quickest to 75, all depends on your prefered play style.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-08 12:56:59
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I'm far too biased and indecisive to be of any help picking what job you should level next, so i'm just gonna give some insight on all of them from my experiences and see if that helps shine some light to make the decision on your own.

SAM is a great, fun, fast paced DD job, unfortunately it seems to be bandwagoned and bastardized alot, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the great job that it is. This will quickly land you a spot in virtually any exp/merit pt or endgame LS if you aren't in one already.

DRK is quite fun, but requires alot of patience. I'm only at level 43 but nothing is more satisfying than taking out big chunks of the mob's HP at a time. If you got the will and patience, give DRK a shot. If it's dishing out dmg you like, then you'll love this, especially if you wanna mix it up with some magic.

BST I haven't gotten that far into, but i'm quickly getting addicted to all the things it can do and get away with. They are fairly decent DDs when combined with pets (yes I pt with BSTs sometimes), and their solo / farming capacity is unmatched. Definately worth looking into.

COR is by far one of my favorite jobs. A fun and stylized hybrid of DD and support. People drool over these in parties almost as much as bards, and the multiple roles you can play as support, DD and puller never makes it a dull moment. My only gripe is it's lack of solo capacity, it's pretty much made to work with other people but if you got friends and an LS to be with all the time, COR will be up your alley.

I never got much into mages unfortunately, I retired my 63 RDM due to it's repeating routine and nature of exp parties (haste and cure ***). However, it's overall utility the endgame scene seems fun if you wanna delve in magic.

If dishing out damage runs through your DNA then try BLM if you got the patience to solo and manaburn post 50.

Hope this helps, and good luck choosing!
 Remora.Caligo
By Remora.Caligo 2009-02-08 14:00:32
Link | Citer | R

:D Thanks for replies^^

Sorry late to read, was at ZNM event.

Race is Elvaan if that matters anymore. I'm definatly looking into Corsair more and more. SAM & DRK do seem alot like taking WAR to 75 all over again. Swing at mob,stick JA's up, WS, repeat.

With COR it seems like the invite rates would be insane, wouldn't be too expensive since it's one of those jobs with useful AF and shares some equip with other fairly cheap slots that won't gimp me.

Is it expeceted for COR to pull in a party? Is it hard to Pull, Buff, Build TP all at once, and is it just your standard TP & WS gear swaps? Or swaps for Rolls?

Ask you can tell lol, I don't enjoy pulling - Is it acceptable for a COR to chose not you?
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-08 14:13:12

COR isn't exactly the best puller. Guns typically have ridiculously high delay, and outpulling another party in competition is out of the question, and quick draw has only 2 charges with a minute recast on each. But really COR should be puller as a last resort and with /nin sub only.

To really get full use out of your damage potential, sub ranger as often as you can. Another option at later levels is to sub white mage and wear full +MP gear to be 100% support based for cases where it would be futile to shoot something. However this really only applies to much higher level situations or manaburns.

Also if you really are going all out on COR, I strongly recommend you start leveling up alchemy to make your own bullets or find a friend who does. Otherwise it'll cost you an arm and a leg to prep up for a good long party.
 Bahamut.Cyr
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-08 14:23:41
Link | Citer | R

Well, you mentioned being useless on WAR. If you are talking solely about utility, here is my opinion:

A great player and friend once told me to level jobs that round off your character. This will help to make you more versatile in a variety of situations and much more useful, both for yourself and your LS(if you have one).

For you, I would start with BLM. Everyone should have BLM. Its a fun job, and easy to level solo. BLM is also one of the most useful event jobs in the game.
Anyone who complains about having to play BLM all the time only complains because everyone else doesn't have the job leveled. Hence, everyone should level BLM. Do it now.

THF, I know, not on your list. Get it. Everyone's LS will need treasure hunter one day.

BRD or COR. Pick one, level it. Then level the other one. Everyone loves support jobs, get one/both for meriting and events. Sidenote: Never equip any staff on cor, ever.

RDM or WHM. Healing jobs are nice. Pick at least one. I recommend RDM as it has far more potential, especially in areas of the game that stretch far beyond just healing.

PLD or NIN (or RDM). Tank jobs are useful. It is always nice to have one of the base tank jobs available, especially if you play the job well. RDM can also work as a tank job, depending on the structure of your LS and what you guys do.

I know I sorta went beyond the jobs that you listed, and even left some out. I figured you already had WAR, a heavy DD job, so I left out other pure DD jobs. Either way, whatever you choose, never stop leveling.
 Bahamut.Cyr
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-08 14:26:48
Link | Citer | R

Caligo said:

Race is Elvaan if that matters anymore. I'm definatly looking into Corsair more and more. SAM & DRK do seem alot like taking WAR to 75 all over again. Swing at mob,stick JA's up, WS, repeat.

With COR it seems like the invite rates would be insane, wouldn't be too expensive since it's one of those jobs with useful AF and shares some equip with other fairly cheap slots that won't gimp me.

Is it expeceted for COR to pull in a party? Is it hard to Pull, Buff, Build TP all at once, and is it just your standard TP & WS gear swaps? Or swaps for Rolls?

Ask you can tell lol, I don't enjoy pulling - Is it acceptable for a COR to chose not you?

DD is what is expected. Use a mercurial kris and the best bullets available. Brings a hefty amount of cards. This job is probably the most expensive in the game, bar-none, if you play it properly.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-08 14:27:19

Cyr said:

BRD or COR. Pick one, level it. Then level the other one. Everyone loves support jobs, get one/both for meriting and events. Sidenote: Never equip any staff on cor, ever.

Vulcan's Staff, kthxbye.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-08 14:36:17
Link | Citer | R

Cyr said:
A great player and friend once told me to level jobs that round off your character.

This is what i'm doing and its definitly a good idea, I have pld and blm done and working on rdm and sam, after that all i'll need is thf and brd and there won't be a situation i'll be useless in =D Only problem is it's gonna take till september at my rate lol But definitly well worth it.
 Remora.Caligo
By Remora.Caligo 2009-02-08 14:50:51
Link | Citer | R

Aye, should get more than one & two jobs. Just I lack the ability to stick to it. TH in my LS isn't really a problem and I'm not entirely leveling the job for that. BLM does look pretty good.

Though with COR, leveling Alchemy with it could be a great way to get into a craft.

Guess I'll take a few jobs to 37 and see if I can get into it.
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-08 20:38:51
Link | Citer | R

Cyr said:
Everyone should have BLM. Its a fun job, and easy to level solo. BLM is also one of the most useful event jobs in the game.

Just quoting this because that sir is entirely right <3
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-08 20:40:40
Link | Citer | R

Antipika said:
Cyr said:
Everyone should have BLM. Its a fun job, and easy to level solo. BLM is also one of the most useful event jobs in the game.

Just quoting this because that sir is entirely right &lt;3

Click on this guy's profile. Seriously, do it!

Biased much?

/blist add Antipika

<3

To the OP: Level COR Level COR Level COR They all look like fun jobs Level COR Level COR Level COR but you should try them all out Level COR Level COR Level COR to a certain extent, Level COR Level COR Level COR you might like all of them and Level COR Level COR Level COR decide to try them all out! Level COR Level COR Level COR

Hey, I just had idea! Level COR, that job's great :)
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-08 21:33:51
Link | Citer | R

Woooooodum do you ever think u comment on stuff just to much. =P lol
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-08 22:13:43
Link | Citer | R

Caligo said:

Sorry for the late post, I have been too busy with school to look at various posts.

Caligo said:

SAMs tend to actually hit the mobs with ease more than DRKs. At least, thats what I felt like when I raised both jobs to 37 for subs. Also, with DRK, you seem to cut yourself more RL because of the lolacc rate you get (worse with Elvaan)

Caligo said:

The invite rates were insane back when this job first came available, then died out really quickly. True about the useful AF and all that.

Caligo said:

Since my RA knowledge is pretty thin, and that so few CORs actually pull (unless you have no other puller, its usually BRD > THF > RNG > COR pullers in that order) so I don't think you actually pull much. Pulling however, is useful so you can know the distance between walking in front of a gob without aggro and walking in front of a gob that aggros you.

I think however, that you can get away with just TP and WS switchs. I don't think there are many equipments that affect Rolls at all.

On a personal note, COR > BRD in most situations.

Advantage of CORs:

1) Better buffs on some things (Accuracy, Attack, Refresh, Evasion)
2) More buffs than BRD (pet+ rolls, MAB+ rolls, hMP rolls, MAcc rolls)
3) Ability to add more buffs than BRDs (Adding Attack and Accuracy/Range Accuracy which also adds more to the jobs than BRD, plus the ability to add Store TP and Accuracy, or Double Attack + Attack)
4) CORs actually do damage instead of standing around with their thumbs up their butts.

Disadvantages of CORs:
1) Inability to slow the mob
2) Can't sleep more than 2 mobs at a time.
3) Can't dispel more than twice in a minute (same as BRD though, pretty much) unless my knowledge of Dark Shot is incorrect.
4) Rolls are luck based (which this disadvantage can be an advantage when done smartly)
5) You have this as your picture:
User submitted image

I still think that COR > BRD (since I hate BRD to the utmost, I am speaking with bias)
 Bahamut.Memimi
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-08 22:15:28
Link | Citer | R

Cyr said:
Well, you mentioned being useless on WAR. If you are talking solely about utility, here is my opinion:

A great player and friend once told me to level jobs that round off your character. This will help to make you more versatile in a variety of situations and much more useful, both for yourself and your LS(if you have one).

For you, I would start with BLM. Everyone should have BLM. Its a fun job, and easy to level solo. BLM is also one of the most useful event jobs in the game.
Anyone who complains about having to play BLM all the time only complains because everyone else doesn't have the job leveled. Hence, everyone should level BLM. Do it now.

THF, I know, not on your list. Get it. Everyone's LS will need treasure hunter one day.

RDM or WHM. Healing jobs are nice. Pick at least one. I recommend RDM as it has far more potential, especially in areas of the game that stretch far beyond just healing.

PLD or NIN (or RDM). Tank jobs are useful. It is always nice to have one of the base tank jobs available, especially if you play the job well. RDM can also work as a tank job, depending on the structure of your LS and what you guys do.

I know I sorta went beyond the jobs that you listed, and even left some out. I figured you already had WAR, a heavy DD job, so I left out other pure DD jobs. Either way, whatever you choose, never stop leveling.

Totally right. Sure, I may be a little... biased since I <3 him so much, but it's true.

BLM is /very/ fun and /very/ useful. Sure you'll probably be pinned to come as BLM to a lot of EG activities, but it's also great for things like duoing in sky and whatever. Just... be ready to solo, and be ready to die. You /will/ die in endgame and you /will/ die soloing... a lot until you get the hang of it.

Between COR and BRD... both are rather fun in my opinion... COR is gonna cost more, esspecially if you want to do decent damage, though bards will get faster invites. Keep that in mind if you are looking for a fast to level job or a fun to level job. Really, one of these is a must have if you want to maximize your character's usefulnes.

RDM is a great job to level. You can use it in so much and it can do so many things. My main problem with RDM is grinding through those levels before Convert and Refresh. I can't handle it. You can't main heal, you can't nuke for crap, your melee sucks... and invites are really slow until around 40-50.

If you really enjoy DD, then Samurai is a great choice. Quick invites, lots of damage, lots of fun, and it's a great EG DD. Really though, if you are looking for usefulness, you should concider something outside the relm of what you already have, same goes with DRK.

BST... it has limited EG uses, though if you want it for soloing purposes, I guess it's okay. This one really depends on whether you want to be useful to yourself when it comes to soloing, or useful to your EG shell.

And I know you guys will check me and be like "Wtf, sharing your opinion on so many jobs when you have only have to 75s?" Yes, that's true, but this is stuff I've learned from trying different jobs, talking to my friends, like Cyr, and just watching how any EG shell I've been in works. In fact, I've picked a nice plan for leveling jobs to be more useful based on a comment Cyr made to me when I was an uber nooblet. 75BLM > 75DRG(DD job) > 75BRD > 75RDM > 75PLD > 75THF. ^^
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-08 22:37:05
Link | Citer | R

Saiya said:
Of all of those jobs, if you like your Melee vein... i'd suggest Samurai^^.

At various points the job doesn't disappoint, very fun to play but with enough perks to make it interesting. Is a very reliably potent DD from lvl 10-75 (Especially at 75 XD).

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Yeah, I tend to see a lot of SAM's running around partying and such on Fairy, so must be a pretty popular job...

Haven't gotten it past 21 myself, but that's definitely a future goal of mine, at least after I get DNC and WHM to 75 lol

Kep said:
All depends on what U want to do with your ffxi time. Do you wanna do a lot of meriting? If so Bard or Sam. Do you wanna do a lot of end game? If so DRK, RDM, SAM, or BLM.

There is no secret about that, & the reason is simple, SAM is a lot easier than a DRK to gear, about the stats & about the way to obtain them, also SAM stats are maybe little lesser than DRK (example: DRK get 4 more STR than SAM actually) but they are more effective on many points (blame SE they overpowered SAMs) so if you want something to make show & to do like everyone would do, level up SAM, if you want pleasure & challenge, level up DRK, DRK is my main & i got SAM to 75 as well, trust me, the SAM get a lot more of conveniances than the DRKs (who been getting nerfed down).

Now if you want to have more chances to get in a good endgame LS, i'd recommand you to level up a mage or a tank, most of all the LS (outside of Dyna that are open to everyone mostly) ask the players to have a job of each (mage,tank,DD) to take their app in consideration.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-08 22:49:52
Link | Citer | R

Cecilharvey said:
(blame SE they overpowered SAMs)

Don't say that, or they will nerf SAMs
 Asura.Gavvy
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-02-08 22:54:05
Link | Citer | R

Race means nothing.

Everyone should really strive for a DD, suport, and mage. Meaning: DD+BRD/COR+WHM/BLM/RDM/SCH/SMN~ Also a tank (gogo PLD~!)

Most HNM shells expect people to have a mage alternative~
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-08 23:18:49
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, if you want to have another fun job and given that you're Elvaan.

I'd reccommend taking a look at monk. I know you didn't list it, but it's easy to level. Also it plays to an Elvaan's strongest attributes: STR, VIT and MND. All 3 figure highly in MNK abilities.

MNK is useful in endgame, especially if you ever have an interest in doing Salvage... Just a thought to kind of expand your horizons...
 Asura.Gavvy
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-02-08 23:28:46
Link | Citer | R

MNKs uses are pretty limited to only Salvage (since he has Warrior.)

MNK is really good fun, but I wouldn't recomend it unless you have a keen intrest in Salvage.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-08 23:29:47

How about you level up what strikes your interest in gameplay and style more so than it's particular uses in endgame activities?
 Fairy.Rikhu
user: Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-02-08 23:50:44
Link | Citer | R

Level Rdm, there is always space for rdm at endgame activities.

and 2nd level Blu, cause its fun.. we play to archive that right :p
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-09 00:22:51
Link | Citer | R

Korpg said:
Cecilharvey said:
(blame SE they overpowered SAMs)

Don't say that, or they will nerf SAMs

lol Korpg you have to admit what i'm saying is true, SAM have a great advantage on all other DDs (not counting RNG).

Gavvy said:
Race means nothing.

lets take a Taru BLM & an Elvaan BLM to 75, no gears no merits, compare their stats, it doesn't mean a thing still ?

Lets take a Taru DRK & an Elvaan DRK to 75, no gears no merits, Compare their Stats again, still doesn't mean anything ?

Need more examples ?

/facepalm
 Fairy.Spiriel
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2009-02-09 00:45:58
Link | Citer | R

Racially, an Elvaan is best suited for SAM. All that STR, and Great Katana's only modifier is STR. It's a match made in heaven, really.

Inversely, Elvaan suffer from a lack of MP for jobs such as RDM and BLM, so you have to buy MP+ gear, which can get pricy if you want to get the best.

Financially, you can probably recycle some of the WAR gear you have left over on DRK easily. SAM can also share some of that gear. The other jobs however are going to need their own sets of gear entirely.

A friend was leveling PUP, and took RDM all the way to 75 instead because, and I quote, "there's always a demand for RDM in endgame."

Hope that gave some ideas.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-09 00:46:28

I think what Gavvy was trying to say is racial differences prove to be a very insignificant role in how well played out a class is in the long run. A race by no means will ever "make or break" a job.
 Cerberus.Radaghast
user: Radaghast
By Cerberus.Radaghast 2009-02-09 01:15:50
Link | Citer | R

BST all the way.

It's great for tons of reasons.

1. You can thug-gear it all the way to 75. Unless you buy RR items, it's a super cheap job to exp. Plus you gain tons and tons of seals, and at some camps you can farm money items. Truthfully you make more than you spend.

2. You exp on your own time. Forget all that mucking about LFG for 3 hours only to join a pt full of nOobs who don't know what they're doing, and cause you to lose more exp in 20 minutes than you had gained in the last hour. A nice side perk to this is logging out at your camp. Bored of exping for the day? Log out. You can log back in and be exping within seconds.

3. Solid lessons in self-reliance, and *imo* a better understanding of battle mechanics in the context of hate, hate control, and so on.

Plus... you just don't have to deal with people. It's funny because I lvld bst to 75 right after WAR. Similar to the situation you are in.

4. The sense of accomplishment you feel when you ding 75 is second to none.

All the jobs you listed are fun in their own right. I just thought I'd throw in my very positive experience with BST. GL
First Page 2