WAR ZERG thoughts
First Page 2
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-20 16:14:33
Link | Citer | R

Inb4 Zerging is dead, there are still events and occasions in which it's still useful or fun.

Being main WAR I've always tried to maximize each aspect and ability of the job.
Since the release of the Mini expansions and then the Abyssea expansions I noticed the introduction of some gear which could potentially benefit WAR's Mighty Strikes.
I believe most WARs have never considered working towards a build to enhance their 2hr's effectiveness.

DRK however is the great example of how a 2hr ability can affect equipment, so by keeping in mind Mighty Strikes I came up with this:

Blitzer Poleyn would have the "Increases Crit. hit dmg" and Haste Augments, for a total result of 26% Haste and +9.5% (according to Wiki?) increase in Crit hit DMG.

Also the use of champion's galea with STR, Haste and Crit Hit DMG +2 Augments, and Haste belt came to mind.

Any thoughts?

[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-20 16:25:18
Link | Citer | R

I would use a Hard hitting axe rather than fort axe. The fact war has such high natural DA takes away from the OAT weapons. Other than that it doesn't look that bad imo. You really need a bad *** Kings Justice set for zergs, keep that in mind.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-10-20 16:27:31
Link | Citer | R

Bustle Dirs puts u @ 28% haste b4 lolbody/fort axe
so u could use a kunlun+1 from totm dmg88 OAT gaxe and a better body
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-20 16:30:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Krazyrs said:

The whole idea of using Blitzer Poleyn though is to benefit from the 3% Crit hit dmg increase. It's stacking that effect that would benefit Mighty Strikes the most while still retaining Haste cap.
And if I were to use any other leg piece I might as well work on ravager's cuisses +2
 Bahamut.Zorander
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-20 16:31:18
Link | Citer | R

Aren't war zerg more alive now than ever?

[+]
 Asura.Solara
Serveur: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-10-21 15:36:32
Link | Citer | R

If you're thinking outright maxed dmg during Mighty Strikes, I'd say something like this:

6 hit, capped haste (a bit over, but I don't feel like digging deeper to adjust it), good amount of double atk and crit dmg+, and double dmg procs on your crits.

Stack with RR and VV atmas, marches, war and chaos rolls.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-21 15:38:23
Link | Citer | R

What about OAT G.axe?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-21 15:40:21
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Krazyrs said:
OAT GA is pretty bad, actually.

Depending on your buffs you could need as little as 17% gear haste to hard cap total haste. Something to keep in mind.
[+]
 Cerberus.Quipto
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-10-21 15:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
I would use a Hard hitting axe rather than fort axe. The fact war has such high natural DA takes away from the OAT weapons. Other than that it doesn't look that bad imo. You really need a bad *** Kings Justice set for zergs, keep that in mind.
Sea weapons stack with natural DA though, making 4 swings per round possible. Unless you're getting at something else i'm not understanding.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-10-21 16:04:22
Link | Citer | R

WAR zerg isn't about hitting fast, its about hitting hard... Go /SAM, get 300 TP Full buffs Sekka > KJ > KJ > Icarus Wing > KJ > Med > KJ. You don't need good TP gear, you need good WS gear. If you are in abyssea, get the Atma of Raized Ruin and Sanguine Scythe.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-21 16:07:31
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Quipto said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sea weapons stack with natural DA though, making 4 swings per round possible. Unless you're getting at something else i'm not understanding.

When you attack that fast and already have native DA, a lot of your TP gain will be wasted, since you'd overshoot 100, but not by enough to make the WS damaging enough, and even then, lower D.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-21 16:09:09
Link | Citer | R

The best use of Mighty Strikes (imo) comes from 3 effects:

1) Capping Weapon Swing speed. By this I mean magic, ja and gear haste
2) Maximizing the ammount of hits per swing.
3) Increasing DMG per hit

I didn't actually understand what you meant Night.
Provided you obtain the 1st goal and manage to Max out Haste then why would relying on a multihit weapon and maximizing hits per round be a bad thing?

And the reason I was suggesting Fort Axe is because of its unique abilty to proc along with DA.
The low base dmg would affect WS DMG, but the increased ammount of swings while under 2hr could make it worth the difference.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-21 16:12:11
Link | Citer | R

My idea was to actually try and make a different use of te 2hr and maximize normal swings effect other than just the ws basically

Also, @ Eyrhika, IW already is a Med
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-10-21 16:14:43
Link | Citer | R

That's fine, but you aren't going to do as much damage during your 2hour that way. Not saying it is going to be terrible, but not the best use of Mighty Strikes.
 Bahamut.Satanas
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-10-21 16:18:56
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Eyrhika said:
WAR zerg isn't about hitting fast, its about hitting hard... Go /SAM, get 300 TP Full buffs Sekka > KJ > KJ > Icarus Wing > KJ > Med > KJ. You don't need good TP gear, you need good WS gear. If you are in abyssea, get the Atma of Raized Ruin and Sanguine Scythe.

I agree with this, I would think more dmg would come from WAR WS>TP zerg than WAR TP>WS Zerg. Also if you get the Crit dmg+ atmas wouldn't you use RR instead of KJ inside abyssea?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-21 16:21:36
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Eyrhika said:
That's fine, but you aren't going to do as much damage during your 2hour that way. Not saying it is going to be terrible, but not the best use of Mighty Strikes.
Use macros, have good gear in both areas, ???, profit. You're going to get some melee hits in, don't waste them.

Odin.Sheelay said:
Provided you obtain the 1st goal and manage to Max out Haste then why would relying on a multihit weapon and maximizing hits per round be a bad thing?
All else being equal, the value of a weapon that doesn't have haste on it is unaffected by the amount of haste you have elsewhere. WAR has a high DA rate natively (adding more is worth less) and there's a decent chance you'll overshoot 100 TP, reducing the value of that round's additional attack.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 16:23:06
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sheelay said:
The best use of Mighty Strikes (imo) comes from 3 effects: 1) Capping Weapon Swing speed. By this I mean magic, ja and gear haste 2) Maximizing the ammount of hits per swing. 3) Increasing DMG per hit I didn't actually understand what you meant Night. Provided you obtain the 1st goal and manage to Max out Haste then why would relying on a multihit weapon and maximizing hits per round be a bad thing? And the reason I was suggesting Fort Axe is because of its unique abilty to proc along with DA. The low base dmg would affect WS DMG, but the increased ammount of swings while under 2hr could make it worth the difference.

If the OAT weapon did the same damage as a higher base damage weapon then obviously the OAT weapon would be good. Consider this mathmatical scenario:

OAT Axe hits for 250 damage on a crit and has 50% DA
NAMLESSBASEDAMAGE AXE hits for 450 damage on a crit with no DA.
We'll assume both have a delay of 120 which means 15 swings in 30 seconds.

250*15*1.2*1.5*.8= 5400 damage. for OAT axe

450*15*1.2= 8100 damage for NAMELESSHIGHDAMAGEAXETHINGMABOB

Go with a high damage axe. It will pull even further ahead due to base WS damage.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-21 16:23:26
Link | Citer | R

On highly buffed situations KJ > RR. Especially while under 2hr since KJ doesn't naturally crit.
That means you get to crit the 50% STR mod instead of the 35% STR mod.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-21 16:32:23
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
The best use of Mighty Strikes (imo) comes from 3 effects: 1) Capping Weapon Swing speed. By this I mean magic, ja and gear haste 2) Maximizing the ammount of hits per swing. 3) Increasing DMG per hit I didn't actually understand what you meant Night. Provided you obtain the 1st goal and manage to Max out Haste then why would relying on a multihit weapon and maximizing hits per round be a bad thing? And the reason I was suggesting Fort Axe is because of its unique abilty to proc along with DA. The low base dmg would affect WS DMG, but the increased ammount of swings while under 2hr could make it worth the difference.

If the OAT weapon did the same damage as a higher base damage weapon then obviously the OAT weapon would be good. Consider this mathmatical scenario:

OAT Axe hits for 250 damage on a crit and has 50% DA
NAMLESSBASEDAMAGE AXE hits for 450 damage on a crit with no DA.
We'll assume both have a delay of 120 which means 15 swings in 30 seconds.

250*15*1.2*1.5*.8= 5400 damage. for OAT axe

450*15*1.2= 8100 damage for NAMELESSHIGHDAMAGEAXETHINGMABOB

Go with a high damage axe. It will pull even further ahead due to base WS damage.

Have you considered the additional dmg from a DA + OAT proc on Fort though?
I'm really just trying to understand but I guess sometimes my overall average knowlege of english (I am Italian after all) can affect my understanding.

What if you were able to consistantly swing at least twice per round. In that case it wouldn't matter if the 2nd hit came from a DA or OAT proc, which would also mean the Kunlun+1 could be an option.

Why would adding DA to WAR's natural DA be bad? If it helps you assure a high DA frequency, therefore an increased ammount of hits under a set period of time (2hr) then I would consider it good.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 16:35:03
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sheelay said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
If the OAT weapon did the same damage as a higher base damage weapon then obviously the OAT weapon would be good. Consider this mathmatical scenario: OAT Axe hits for 250 damage on a crit and has 50% DA NAMLESSBASEDAMAGE AXE hits for 450 damage on a crit with no DA. We'll assume both have a delay of 120 which means 15 swings in 30 seconds. 250*15*1.2*1.5*.8= 5400 damage. for OAT axe 450*15*1.2= 8100 damage for NAMELESSHIGHDAMAGEAXETHINGMABOB Go with a high damage axe. It will pull even further ahead due to base WS damage.
Have you considered the additional dmg from a DA + OAT proc on Fort though? I'm really just trying to understand but I guess sometimes my overall average knowlege of english (I am Italian after all) can affect my understanding. What if you were able to consistantly swing at least twice per round. In that case it wouldn't matter if the 2nd hit came from a DA or OAT proc, which would also mean the Kunlun+1 could be an option. Why would adding DA to WAR's natural DA be bad? If it helps you assure a high DA frequency, therefore an increased ammount of hits under a set period of time (2hr) then I would consider it good.

lol that's what i did here:

250(Base damage)X 15(Swings in 30 seconds) X 1.2(+20% double attack naturally) X 1.5(+50% OAT) X .8(-20% in which OAT and DA do not stack) = 5400

450(Base damage) X 15(Swings in 30 seconds. This number doesn't even need to be here cause its a constant in both equations) X 1.2(+20% Double attack)= 8100
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-21 16:40:07
Link | Citer | R

Oh, ok I get it now lol
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 16:41:33
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sheelay said:
Oh, ok I get it now lol

I could be wrong on those base damage ammounts. I recall my 117 damage apoc crits for 400-460ish. I don't know what the max damage GAXE is now but I assume the crits would be in that range as well.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-21 17:14:10
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:

250(Base damage)X 15(Swings in 30 seconds) X 1.2(+20% double attack naturally) X 1.5(+50% OAT) X .8(-20% in which OAT and DA do not stack) = 5400

450(Base damage) X 15(Swings in 30 seconds. This number doesn't even need to be here cause its a constant in both equations) X 1.2(+20% Double attack)= 8100

With fort axe DA and OAT _DO_ stack tho :P
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 17:16:11
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
250(Base damage)X 15(Swings in 30 seconds) X 1.2(+20% double attack naturally) X 1.5(+50% OAT) X .8(-20% in which OAT and DA do not stack) = 5400 450(Base damage) X 15(Swings in 30 seconds. This number doesn't even need to be here cause its a constant in both equations) X 1.2(+20% Double attack)= 8100

Why would he use fort axe and not a higher base damage OAT axe?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-21 17:17:31
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
250(Base damage)X 15(Swings in 30 seconds) X 1.2(+20% double attack naturally) X 1.5(+50% OAT) X .8(-20% in which OAT and DA do not stack) = 5400 450(Base damage) X 15(Swings in 30 seconds. This number doesn't even need to be here cause its a constant in both equations) X 1.2(+20% Double attack)= 8100

Why would he use fort axe and not a higher base damage OAT axe?

Was just going by what OP used in the itemset!
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-10-21 17:33:52
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Eyrhika said:
That second ws should really be a Warrior's Charged Steel Cyclone since you'll be at 200% TP after the 1st WS.
Odin.Sheelay said:
My idea was to actually try and make a different use of te 2hr and maximize normal swings effect other than just the ws basically Also, @ Eyrhika, IW already is a Med
That "Med" is probably Meditate
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
Oh, ok I get it now lol
I could be wrong on those base damage ammounts. I recall my 117 damage apoc crits for 400-460ish. I don't know what the max damage GAXE is now but I assume the crits would be in that range as well.
With V-Bhuj during zerg my crits average aroud 400ish depending on the mob. add or subtract 50ish-dmg depending on the mob.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-10-21 17:33:52
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Lakshmi.Eyrhika said:
Use macros, have good gear in both areas, ???, profit. You're going to get some melee hits in, don't waste them.

Odin.Sheelay said:
All else being equal, the value of a weapon that doesn't have haste on it is unaffected by the amount of haste you have elsewhere. WAR has a high DA rate natively (adding more is worth less) and there's a decent chance you'll overshoot 100 TP, reducing the value of that round's additional attack.
So in that light, platinum grip +1 > mythril grip +1 > pole grip? and Rose strap > all? or...? (-edit- for WAR)
 Remora.Laphine
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-10-21 17:34:52
Link | Citer | R

Yeah even tho fort axe can proc double attacks with it's multi hit, it is obsolete now. Actually, it's damage potential was close to that of perdu volgue back at 75.

If you take fort axe base damage and multiply by multihit proc rate (50% is it? if it's 45% fort damage potential was even worse) 64 x 1.5 = 96, same base damage perdu has. There are still other things to notice like fstr, which favors lower delay/multi hits. Still, both weapons were a close tie at level 75 days.

Anyway, don't go away from the cap haste idea Sheelay. Uweredoingitrite~. War is not about ws...dps wins the game. When zerging there are many things that affect your performance - to name one: lag. This is a big thing, a few secs of lag will make you lose many rounds over 100tp. Wasted tp is wasted damage. Still, your dps is there, crushing things with 80% haste + 100% crit. Even if you don't take lag into consideration, war has a 60/40 dps/ws damage split while /sam. I mean, meditate and store tp increased the ws portion of this split, but it is still lower than the dps. So yeah, think haste.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-21 17:39:42
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
So in that light, mythril grip +1 > pole grip?
No. Keep in mind this is still a relative thing; you're not going to get a ~2% total increase out of Mythril +1 unless your accuracy is lacking. Quantities matter.

EDIT: Same deal for Platinum +1. Get your accuracy elsewhere. If you are using an OAX weapon for whatever reason though, Platinum +1 does have some utility value from the stun. See: 75 SAM/DNC solo with Soboro using Platinum +1.

Quote:
and Rose strap > all? or...? (-edit- for WAR)
Rose Strap is a fairly efficient means of maintaining an x-hit, so situationally yes, as dropping a hit to WS is more powerful than 2 DA.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-10-21 17:43:39
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
So in that light, mythril grip +1 > pole grip?
No. Keep in mind this is still a relative thing; you're not going to get a ~2% total increase out of Mythril +1 unless your accuracy is lacking. Quantities matter.

EDIT: Same deal for Platinum +1. Get your accuracy elsewhere. If you are using an OAX weapon for whatever reason though, Platinum +1 does have some utility value from the stun. See: 75 SAM/DNC solo with Soboro using Platinum +1.

Quote:
and Rose strap > all? or...? (-edit- for WAR)
Rose Strap is a fairly efficient means of maintaining an x-hit, so situationally yes, as dropping a hit to WS is more powerful than 2 DA.
I think I need to take DD lessons from you. Took me a couple of rereads to get all that.

Also, whenever I hear "situational," I think, almost instantly, "less inventory." :<
First Page 2