Gearing For WS.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Gearing for WS.
Gearing for WS.
 Fenrir.Azazael
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-10-14 12:46:28
Link | Citer | R

I recently got my MNK to 85 and am wondering how to gear it for WS. I have seen a variety of sets and they are all slightly different; one uses Kote and PCC, another uses Usu Gote and Gorget.

I can look at wiki and see what the mods are, but it seems like there is less focus on mods and more focus on things like attack. I am assuming that this is due to the nature of MNK vs other jobs.

I guess I am wondering how to gear for my big 3 skills (Asuran, Ascetic, Tornado).
 Titan.Ingui
Serveur: Titan
user: Ingui
By Titan.Ingui 2010-10-14 13:25:00
Link | Citer | R

In general for multi-hit WS like Asuran Fists attack > mods for damage.
You will need to make sure you have enough accuracy to hit all of the hits the majority of the time. I tend to use dual purpose pieces with accuracy and attack for Asuran Fists.

For single hit WS or Tornado Kick (2 hit) Mods > attack
Any piece you can find with mods and attack on them are bonus (eg. Thew Bomblet).

Mirke Wardecors is acc+ and attack+.

My Asuran Fists (I full time footwork)

My Tornado Kick

Lakshmi.Aurilius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-14 13:29:25
Link | Citer | R

For asuran it's more about the accuracy and attack, but for tornado kick it's easier to stack str and vit.

I'm actually in a current dilemma myself. Trying to figure a way to get gear haste cap while full timing the empyrean +2 feet for footwork, but I dont think its possible.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-14 13:46:09
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
For asuran it's more about the accuracy and attack, but for tornado kick it's easier to stack str and vit.

I'm actually in a current dilemma myself. Trying to figure a way to get gear haste cap while full timing the empyrean +2 feet for footwork, but I dont think its possible.

Turban
Aurore gloves
Haste+1 necklace
Black belt
Haidate\af3
Capped haste!
 Sylph.Rorrick
Serveur: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-10-14 13:49:14
Link | Citer | R

Tantra Crown+2
Tantra Hose+2
Black Belt
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-14 13:53:48
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Rorrick said:
Tantra Crown+2
Tantra Hose+2
Black Belt

Or that.. xD
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-14 13:58:40
Link | Citer | R

Ok so the cap is indeed hard set at 25%. I keep hearing people say that it's actually higher and you need 26% to truly hit it, but I can never tell who's talking out of their *** or not.

I'm one jewel away from my +2 legs, and I think 3 pieces from the +2 head, so soon enough.

I suppose for now I could just get that last jewel for my legs and do tantra crown+1, tantra legs +1, blackbelt, and the aurora gloves. At least till I get the crown +2.
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-10-14 14:04:23
Link | Citer | R

I've heard Brutal isn't good for Asuran, due to it being an 8 hit WS and that's the most you can hit, so DA's won't happen, use your Kemas Earring, I could be wrong though.
 Fenrir.Yinsha
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-10-14 14:10:30
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Thandar said:
I've heard Brutal isn't good for Asuran, due to it being an 8 hit WS and that's the most you can hit, so DA's won't happen, use your Kemas Earring, I could be wrong though.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-10-14 14:13:15
Link | Citer | R

Dragon Kick / Tornado Kick set

Ascentics Fury / Howling fist

Asuran

These are my current sets that I use for MNK, still working on AF3 pieces.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-14 14:15:56
Link | Citer | R

So are afflictors like officially the best kick attack weapon, or do people use them for both sets?

Reason I ask is because the AF3+2 boots have +45 kick attacks and also augment footwork. So if I'm gearing specifically for a mob that I don't want to feed insane amounts of TP and I full time footwork, are Afflictors the best option? I wouldn't think so, but I see so many of you using them.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-10-14 14:17:31
Link | Citer | R

If you do not want to feet TP using the 2-3 times weapons, then yes.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-14 14:19:39
Link | Citer | R

Well I don't mind feeding TP when the hits are doing substantial damage. I mean I don't want to feed it TP from actually going H2H on it. Like punching and kicking 7 times in a single attack round and doing 50-100 a hit, but instead kicking twice at 300 a pop.

So I'm assuming the 2-3 is still the top then?
 Fenrir.Azazael
user: azazael
By Fenrir.Azazael 2010-10-14 14:19:39
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Ok so the cap is indeed hard set at 25%. I keep hearing people say that it's actually higher and you need 26% to truly hit it, but I can never tell who's talking out of their *** or not.

I'm one jewel away from my +2 legs, and I think 3 pieces from the +2 head, so soon enough.

I suppose for now I could just get that last jewel for my legs and do tantra crown+1, tantra legs +1, blackbelt, and the aurora gloves. At least till I get the crown +2.

The haste cap is indeed 25%, but if you look at the actual values for your haste gear (xx/1024) then you usually need 26% to truly cap (unless all the values add up right, which may be on the +2 values)

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Haste_%28Status_Effect%29
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-10-14 14:23:05
Link | Citer | R

Yinsha's a ***.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-14 14:23:24
Link | Citer | R

Anyone know the store TP tiers on footwork? Like how much store TP you need to get a 5 hit or a 4 hit? I'm assuming a 4 hit is pretty much impossible, but I'd imagine a 5 hit is fairly easy.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Serveur: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-10-14 16:54:01
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
Dragon Kick / Tornado Kick set

Ascentics Fury / Howling fist

Asuran

These are my current sets that I use for MNK, still working on AF3 pieces.

Destroyers are better than Afflictors.
 Titan.Ingui
Serveur: Titan
user: Ingui
By Titan.Ingui 2010-10-14 18:55:21
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Rorrick said:

Bull on that. Even if you aren't using footwork you are getting an extra attack in a round 7% more often which means more tp which means that you WS faster. On top of that they are higher base damage. Unless you have some parser math to show otherwise your claim makes no sense.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-14 19:07:33
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Ingui said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:

Bull on that. Even if you aren't using footwork you are getting an extra attack in a round 7% more often which means more tp which means that you WS faster. On top of that they are higher base damage. Unless you have some parser math to show otherwise your claim makes no sense.
That attack round is significantly weaker unless you're TPing in KA boots. There are two ways to justify doing so: Footwork, in which case you're still an idiot for using Afflictors over say OA2-3 (the only way it's viable to begin with), or full AF3+2, in which case I'd hope you're using an acceptable pair of H2H over some 80 cap gear. Note the delay disparity as well. Afflictors are garbage.
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-14 20:55:25
Link | Citer | R

Destroyers are absolutely better than Afflictors, even putting Destroyers in a worst-case position (capped attack) and Afflictors in best-case position (+7% KA rate is active 100% of the time, which isn't possible given that they're an additional effect proc), even allowing for full Tantra +2 so that you get the higher damage kicks. Destroyers are still about 4% ahead in overall DOT. There is absolutely never a reason to recommend Afflictors over -any- other H2H weapon unless you're recommending in terms of looks and not damage. I'd take Wagh Baghs or NQ Hades over Afflictors.

Regarding the haste cap: To be precise, the cap is 256/1024, which in decimal form is in fact 25%. However gear with % listings actually gives some /1024 fraction to be added up, not the actual percentage listed. At present, the closest you can get to the 256 cap without going over (as far as I know) is from Tantra +2 head/legs + Black Belt. Their haste will be 71/1024, 61/1024, and 122/1024, for a total of 254/1024, just 2 shy of the 256 cap. By comparison, full Usu + Black Belt gives a total of 252/1024, 4 shy of the cap. Both of those combos appear to be "25%" according to the items' game text, and you'd need to add something else to put you at 26%+ 'listed' gear haste to actually hit the 256 cap.

Re: Mods vs +Attack -- +attack is actually still a very solid option even for weaponskills like Howling Fist/Tornado Kick. It's not common to actually hit the attack cap, so OKote vs Alky's can end up being almost the same, and in many of my comparisons Shura body beats Kirin's Osode. Also, if you're going well over the attack cap with Boost, you can drop Boost to increase your speed, in which case the +attack is still useful.

Regarding OA2-3 Footwork vs standard with, for example fire path Taipan Fangs +1, it depends on your gear set. Excluding Relic/Mythic/Emyrean:

Full Tantra +2 using OA2-3 Footwork is the best.
Next is Taipan +1 with full Tantra +2.
Next is Taipan +1 with full Usu.
Next if OA2-3 Footwork with Poise and mostly Usu build.
And then you fall down to the lvl 80 weapons with full Usu.

Store TP tiers for Footwork:

+10 Store TP gives you a 7-hit (2 weaponskill hits, 5 melee hits). This is doable with a few common items.
+29 Store TP gives you a 6-hit (2 weaponskill hits, 4 melee hits). This is doable with /sam or Sam Roll.
+54 Store TP gives you a 5-hit (2 weaponskill hits, 3 melee hits). This is doable with /sam + Sam Roll with a sam in party. Generally impractical.

May need to adjust the numbers slightly if you want to be able to change out gear that has Store TP on it during weaponskills.
[+]