Once In A Player Lifetime.....

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Once in a player lifetime.....
Once in a player lifetime.....
 Alexander.Keldewis
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-02-05 10:20:38
Link | Citer | R

So, I throw my Smart Grenade in XP party yesterday, and the GM's say they can do a one time replacement of the item, but this can only be done once ever... However if after thoroughly reviewing the circumstances surrounding the situation it would seem to me that this should be regular service provided, as much as I would like to have my Smart Grenade back, I am unwilling to use my one time ever get item back ticket for it.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-05 10:27:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Just so you know, for whatever reason, Smart Grenades CAN be mailed via delivery system. So what i'd do is get a mule to do this quest and mail it over. Sure it'd be a pain in the *** and slightly costly for oils & powders but I think it would be worth not spending that once-per-account recovery call. Save that for something REALLY bad like getting hacked.

Edit: I less than three your Ænima avatar.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-05 10:28:59
Link | Citer | R

I think the once only system is in place to stop it being abused. If people knew they could drop items and get them back everytime it might make people care less about their stuff, resulting in more GM calls.

The way things are, we all fear losing our stuff and are very careful with it. At the end of the day as far as SE is concerned it's bad luck, like being hacked, your unlikely to get much help with it. I'm surprised they even let you use this system of item restore at all lol
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-05 11:56:48
Link | Citer | R

That sucks about your Smart Grenade. SE really needs to fix that...I mean, who the hell would actually wanna throw that? Why didn't they just make it non-throwable right at the beginning when they introduced the item?

I have one too that I roll with pretty much all the time, and I am so paranoid that I'm gonna *** up and toss it.
 Odin.Arnor
Serveur: Odin
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2009-02-05 13:09:23
Link | Citer | R

i dont believe getting hacked counts towards your once in a life time.. but yeah that sucks :x they made bomb core and bomblet non throwable they should do it to that too
 Alexander.Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-02-05 13:46:29
Link | Citer | R

@ Artemicion

Mailing rare/ex item? I would definitely do that, but is that a game exploit that should be reported? LOL - banned over smart grenade exploit.... I don't even know who I should ask if that is okay.

Thanks on avatar comment, I used to have a coded matrix screen one iunno what happened to it though.
 Shiva.Elkira
Serveur: Shiva
user: elkira
By Shiva.Elkira 2009-02-05 13:47:12
Link | Citer | R

i know they have gone and made certain items unthrowable in the past,
but i dont see why the didnt jus save themselve trouble and add a safety console command to the ranged attack?

like idk "/ra holdfire on" or something, disabling your ability to do it, rather them having to set the properties of specific items, you could even do some thing like

/equip ranged weapon + ammo
/ra holdfire off
/ra <st>
/wait X
/equip "super expensive crap you dont want to lose"
/ra holdfire on
 Alexander.Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-02-05 14:01:18
Link | Citer | R

I checked the macro that I threw it from and it is one of my enfeeb bolt macros which is:

/equip ammo "Blind Bolt"
/ra <t>

But without any blind bolts unquivered the first action didn't take, I will definitely write a new set for combat with and without range attack gear, but on war I only use x-bow when soloing

EDIT: I totally missed.... not even the satisfaction of an incredible explosion to accompany a precious item lost :(
 Ramuh.Sugarcat
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Sugarcat
By Ramuh.Sugarcat 2009-02-05 14:11:19
Link | Citer | R

welcome to my club. threw mine 5-6 months ago while farming on a dhalmel in bubu.
 Ramuh.Guffy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Guffy
By Ramuh.Guffy 2009-02-05 14:33:12
Link | Citer | R

I threw my bibiki shell before it was unthrowable and have been missing it, luckily it is like never really used execpt in my chakra set up.

But anyway, to confirm for 100%, using your one time only restore does not stop you from using another after getting hacked. My brother accidently lagged and dropped leaping boots like a year or two ago and used the one time restore to get them back. He was hacked like 4 months ago and was able to get all his stuff back even though he had already used the one time restore. They were very nice and helpful about restoring his stuff after being hacked also.

If I were you.. buy a tipiah sting, it is better anyway.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-02-07 03:50:34
Link | Citer | R

I've lost 2 PPA so far. first one i got back, never bother with the second one. I just think they should make those kind of ammo not throwable/shootable. Didnt they do that with hedgehog bomb? stuff that no1 obviously wanna throw/shoot should only be able to be used together with unlimited shot, just my opinion.
 Garuda.Littledarc
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-07 04:10:07
Link | Citer | R

i think that wasn't restore when he got hacked. that was probably their rollback program. i could be wrong though.

i tossed my brutal earring recently and had a GM tell me that if i did the item recovery it would NOT effect the ability to get my stuff back if hacked.
 Phoenix.Jile
Serveur: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-02-13 15:16:32
Link | Citer | R

Keldewis said:
So, I throw my Smart Grenade in XP party yesterday, and the GM's say they can do a one time replacement of the item, but this can only be done once ever... However if after thoroughly reviewing the circumstances surrounding the situation it would seem to me that this should be regular service provided, as much as I would like to have my Smart Grenade back, I am unwilling to use my one time ever get item back ticket for it.

Yeah, my wife got told the same thing when her account got hacked (months ago, ffxiah had swf banner ad's which uploaded her pw file /sigh.. plz no flames she visits a small handful of websites and ffxiah was the only FF related one :p so was kinda obvious the FFXI-specific-trojan came from the only FF website she was going to lol.. Anyway the ad .swf pulled the trojan and upped her file) she lost a lot of gil and items that the hack gave away (i never did understand why they didnt just npc everything she had for the gil instead of bringing attention to themselves with shouts)... She decided she'd just earn it over again starting from zero gil rather than use her 1-time restore..mainly because they told her her account would be down for a month before she'd be able to use the restored account.

As for throwing items.. I believe a few of them like the Phantom Tathlum were updated to not be throwable (I'm not gonna test it lol). But if they're obviously stat items being placed in the ammo slot SE should disable tossing them away heh
 Midgardsormr.Acropora
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Acropora
By Midgardsormr.Acropora 2009-02-13 15:40:08
Link | Citer | R

Keldewis said:
@ Artemicion

Mailing rare/ex item? I would definitely do that, but is that a game exploit that should be reported? LOL - banned over smart grenade exploit.... I don't even know who I should ask if that is okay.

Thanks on avatar comment, I used to have a coded matrix screen one iunno what happened to it though.

From Wiki:

Note: Even though this item says Rare/Ex, it can currently still be sent to other players via the delivery box. However, you can't trade it, bazaar it, or sell it on the AH.

Idk.. I say, if its there, and they havent fixed it, use it. since you cant sell the item, i dont really see it being an exploit
 Hades.Ganesha
Serveur: Hades
user: Niopha
By Hades.Ganesha 2009-02-13 15:53:50
Link | Citer | R

Zanno said:
I've lost 2 PPA so far. first one i got back, never bother with the second one. I just think they should make those kind of ammo not throwable/shootable. Didnt they do that with hedgehog bomb? stuff that no1 obviously wanna throw/shoot should only be able to be used together with unlimited shot, just my opinion.

PPA not shootable renders it useless anyway...

And yeah, I had a friend that threw their smart grenade a few weeks ago, did quest on mule and sent it themself, so it still works! Just have to do all that running again..
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-02-13 16:06:08
Link | Citer | R

Keldewis said:
@ Artemicion Mailing rare/ex item? I would definitely do that, but is that a game exploit that should be reported? LOL - banned over smart grenade exploit.... I don't even know who I should ask if that is okay.

It's been posted and stated on numerous FFxi websites. SE has been notified about it (I know because I made a comment on it). Hopefully the next update will include my WotG Ranks and the change so you don't throw the grenade like ppl used to throw their eggs.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Serveur: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-13 16:58:00
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Acropora said:
Keldewis said:
@ Artemicion Mailing rare/ex item? I would definitely do that, but is that a game exploit that should be reported? LOL - banned over smart grenade exploit.... I don't even know who I should ask if that is okay. Thanks on avatar comment, I used to have a coded matrix screen one iunno what happened to it though.
From Wiki: Note: Even though this item says Rare/Ex, it can currently still be sent to other players via the delivery box. However, you can't trade it, bazaar it, or sell it on the AH. Idk.. I say, if its there, and they havent fixed it, use it. since you cant sell the item, i dont really see it being an exploit

Wiki says it's RARE/EX. FFXIAH however says it's just RARE.

The key difference is FFXIAH pulls it's info from .dat files, whereas wiki relies on user input, and users see the item as RARE/EX in-game, so Wiki has it as RARE/EX.

So as far as SE is concerned, it's a RARE item and not RARE/EX.

There's no "exploit", it's just a matter of a someone forgetting to change a 0 to a 1 or a 1 to a 0.

The question is, what did SE want to make it? Is it a picture error and they just need to remove the EX from the picture, or is it a item classification error and they need to classifiy it as EX?

This can hardly be called a glitch. Just a bug.
 Asura.Kyjelly
Serveur: Asura
user: Kyjelly
By Asura.Kyjelly 2009-02-13 17:01:50
Link | Citer | R

Guffy said:
I threw my bibiki shell before it was unthrowable and have been missing it, luckily it is like never really used execpt in my chakra set up.

But anyway, to confirm for 100%, using your one time only restore does not stop you from using another after getting hacked. My brother accidently lagged and dropped leaping boots like a year or two ago and used the one time restore to get them back. He was hacked like 4 months ago and was able to get all his stuff back even though he had already used the one time restore. They were very nice and helpful about restoring his stuff after being hacked also.

If I were you.. buy a tipiah sting, it is better anyway.

interesting my buddy was hacked and lost all non rare ex items but was unable to get em back because he previously used his restore. if i remember correctly he tried doing a few gm calls too.
 Diabolos.Daddyx
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Daddyx
By Diabolos.Daddyx 2009-02-13 17:57:02
Link | Citer | R

I read about SE's "one time onry" rule, and the more I read it, the more preposterous it seems that they're able to go by such a policy. Several instances make me really question their business scruples as they were. This is to a lesser extent like calling the police to say you're being robbed and being asked if you'd like to use your "One time only" rescue. Some of the stuff being dropped here is very valuable to the player... if I ever accidentally tossed my Wedding Ring I'd be sick with it...

Celestinia said:
I think the once only system is in place to stop it being abused. If people knew they could drop items and get them back everytime it might make people care less about their stuff, resulting in more GM calls.

That's what they're there for. If GMs don't like being bothered, they should do something dareisay easier, like handing out carts at Wal-Mart or something. SE really has a shoddy customer service system, and it's a shame considering we all love this game enough to shell out for it each month.

I've always wanted to see things actually hit the floor when you drop them, with a limited time that they stay there in case you choose to pick them back up. The graphic could even be cheesy for it like when your chocobo finds something on it's walk.
 Alexander.Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-02-16 10:35:46
Link | Citer | R

@Daddyx - There was a SE PS2 fighting game that had a dungeon explorers mini-game incorporated with it that had a feature where you could drop items and they would be there in a scattered pile, your carry space was limited so I would often drop stuff at the inn room to be used later before I ventured out.

In FF8 I think Rinoah's dog would find stuff for you while you were randomly walking about, closest comparison would be RNG scavenge ability but that is limmited to RA items and arrow/bullet craft materials.

The point I was initially trying to make is that this should be more like a customer satisfaction feature as opposed to an one time only service.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-16 10:50:09
Link | Citer | R

That sounds like this:

<GM> Hello <player> Monk of San'doria. How may I help you?

<Player> Hi, I accidentally threw my smart grenade, can I please get it back. ;;

<GM> I'm sorry to hear that. Well I can do that for you.

<Player> Cool Thanks!!

<GM> But there is a new implemation we have started and you must go find your Smart Grenade.

<Player> What?!? What does that mean I have to find it?? O.o

<GM> Well we decided to bury your item somewhere in all of Van'diel and you have to go and find it.

<Player> ....How am I to find it??

<GM> Easy, I will give you a clue to find it.

<Player> ...What..is there something special I have to do??

<GM> You will get your clue, so please be sure to remember the clue because this is your only opportunity to get it again.

<Player> ....ok..

<GM> Clue: "In a grassy land I lay beneath a rock. Isn't the weather lovely today?" Be sure to write it down to remember.

<Player> That's it???!? WTF! This is my only way to get it?! That clue is ridiculous!

<GM> Please refrain the use of that language or I will have to implement Harrassing charge and confine you in jail.

<Player> ................ fine

<GM> Is there anything else I can help you with today <Player>?

<Player> no...

<GM> Thank you for using the help desk, if you need assistance please call us again. Good day.

----------------------------------------

Now that is what SE will do to us if they wanted us to find our hidden items we accidentally dropped or threw lol
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-16 11:02:31
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm...

Like many games when you drop an item it appears on the ground beneath your character...
I always thought this would have been nice in FFXI tbh.
If you drop an item, it remains on the ground for about two minutes and for about thirty seconds of that, only you can pick it up. Most of the time when you drop a valuable item you realize it right away and the little icon for the item would tip you off even more.

As for throwing things like the smart grenade... I'd say you're just SOL there.
(I did throw my first Fortune egg... Good thing it was an event item and they had it the next year. Stupid first-person view...)