Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Magian Trial question
Magian Trial question
 Gilgamesh.Khaleb
Serveur: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Khaleb
By Gilgamesh.Khaleb 2010-10-07 20:27:32
Link | Citer | R

would the stp weapons or the plus damage % barracudas be worth it? i already have lvl 80 str version. just curious thanks
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-07 23:23:49
Link | Citer | R

no
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-07 23:27:08
Link | Citer | R

Tiger beat me >_>

Might as well hijack this thread with a question~

Is Faith better than respective gorgets for Asuran/Howling/Tornado/Ascetic's? Kinda curious.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-07 23:58:57
Link | Citer | R

Asuran if acc capped, Gorget for any of the other ws', regardless of acc
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-08 00:02:12
Link | Citer | R

What I though, ty Tiger~
 Alexander.Sumo
Serveur: Alexander
user: sumo
By Alexander.Sumo 2010-10-08 01:16:10
Link | Citer | R

I hereby officially nominate Tiger as the foremost Monk expert on FFXIAH.com. I learn something new from this guy everytime I read a monk related forum =P Thank you Tiger for your effort and dedication to the monk job ^.^
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-08 10:22:21
Link | Citer | R

Nah, there are people who know their way around better than I do. I just do what I can in my free time, but thanks anyway.
[+]
 Remora.Meredoc
Serveur: Remora
user: Doc2love
By Remora.Meredoc 2010-10-08 15:14:58
Link | Citer | R

Hijackx2 Post your dream TP builds for MNK thus far.
 Carbuncle.Calem
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Calem
By Carbuncle.Calem 2010-10-18 08:14:45
Link | Citer | R

I'm planning to take MNK up to high levels and make it one of my main jobs, but I'm undecided as to what magian weapon to go for. The trials I've worked on so far for DRG bored me out of my mind so I don't really want to work on too many weapons at once. What I'd like advice on is what would be the best H2H one to get first?

OA2-3 Ursines
- I remember reading a while ago that these + Footwork was the new big thing for MNK. Is this still the case or have other weapons edged ahead of them now? Also, are these any good when not using Footwork?

DA Ursines
- These appeal to me more because I'm a big fan of DA with MNK (always nice to get four punches and a kick in a single attack round). I haven't had a chance to try Footwork for myself yet, but I'm assuming that DA works with this ability? If so, would these be a more suitable option for someone who would rather mix up between H2H and Footwork every now and then?

Taipans
- I'm assuming the STR/Att or Weaken DEF ones are the best options here. They seem much easier to get than Ursines, but are they capable of equalling or coming close to them? I don't want to work on a pair of these only to find out later it's all been a waste of time (I've restarted weapons for my DRG about 2 or 3 times now because I keep changing my mind).

Sorry for the question overload, I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I should be aiming for with MNK without getting bogged down in numbers and formulas that make my head spin. Any advice would be very appreciated.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-18 08:39:08
Link | Citer | R

2-3 ursines will win if you have all 3 pieces of mnk af3+2, if not str/attack or weaken defense will be your best bet. As for DA, they're about equiv to the str/attack and defense down ones (maybe VERY VERY slight increase), and feeds a ***load more of TP, as well as prevents you from getting 2-3 (since they're situational with taipans), since they have the same name, and both weapons are rare/ex
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-18 08:39:20
Link | Citer | R

also 2-3 w/o footwork are worse off than destroyers
 Carbuncle.Calem
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Calem
By Carbuncle.Calem 2010-10-18 09:32:40
Link | Citer | R

Thank you Tiger, that's one less thing in this game I have to worry about now. Gonna do Taipans first while I get some general gear sorted out, then work on 2-3 Ursines along with AF3.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-18 09:42:06
Link | Citer | R

Unless I'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE pretty sure H2H heiarchy is like....

Empyrean>Magnus Stone h2h(ithink, needs stones obv)>Oa3 H2H w/ footwork and AF3+ 2>Spharai>Oa2 pawnch>STR/attk Tapians>others

No idea about Empy-1. Spharai might be up a tier or so. I'm sure they're all pretty close.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-18 09:46:37
Link | Citer | R

Empyrean > Spharai > idk where magnus lies, but they look meh, > others are in right order.

Keep in mind though that's straight up damage when comparing Oa3 footwork and Taipans. With Razed ruins and up to 4k ascetic furies, I'm sure that tips things in punching's favor
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-18 09:50:09
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Empyrean > Spharai > idk where magnus lies, but they look meh, > others are in right order.

Keep in mind though that's straight up damage when comparing Oa3 footwork and Taipans. With Razed ruins and up to 4k ascetic furies, I'm sure that tips things in punching's favor

I think FG mathed the Magnus ones to be good, but realistically who's going to keep up on stones so lol. Yeah, that's true. Acetics fury is really hot :<
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-18 09:53:03
Link | Citer | R

Simple maths

Well assuming 10 fstr

41 is base h2h

51 w/ fstr

91 w/ spharai

61 w/ magnus

91/61 = 49% increase in dmg/hit

So the stones would have to be 50% proc rate to break even on dmg/hit without factoring spharai's 30 attack.

Even w/ the lower delay, have to keep in mind that these do nothing for ws, which is generally 40% of a mnk's dmg.

Not even in the same league as spharai rly
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2010-10-18 23:45:39
Link | Citer | R

Okay, since this turned in to everyone asking Tiger his opinion on which h2h to go with, I might as well take a crack at it.

Monk is my main at the moment and I'm wanting to get serious about a weapon, but at the same time, I don't have the time or means to pull off Empyrean and don't really care to do oa2-3 ursine and fulltime footwork. So my question, which would be better, Taipan +1's with str +8 att +18 or lv85 Spharai. I don't have a problem with farming all the time to get currency for relic as long as I know thats the best one out of my personal options.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-10-18 23:59:18
Link | Citer | R

Spharai
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-19 00:22:25
Link | Citer | R

Spharai are better obviously, but they will take a long time even after getting the lv 75 version. Should get a pair of Taipans to hold you over anyway.

Also, if possible (should take less time than currency + trials), Verethb beat spharai outside of abyssea and inside of abyssea with crit atmas and victory smite, up to a 30% increase.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-19 00:22:53
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Boundsoul said:
Okay, since this turned in to everyone asking Tiger his opinion on which h2h to go with, I might as well take a crack at it.

Monk is my main at the moment and I'm wanting to get serious about a weapon, but at the same time, I don't have the time or means to pull off Empyrean and don't really care to do oa2-3 ursine and fulltime footwork. So my question, which would be better, Taipan +1's with str +8 att +18 or lv85 Spharai. I don't have a problem with farming all the time to get currency for relic as long as I know thats the best one out of my personal options.
Wait, what? Verethragna is way easier to get than Spharai, and yields better DPS by a sizeable margin. This isn't even beginning to get into the time disparity involved... You could complete an Empyrean in the time it takes to do relic trials easily, nevermind the time spent gathering currency beforehand.

If really you have the time and means to get Spharai, you can get Verethragna easily. I love my shellmate's Spharai, but enhanced Counter is not worth the exponentially higher time investment. Do work.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2010-10-19 01:23:31
Link | Citer | R

Usually during the week I only get to play 12-16hrs monday-friday due to work and a new baby. Normally during that scattered time that I am on, I'm normally farming so that on weekends I can do whatever I want without worrying about gil. So by me saying Spharai are easier, I mean buying currency for upgrades and such. Vere's require 50 buds from Chloris which requires all kinds of NM farming to get and due to my schedule I don't have time or people to camp all that. Unless something changed that I missed.

Is it possible to have Vere's and Taipans? In the event that I am persuaded to do Emp weap, I'd like to have something in the meantime. All I have right now are Destroyers.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-19 01:24:30
Link | Citer | R

Yes, you can do both.