Forum » FFXI » General » summoner help
summoner help
 Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: dooms
By Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury 2010-10-07 17:32:11
Link | Citer | R

hey i just lv up my summoner and i need help with what is the best merits for summoner from the grup 1 ty in advance
 Asura.Xenophire
Serveur: Asura
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2010-10-07 17:34:29
Link | Citer | R

As with everything in this game, it's situational. Personally, I did Accuracy and Attack. May unretire SMN and do Attack and Magic Attack, though.

What do you find yourself doing most. Your merit BPs or your level 70 ones? There are some pretty nice new magic ones and I'm sure more come future updates.
 Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury
By Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury 2010-10-07 17:36:57
Link | Citer | R

thank you xeno i lv up my summoner to do nms in abyssea so i dunno for that kind of use what will be the best merit in grup 1
 Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury
By Pandemonium.Doomsdayfury 2010-10-07 18:13:01
Link | Citer | R

bump >.<
 Lakshmi.Maasahn
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: maasahn
By Lakshmi.Maasahn 2010-10-07 18:15:10
Link | Citer | R

i did 5/5 avatar att and 5/5 avatar MAB, group two, i did 5/5 wind blade and 1/5 on the rest of them
 Ramuh.Uttahutta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Uttahutta
By Ramuh.Uttahutta 2010-10-07 18:30:20
Link | Citer | R

Well if your specifically using you smn for abyssea nms I would definately get your 5/5 magic attack. The physical blood pacts such as Predator Claws and the like are too unreliable even with 5/5 physical accuracy and nearly capped summon magic skill, my physical gets resisted alot of the time. How ever my dmg with my magic blood pacts is always consistant and depending on pet tp very decent damage. If your summon magic skill is close to cap then I would say either put the rest in elemental spirit perp or physical attack. If skill is not there yet perhaps do magical accuracy aswell til your skill is capped.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Serveur: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-10-07 18:37:03
Link | Citer | R

I don't like saying the word situational a lot but its absolutely true for 99% of stuff in the game lol

If you plan on putting decent merits into one or 2 group 2 merit BPs, 5/5 MAB is a great choice, but only if you plan on taking that route

IF you have decent skill over cap, then 5/5 physical acc won't help that much since you'll be capping avatar acc against most stuff, especially if you're using evoker's spats and/or relic hands, avatar acc has been tested and appears to cap lower than player hitrate %, somewhere in the 70-80s % iirc. Same applies to magic accuracy, you can get a lot of it just from high amounts of skill over cap.

I started off with 5/5 acc when i first started meriting smn, but gradually took them off and put in physical attack merits, and 5/5 MAB all the way.

Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2010-10-07 18:38:31
Link | Citer | R

I did 5 physicalATT and 5 physicalACC, nowdays though I would use 5 PhysAcc and 5 mag ATT. Magic Acc is quite useless with tones of easy attainable SMNskill+ gear. Could allready get +70Skill in level 75days.
Physical Acc will help you get more TP for your magical Attacks, and it is a notable difference compared to physical Attack merrits. The Situation could change with every update though.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-10-07 18:42:43
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Uttahutta said:
Well if your specifically using you smn for abyssea nms I would definately get your 5/5 magic attack. The physical blood pacts such as Predator Claws and the like are too unreliable even with 5/5 physical accuracy and nearly capped summon magic skill, my physical gets resisted alot of the time. How ever my dmg with my magic blood pacts is always consistant and depending on pet tp very decent damage. If your summon magic skill is close to cap then I would say either put the rest in elemental spirit perp or physical attack. If skill is not there yet perhaps do magical accuracy aswell til your skill is capped.

Very true, because i decided to work on merited BPs (5/5 wind blade and thunderstorm) with MAB merits and gear, it makes me incredibly versatile being able to deal both types of dmg without the magic side being gimpy.

Against higher level NMs than yourself you'll often find magic BPs doing much better than the lv70 ones, and they're much better for kiting solo or when you have to keep distance, because you can use them at range instead of requiring your avatar to be right next to the mob to execute them
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-07 18:48:26
Link | Citer | R

I personally went 5/5 Physical Accuracy, 5/5 Magical Attack, 5/5 Grand fall, and 5/5 Wind blade.

I has 0 regrets thus far.
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-10-07 19:17:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm a shiva ***.
Prep-6 staff (not finished)
Pet:Matk+11 staff (not finished)
Merits: 5/5 Macc, Matk 5/5 Heavenly Strike
[+]
 Fenrir.Vausabant
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Vausabant
By Fenrir.Vausabant 2010-10-07 19:28:26
Link | Citer | R

I havent finished my smn merits but doing 5/5 phy acc (if you miss one hit on pclaw you know how much it hurts) 5/5 mab (generally pet mab is harder to come by vs skill gear) 5/5 thunderstorm rest at 1, as mentioned above ffxi = situational
By Jabel 2010-10-08 01:59:09
Link | Citer | R

For me it was like this:
4 Phy Acc
1 Phy Att
3 Mag Acc
2 Mag Att

I figured the majority of the time I am having the avatar fight and build TP, using magic every so often. If the physical att misses I get no TP for adding to the dmg of many magic attacks.

My .02 anyway
[+]
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-10-08 02:50:05
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
I'm a shiva ***. Prep-6 staff (not finished) Pet:Matk+11 staff (not finished) Merits: 5/5 Macc, Matk 5/5 Heavenly Strike
PERP dammit PERP!!!!

lol sorry its not PREP cost.. PERPetuation... :X
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hiku
user: squirrel
By Lakshmi.Hiku 2010-10-08 03:08:13
Link | Citer | R

While probably not the best choice as far as a DD SMN goes, I personally meritted 5/5 Phys. Acc. and 5/5 Mag. Acc. I dont have alot of skill gear to use for BP, and no Summoning Magic Merits since I did 8/8 enfeeb and 8/8 elemental. I figured I'd rather do a lesser, but more consistent BP and land it, than to do more dmg spikes but less consistent dmg.

^ Of course, this was done at 75. now that cap is 85 I may reconsider them depending how evasive mobs get in Abyssea.

For tier 2, I chose 5/5 Wind Blade, with 1 point into all other BPs; and now with "Caller's Pendant" I can manage 300tp Wind Blades fairly easily, and within the allotted time to BP spam. Though again, with avatar meleeing and alternating between physical BP (using none of the Avatars TP) and Magic BP (consumes TP with use) you can hit full 300tp merit BP's with much less difficulty and time than before, so multiple merits helps but isnt required for any particular avatar.

^ Above requires that you actually obtain the gear piece though.

Just my bit on this topic, sorry for the wall of text ^^; happy summoning

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-10-08 11:01:11
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Just wanted to post that you should never merit avatar attack as it is useless.

Saw some people said they did it and I just wanted to warn you.

Situational. 5/5 physical acc or magic acc is also useless if you have the gear and skill+ to cap hitrate % on most mobs, theres a point where stacking more acc does nothing so better to increase your chance of increasing the maximum dmg you can do then no?

Right now I have 2/5 physical acc and 3/5 physical attack for a nice balance.

And for those who don't know, "enhances avatar accuracy" on AF legs and relic hands is a whopping +14 acc each, making +28 melee acc and with the relic hands summoning magic +10 adds another +10 acc on BPs (assuming you have capped skill)
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-08 11:10:08
Link | Citer | R

I did physical attack and accuracy. Mostly because all I do is Predator Claws in abyssea and it does insane damage. Even the ones that only land a few hits still do 700-1k.

Don't really have a reason to do the magical ones when the physical are doing upwards of 3k damage.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-10-08 11:19:48
Link | Citer | R

Ah that's good to know, another reason for me to get garland of bliss then :P