Who Else Likes The Blocking System?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Classes » Gladiator » Who else likes the blocking system?
Who else likes the blocking system?
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2010-10-07 06:33:16
Link | Citer | R

I find it quite interesting, having to actually raise your shield. brings a bit of realism i suppose. plus its 100% partial to full block? seems like a good trade off to me, instead of getting random blocks when you don't need them.

leveling up shield on the other hand, is going to be an issue. i'm level 9 gladiator, and level 2 sentinel ; ;
 Phoenix.Katori
Serveur: Phoenix
user: agroyboy
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-10-07 07:21:23
Link | Citer | R

yea just hope you dont lag out when your shield is down. lol but for some reason when i lag i can always get it back up
 Lakshmi.Wired
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Azariah
By Lakshmi.Wired 2010-10-18 14:00:07
Link | Citer | R

I really hate the blocking system.

I mean. If I am holding a shield, I should always have a chance to "Block" something.

The system should be changed to where if you have a shield equiped you can block at a certain % with no down side. If I raise my shield, my Atk goes down by a slight percent, but my block+ goes up drastically.

Example
Shield A (Some Lowbee shield)
+10 Block
Guard: +20

Shield B (Higher Level Shield)
+30 Block
Guard: +50 Block

I donno, just my 2 cents. The current system makes is almost impossible to level sent as a glad and even harder if you are using it as an off hand for a DoM.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-18 14:04:39
Link | Citer | R

I'm currently GLD14 and Sentinel is only 9 :( I see long days of shield skillups on the horizon.

I've been doing Levequests on solo difficulty and getting Guardians Aspect for the increased rate of skillups. Just blocking mobs until I cap shield before killing them. Having Cure/Sacrifice/Stygian Spikes are a plus for this method.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-18 14:07:28
Link | Citer | R

My problem with the blocking system is how short the block is. Having to re-raise my shield every 5-10 seconds is really bizarre, especially given how laggy combat is right now.

Let me raise my shield and keep it up until I decide to lower it. If you want to apply some kind of stamina penalty or other reason not to keep it up 100% of the time that's fine, but don't make me spam click "block" between every few swings just to keep it up when I want it up.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-10-18 14:11:19
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
My problem with the blocking system is how short the block is. Having to re-raise my shield every 5-10 seconds is really bizarre, especially given how laggy combat is right now.

Let me raise my shield and keep it up until I decide to lower it. If you want to apply some kind of stamina penalty or other reason not to keep it up 100% of the time that's fine, but don't make me spam click "block" between every few swings just to keep it up when I want it up.

/raises shield....

/shield drops

/gets hit in the face

/ffffffffffffffffffff
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-18 14:12:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

/raises shield....

/shield drops

/gets hit in the face

/ffffffffffffffffffff
kinda defeats the purpose of using a shield if you have to lower it every five seconds
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-10-18 14:16:34
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of gladiator stuff, is Provoke as borked for you guys as it is for me?

It's like the client and server majorly disagree on when the cooldown has expired. My client will say it's ready, but the server won't let me use it unless I wait an additional 5-10 seconds. It's really frustrating.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-10-18 14:32:21
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

/raises shield....

/shield drops

/gets hit in the face

/ffffffffffffffffffff
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Canada why you gotta go make fun of me playing Gladiator like this.

I def had the shield problems. but my provoke worked. i just have -100000000000 acc on phalanx
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-10-18 14:38:08
Link | Citer | R

Using Stamina when im casting a spell is annoying since its all ready using up MP. Having to go in Combat stance as a mage is sooo annoying aaaaaaaaaaand having to face the mob/pt member to cast something is /RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Being a mage in FFXIV is pretty annoying in general

Uri uses Phalanx /MISS /MISS /MISS /EVADE

/Cast Fire
Defeats dodo

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-18 15:01:32
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Being any class in FFXIV is pretty annoying in general
FTFY
[+]
 Sylph.Belmonth
Serveur: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-10-18 15:02:51
Link | Citer | R

It's easy tbh once you figure it out, if you hit guard again before the shield goes down it will delay and you'll get the "Readying..." message, also there are abilities that increase the time you have have your shield up, I think the first one increases the time by 50%
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-10-18 15:40:31
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Belmonth said:
It's easy tbh once you figure it out, if you hit guard again before the shield goes down it will delay and you'll get the "Readying..." message, also there are abilities that increase the time you have have your shield up, I think the first one increases the time by 50%
Yeah idc how much i tried to time it and spammed gaurd it always dropped and in the .5 second gap i'd get smacked in the face.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-10-18 15:41:58
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Urial said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Yeah idc how much i tried to time it and spammed gaurd it always dropped and in the .5 second gap i'd get smacked in the face.

dodos might not be the best test subject

CMON HIT ME

/cast slow

HIT MEEE

/cast sum other dump thing

HITTT MEEEEEEEEEEE /RAAA-Guard drops

/smacks u in the face
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-10-18 15:43:22
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

dodos might not be the best test subject

CMON HIT ME

/cast slow

HIT MEEE

/cast sum other dump thing

HITTT MEEEEEEEEEEE /RAAA-Guard drops

/smacks u in the face

THEY WAIT FOR TEH SHIELD TO DROP I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-10-18 15:46:29
Link | Citer | R

:P
 Lakshmi.Wired
By Lakshmi.Wired 2010-10-18 15:50:36
Link | Citer | R

It is very annoying!

I wish it was a toggle or something. like Cost X stam to raise it and X stam to lower it. (Not a lot of stam, just something so it doesn't get abused. IE UP, BLOCK, DOWN, MOVE, UP, BLOCK, DOWN, MOVE)

With Guard up, we get +Def -Atk
With Guard down, stats are normal.
 Ifrit.Showmo
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2010-10-18 20:56:46
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Speaking of gladiator stuff, is Provoke as borked for you guys as it is for me?

It's like the client and server majorly disagree on when the cooldown has expired. My client will say it's ready, but the server won't let me use it unless I wait an additional 5-10 seconds. It's really frustrating.
This happens to me a lot for most, if not all of my abilities/weapon skills/etc. when I try to use them right after the cooldown says it's ready for reuse. It does get really annoying, and it would be nice if the server would put them on queue instead of outright rejecting the commands so you don't have to mash the button 5 times to get it to work.
 Lakshmi.Wired
By Lakshmi.Wired 2010-10-19 06:51:51
Link | Citer | R

I really wish they would make it so every action wasn't checked by the server.

Why does it matter if the server knows we are looking at our map, our inventory, selecting a leve and getting ready to craft (outside of the last confirm button). Just silly and crippling to the game.
 Phoenix.Katori
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-10-19 07:08:13
Link | Citer | R

yea im 23 gla 10 shield. buit last few lvl's i havent put shield up i just attack and try to get more skill up's.

anyone else have this problem once i voke a mage cast cure boom all hate is gone. they need to give gla little more hate or down grade other hate ability. because it's stupid if were the tank why do i have to try so hard to keep hate.

and just so you know para dagger works at 23 :)
 Ifrit.Showmo
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2010-10-19 07:50:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Katori said:
anyone else have this problem once i voke a mage cast cure boom all hate is gone. they need to give gla little more hate or down grade other hate ability. because it's stupid if were the tank why do i have to try so hard to keep hate.
Are you opening the fights with Provoke or Taunt? I'm not sure if it's either glitched or intended, but for some reason any ability/action/spell/weapon skill you use to claim an enemy generates 0 enmity. All it will do is put you on the hate list with no initial enmity value. Any actions after that will give you the appropriate enmity values.

Simply put, if you open/claim with Provoke, it does nothing but claim the mob. You'll start the fight with no real enmity and a wasted Provoke. It's better to open with a standard attack first to claim, then Provoke.

The information was tested & confirmed on the Blue Gartr by Celeras: Threat Mechanics for dummies
 Phoenix.Katori
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-10-19 08:20:34
Link | Citer | R

yes i open the fight with voke then dd or mage does spell all hate gone.

ok thanks i was worrying why wasnt working.
 Sylph.Belmonth
Serveur: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-10-19 09:04:01
Link | Citer | R

I usually open with light slash, then use provoke and taunt, and continue to use heavyslash a few more turns, then phalanx everytime I get hit with my shield up.

Then for multiple targets, I go in first, rotate heavy slash btw the targets and alternating provoke and taunt, and use circle slash when I can or even hit. I usually use the latest when someone hits the wrong mob >_>
By deadfire 2010-10-26 15:32:49
Link | Citer | R

The problem with having shield up. It decreases your chances of getting SP on your main hand. Self-Preservation really rocks and less stressful with that trait putting shield up. Heavy Slash is a great way to keep hate but sucks if you miss lol.

Aegis Boon is probably the funniest thing to ever use. Get some good hate and use it and the mob will completely stare at you till it comes off.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-26 17:06:36
Link | Citer | R

deadfire said:
Aegis Boon is probably the funniest thing to ever use. Get some good hate and use it and the mob will completely stare at you till it comes off.
The mob is still hitting you. Look at your HP while the mob is just "staring" at you to verify you are in fact gaining HP. Also, you can use Sentinel after your HP rises proving that you blocked the hit.
By deadfire 2010-10-26 17:58:41
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
deadfire said:
The mob is still hitting you. Look at your HP while the mob is just "staring" at you to verify you are in fact gaining HP. Also, you can use Sentinel after your HP rises proving that you blocked the hit.

Hmm never really noticed that but I not sure if I actually see that either. For humanoids I can take 0 damage from them using the Iron Scutum.