Shadow Tanking?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shadow Tanking?
Shadow Tanking?
First Page 2 3 4
By Tedril 2010-09-27 13:32:00
Link | Citer | R

Me and my RL FFXI freinds have been talking alot about the future of tanking and how it is going to fair... Alot of people have different ideas on tanking, mosty popular is shadow tanking. Everywhere but abyssea there is a buzz of shadow tanking all over the place. Ninja this ninja that? What happened to Paladins taking damage? Look at the Empyrean aromor for PLDs, I see nothing about shadows on there, and the nin armor says nothing about tanking on there... The thing is this, these updates are reminding us of a fact, Paladins not ninja or /ninja are tanks. Am I imagining this or what?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-09-27 13:36:57
Link | Citer | R

Tedril said:
Me and my RL FFXI freinds have been talking alot about the future of tanking and how it is going to fair... Alot of people have different ideas on tanking, mosty popular is shadow tanking. Everywhere but abyssea there is a buzz of shadow tanking all over the place. Ninja this ninja that? What happened to Paladins taking damage? Look at the Empyrean aromor for PLDs, I see nothing about shadows on there, and the nin armor says nothing about tanking on there... The thing is this, these updates are reminding us of a fact, Paladins not ninja or /ninja are tanks. Am I imagining this or what?

while they are adding a lot of -dmg taken gear to pld its still stupid to tank with your face when you lose a tiny bit of enmity having a shadow take hits for you

and ninja is most definitely not a "zone boss" tank and the only thing you need a pld for is the "zone bosses"
[+]
By Tedril 2010-09-27 13:38:36
Link | Citer | R

Zone boss? You mean like tough NMs and things? And yes I agree /nin will have its uses but as an overall /nin is not the end all be all...
 Phoenix.Airbag
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-09-27 13:39:09
Link | Citer | R

Tedril said:
Zone boss? You mean like tough NMs and things? And yes I agree /nin will have its uses but as an overall /nin is not the end all be all...

talking about abyssea since thats all this game is now
By Tedril 2010-09-27 13:40:19
Link | Citer | R

Yes very true, my friend has said he has seen a picture of something that he refered to as "the next absolute virtue", any idea what he might be refering too?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 16:00:17
Link | Citer | R

did we timewarp back to 2005 when i wasn't looking
[+]
 Phoenix.Degs
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-09-27 16:15:35
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
at least
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-27 16:31:26
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Degs said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
at least

PALADIN CAN SUB NINJA!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

BUT WAT WILL I DO WITHOUT PROVOKE THO
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-09-27 16:46:01
Link | Citer | R

You need PLD for zone bosses? .
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-27 16:48:30
Link | Citer | R

Tedril said:
and the nin armor says nothing about tanking on there... The thing is this, these updates are reminding us of a fact, Paladins not ninja or /ninja are tanks. Am I imagining this or what?

how does nin AF3+2 have "nothing about tanking" it has both enhance utsusemi, massive enhance DW for more hits/more hate... and enhances Yonin...which is a tanking JA.... sir plz tell me who your dealer is, cuz he obviously has the good ***lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-09-27 16:51:42
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
massive enhance DW for more hits/more tp spam
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-27 17:01:04
Link | Citer | R

nin has way too much subtle blow for that to really be a factor...yes it obviously depends on the NM/HNM, but not really in ninja's case
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 17:07:42
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Tedril said:
and the nin armor says nothing about tanking on there... The thing is this, these updates are reminding us of a fact, Paladins not ninja or /ninja are tanks. Am I imagining this or what?

how does nin AF3+2 have "nothing about tanking" it has both enhance utsusemi, massive enhance DW for more hits/more hate... and enhances Yonin...which is a tanking JA.... sir plz tell me who your dealer is, cuz he obviously has the good ***lol
Besides the fact it's missing Evasion, Enmity, PDT, MDT, MDB, AGI, VIT, HP etc? Nin Is nothing more than Lowman tank/Solo, all fail. I guess you could say they can DD but yeah, no. I miss /drk.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-27 17:17:03
Link | Citer | R

evasion and enmity, you'd think would be included in the "enhance yonin" piece... and more shadows kinda equals more evasion... And if you think nin can't DD, you should see one full timing innin, when not main tanking
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 17:23:27
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
evasion and enmity, you'd think would be included in the "enhance yonin" piece... and more shadows kinda equals more evasion... And if you think nin can't DD, you should see one full timing innin, when not main tanking
Possibly, but probably not game breaking since NIN still lacks the ability to gain hate since bind and sleep nerf. Innin is great but chances are if you're not tanking noone is, so you never really get the full potential. Maybe if the enhance innin piece takes off the need to be behind the mob nin can DD with Innin.
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-27 17:30:58
Link | Citer | R

I would think it's a wait-and-see...to see exactly how often the "occasionally absorbs damage taken" procs on the Creed +2 set. If it is a decent rate, that and a Shadow Mantle/Ring combo would effectively absorb a lot of damage without enmity loss, and the Creed Collar and any other to-be-introduced similar pieces would limit the enmity loss of damage that does get through (let alone whatever the Creed hands +2 and body +2 do.)

Whether this "enmity-retaining absorption defense" will allow for any subjob other than /NIN will remain to be seen. So maybe the definitive answer is "too early to tell." :p At the very least, SE is obviously currently encouraging the /NIN subjob with the +% haste on the Creed legs and feet (for shadow/flash recasts.)
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-27 17:34:48
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Tedril said:

This won the internets for me.

I am ninja main and not only working on Emp armor to +2 for all 3 currently released pieces, but Kannagi is my current weapon goal as well.

I've been tanking ***for a very long time now and NO PIECE OF GEAR FOR NINJA has given us every stat we could need in one piece of gear to not only maintain hate DDing but the haste on the pieces makes hitting 25% very possible without trying (no v or speed belt needed, swift will do) plus gear that ENHANCES my favorite job ability Yonin.

Ninja and PLD still have their uses but PLD/NIN was ENDGAME KING for a while now and still is, unless its abyssea and with that your better off with rdm/drks and nins tanking the zone bosses imo.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-27 17:39:03
Link | Citer | R

sam/nin you say....

this i would like to see.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-27 17:40:08
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
nin has way too much subtle blow for that to really be a factor...yes it obviously depends on the NM/HNM, but not really in ninja's case

plus the ninjutsu to reduce enemy tp gain from our hits....
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-09-27 17:42:27
Link | Citer | R

The amount of Derps this thread has it sad
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-09-27 17:42:39
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I guess you could tank on sam/nin if you never use hasso and use seigan for emergencies? I'd still take a NIN, as long as they aren't the NINs who think NIN tanks in DD gear all the time.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-27 17:44:21
Link | Citer | R

Sam/nin is a pretty good tank actually. If you know what you're doing, that is...
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-28 12:33:12
Link | Citer | R

MNK >>> All

[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-28 12:46:40
Link | Citer | R

OP is like 4 years too late with this post :P
 Phoenix.Lithical
By Phoenix.Lithical 2010-09-28 12:52:09
Link | Citer | R

MNK tanks ftw imo, my friend is a Hume and with just one HP atma (has abyssite that increases cruor buff too) he has 3,000 HP. Makes for a VERY nice NM duoing partner. I'm actually such a fan of MNK tanks that I decided to start leveling MNK :D

(That and it looks really fun to DD too obviously)
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-09-28 13:11:22
Link | Citer | R

galka mnk~ mmmm insane hp
 Cerberus.Sanngetall
user: backus
By Cerberus.Sanngetall 2010-09-28 13:42:54
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Tedril said:

while they are adding a lot of -dmg taken gear to pld its still stupid to tank with your face when you lose a tiny bit of enmity having a shadow take hits for you

and ninja is most definitely not a "zone boss" tank and the only thing you need a pld for is the "zone bosses"

Did we forget that /nin u first of all have one less shadow from Ni, and with each shadow that gets TAKEN away, u lose a bit of enmity. so thats no different from a pld/war gettin wacked on. but then again if u have ure pld going /war, its already been thought to bring a brd with minne4,5 and stacking pdt-. In essence then the pld is takin hardly any damage, most of the time 0 damage. Thust losing no enmity. But i will agree some fights u need to be /nin, but no reasons pld/war should be left out.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-28 13:54:05
Link | Citer | R

Because a monk/other job can't swap into PDT gear when his shadows are gone? Less healing MP sponging for mages and more damage to hold hate.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4