Aeolian Edge

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Aeolian Edge
Aeolian Edge
By yunalaysca 2010-09-24 07:16:38
Link | Citer | R

um k, im thinking about making a mab/int set for this ws to see if it's worth while.

before i do so, has anyone else done so? and if so is it worthwhile?
By BorealisV2 2010-09-24 07:59:22
Link | Citer | R

I've *** around with it in Abyssea but it didn't really stand out, even with double INT/Mab Atma. Stick With DE/PK.
[+]
 Cerberus.Dazzzz
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Dazz
By Cerberus.Dazzzz 2010-09-30 08:38:29
Link | Citer | R

This should be post on other place i think cause not only dnc can use this.
But that's a good topic idea yuna like always.

I would try to put some infos about it but i don't have blm leveled so not much items to test this.

I ll try to do this soon with what i can find or borrow.

Peace
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-09-30 09:23:08
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Dazzzz said:
This should be post on other place i think cause not only dnc can use this.
But that's a good topic idea yuna like always.

I would try to put some infos about it but i don't have blm leveled so not much items to test this.

I ll try to do this soon with what i can find or borrow.

Peace

Yea, THF can use this WS as well, I think it falls in line with all of the Dagger-class jobs that can reach the dagger skill leavel req.

In response to the OP, It's pretty much a glorified Cyclone. It's no good for anything more than AoE dmg.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-30 09:44:07
Link | Citer | R

Lies, With a right build it can be very effective.

Even as a THF with literally 0 MAB Gear, in Abyssea + Ascetic's Drink and no atma buffs i can do nearly ~700 Damage.

With the right Atma, Ascetics, and a decent build i could see this consistently doing over 1k~1.1k Damage, and being able to bust out that damage on high Defense mobs is nothing to scoff off.

It has potential, You just need to see it, It certainly will not replace DE/EV on every mob, especially Exp Mobs where their defense is not all that troubling, but on Abyssea NMs it can do some surprising numbers with the right buffs.

Violet + MAB Atma (Beyond or Mab/WindMAB seems best) i bet you could pump this to ~800 without any help from armor.

Its definitely leagues ahead of Cyclone though.

Again, Won't replace DE/EV on nearly every mob, infact its uses are low, but it has them, and like any magical WS it shines brightest on high Defense mobs/High Evasion mobs.

Edit: As for worth it? Depends on how much your sacrificing, and it depends on how much you'll spend, and how often you'll be fighting mobs it'd be effective on.

Edit2: It did receive a buff last update, so it is slightly better too, much higher accuracy as well. Admittedly i'd be infinitely more interested to see how BLM or RDM Could get this damage going. With their natural MAB traits, it could reach some scary numbers if my gimp THF no-MAB build is anything to show for it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-09-30 09:48:07
Link | Citer | R

I've been using it lately in Campaign in tight situations, with the large mob count around the fortresses sometimes I can get 4-5 different hits in and more exp/AN for the AE as opposed to DE.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-30 09:52:32
Link | Citer | R

I know this is probably dipping into the Insanes, but the MAB+9/INT+8 Kila's would make a good weapon for this. Wish i knew its base naked damage i could calculate exactly how high it could get...
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2010-09-30 13:29:35
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
I know this is probably dipping into the Insanes, but the MAB+9/INT+8 Kila's would make a good weapon for this. Wish i knew its base naked damage i could calculate exactly how high it could get...
I kind of like the idea of trying this, even if it'd be kinda a waste of time. The trials aren't too bad though, especially since you get 5 points for an ice weather kill, and ice weather is easy to find.

I'm still working on a few other weapons (finishing my ws%, oat, str and dex daggers, and then I'm part way through my thunder staff). I could see 2 int daggers being fun for this and for bloody bolts (16 int might not be a big differnece at that level though, and don't know if MAB affects them, assuming not. Which reminds me, I meant to check bloodies with Hollow Earring, since it supposedly affects drain samba... /derail)
By yunalaysca 2010-09-30 13:33:37
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Tragedie said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
I kind of like the idea of trying this, even if it'd be kinda a waste of time. The trials aren't too bad though, especially since you get 5 points for an ice weather kill, and ice weather is easy to find.

I'm still working on a few other weapons (finishing my ws%, oat, str and dex daggers, and then I'm part way through my thunder staff). I could see 2 int daggers being fun for this and for bloody bolts (16 int might not be a big differnece at that level though, and don't know if MAB affects them, assuming not. Which reminds me, I meant to check bloodies with Hollow Earring, since it supposedly affects drain samba... /derail)
doesnt affect "additional affects"

also yeah i found this at it's base really useful last night when i was doing the bunny nm in attohwa, de/ev was doing incredibly shitty dmg while aeloian edge was proving quite useful.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [123 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-01-31 07:58:26
Link | Citer | R

I figured I'd necro this thread now that it has been a few months and we all have access to atma/gear that we didn't have before.

DNC/SAM
Atma of Gales, Ultimate, Baying Moon (PW's would be better).
The Knives are backwards, and I'm currently using the OA2-3. I recognize that I need Denali Kecks, but it's hard to get people to do outdated content and I'd rather put my friend-cred towards things like Epona's and AF3+2 hands. The Demon's rings are augmented with MAB+3 from my time spent in Tahrongi.

1500-2000 damage (1200-1300 with Sekka because TP bonus doesn't apply). I did over 100 lizards per hour in Konschtat (building towards the OA2-4), mostly Edging without support. 8-12 at a time, maybe 15 if I could burn a Fanatic's. It took 3 WSs initially to kill them, but once they leveled up to EM it took 4.

300 TP, 5 Finishing moves, ride evasion gear whenever you aren't actually using AE.

Fan Dance, run around hitting things in the case of these cursed non-linking lizards (seriously wtf Konschtat). When you have a big enough crowd:
Sekka -> AE -> Waltz 5 -> AE -> Reverse Flourish -> AE -> Meditate/No Foot Rise/Presto Step -> Waltz 5 -> Reverse Flourish -> AE -> stragglers/resisters get one more AE at your convenience.

This combination is total overkill for the EPs that you start with, but it's necessary for the EMs that they eventually become.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-31 08:00:22
Link | Citer | R

Your MAB is getting high enough where tp bonus atma might start getting better.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-01-31 08:41:01
Link | Citer | R

baying moon will do more for you then ultimate will if you plan on replacing one with PW or a TP bonus atma for better results. Don't forget your basically off handing a lvl 50 dagger on lvl 80+ mobs.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-31 09:03:16
Link | Citer | R

If you mean the attack on it... the vast majority of your dmg is coming from the magical ws and martial knife is high enough base dmg you shouldn't be hitting for 0 burning xp mobs and a little attack wont prevent that lol
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-01-31 09:29:51
Link | Citer | R

Well, with Martial Knife and Soil belt I have an fTP of 3.6. If I use the TP Bonus Atma (to give me 300TP per WS), I get an fTP of 4.1. So that's a 13-14% damage bonus (4.1/3.6). I confirmed the fTP at 100/200/300 before buying Martial Knife.

With Ultimate (50 MAB) and gear (8+7+6+3+3=27MAB), Baying Moon (30MAB) offers a 17% damage bonus (207/177). It is close, but Baying Moon wins. I would need about 230 MAB for Baying Moon to not win.

I think the most competitive Atma (which I intend to try at some point) would be Sippoy's Atma of the would-be King. I don't know how much the TP bonus is, but it's an interesting combination of a few things.

I didn't parse a single 0-damage hit, so I'm not worried about that at all. Also, the monsters I was Aeolian Edging maxed out at EM (in Konschtat).
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 09:37:10
Link | Citer | R

Smiting blow if you're looking for tp bonus atma, it's +100
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-01-31 09:49:10
Link | Citer | R

herp derp mixed up ultimate and beyond. Would-be king has an extremely low tp bonus when they where testing it on bg, wiki says 20-40 and that sounds about right so I don't seeing it outshine the others. Smiting blow has superior TP bonus, no idea how much that is though, but offers nothing else for one handed weapons.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-31 10:00:33
Link | Citer | R

I meant you will be getting there soon maybe
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-01-31 10:03:45
Link | Citer | R

Does martial weapons work offhand? I always thought they didnt (unless the ffxiah set put weapons in wrong hands >.>)
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-01-31 10:04:40
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
Does martial weapons work offhand? I always thought they didnt (unless the ffxiah set put weapons in wrong hands >.>)
They don't.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-01-31 10:05:40
Link | Citer | R

Newsflash:
You can't control which knife goes in the main hand, short of deleting and re-adding things until the order happens to be correct.
I obviously don't offhand a Martial weapon.

Also, Smiting Blow is +100 TP Bonus, but still not better than Baying Moon with my setup. If I used an MAB dagger mainhand instead of Martial Knife, Smiting Blow would be better than Baying Moon, but I'd do worse damage overall (200 TP and 30 MAB vs. 200 TP, 10 MAB, and 9 INT).
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-01-31 10:08:05
Link | Citer | R

Srsly, guys, if you see a Martial weapon in someone's set, assume it's in main hand or GTFO.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-01-31 10:10:50
Link | Citer | R

There, I flipped it so people won't be confused anymore. I just added Martial Knives and Parazonium +2s until the order was correct, then deleted the spares. Interesting trick for the future I guess. Time to go change all my sets where I'm offhanding Twashtar.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-01-31 10:10:57
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Newsflash:

Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
(unless the ffxiah set put weapons in wrong hands >.>)

Assumed, but you know what assuming does... Besides have you seen half of the players on FFXI these days? ^_^
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-31 10:37:52
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I've definitely seen people offhand martial weapons. Heck I've seen some really weird gear choices I mean while fighting not town gear