Some Networking Questions, For Those In The Know...

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Some networking questions, for those in the know...
Some networking questions, for those in the know...
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-31 14:28:01
Link | Citer | R

Given the recent thread about networking and such, I had a question that some of you may be able to answer.

Ok, first off let me give some background so we're all on the same page:

I recently received my second Xbox 360 back from Microsoft (long story, but I have 2 360's now). My main one is hard wired to my router in the living room (Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware), the one I just got back is currently hooked up in my bedroom. For 2 player Xbox Live purposes, I wanna get the Xbox in my bedroom connected to the internet, but for "being a broke ***" purposes, I don't wanna have to spend the money on an Xbox wireless adaptor.

I have a second wireless router, a Belkin A+G (can't remember model number, it's buried in my closet, but it's brand new in the shrink wrap) I bought way back as an upgrade to my Linksys, before I realized the A+G cards are like NEVER SOLD ANYMORE (irritating) but I digress...

What I would like to do is set up the Belkin to serve as an access point to the Linksys, for two purposes. First, my wireless signal in my bedroom gets kind of spotty at random times, even with the power boosted via the Tomato firmware (side note, if you can use it, I HIGHLY recommend Tomato, it's awesome, and quite an improvement over the standard firmware). I figure setting up the second router will help repeat the signal since it'll be like 2 feet away from my (wireless connected) PC. Second, I would like to run the Xbox 360 into it hard wired and connect to the outside world that way, and thus save myself from having to buy the wireless adapter.

I have never set up a router to act exclusively in conjunction with another one, so any suggestions as far as that goes are much appreciated. Also, does setting a wireless router up as an Access Point preclude me using the physical ethernet ports in said router and connecting the 360 that way? Are my Linksys and Belkin going to play nice together? Is it even worth it to do this? And, if by some miracle this can be done and works well, for port forwarding purposes (I set up static IPs and port forwards for all my devices), would I need to set up port forwards on BOTH routers, or only the main (Linksys) router...

Thanks for any insight/help ^^
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-31 14:43:45
Link | Citer | R

I'm tired, I've had a quick glance over it and it sounds to me like you're using a similar setup to what I have.

I have, Internet connected to Router1

Router1
-> Dad's PC
-> Brother's PC
-> Wireless thing
-> Router2

Router2 sits in my bedroom and serves Interweb for my PS3, PC1, PC2, Laptop and other brother's PC.

All I did was connect a standard Ethernet cable between Router1 and Router2 and set Router1 as the default gateway on my other PC's/PS3. Works fine for me.

Again.. I'm hoping I understood that right >.> I'll prolly look at it in a couple days when I'm not at work and be like "wow.. I was way off"

Anyway,

Good luck =P Hope you get it sorted.
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-31 15:23:30
Link | Citer | R

Hardwiring the Belkin to the Linksys is not an option, I would need like a 150 foot cable unless I want it laying across the floor for my drunken friends to trip on, or my dog to eat.

Here's what I'd like to try and do:

User submitted image