Forum » FFXI » General » POL Won't Start!! Help Q.Q
POL Won't Start!! Help Q.Q
 Pandemonium.Daxia
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-30 22:44:14
Link | Citer | R

I've recently got a new laptop an "Advent 5302" with "Windows Vista Home Premium" on it...

I've downloaded PoL, FFXI and the expansions with no problem. When I try to Open PoL it says:

"PlayOnline View has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if there is a solution available."

Well.. Window's doesnt notify me.

I've been looking around trying to find help but I can't seem to find anything..

Any suggestions?

(I have Windows Vista HP on my PC and play FFXI comfortably, never encountered this problem there)
 Cerberus.Oric
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-01-30 22:57:07
Link | Citer | R

I had this same problem... Go to playonline.com, you have to download the vista compatible version of POL. Also, your FFXIconfig will not work either if i am correct. You will need to update FFXI after downloading the vista version of POL for it to work.
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-30 22:58:33
Link | Citer | R

Ok thanks I'ma try this!
 Garuda.Mochaccino
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Mochaccino 2009-01-30 22:59:26
Link | Citer | R

I partially remember there being a patch you have to download for this because i've had the same issue before but i think this link may help...though its been a while

http:/
/www.playonline.com/homeus/headline/news01.html#ff11
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-30 23:11:45
Link | Citer | R

Ok.. so I read PoL's suggestions.. Uninstalled PoL, downloaded their version, same problem.

I'll uninstall everything to do with FFXI and start from scratch.

x.x this game is time consuming before I've even started playing!
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-31 00:04:36
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Windows Vista is very picky when it comes to how applications are allowed to run. I remember my friend having a similar issue with FFXI on vista and managed to get it to work by right clicking POL, going to properties and finding a tab to click that says something along the lines of "Run application as administrator". Hope this helps.
 Cerberus.Toabea
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Toabea
By Cerberus.Toabea 2009-01-31 05:12:50
Link | Citer | R

The "Run as Administrator" option should fix it. Also, You might want to disable UAC because if a program tries to run in the background, it will crash your POL and cause it to close.

To disable UAC go through: Control Panel > User Accounts and at the bottom you will have to option to disable UAC, click that, check the box and hit save. Hope that helps ^^

(Might not be called User Accounts, Might be profiles or something like that. My PC is in Spanish so the word used can have several meanings lol)
 Asura.Dcplee
Serveur: Asura
user: dcplee
By Asura.Dcplee 2009-01-31 07:37:11
Link | Citer | R

working when i woke up today i hate SE u *** ; ;
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-31 09:53:11
Link | Citer | R

OK..

I uninstalled everything. PoL, FFXI and the 4 expansions.

Found SE's official patch for Vista PoL, downloaded it. Same problem.

"PlayOnline View has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if there is a solution available."

This is the only thing regarding FFXI on my laptop and I have no idea what to do now.

It's not the firewall as I've set it up to allow PoL access to internet.
I've changed the compatability mode from Vista to XP to Windows 98, makes no difference.
"Run as administrator" makes no difference, even if I install it through this option.
I've restarted my laptop inbetween installing and uninstalling the software.
Turned off the firewall completely when installing the PoL patch.

{Help me out!}
 Pandemonium.Aetherynn
user: Aetherynn
By Pandemonium.Aetherynn 2009-01-31 11:18:35
Link | Citer | R

Heres an easy fix reinstall with xp! otherwise there should be an option under control panel for internet access and program security access blah blah vista has way too many things to do, but look there to start when i get home ill try and get step by step good luck!
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-31 11:30:05
Link | Citer | R

XP does seem like a good option, however I am determined!

After doing some more research I found that I had been downloading the US version of SE's PoL Fix and not the EU.

So.. Downloaded and installed the EU version, followed by FFXI (no expansions).

Same. Problem.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-31 11:43:03
Link | Citer | R

just go put XP in.. Its a diff problem everytime with a diff computer that has Vista on it.

I dunno.. tbh.. just use Xp I guess... I'm just going by the majority.. but I too use Xp.

Had a helluva time going from 98 to Xp b/c Xp was new.. but I amalgamated!
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-31 13:17:09
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I turned UAC off, the thing that prompts random updates.

Upgrading/Downgrading to XP looks like my best bet at the moment. Although it will cost money to go buy it, unless I can DL it from somewhere?

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-31 14:48:51
Link | Citer | R

Still haven't found any other ideas which I haven't already tried.

Only difference between my PC Vista HP and Laptop Vista HP is my PC is 3.0 version and Laptop 3.1.

I've read somewhere that FFXI isnt compatible with the 64bit version of Vista. Thought that might be the problem.

Laptop is 32bit so its not that either.

I'm getting the same problem for everything I try differently. It's not like I'm even making progress.

It's probably going to be something really simple once I fix it.

I'm currently uninstalling everything again and will try again later.

Thankyou for all your suggestions.

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-01-31 19:12:43
Link | Citer | R

Still having no luck :\

I've read somewhere that you can burn PoL files that have already been installed onto a CD and download it, it works.

So I'm gonna go rummage around the house to find some CD's and see if Burning the PoL files from my computer will work on my Laptop.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-01-31 20:13:32
Link | Citer | R

I'm using FFXI on Vista 64 and 32, can also get it working on Win7 beta to some extent as well.

The only problem I had with FFXI + Vista was POL which was fixed once POL for Vista was released.
 Fairy.Tibz
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tibz
By Fairy.Tibz 2009-01-31 21:31:19
Link | Citer | R

I'm pretty sure the problem is the video chipset on the laptop in question. The Advent 5302 laptop uses a "SIS Mirage3" integrated graphics chipset. If your video card does not support dynamic lighting then POL/FFXI will NOT launch. Unfortunately, even if you put XP on this laptop you will still not be able to launch it if you happen to have one of these lower end video chipsets (and I'm pretty sure the Mirage3 does not support dynamic lighting).

I have personally ran into this with a few lower end Intel integrated chipsets (all laptops). Pretty much if you get a laptop and it has Intel or SIS integrated video chipsets then it's a crap shoot on if you can get POL to launch, as it's nearly impossible to get really specific info on those lower end chipsets because Intel & SIS just don't put that info out as if they think it's not necessary.

You can also check your Windows Event Viewer after POL crashes on you to see if there is a log of it and if so see if it directed to a specific file (in Vista... right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application). You might also kill everything you can from your Systray because if you have something in the Systray that is using directX files it "could" cause POL to crash as well.

Hope that helps
 Fairy.Tibz
By Fairy.Tibz 2009-01-31 21:35:22
Link | Citer | R

BTW, here is a link to POL's official supported video card list. Isn't all that helpful but it's there if you want to check it out.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html?pageID=win
 Alexander.Harryxi
Serveur: Alexander
user: HarryXI
By Alexander.Harryxi 2009-01-31 21:55:01
Link | Citer | R

I'm getting the same message, but only in campaign battles or besieged. My pc doesn't lag out or anything, I just get a message from windows saying it had to close FFXI program. I pulled out my second RAM because I'd had a few bluescreens and I'm between good mobos, and I received the message far less often. I'm very eager to hear any solution anyone can find.
 Fairy.Tibz
By Fairy.Tibz 2009-01-31 22:02:00
Link | Citer | R

Harryxi, your issue isn't the same as Daxia's. The next time you get a Blue screen (BSOD), write down the STOP error and PM it to me and I can look it up to see if I can narrow the issue down for you.

When you get the BSOD look for the line that starts with something like "STOP 0x000000AE (0x00000000 ", write down the entire Stop line (just that 1 line). Also scan over the BSOD and see if it's refering to a file or has a line that is in all caps and has _ to seperate the words, if so include that info too.
 Pandemonium.Daxia
By Pandemonium.Daxia 2009-02-08 19:22:02
Link | Citer | R

Tibz said:
I'm pretty sure the problem is the video chipset on the laptop in question. The Advent 5302 laptop uses a "SIS Mirage3" integrated graphics chipset. If your video card does not support dynamic lighting then POL/FFXI will NOT launch.

Yuh I found this out shortly after posting my last post. The laptop (fortuneately) had faulty speakers so I could claim a refund (^-^)b I'm now looking for a new FFXI Laptop that has a graphic's card that will work with FFXI.
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-08 22:22:45
Link | Citer | R

Daxia said:
Yuh I found this out shortly after posting my last post. The laptop (fortuneately) had faulty speakers so I could claim a refund (^-^)b I'm now looking for a new FFXI Laptop that has a graphic's card that will work with FFXI.

Make sure you tell that to your sales rep when you purchace/replace your laptop.

Thats what I did when I couldn't get FFXI on my first laptop, but also, it had a nasty glitch that I traded it for so I could also get my current laptop