user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 23:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:
Ohh look another 'Lets judge a game that's not released yet' thread.

And what do YOU think is going to change by release?

The only thing that's going to change is that the people defending the game simply because it's in beta are going to find some other ridiculous excuse to cling onto.

Also the guy with a handgun and beer in his avatar along with sephiroth in his name laughing at anyone seems funnier to me than people spending money so they can enjoy their hobby.

Again most people seem to forget how abysmal XI was at release.

This was not and should never be a valid excuse for how FFXIV or any other MMO will be at launch. Ever.

It's a fact, that no MMO is perfect at release, again it takes months to finally shape up. Even WoW, Korean MMO's, etc, yet people seems to expect that FFXIV will be an exception, came and played the beta and expected a 100% finished and perfect product, aka they thought the beta was a demo.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:23:45
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

The only thing that's going to change is that the people defending the game simply because it's in beta are going to find some other ridiculous excuse to cling onto.

Also the guy with a handgun and beer in his avatar along with sephiroth in his name laughing at anyone seems funnier to me than people spending money so they can enjoy their hobby.

This was not and should never be a valid excuse for how FFXIV or any other MMO will be at launch. Ever.

Especially since the person who brought up the fact that when FFXI was released there was not much competition. They hit the nail right on the head. Its a different world for MMOs now.

The concept remains the same. Betas are generally poor due to the large amount of bugs. the majority of gripes for XIV are bug based.

The other grips are so ridiculous that they don't deserve to be refuted.

"No end-game" being one of the main lolarguments.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Avelle
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 23:31:00
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

Especially since the person who brought up the fact that when FFXI was released there was not much competition. They hit the nail right on the head. Its a different world for MMOs now.

The concept remains the same. Betas are generally poor due to the large amount of bugs. the majority of gripes for XIV are bug based.

I don't know about anyone else but my complaints have nothing to do with bugs, unless you consider things like poor UI design and lack of meaningful economic tools like an Auction House "bugs." I'm still buying the game because I recognize the potential and I'm not a fool that thinks the game won't improve over a period of time. I just think anyone who thinks the game is going to make fantastic strides between now and release is going to be sorely mistaken.
 Sylph.Belmonth
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 23:31:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Everyone on this site subconsciously walks into XIV with a comparative eye from XI.

In the end everyone just loves to complain. Even about XI. SE gives everyone amazing AF3 gear, people complain, SE releases a kick *** fun way to exp, people complain. Its too easy, too hard.. economy goes down, I wasted all my time in salvage.

In the end not everyone is going to be thrilled no matter how good or bad of a launch they had.

I couldn't have said it better.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:32:56
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Everyone on this site subconsciously walks into XIV with a comparative eye from XI.

In the end everyone just loves to complain. Even about XI. SE gives everyone amazing AF3 gear, people complain, SE releases a kick *** fun way to exp, people complain. Its too easy, too hard.. economy goes down, I wasted all my time in salvage.

In the end not everyone is going to be thrilled no matter how good or bad of a launch they had.

Yup, People are always going to be biased toward XIV on an XI site anyway. This isn't a good place to get an honest review. People are scared of losing all the work they put in. Assuming XIV had a perfect launch people will still nitpick due to be scared about losing that many years worth of work.

I know that XI will die, to me it's not about will or wont, it's about when.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:34:08
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

I don't know about anyone else but my complaints have nothing to do with bugs, unless you consider things like poor UI design and lack of meaningful economic tools like an Auction House "bugs." I'm still buying the game because I recognize the potential and I'm not a fool that thinks the game won't improve over a period of time. I just think anyone who thinks the game is going to make fantastic strides between now and release is going to be sorely mistaken.

What are your major problems with the UI? I don't see the major issues here.

As for the AH argument... meh We'll see. I'm not saying it's bad until I see the search option on the wards and how it's handled.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 23:50:48
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

As for the AH argument... meh We'll see. I'm not saying it's bad until I see the search option on the wards and how it's handled.

The design is awkward, it's incredibly tedious to do simple things like sell items to a npc. Some additional problems include not being able to easily and quickly move abilities around on your hotbar, you're unable to copy/paste/rearrange macros in your alt/ctrl macro pages. Macros only allow for 10 lines of text when it should be painfully obvious each job will need far more than that to swap jobs effectively. Hitting the back button on my controller or escape on the keyboard doesn't always move you back through every window, though that may actually be more of a bug than poor design. I know there's a host of other issues I have with the UI but I don't bother to write down every complaint as I'm playing.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:54:07
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

The design is awkward, it's incredibly tedious to do simple things like sell items to a npc. Some additional problems include not being able to easily and quickly move abilities around on your hotbar, you're unable to copy/paste/rearrange macros in your alt/ctrl macro pages. Macros only allow for 10 lines of text when it should be painfully obvious each job will need far more than that to swap jobs effectively. Hitting the back button on my controller or escape on the keyboard doesn't always move you back through every window, though that may actually be more of a bug than poor design. I know there's a host of other issues I have with the UI but I don't bother to write down every complaint as I'm playing.

Bolded the part that is irrelevant as that is due to UI lag that will be sorted in retail.

As for macros... I can copy and paste them :s I did a few times already. Macro limitation could be an issue but I doubt it will due to not needing as many macros for each job, so 2 could easily be assigned for one job if that's an issue.

Most of your issue with the UI is to do with with server side lag.
[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-12 00:00:57
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:

Pending the efficiency of the search, the amount of details allowed, and whether or not it will effect a small area or the entire ward instance, it probably won't be any different than an AH minus the Transaction History. This could also defeat the purpose of stalls.

Granted, that's just speculation. For all I know, I'll be pleasantly surprised... or utterly disappointed.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:02:24
Link | Citer | R

Well If wards are a gigantic failure I'd be very surprised if they don't add an AH in pretty soon. There's been details of an AH found in the dats so it's all coded in just not implemented.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-12 00:02:36
Link | Citer | R

"FF11 sucked at release and got better" is true but irrelevant.

Since WoW's release, no major AAA MMO that has launched with even minor technical or content problems has "survived" long enough to remedy them in time. Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, Lord of the Rings Online... they're all down to 10-20% their initial subscribers numbers after only a year or two of release. And some of those were $50-100M projects.

Competition in this industry has gotten so severe, if your game isn't nearly perfect right out the door, nobody will give it a chance anymore. And most of the games above had far less to complain about at release than the current FF14 beta. FF11's track history of taking 1-2 years to become playable just isn't repeatable.

Which makes me hope they'll either delay it, or somehow pull off a miracle in ~7 days and surprise us.
[+]
 Sylph.Belmonth
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-12 00:04:39
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Since WoW's release, no major AAA MMO that has launched with even minor technical or content problems has "survived" long enough to remedy them in time. Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, Lord of the Rings Online... they're all down to 10-20% their initial subscribers numbers after only a year or two of release. And some of those were $50-100M projects.

Competition in this industry has gotten so severe, if your game isn't nearly perfect right out the door, nobody will give it a chance anymore. And most of the games above had far less to complain about at release than the current FF14 beta. FF11's track history of taking 1-2 years to become playable just isn't repeatable.

Which makes me hope they'll either delay it, or somehow pull off a miracle in ~7 days and surprise us.

I was actually expecting this game to be released on December. Then they shoot it was comming on September.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:06:58
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

You have to remember that if FFXIV comes out as a gigantic fail-bomb, SE have the available funds to keep it alive even with very few subscribers. This game is a gigantic money spinner for them, I'd be very surprised if they give it up if the game fails to meet expectations. I mean the main issues are due to the lag and economic system in the game. Lag is easily solvable, as is the economic system, even if involves making an auction house in Ishgard.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:07:49
Link | Citer | R

I'm pretty much expectant of the game to be a demo until the March when the console version is released. I assume the majority of players will be console players due to that being the 'niche'.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:10:29
Link | Citer | R

But anyway speculation is pointless at this point, we'll have to see what's happening around Christmas time.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-12 00:10:30
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

Bolded the part that is irrelevant as that is due to UI lag that will be sorted in retail.

As for macros... I can copy and paste them :s I did a few times already. Macro limitation could be an issue but I doubt it will due to not needing as many macros for each job, so 2 could easily be assigned for one job if that's an issue.

You basically read exactly what you wanted to read and not what I said. My complaint about the selling to npcs being tedious has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with server side lag. It has everything to do with going through 3 or 4 windows to sell one damn item. The copy/paste issue with macros I'll have to look into but it wasn't very obvious how you accomplish that task, which is another issue with the UI. It's not intuitive at all. New users are going to log in and go "what the *** is this ***?" and then probably log out because it's a turnoff. Also I'm not sure why you think macro limitations wouldn't be an issue. You have various pieces of equipment you may want to change between jobs, and the game provides 3 action pages with 10 slots each for you to equip different abilities. I have no idea if you could fill every one of those slots by level 50 so it MIGHT be irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure you could fill at least 2 of them.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:13:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

You basically read exactly what you wanted to read and not what I said. My complaint about the selling to npcs being tedious has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with server side lag. It has everything to do with going through 3 or 4 windows to sell one damn item. The copy/paste issue with macros I'll have to look into but it wasn't very obvious how you accomplish that task, which is another issue with the UI. It's not intuitive at all. New users are going to log in and go "what the *** is this ***?" and then probably log out because it's a turnoff. Also I'm not sure why you don't think macro limitations wouldn't be an issue. You have various pieces of equipment you may want to change between jobs, and the game provides 3 action pages with 10 slots each for you to equip different abilities. I have no idea if you could fill every one of those slots by level 50 so it MIGHT be irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure you could fill at least 2 of them.

Have you even tried to sell items to an NPC? It's not hard at all. You choose an item then scroll to the next item and then the next item. The only thing that makes selling items any more tedious than XI is the server side lag.

As for macros, I can't see myself filling all of this, there are tons. Seeing as direct input of a command also works it's also pretty obvious that a 'windower' of sorts will come out to alleviate any macro issues.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 00:14:11
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

The only reason any of this would make sense is if this was a completely new MMO by a developer that's just getting started.

There are LOTS of people that will play FFXIV just because Square has been their favorite developer since the 1990s. There are also LOTS of people that will play FFXIV because it's from the same people that made FFXI.

On top of that, Square has proven to be a quality developer and not only has experience in RPGs, but also in MMOs. Quite a few actually. It would take a miracle for FFXIV to bomb on release at this point.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-12 00:27:51
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

You basically read exactly what you wanted to read and not what I said. My complaint about the selling to npcs being tedious has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with server side lag. It has everything to do with going through 3 or 4 windows to sell one damn item. The copy/paste issue with macros I'll have to look into but it wasn't very obvious how you accomplish that task, which is another issue with the UI. It's not intuitive at all. New users are going to log in and go "what the *** is this ***?" and then probably log out because it's a turnoff. Also I'm not sure why you don't think macro limitations wouldn't be an issue. You have various pieces of equipment you may want to change between jobs, and the game provides 3 action pages with 10 slots each for you to equip different abilities. I have no idea if you could fill every one of those slots by level 50 so it MIGHT be irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure you could fill at least 2 of them.

Have you even tried to sell items to an NPC? It's not hard at all. You choose an item then scroll to the next item and then the next item. The only thing that makes selling items any more tedious than XI is the server side lag.

As for macros, I can't see myself filling all of this, there are tons. Seeing as direct input of a command also works it's also pretty obvious that a 'windower' of sorts will come out to alleviate any macro issues.

Have YOU tried to sell items to a NPC? You select the item, a new window pops up with the item's stats, do you want to sell or return to the previous menu, hit sell and another new window pops up, at that point you can hit sell or return then you get to repeat the same process for the other 60 items in your inventory. It's unnecessarily slow and tedious, thus the complaint. It's a far slower process than XI, I'm not sure how you aren't grasping that.

And again, something like Windower came out because SE didn't have the foresight or the understanding to correct their own problems so the community had to do it for them. I'm pretty sure if Windower didn't exist, far fewer people would be playing XI right now. The fact that you think another Windower will see daylight after FFXIV is released means you think SE probably won't fix the same types of complaints this time around. A major red flag for us as consumers.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:35:44
Link | Citer | R

I have tried selling things to NPC's and I don't see the issue. I honestly don't find it much worse than XI.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 00:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart said:
I have tried selling things to NPC's and I don't see the issue. I honestly don't find it much worse than XI.
There's 1 more screen, obviously this will be a major, game breaking problem, oh noez!
[+]
 Cerberus.Tyler
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tyler
By Cerberus.Tyler 2010-09-12 00:37:02
Link | Citer | R

I like it a lot, and I'm definitely going to play it. I like how you can play for a few hours, log off, and still feel like you've accomplished something. In FFXI it takes like 2 hours to find a party or put one together.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:37:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Flionheart said:
There's 1 more screen, obviously this will be a major, game breaking problem, oh noez!

I didn't even notice it lol.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-12 00:38:51
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Flionheart said:
Is it game breaking? No. Is more time consuming than needed. Yes.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:40:23
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Flionheart said:

Is it worth major complaint? I suppose people find it really upsetting and traumatizing when you try to throw away a R/ex item in XI and it asks more than once.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 00:40:53
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Flionheart said:
Well then I'm sorry your quarter-seconds are so valuable. You're right, you shouldn't be playing this game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-12 00:43:46
Link | Citer | R

I don't care about it myself. I'm just saying he's got a point. Denying that it could be faster is ignorant. But that doesn't mean it needs to be faster.

(mytldr; It doesn't really bother me, but there is room for improvement.)
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 00:44:57
Link | Citer | R

Of course it would be faster.

It would also be faster to buy a character that's already LV50.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-12 00:46:07
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Of course it would be faster.

It would also be faster to buy a character that's already LV50.
Yep. You're starting to remind me of someone...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 13 14 15