new FFXI Director
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-01 13:11:31
Link | Citer | R

Emobi said:
PS2 limitations end at windower and (for some) loading speed.

I wish I knew more about the makeup of game-making. Any experts around?
Capped 29.x frame rate? PS2 limitations.
Upgrading the graphics engine? PS2 limitations.
No GPU support? PS2 limitations.
PS2 harddrive running out of room? PS2 limitations.
80 inventory max? PS2 limitations (according to SE, I think BS)
the list goes on.
By Emobi 2010-09-01 13:12:05
Link | Citer | R

and graphics. and graphics. sorry. i didn't add that as a limitation.

it's an old game *shrug*
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-01 13:13:11
Link | Citer | R

Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*
Right, but other old games have seen upgraded graphics engines. This one cannot due to PS2 support. If they ever decided to stop supporting PS2 then we might see a new revamped better looking FFXI. I doubt this will ever happen considering the huge JP PS2 following.
 Bismarck.Drteeth
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 13:13:13
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Degs said:
why not then, add new content and all new armor gear, graphix beef up, etc... and make it for pc and ps3.. and if ps2 players want that new content then they need to buy a ps3... or play on their pc.. i know alot of people who started on ps2, then switched to pc and just play with a controller.... would make building this game up to what it should/could be alot easier if they didnt have to worry bout ps2/xbox players

XIV says hi.
By Emobi 2010-09-01 13:14:48
Link | Citer | R

SE isn't going to drop ps2, because the game was MADE for it.

These other games, that you are using as examples, were probably built on a pc framework, which can be changed.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 13:15:38
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*
Right, but other old games have seen upgraded graphics engines. This one cannot due to PS2 support.

Why would they waste their time overhauling the entire game when XIV is around the corner? Especially when this game is eight *** years old? That's an insane waste of time and money on their part. The players that would either come out of retirement or actually ~start~ playing (which is silly after eight years) wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of the overhaul.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 13:17:46
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Drteeth said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*
Right, but other old games have seen upgraded graphics engines. This one cannot due to PS2 support.

Why would they waste their time overhauling the entire game when XIV is around the corner? Especially when this game is eight *** years old? That's an insane waste of time and money on their part. The players that would either come out of retirement or actually ~start~ playing (which is silly after eight years) wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of the overhaul.

I agree completely. People have unrealistically high hopes for XI's future.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-01 13:18:30
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Drteeth said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*

As long FFXI monthly income > costs to maintain the servers/backend/staff the game is profitable. It would be a decision they'd need to make if they think it would keep people or draw new people to the game. I don't expect them to do this as I edited my post you quoted, but with PS2 support being a factor it is something they cannot do at this time even if they wanted to.
 Kujata.Jatayu
Serveur: Kujata
user: sruon
By Kujata.Jatayu 2010-09-01 13:21:30
Link | Citer | R

Wonder what he did to get that kind of punishment?
By Emobi 2010-09-01 13:22:49
Link | Citer | R

good points.

i hope the new director has cookies.

and perhaps swings another Fan Festival America's way *crosses fingers*
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 13:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Bismarck.Drteeth said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*

As long FFXI monthly profits > costs to maintain the servers/backend/staff the game is profitable. It would be a decision they'd need to make if they think it would keep people or draw new people to the game. I don't expect them to do this as I revamped my post you quoted, but with PS2 support being a factor it is something they cannot do at this time even if they wanted to.

Yeah, but at the same time, XIV is literally right around the corner. Even if they ~could~ overhaul FFXI's graphics engine because PS2 support dwindled and they were able to drop the platform, I doubt they would. I just wouldn't think it would be cost-feasible at this point in the game's life.
 Titan.Cripnicc
Serveur: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-09-01 13:30:36
Link | Citer | R

This means all the ppl that make X amount of salary are going to go work on the New hit game FFXIV and they will hand over ffxi to not as good lower paid employees to just maintain the game. Not a good sign for ffxi. Personaly as soon as ffxiv comes to PS3 im out. wish i had a good enough pc to play it now :(
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-01 13:32:06
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Drteeth said:

Yeah, but at the same time, XIV is literally right around the corner. Even if they ~could~ overhaul FFXI's graphics engine because PS2 support dwindled and they were able to drop the platform, I doubt they would. I just wouldn't think it would be cost-feasible at this point in the game's life.
If PS2 support drops to the point where they are in a comfortable position to stop supporting it, they will have to make the choice. Keeping the game in the state it is right now for PC/360 only will keep the hardcore fans around still. New people will come and see how bad the graphics are by todays standards and be turned off.

Now I'm not saying that XI will start having huge amounts of new people anytime soon. However, those who want to check it out will see XI and then see XIV. The choice is clear. An announcement of updated graphics could be enough to draw old people back who quit or whatever. If they want to keep people coming to XI it will be something that should be considered.
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 13:36:18
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Cripnicc said:
This means all the ppl that make X amount of salary are going to go work on the New hit game FFXIV and they will hand over ffxi to not as good lower paid employees to just maintain the game. Not a good sign for ffxi. Personaly as soon as ffxiv comes to PS3 im out. wish i had a good enough pc to play it now :(

If I recall correctly, XIV is being headed by an entirely different staff than XI. I dunno if they're tossing XI devs over there gradually or not, but yeah. Whatevs.

My whole theory on XI was that they where gonna add ridiculously awesome *** (such as Abyssea and all its glory), raise the cap to 99, and just let players have copious amounts of fun instead of the grind we've had for eight years. Then, with XI technically "finished", they can put all their focus on making XIV a bigger and better game.
 Phoenix.Degs
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-09-01 13:45:55
Link | Citer | R

Who's to say that XIV wont be a total flop.. there have been games out there that were supposed to be "the next big thing" and for that matter FF games that were supposed to be awesome and with all the hype behind them, completely failed.... Who's to say that XI wont stick around for another 8 years and become even better... Hopefully they wont abandon a game that so many people love, player base and developers alike.

I will probably give XIV a chance, like many others, but if it completely sucks, then a uninstalling we will go
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 13:47:58
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Degs said:
Who's to say that XIV wont be a total flop.. there have been games out there that were supposed to be "the next big thing" and for that matter FF games that were supposed to be awesome and with all the hype behind them, completely failed.... Who's to say that XI wont stick around for another 8 years and become even better... Hopefully they wont abandon a game that so many people love, player base and developers alike.

I will probably give XIV a chance, like many others, but if it completely sucks, then a uninstalling we will go

Who's to say an asteroid won't hit earth tomorrow and we'll all die?

Realistically speaking seeing as this game is so similar to XI in terms of battle, locales and races this will be the successor to XI.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-01 13:50:21
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Realistically speaking seeing as this game is so similar to XI in terms of battle, locales and races this will be the successor to XI.
Battle is similar? Maybe I missed something during my short XIV Beta test?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 13:51:12
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Battle is similar? Maybe I missed something during my short XIV Beta test?

In comparison to other MMO's XIV is more similar to XI than any other.
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 13:59:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Degs said:

I never said they would abandon XI, I just said they would "finish" it, by which I mean no more updates. They're going to keep XI running until it ceases to be profitable, to be sure. All I'm saying is I think they're going to stop adding content to XI and focus on making XIV a better game, which will KEEP it from being a flop.

Also, no FF has completely failed (X-2 doesn't count). It's just that fanboys like to *** and moan at every little change or addition because they are afraid of trying anything new. How many people do you see bitching about games that haven't even come out yet, refusing to play it because of something that was said in a god damn preview?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-09-01 13:59:54
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Drteeth said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Emobi said:

it's an old game *shrug*

word
By AdamChiro 2010-09-01 14:01:54
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Placebo news as a token gesture to those who are remaining loyal to XI.

Well said..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Emobi 2010-09-01 14:07:54
Link | Citer | R

PRINCE PLAYS FFXI!!!

I'm NEVER leaving this game now!!
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 14:08:25
Link | Citer | R

Emobi said:

PRINCE PLAYS FFXI!!!

I'm NEVER leaving this game now!!

Prince has a better mustache.

Edit:
By Emobi 2010-09-01 14:10:46
Link | Citer | R

better BLOUSES!!!

I hope the new director has Pancakes and Blouses.
 Bismarck.Drteeth
By Bismarck.Drteeth 2010-09-01 14:12:27
Link | Citer | R

This thread is about Prince, now.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-09-01 14:17:27
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
This thread is now again about the new FFXI director
Prince?
 Lakshmi.Yumeara
user: Yumeara
By Lakshmi.Yumeara 2010-09-01 14:22:12
Link | Citer | R

He's certainly no Uwe Boll or Joel Schumacher. But then again, it wasn't meant to be funny, was it?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-01 14:31:31
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
This thread is about Prince, now.
[+]