Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » DNC/THF
DNC/THF
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2010-08-27 19:54:03
Link | Citer | R

I just have a thought about DNC/THF and how it possibly could become useful in party situations in the future.

I know Dancers typically do not use weaponskills for damage in parties (since they need TP for their moves) but in a situation where there are 2 Dancers (let's use Abyssea as a possible example) I have a couple of ideas about how a DNC can be a good damage dealer with /THF.

From hereforth, I'll use a DNC/THF at 99 as an example:

Sneak Attack--I realize that this is not as powerful when Thief is a subjob, but it still guarantees a critical hit for a weaponskill used behind an enemy. Damage enhancement of a weaponskill.

Trick Attack-- Not as significant at the endgame, but I guess it could help with enmity control if needed.

Hide-- For enemies that detect by sight, this could be used to escape from a monster attacking after the DNC uses a powerful weaponskill.

This is where Dancer abilities come in.

Building Flourish-- Increases weaponskill properties for the next weaponskill. Good use of the DD DNC's finishing moves.

Wild Flourish-- Readies target for a skillchain. Would be used by a Dancer that is NOT using the weaponskill. This is because the effect only lasts a few seconds, so the DD DNC would have to quickly get finishing moves so he could use...

Climactic Flourish-- This is a nice bonus, as it grants critical hits for the first attack of a multi-hit weaponskill. It would be more useful if it allowed critical hits for all 5 hits of Evisceration or Dancing Edge, but still, it's a nice bonus.

What do you think? I've never seen this in action before but I'm just throwing out some possibilies. Feel free to destroy this theory if it's actually a crappy idea.

Just to clarify: there would need to be two Dancers in the alliance. The first Dancer would be the one doing the damage (is /THF and uses Climactic Flourish and Building Flourish) and the second Dancer would be doing the regular job and supporting the DNC/THF (uses Sambas, Waltzes, debuff Steps, and Building Flourish).
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-27 20:38:34
Link | Citer | R

I personally at 80 prefer the dnc/nin or dnc/sam combos but thats my personal opinion.. I think that in an ideal setup your idea would have very good merit but my concern is usually at endgame situations or say abssyea people go all out and the dancer using wild flourish may not be setting up the other dancer at all but someone else entirely if that makes sense..

and as dnc I would rather have shadows third eye or even defender as I do have a tanking gear setup I can revert too. (yes dnc can tank if needed :P)

Hopefully I answered that correctly?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-27 20:47:58
Link | Citer | R

/SAM and /WAR are better options both for utility and "DD DNC". Not worthwhile.
Quote:
yes dnc can tank if needed :P
If you call building CE at a snail's pace "tanking", yeah I guess it can. Eva tanking lowman situations is about as close to tanking as DNC can reasonably get.
 Cerberus.Savannah
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2010-08-27 20:50:32
Link | Citer | R

Honestly I prefer /sam, but once I get adjusted to a particular support job that's the only way I wanna play a job lol

So having adjusted to /sam....It's really the only way I play it unless I absolutely have no other way to survive unless I use /nin
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-27 20:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
/SAM and /WAR are better options both for utility and "DD DNC". Not worthwhile.
Quote:
yes dnc can tank if needed :P
If you call building CE at a snail's pace "tanking", yeah I guess it can. Eva tanking lowman situations is about as close to tanking as DNC can reasonably get.

Not sure maybe you have the wrong idea of a DNC capabilities but DNC can solo and tank quite a bit in the game that most jobs cannot. Is with every other job in the game, there are good DNC who know their job and push it to the limits, then there are the people who level it for the lolz and the subjob onry who give it a bad name.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2010-08-27 20:58:55
Link | Citer | R

Well, actually I guess /THF isn't really even necessary. I mean, the biggest advantages to using weaponskills as a Dancer aren't even /THF exclusive (besides Sneak Attack, but this would be redundant I think with Climactic Flourish). /SAM would be good to get TP and Finishing Moves quickly, /NIN for safety. But I still think Building Flourish + Wild Flourish + Climactic Flourish + Evisceration/Dancing Edge would have interesting results. And that new step coming out...

As I said I have no experience with these combinations, since my Dancer isn't 80 yet. Just speculation.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-27 21:01:48
Link | Citer | R

All those subjobs have their varying uses, I think with all the new levels/adjustments, new job traits etc , its really too premature to do anything more then speculate and comment on what we know now. =)
DNC/SAM may not be the ult at 99 it could very well be dnc/thf :O
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-27 21:31:02
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Not sure maybe you have the wrong idea of a DNC capabilities but DNC can solo and tank quite a bit in the game that most jobs cannot. Is with every other job in the game, there are good DNC who know their job and push it to the limits, then there are the people who level it for the lolz and the subjob onry who give it a bad name.
Solo =/= tanking. It goes without saying that DNC is a good solo job and I already mentioned lowman eva tanking small NMs with small groups.

Even with perfect cure cheat sets our CE generation is not sufficient to even keep up with a decent DD, much less outpace them, on anything worth bringing a dedicated tank to. Say what you like, basic mechanics disagree and this will only grow worse with time as cure enmity decreases as one's level increases.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-27 21:32:57
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
Well, actually I guess /THF isn't really even necessary. I mean, the biggest advantages to using weaponskills as a Dancer aren't even /THF exclusive (besides Sneak Attack, but this would be redundant I think with Climactic Flourish). /SAM would be good to get TP and Finishing Moves quickly, /NIN for safety. But I still think Building Flourish + Wild Flourish + Climactic Flourish + Evisceration/Dancing Edge would have interesting results. And that new step coming out...

As I said I have no experience with these combinations, since my Dancer isn't 80 yet. Just speculation.
Ignoring the fact that Building and Wild Flourish share a recast timer and all 3 share resources (finishing moves, which take time to build due to step recasts), you'd get better results out of Reverse Flourish.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-27 21:34:44
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Solo =/= tanking. It goes without saying that DNC is a good solo job and I already mentioned lowman eva tanking small NMs with small groups.

Even with perfect cure cheat sets our CE generation is not sufficient to even keep up with a decent DD, much less outpace them, on anything worth bringing a dedicated tank to. Say what you like, basic mechanics disagree and this will only grow worse with time as cure enmity decreases as one's level increases.

Didn't say it was ideal, nor did I say it would be efficient LONG TERM (IE a 3 hr event) My quote was "yes a DNC can tank IF NEEDED". Maybe you misinterpreted how I meant it, and I apologize for that, but I stand by my word that in a pinch, A DNC can in fact tank. /shrug. Situational ***is situational. :)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-27 21:35:18
Link | Citer | R

Holding also =/= tanking. You can survive with hate on you for extended periods of time, but you will not keep hate and thus fail to meet the complete definition of a tank.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2010-08-27 21:38:26
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
Well, actually I guess /THF isn't really even necessary. I mean, the biggest advantages to using weaponskills as a Dancer aren't even /THF exclusive (besides Sneak Attack, but this would be redundant I think with Climactic Flourish). /SAM would be good to get TP and Finishing Moves quickly, /NIN for safety. But I still think Building Flourish + Wild Flourish + Climactic Flourish + Evisceration/Dancing Edge would have interesting results. And that new step coming out... As I said I have no experience with these combinations, since my Dancer isn't 80 yet. Just speculation.
Ignoring the fact that Building and Wild Flourish share a recast timer and all 3 share resources (finishing moves, which take time to build due to step recasts), you'd get better results out of Reverse Flourish.

Theoretically speaking, with No Foot Rise, it's possible. And I must admit that I forgot about the flourishes being in the same group, but with 2 Dancers it wouldn't be as much as a problem, except perhaps with coordination.

Practically speaking, though, it might not be worth the effort. Who knows. As I said I'm just speculating and I don't even know how potent the flourishes would be for weaponskills.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-27 21:45:33
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
Theoretically speaking, with No Foot Rise, it's possible.
In the timeframe you're looking at I could easily WS twice and certainly get more mileage out of Reverse Flourish in the process, so... yeah. Big shiny weaponskill if you feel like waiting around that long, but bad for DPS and utility in general.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2010-08-27 22:00:19
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
Theoretically speaking, with No Foot Rise, it's possible.
In the timeframe you're looking at I could easily WS twice and certainly get more mileage out of Reverse Flourish in the process, so... yeah. Big shiny weaponskill if you feel like waiting around that long, but bad for DPS and utility in general.

Hence the "theoretically" versus "practically."

It could go like this:

5 Finishing moves > Building Flourish (2 Finishing Moves left) > Climactic Flourish (0 Finishing Moves left, next 2 attacks are critical) > No Foot Rise (at least 2 Finishing Moves needed) > Wild Flourish > Evisceration
or something like this.

As I've said many times, I've never tried this out but I'm just throwing out the possibility.