Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-20 13:25:32
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Patriclis said:
the RMT and WoW adds on the website probably don't help much with that
Some of SE's Premier sites are owned by RMT companies.

We'd be happy to discuss changing our ad lineup if they wanted us to as part of any deal, but again, they've been silent on the issue.

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
hint:3rd party tools
Other Premier sites openly admit to using banned 3rd party apps to scrape item, crafting, etc data. So that seems a poor argument as well.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 13:32:05
Link | Citer | R

Funny to see SE endorse what it condemns.
Contrary much?!
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-08-20 13:35:02
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Zibo said:
FFXI died awhile ago.

lol
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-08-20 13:35:09
Link | Citer | R

its like how theyre quiet about windower, tons of people use it, and they dont want to lose players over it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-20 13:38:30
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Asura.Patriclis said:
the RMT and WoW adds on the website probably don't help much with that
Some of SE's Premier sites are owned by RMT companies.

We'd be happy to discuss changing our ad lineup if they wanted us to as part of any deal, but again, they've been silent on the issue.

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
hint:3rd party tools
Other Premier sites openly admit to using banned 3rd party apps to scrape item, crafting, etc data. So that seems a poor argument as well.

I guess we need to do some contests and have some people dress up like media people and act all amazed when we take pics of them?? only thing missing at this point
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 13:39:15
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
Contrary much?!

Not really, whatever revenue they get gets pumped back into production costs. If people didn't RMT, the RMT companies probably wouldn't have been able to buy out the site's original owner(s), so the players are still the culprit here. (Assuming they were owned by someone else, I don't know).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 13:43:06
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
lol at thinking december will be the last FFXI update. I guess people who thinks that never played other MMO's before =/

Enjoy your add-ons once yearly, whilst FFXI is officially 'supported'
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-20 13:45:15
Link | Citer | R

after the last add-on they might throw out some maint here and there and maybe a random update but I don't see them adding a whole new expansion or even to work on more small packs
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 13:48:05
Link | Citer | R

Like I said, you're going to get an add-on yearly so FFXI can still keep the status 'supported'.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 13:50:58
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
Contrary much?!

Not really, whatever revenue they get gets pumped back into production costs. If people didn't RMT, the RMT companies probably wouldn't have been able to buy out the site's original owner(s), so the players are still the culprit here. (Assuming they were owned by someone else, I don't know).

I know what you mean by the players giving business to RMTs, but what I found funny is that SE has a special task force to eliminate RMT, while endorsing RMT owned premier sites.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 13:53:23
Link | Citer | R

Hard to predict really. Depends on the state of the player base after XIV hits and the generic decline in subscribers. They said they'll make new content (likely mini-expansions) so long as players keep subscribing. If they aren't making enough money to keep XI going then the additional content will stop too. Definitely won't be dead in a year from now, nor 2. Harder to predict any further than that unfortunately.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 13:55:48
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:

I know what you mean by the players giving business to RMTs, but what I found funny is that SE has a special task force to eliminate RMT, while endorsing RMT owned premier sites.

It's not so much them endorsing the RMT content rather than the content of the website (advertisements, community discussions etc). That's what they're backing, RMTing itself no. I don't know why they bother with Alla nowadays anyway, no idea if it's still lively or not.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 13:56:57
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

It's not so much them endorsing the RMT content rather than the content of the website (advertisements, community discussions etc). That's what they're backing, RMTing itself no. I don't know why they bother with Alla nowadays anyway, no idea if it's still lively or not.

A shame we're not up there with the big guys, but now that I think about it, a corporate stamp with mass influx of advertisements and more idiots pouring in... DO NOT WANT.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-20 14:01:36
Link | Citer | R

Everquest just released their seventeenth expansion. It's been going for 11 years. FF11 will continue on as long as it's profitable.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-20 14:04:49
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
Contrary much?!
I'm actually on SE's side most of the time. I have no compunction about calling them out on things when they've done something blatantly wrong, but in general I give them the benefit of the doubt. They're good people and MMO's are a brutal, thankless industry.

That being said, internal consistency's a ***, sometimes. =)
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 14:05:53
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
Contrary much?!
I'm actually on SE's side most of the time. I have no compunction about calling them out on things when they've done something blatantly wrong, but in general I give them the benefit of the doubt. They're good people and MMO's are a brutal, thankless industry.

That being said, internal consistency's a ***, sometimes. =)

True, but hey whatever keeps players playing and the cash rolling in, more power to them.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 14:09:08
Link | Citer | R

I generally take their side too >_> Comments about how x content should've been available from the word go, or criticisms if something breaks after updates are irritating, it's not like it's easy <_<
 Sylph.Washburn
Serveur: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-08-20 14:13:57
Link | Citer | R

As far as changes, I'd like to see the following:

- Removal of cap on merits. Allow everyone to cap everything. I'm personally almost out of ***to merit. After that, then what?

- Add new meritable job abilities, preferrably something that cuts the reuse of some /ja's like Flashy Shot or Blade Bash.

- Make merits bazaarable! or sell them to a NPC for ISP/Cruor/CQ/assault etc.

- Get rid of deodorize, it's in my way, that's it's purpose.

- Make it so we can alliance XP EVERYWHERE without gimping XP!!! not just Abyssea!

- Allow synergy in Aht Urgan zones for god's sake!

I'm sure there's more stuff i could think up.

Edit ** Allow merits to be used to skillup, like 1 merit trade for +10 skill or something.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-08-20 14:19:52
Link | Citer | R

Make ffxi free
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-08-20 14:22:17
Link | Citer | R

stripper joints in Bastok for 18+ players
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 14:22:20
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
Make ffxi free

The only way to save the game.
 Sylph.Washburn
Serveur: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-08-20 14:28:07
Link | Citer | R

and either add more strategems or cut the recast time for the current ones.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-20 14:28:31
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I generally take their side too >_> Comments about how x content should've been available from the word go, or criticisms if something breaks after updates are irritating, it's not like it's easy <_<
A lot of MMO players seem to think that the industry is somehow magical. That it doesn't suffer from any of the problems that any other business does.

People never get sick. Your division lead never quits a week before release to go work his buddy's startup. Your staff never gets headhunted. They never take disability or get pregnant. Vendors and hosting providers always come through. Your design always works in code on the first pass. Your 3rd party licenses go off without a hitch. Money is always available for raises. Reviews always happen on time. Patent trolls never sue you. Everyone from the front line phone support to marketing to artists to coders is independently brilliant, understands 100% of the game to the same extent users do, and everyone works at the same rate and efficiency from person to person and day to day.

And office politics never gets in the way of work in any way whatsoever.
 Siren.Temeraire
Serveur: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 14:31:28
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
A lot of MMO players seem to think that the industry is somehow magical. That it doesn't suffer from any of the problems that any other business does.

People never get sick. Your division lead never quits a week before release to go work his buddy's startup. Your staff never gets headhunted. They never take disability or get pregnant. Vendors and hosting providers always come through. Your design always works in code on the first pass. Your 3rd party licenses go off without a hitch. Money is always available for raises. Reviews always happen on time. Patent trolls never sue you. Everyone from the front line phone support to marketing to artists to coders is independently brilliant, understands 100% of the game to the same extent users do, and everyone works at the same rate and efficiency from person to person and day to day.

It seems more likely that the majority of MMO players never think about those things and just assume that everything should work perfectly and always be delivered on time. And it should also always be exactly what every person always wants every time, even though almost everyone has different ideas about what they want in a given game.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 14:32:20
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

Which is exactly why it worries me that XIV has such an earlier than expected release date.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-20 14:34:03
Link | Citer | R

Yup, I'm in animating so I don't really have many issues, but a friend of mine who is working on the new Sims (console) has been working over 12hrs/day for debugging, and I guarantee there'll still be errors upon release. MMOs would no doubt be a lot harder.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-20 14:34:12
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
Which is exactly why it worries me that XIV has such an earlier than expected release date.
I'm completely terrified.