Forum » FFXI » General » Dual Box Walkthrough
Dual Box Walkthrough
 Fenrir.Tool
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 02:18:43
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm, I do like to save $10, that could be a 6-pack of a really good beer :O

I suppose if it's easy enough to force-cancel or uninstall Steam's version of FFXI the moment they give me the registry key then it should all be good. Thank you for the tip to save money!
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-20 02:23:47
Link | Citer | R

Glad to help^^ I try to share what I know and I know just enough from experience about this to try to be useful :)

Dual-boxing (not well, I'm totally not a professional player, more for fun) and .dat mods I have done so I have firsthand knowledge and therefore opinions about it XD

Best of luck on your new account :) I love having my two !
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 02:25:29
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, after getting the hang of dual boxing, my next endeavor is to make my own modified dats and make things prettier than SE originally made em.

Also since I am starting fresh I will get myself some nice video recording software and record in high res, all the major mission cutscenes to make myself little FFXI movies :D
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 02:28:00
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
Yeah, after getting the hang of dual boxing, my next endeavor is to make my own modified dats and make things prettier than SE originally made em.
I can help you with that if you want. I used to make .dats, so I could mess with stuff in Photoshop or whatever, or sort of walk you through it also.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 02:31:15
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
I can help you with that if you want. I used to make .dats, so I could mess with stuff in Photoshop or whatever, or sort of walk you through it also.

Sounds great, I'll letcha know when I'm ready to do that. For now I'm just gonna browse through this dat viewer thingy to see what everything looks like up close.
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-20 02:31:44
Link | Citer | R

Oooooh you did it now <.< mentioning an interest in dats.... bad move around me... Now I'm gonna be like HAI U SHULD SEE MINEZ THEY R AWSUM

my photobucket.

It's not everything, but it's a lot of my current works and older projects... I do recolors more often than not, and I totally mourned ffxidats.com when it closed, cause I had only been submitting my works for like 3 weeks ;; but eh. Neko-sentai isn't too bad once you choose the option to not have ads. Or if you like ridiculously graphic banner ads >.>
The community is nice ^^
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-20 11:01:15
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Lilywolf said:
I was able to link both of my POL IDs to my single SE ID and they both got a satchel with my one security token... You can link up to 10, according to SE, but you cannot unlink them once you have them linked ::learned that the hard way when I had a friend visit and decided to link his to my account for satchel then felt like an absolute moron when I looked into it, ended up having to deactive my poor token:: but if it is only to be used by you, that shouldn't be an issue ^^ just be aware if you are dual boxing with a token, you can't use the same code twice, and the most recent code will invalidate any older ones, so you have to input them in order. Little nuisances, but good to know ^^

edit: yeah I didn't keep the steam install, just let it start so that the code was viewable and then cancelled and uninstalled the whole program, not just the FFXI portion, and played with my normal install from my disc that I had bought for my other character ^^

This is only partly true. You aren't suppose to unlink an account but it is possible, I've done it and it takes a ***ton of work and hassle to get SE to do it.

My brother quit "permanently" at the time, and I took over his account and started dual boxing him. So I linked his account to my SE account and token to get the satchel space as I didn't really want to waste 10$ just to get it on its own and he wasn't coming back anyway. Well, he ended up coming back so I called SE and they told me: It's impossible and we can't do it. I called again and again they told me they couldn't do it. Each time I called I got a slightly different response and it seemed like they really had no idea what they were talking about. Eventually I got someone who gave me an affirmative and told me in order to do it, I had to order a token from that account so my brother did and it came then we called SE again, confirmed a ton of info from both accounts and they unlinked it and he had the choice of either activating the new token on the account or just leaving it off but either way for some reason it required the purchase of the token. I suppose it was to give it the option to be moved to another SE account but not yet linked so it didn't require use.

It's a pain but there was no freaking way I was going with out my token. Too much work on my game to have it haxed.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-20 11:06:26
Link | Citer | R

Also, I don't know how much you plan to dual box but if you get serious about using it in events I'd look in to a program called switchmonitor or switchmon. I play on controller so reaching over to my keyboard to alt tab is a pain and even when I am using the keyboard I'd rather not have to alt tab through the other ***I have open like resources or linkshell files and such. The program makes it so that you can press a single button to alternate through the currently loaded games. While designed for a controller, I'm pretty sure you can program a regular keyboard button as well and it can really speed up your ability to flip and act.

Switchmon lags a little if you use the autoscan option to check for open games each time you flip so I recommend using the manual scan to avoid the mini lag spike that delays flipping.

Good luck!
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-29 22:37:05
Link | Citer | R

Okay quick question for you dual boxers that use windower:

How am I able to run a separate instance of windower enabled FFXI while running off of a separate init.txt script?

I want to kind of make customized placement settings as to not have to manually entered movement for wincontrol plugin to have them on separate monitors. I appreciate the help, thank you.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-29 22:53:51
Link | Citer | R

Install windower in a separate location?
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-29 22:59:07
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Laffter said:

There should be a scripting solution of some sort, but I suppose the windower in general is lightweight enough to have installed twice, but it seems rather redundant if there is way to simply redirect which scripting file to run off of for each instance.

But thank you for the makeshift solution.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-29 23:01:15
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

There should be a scripting solution of some sort, but I suppose the windower in general is lightweight enough to have installed twice, but it seems rather redundant if there is way to simply redirect which scripting file to run off of for each instance.

But thank you for the makeshift solution.
I wouldn't imagine there is, but you'd have to check with the creators. As nifty as Windower is, even IT isn't made to run multiples at the same time and on different scripts.

I just presented the solution used by most people that dualbox.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Serveur: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2010-08-29 23:04:00
Link | Citer | R

LoL silly people and your hax! Reminds me of this monk in abyssea who setup a botting program and it messed up somehow. He ran around in circles for a good 10min before someone noticed. By then he was running farther and farther until a few members of my LS (who were in diff parties in the same area) asked if that monk running laps in Tahrongi was with us.

So be careful if u do fiddle with those things.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-29 23:05:52
Link | Citer | R

Running two accounts at once =/= hax.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-29 23:07:40
Link | Citer | R

(True Strike)

Actually, most people who dualbox do so using a console and PC or two consoles. I know a few that dualbox on the same PC, but to do so does require at least one account to run Windower.

Doable with only one install of it, but really, SE's Windower isn't great. :P
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-29 23:34:53
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Lilywolf said:
Oooooh you did it now <.< mentioning an interest in dats.... bad move around me... Now I'm gonna be like HAI U SHULD SEE MINEZ THEY R AWSUM

my photobucket.

It's not everything, but it's a lot of my current works and older projects... I do recolors more often than not, and I totally mourned ffxidats.com when it closed, cause I had only been submitting my works for like 3 weeks ;; but eh. Neko-sentai isn't too bad once you choose the option to not have ads. Or if you like ridiculously graphic banner ads >.>
The community is nice ^^
i have been looking for the taru pigtail dat :O

please ; ;
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-30 02:08:15
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:

please ; ;

Oh sure! I keep all of the dats I download even if I alter them or don't use em in the original state. Especially face dats, those are the most useful I think.

The creator of this dat was Perideath, and there are credits listed in a text file in the folder. These are all the originals, the one in my screenshots was edited by me to have a purple eyeshadow instead of the original bright pink/fuchsia/magenta`color. Love it ^^

Link!
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-30 02:46:51
Link | Citer | R

Geez, a note of advice to anyone planning to dual box:

If you buy your second copy of the game for the registration code to create your second account from Steam, be prepared to reinstall everything as it totally *** with your registry and convinces windows that FFXI is installed where Steam likes it, therefore nullifying your previous registry of where your real FFXI is installed.

Reinstalling/updating now ~_~
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-30 03:41:07
Link | Citer | R

Does anyone have FFXI installed through steam?
If so, I'd like to ask the following:

Can Aikar's windower still function with it?
Will using the windower launcher (assuming it works) still give you the functionality of communicating with friends via steam (Shift + Tab)?
Will I still be able to make dat modifications/adjustments/registry changes?
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-30 09:57:13
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Lilywolf said:
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:

please ; ;

Oh sure! I keep all of the dats I download even if I alter them or don't use em in the original state. Especially face dats, those are the most useful I think.

The creator of this dat was Perideath, and there are credits listed in a text file in the folder. These are all the originals, the one in my screenshots was edited by me to have a purple eyeshadow instead of the original bright pink/fuchsia/magenta`color. Love it ^^

Link!

omg thank u so very much <3 You have made my Monday ^^
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-30 11:39:32
Link | Citer | R

O.o I'm sorry the steam install messed you up, I didn't let mine do anything so it never occurred to me that it would edit your registry ._. I just said start install then paused it, got the code, cancelled install then uninstalled Steam itself :x it never had any time to do anything fun ;;

And I would think that you would be able to edit dats at least, it had ROM folders in the steam folder in program files, but honestly I never tried to edit them (not that there was anything downloaded by mine anyway) so idk if maybe it's a jerk and disables alteration :x

I'm sorry I screwed you up! I swear it worked less painfully for me and that was the only experience I had to go on ._.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-08-30 11:56:46
Link | Citer | R

I skipped a couple posts, but I want to toss in my two cents on a couple things:

1) I have two accounts on the same SE ID. Same billing information. It's been this way for 15 months now. Both have satchels and use the same token.

2) You simply open windower again to have your second window. You don't have to copy the install folder to a separate location. I believe this was the case a long *** time ago (as in 4 years ago), but no longer applies.

3) I've heard nothing but bad things about Steam. Sure, good prices, but horrid installation and whatnot.