Thoughts?
 Bismarck.Mitchel
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Mitchel 2010-08-18 05:38:34
Link | Citer | R

Discussed pretty thoroughly here:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/3634/sch-merits#130751
Ultimately it will come down to your play style, party vs solo.

Personally i wouldn't bother with sublimation merits, it's essentially a longer charge time for an extra 50mp, you would be better suited just riding it using as and when its up. Rather go with modus veritas merits ↓

I would then consider 3/5 Enlightenment, quite a bit of utility in this, not so much so that you would need it at a 5/5 frequency. Which leaves you to add a few merits to tranquillity and focalisation for situations that would require them, not necessairly spammy stratagems.
5/5 Stormsurge definitely.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Mitchel
By Bismarck.Mitchel 2010-08-18 09:40:16
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I mean why would anyone waste all that gil on perfecting their WS sets when they're only going to whiff anyway.

Ever use your sublimation before its fully charged? Oh dam, what a waste of 5 merits...With convert @ 80 /rdm, 5/5 sublimation is even more of a waste.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sotek
user: Otek
By Bismarck.Sotek 2010-08-18 09:48:51
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Mitchel said:
Discussed pretty thoroughly here:
Rather go with modus veritas merits ↓

5/5 on Modus Veritas merits doesn't double Helices overall damage or reduce the duration reduction to 0%. +50% of -50% is -25%, not 0%.
Normal Helix lasts 100% at normal damage.
Unmerited Modus Helix lasts 50% at double damage.
5/5 Modus Helix lasts 75% at double damage.

Basically capped Modus Veritas merits will add a extra 1~2 tics to a Helix, so you're looking at an extra 200~400 damage, assuming Modus Veritas ever lands.

Since I rarely use Enlightenment I went 5/5 Stormsurge 1/5 Enlightenment and 4/5 Focalisation. Assuming SE follows the pattern and SCH gets a 5th stratagem at level 90, its 2 stratagem cost wouldn't really bother me a whole lot. As it is it's nice for 2 Hour Stratagem nuke spam and the occasional hard debuff.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-08-19 15:33:30
Link | Citer | R

i have 5/5 stormsurge and 5/5 forcalization for endgame,
the rest 5/5 subli/ 5/5 helixes, i dont waste merits on modus veritas since it got incredibly nerfed now

but forcalization its really useful kirin has not resist any of my aeros using it
 Cerberus.Zandra
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-26 10:13:15
Link | Citer | R

5/5 Helix
5/5 Sublimation

4/5 StormSurge
3/5 Focalization
3/5 Altruism

Just in case you need the extra accuracy with sleep gravity or silence.
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-08-26 11:40:28
Link | Citer | R

.............................Seriously?

Not one, but two people here recommend getting as many points as possible into stratagem abilities that they will virtually never use outside of 2hr, in favor of putting a single point into Enlightenment?

Please, don't listen to these guys. Enlightenment is a very important and useful ability that every SCH should have. SCH's biggest limitation is its reliance on charges. Anything that saves you charges (like Enlightenment) should be one of your top priorities...

With that said, I don't believe it's worth capping Enlightenment since I personally don't find myself needing to use it much more than once every 10 minutes. Nevertheless, you should definitely have it unlocked, at the very least.

I think every SCH's basic merit setup should be:

5/5 Helix MATK/MACC
5/5 Stormsurge
1/5 Enlightenment

The rest doesn't matter too much; put it wherever best suits your play style.

I personally opt for 4/5 Focalization for group 2. It's not really worth it getting more than one of the meritable stratagems since the strength of them is almost laughable unless they're capped or almost capped. Due to the fact that it can and should be used on every spell if you're nuking in Dark Arts and getting free charges from Tabula Rasa, I believe that you'll easily get the most bang for your buck out of Focalization (you should scarcely, if ever use them outside of Tabula Rasa because the cost of 2 charges is rather crippling and not worth it in 99.9% of all situations). It's very nice for squeezing out some extra MACC while spamming nukes on a highly resistant target like Kirin. The same can't be said for all the other stratagems. I can't envision myself using Altruism more than a small handful of times before Tabula Rasa wears off.

For group 1, there aren't any other outstanding options so it doesn't make much difference. I find Modus Veritas a little lackluster as of the 2009 update but it's great when it actually works. Max Sublimation is also pretty lackluster; if you calculate the extra MP actually gained per minute from these merits when you're using sublimation to its full potential the numbers are pretty much negligibly small.
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-26 13:06:54
Link | Citer | R

I gotta be honest. I don't like enlightenment because I don't find myself in many situations where I need access to the other art that doesn't require the addition use of a stratagem.

I'll usually only drop from dark arts mode into light arts mode if I need to accession silena the party or accession paralyna the party or something like it. Otherwise I let the main healer handle it. If I'm the main healer there isn't much reason to drop out of light arts (add white) ever. I suppose if I get paralyzed or something it would be useful.

I'll usually only drop from light arts to dark arts if the opportunity arises to finish off the mob with a T4 nuke. I could see enlightenment being useful here, but I rarely ever nuke without parsimony and/or ebullience so again I'm in the same perdicament.

Then again I can count the number of times I've used altruism on one hand.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [328 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-07-20 12:38:22
Link | Citer | R

didn't bother to read the whole thread but Modus Veritas are worthless now after they nerfed it. Since it can miss completly (specially on things u'd actually want use on).

err not sure how it came to be posting in this thread when was trying post in thread with same name in recent post...
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [229 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-03-05 08:06:49
Link | Citer | R

Bump!
I'm trying to decide on what merits I should put into my SCH, I've decided so far on:

Helix Acc/Atk 5/5

Stormsurge 5/5
Enlightenment 5/5

I'm considering Modus Veritas, but I've not read anything about how often it misses against what sort of targets. I've heard it doesn't matter in Abyssea, but I've heard nothing about outside. Was just wondering whether or not I should bother putting Modus merits on or whether its accuracy is too low to make it worthwhile?
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-03-05 09:08:04
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't bother doing Modus Veritas merits since it can completely miss on any target, and grimoire recast sadly doesn't have any effect on spellcasting so didn't bother that either.

5/5 max sublimation
5/5 helix macc/atk

stormsurge 5/5
enlightenment 5/5

I didn't like the other merit strategems because of 2 charges but still didn't even though SE changed it to one charge.
 Phoenix.Eckeward
Serveur: Phoenix
user: eckeward
By Phoenix.Eckeward 2012-03-06 03:24:27
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Zuidar said: »
I didn't like the other merit strategems because of 2 charges but still didn't even though SE changed it to one charge.

Yeah, the only one that seems vaguely useful is Black Magic: Magic Accuracy. I'm considering getting it solely for Tabula Rasa.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [64 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-05-09 13:58:39
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone here removed their elemental and/or enfeeb merits? Been thinking of doing so and getting healing magic merits instead.

Leaning more towards removing enfeebling magic merits, just because of all the magic acc. gear SCH has access to currently.
 Sylph.Kiaru
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-05-09 14:00:45
Link | Citer | R

16 healing skill is like +10 cured on cure4.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-05-09 14:03:36
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Cuelebra said: »
Has anyone here removed their elemental and/or enfeeb merits? Been thinking of doing so and getting healing magic merits instead.

Leaning more towards removing enfeebling magic merits, just because of all the magic acc. gear SCH has access to currently.

currently I have

8/8 Enchaning magic merits

4/8 on both enfeeble and dark magic merits

the rest were used on blue magic merits.

I was thinking about taking off enfeeble magic merits since it might no longer be necessary when they update the changes to enfeebling magic resistance.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-05-09 14:12:24
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Zuidar said: »
I was thinking about taking off enfeeble magic merits since it might no longer be necessary when they update the changes to enfeebling magic resistance.

What changes are they making to enfeeb magic resistance?

I currently have

8/8 enhancing
8/8 enfeeb
8/8 elemental.

Was thinking of swapping enfeeb and elemental for Dark Magic and healing. Since i really dont see elemental/enfeebling doing much for SCH currently.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-05-09 14:17:33
Link | Citer | R

With klimaform you basically always have 100% macc on that element, but without temps I'm pretty sure VW level mobs(or any stronger mobs they add) would actually resist you on spells that aren't for your current weather. Healing skill +16 is literally +10 cured on cure4.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-05-09 17:34:29
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Kiaru said: »
With klimaform you basically always have 100% macc on that element, but without temps I'm pretty sure VW level mobs(or any stronger mobs they add) would actually resist you on spells that aren't for your current weather. Healing skill +16 is literally +10 cured on cure4.

So it is better than ascetics? I should remember that next time I have stun duty at provenance to combat resist building up. Alacrity+stun is a beautiful thing :D
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-05-09 17:46:50
Link | Citer | R

Yeah klimaform is tons more acc and even more damage than ascetics, apparently you can stack them both if you cancel the intension buff part of ascetics but I haven't tried it yet so can't confirm it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Roderik
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Roderick
By Quetzalcoatl.Roderik 2012-05-13 23:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Yes, if you cancel the accuracy portion of the drink you can get the klimaform accuracy and +2 empyrean damage boost. The accuracy overwrites klimaform which is unfortunate.