Ethereal Or Magnetic?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Ethereal or Magnetic?
Ethereal or Magnetic?
 Siren.Catabolic
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-17 22:01:58
Link | Citer | R

Okay here's an interesting debate. Which earring should you choose for a PLD? Ethereal or Magnetic earring(these are obtained for those who don't know from completing the Apocolypse Nigh quests after beating both COP and Zilart expansions) I know a lot of people would instantly say Ethereal but is it really that hands down?

Lets say you take 3k dmg in a fight (which I would think is a longer fight) That would only translate into 90 mps total. Is that really better than 8% spell interruption down and +5 conserve mp? I don't have numbers to support this but I would think the conserve mp+5 alone would produce more mp than the converts 3% of dmg taken into mps from Ethereal. Let alone spell interruption +8% being awesome.

Granted I lean towards Magnetic anyways cause 2 mage jobs @80.

Is my thinking off here? What is peoples take on the subject?
By chichi 2010-08-17 22:03:30
Link | Citer | R

ethernal...trust me
By chichi 2010-08-17 22:03:45
Link | Citer | R

ethereal*
 Alexander.Temaruma
Serveur: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-17 22:09:09
Link | Citer | R

Neither are particularly amazing, any other jobs/up coming jobs you play?
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-08-17 22:14:58
Link | Citer | R

Hallow earring
By chichi 2010-08-17 22:16:06
Link | Citer | R

hollow earring is cool for rdm/nin :P
 Alexander.Temaruma
Serveur: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-17 22:18:51
Link | Citer | R

Ahh didn't even think of hollow for the enhancement spell damage.

It could also be used on your PLD if you don't have suppanomimi for atonement tping.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-08-17 22:19:03
Link | Citer | R

chichi said:
hollow earring is cool for rdm/nin :P
i dont know monk and ranger benefits with it fine
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-17 22:51:30
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Temaruma said:
Ahh didn't even think of hollow for the enhancement spell damage.

It could also be used on your PLD if you don't have suppanomimi for atonement tping.
Suppa/Hollow is better than Suppa/Brutal for a Joyeuse PLD if your hitrate is uncapped with Brutal Earring, so it's good even if you do have Suppa.
 Siren.Itachi
By Siren.Itachi 2010-08-17 23:02:02
Link | Citer | R

I know you say pld only, but if you ever lvl drg you'll be extremely glad with ethereal.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-17 23:02:14
Link | Citer | R

Highly depends on what you are fighting and how often you are casting and such but magnetics effects (or the loss of them after changing) are very noticable.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-08-17 23:18:42
Link | Citer | R

I wish I had picked Hollow looking back.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-17 23:24:14
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gimmeurselables said:
I wish I had picked Hollow looking back.
So did I so I tossed my magnetic... I'm sorta kinda wanting magnetic back
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-18 06:31:54
Link | Citer | R

If you are looking at a PLD stand point then Ethereal is the only earring for you Period.

If you are worried about getting interrupted then Knightly earring is better than magnetic for spell interruption and alot easier to obtain now because of the level cap being removed from CoP zones.

For casting Utsu: Ichi you should be relying on your shield to get your shadows back up, this is the set I use for Ichi, my Dark ring has 3% PDT on it.

I start to cast in Loquac. earring then switch over to ethereal mid cast, if I am taking damage I like to get that MP back no matter how little it is every bit helps in the long run.
 Valefor.Argettio
Serveur: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-18 06:56:07
Link | Citer | R

Before the June update I would have said Hollow.

As people have said Hollow/Suppa is a very good combo for atonement spam.

But SE seems to want use to go back to blood tanking, so I get the feeling that ethereal will be the best in the long run.

Magnetic isn't great for PLD, you can't reach 102% spell interruption rate. Conserve MP is nice but unlikely to make or break you.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-18 07:16:03
Link | Citer | R

I don't see how SE wants everyone to start blood tanking again, yes they have come out with more PDT gear, but I guarantee you the majority of harder mobs will still wipe the floor with a PLD/WAR or /BLU. Hell 90% of the time a MNK/NIN tank is a much better choice than a PLD could ever be. Tanking with shadows is way more efficient than blood tanking could ever be for enmity as well.

It was even in the update notes when shield mastery was introduced that they wanted PLD to become a blink tank like NIN.

It was their way of fixing their own game that they broke and had no clue what they had done.
 Siren.Catabolic
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-18 10:19:38
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Temaruma said:
Neither are particularly amazing, any other jobs/up coming jobs you play?
RDM80/BLM80 only other job on the horizon to 80 after I get PLD there is gonna be RNG. Beyond that I'm not setting another job in stone. Was thinking of picking an earring that best helps PLD cause I have always picked things that helped RDM and BLM leading up to this.

Siren.Eagleeyes said:
Hallow earring
I hadn't even considered Hollow tbh. The +3 didn't seem to stick out to me as a huge increase. Is the Spell enhancement dmg that noticeable? As a point of reference I guess how much of an increase would it give(even an estimate)? I did pick Suppanomimi from DM.
Valefor.Argettio said:
Before the June update I would have said Hollow.

As people have said Hollow/Suppa is a very good combo for atonement spam.

But SE seems to want use to go back to blood tanking, so I get the feeling that ethereal will be the best in the long run.

Magnetic isn't great for PLD, you can't reach 102% spell interruption rate. Conserve MP is nice but unlikely to make or break you.

Actually I was thinking the other way. I was thinking since the level increase PLD's take much less physical dmg(excluding solo). With most mage jobs being /sch PLD (from my own personal experience doing endgame as primarily rdm in tank pty) takes much less physical dmg cause of how often they have up stoneskin and or blink on. Not to mention them being able to cast phalanx on themselves. Which is why I also was wondering if Magnetic might have just bridged the gap?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-18 12:11:41
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:

I hadn't even considered Hollow tbh. The +3 didn't seem to stick out to me as a huge increase. Is the Spell enhancement dmg that noticeable? As a point of reference I guess how much of an increase would it give(even an estimate)? I did pick Suppanomimi from DM.

It's a straight +3. (E*6)/100+3 +3 I think?

Siren.Catabolic said:

Actually I was thinking the other way. I was thinking since the level increase PLD's take much less physical dmg(excluding solo). With most mage jobs being /sch PLD (from my own personal experience doing endgame as primarily rdm in tank pty) takes much less physical dmg cause of how often they have up stoneskin and or blink on. Not to mention them being able to cast phalanx on themselves. Which is why I also was wondering if Magnetic might have just bridged the gap?

Bridged what gap? It's not enough interupt% to do anything worthwhile, if someone's AoEing Aquaveil then you have 103% interupt anyway. Plus the conserve mp may or may not ever be used much, you'd want +enmity for cures and will likely be using hospitaler/hp+ earring for cheats. Ethereal's a nice bonus, nothing more, though also useful for cure cheats. Hollow is handy for TPing.