SMN in Abyssea
First Page 2
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-17 06:40:55
Link | Citer | R

So I just got a PT in Abyssea on my SMN, but no-one in the PT will tell me what I'm meant to be doing XD

No-one in my LS knows either.

So what exactly is my job in there? Pop off BP's and Rest up? Be an Avatar Favour ***? I don't knowwwww! HALP ._.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-17 06:47:31
Link | Citer | R

You can trigger Azure lights with the Merit Blood pacts. They have a greater margin of error than nukes.

Hastega spam is also a good idea, if there is nobody doing haste. Keep it on, and the melee will suck your Tumbling Truffle... Seriously.

Avatar's favor *** is also another option, but a little boring. It weakens your avatars attack ability correct? That's no fun.
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-17 06:51:43
Link | Citer | R

you can also look epic with your:

"pull a couple of mobs"..
"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken
"can i have the restore item in that chest pls?!"

^^
[+]
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-08-17 06:59:04
Link | Citer | R

SMN in Abyssea is simple.
Get into a DD party and keep hastega up 100% of the time, then put up a buff of your choice.
If you get stuck w/ mages, give them Dream Shroud and... a buff of your choice.
Kick back and gain exp.
If you have time to assault and rage a mob, something is wrong.
 Fenrir.Kiraa
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Kiraa
By Fenrir.Kiraa 2010-08-17 07:00:02
Link | Citer | R

When i'm in abyssea as smn, i Odin a group of mobs and until a restore chest pops im refresh *** for the mages..... Also, strangely enough all smn BPs, including the merit BPs count as melee attacks thus give pearl light.
[+]
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-08-17 07:00:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rinkydink said:

"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken

^^
Yes! This as well.
 Ifrit.Vextra
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-17 07:02:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rinkydink said:

"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken

^^

Zantetzuken only works with mobs that link, that being said if you have capped lights its pretty cool to get a quick kill every once in awhile.
 Fenrir.Kiraa
By Fenrir.Kiraa 2010-08-17 07:02:38
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Siccmade said:
SMN in Abyssea is simple.
Get into a DD party and keep hastega up 100% of the time, then put up a buff of your choice.
If you get stuck w/ mages, give them Dream Shroud and... a buff of your choice.
Kick back and gain exp.
If you have time to assault and rage a mob, something is wrong.
Yes! This as well. >.>
[+]
 Fenrir.Kiraa
By Fenrir.Kiraa 2010-08-17 07:04:23
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Asura.Rinkydink said:

"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken

^^

Zantetzuken only works with mobs that link, that being said if you have capped lights its pretty cool to get a quick kill every once in awhile.
The Mandies don't link and i was knocking off 2-3 at a time.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-17 07:07:56
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Kiraa said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Asura.Rinkydink said:

"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken

^^

hmmm, okay disregard my previous post then. How close where they to the target mob? ive had lizzies on top of each other.
 Fenrir.Kiraa
By Fenrir.Kiraa 2010-08-17 07:14:36
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Fenrir.Kiraa said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Asura.Rinkydink said:

"why?"

xxx uses Astral Flow
Odin Uses Zantetzuken

^^

hmmm, okay disregard my previous post then. How close where they to the target mob? ive had lizzies on top of each other.
I wanna say the accuracy of Zantetzuken depends on smn magic skill. As for distance between them i always made sure they were very close to each other. the max I've taken out at once was 4 bats that a thf had linked.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-17 07:18:45
Link | Citer | R

zantetzuken pretty sure depends on remaining mp, ive missed before with 100 mp, but never at 1k+
 Asura.Chaparrita
user: Dish
By Asura.Chaparrita 2010-08-17 08:06:06
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Vextra said:
zantetzuken pretty sure depends on remaining mp, ive missed before with 100 mp, but never at 1k+
I've come to the conclusion that it's completely random. I've killed up to 4 while my target evades. I've killed 3 straight up. I've missed 3 straight up. All while having full MP and 350 skill.
 Fenrir.Elytonas
user: Elytonas
By Fenrir.Elytonas 2010-08-17 08:25:34
Link | Citer | R

Used Hastega and Shiva with Heavenly Strike (Was dealing good dmg with 5/5 MATK and 5/5 Heavenly Strike merits)
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-17 08:27:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Chaparrita said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
I've come to the conclusion that it's completely random. I've killed up to 4 while my target evades. I've killed 3 straight up. I've missed 3 straight up. All while having full MP and 350 skill.

eyeballed? just saying.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-17 08:36:30
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Rowland said:

Also when your lights are built up (and you talk it over with the chest ***) you can get the recovery chests that reset your 2hr and use Odin for more exp and more chest drops.

This... 1000x this! I love smns in Abyssea with Odin. I had a lizard party and we got to a point where we were getting 400+/kill and every recovery chest we'd have a smn use odin and kill like 5 lizards at once lol it was really sick...it was like every recovery chest turned into an exp chest+1. It was the best abyssea group I had. We were in there for just under 5 hours and got 255k+ exp
 Leviathan.Tip
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Soho
By Leviathan.Tip 2010-08-17 08:40:40
Link | Citer | R

When I build Abyssea Exp PTs I always try to get a SMN with 317+ Skill for the BLM Party because Diabolos' Favor doesn't interrupt the Chest-Opener (ie No AoE Buffs in that Party).

I try to do PT's like this:
Party #1
BLM
BLM
BLM
RDM
SMN (Preferably 317+ Skill)
Chest-Opener

Party #2
DD
DD
DD
BRD/DNC/COR
BRD/DNC/COR
Heals

Party #3
Voke (Main Assist)
Puller
DD
BRD/DNC/COR
BRD/DNC/COR
Heals
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-17 09:26:36
Link | Citer | R

here's how i roll on 80 smn.

i ask to try get in with atleast a group full of DD or a group with x1 rdm and x4 DD

i use fenrir to buff the DD with accuracy and evasion because accuracy can stink in there.then i toss out some hastega to the group.

once those buffs are done i start doing damage with the level 78 BP iirc named Lunar Bay.

if you've doing mandys Lunar Bay rip's them apart for 1k+
bare in mind i dont have any merit's in avatar magic attack at tho mo,Lunar Bay is a pure magic attack so try not to get the finishing kill with it unless you told to do magic kills.

Lunar Bay also has damage increase and decrease dependant on moon fase so have a read up on it :)

from my personaly experiance on mandys predator claws was way too weak and inconsistent,ramuh seemed stronger pre 78.

hope this helps you decide how you would like to roll as smn in abbyssea.

Edit:forgot to say i dont use avatar's favour because it weaken's blood pacts.i will use it but for short burst like is party getting pawned ill smn carby use avatars favour then do healing ruby II and toss out some regens and wait till every one is healthy again,cancel avatars favour,then revert back to the above i wrote.
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-17 09:32:56
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Tip said:
When I build Abyssea Exp PTs I always try to get a SMN with 317+ Skill for the BLM Party because Diabolos' Favor doesn't interrupt the Chest-Opener

or you have the chest opener.. /blockaid

cos i dare say if its a good enoguh party the chest opener will be doing only that and it wont matter what buffs they miss out on
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2010-08-17 09:35:52
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Ronson said:

if you've doing mandys Lunar Bay rip's them apart for 1k+
bare in mind i dont have any merit's in avatar magic attack at tho mo,Lunar Bay is a pure magic attack so try not to get the finishing kill with it unless you told to do magic kills.

Unfortunately I can attest that our magical Rage bloodpacts will still give Pearlescent light when it gives the killshot.

Rinkydink, /blockaid doesn't affect members in your own party/alliance, so having it on wouldn't prevent anyone in their group from casting on them.
 Hades.Cahlum
Serveur: Hades
user: Cahlum
By Hades.Cahlum 2010-08-17 09:40:15
Link | Citer | R

Reason why you may see zant just not hitting mobs is because its conal not AoE
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-17 09:45:35
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Vlorsutes said:
Carbuncle.Ronson said:
if you've doing mandys Lunar Bay rip's them apart for 1k+ bare in mind i dont have any merit's in avatar magic attack at tho mo,Lunar Bay is a pure magic attack so try not to get the finishing kill with it unless you told to do magic kills.
Unfortunately I can attest that our magical Rage bloodpacts will still give Pearlescent light when it gives the killshot. Rinkydink, /blockaid doesn't affect members in your own party/alliance, so having it on wouldn't prevent anyone in their group from casting on them.

im not really up on abbyssea lights and such i just go there listen and kick ***in :)

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Bay

im just reffering to the part this link says its a pure magic ability there for thought it might help mentioning it to smn's who havent read up on its damage type.

for those who havent read up on this move:

Full Moon: No damage bonus
Gibbous Moon: Low damage bonus
Half Moon: Medium damage bonus
Crescent Moon: High damage bonus
New Moon: Maximum damage bonus
 Bahamut.Weasel
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2010-08-17 09:50:53
Link | Citer | R

If you're gonna be purely a refresher for the mage party with Diabolos's Favor, might as well sub BRD or COR. Aside from that, nothing wrong with throwing an Odin here or there when the mages are in good shape. :) I've done it.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-17 11:57:53
Link | Citer | R

Thanks a lot for the advice guys ^^ It's been great reading through the replies. Turns out I was meant to be healing everyone, or at least it seemed like that when my PT was virtually dead because I wasn't watching their HP >_>

So I changed to WHM but had to leave ~1hr after the PT started.

Either way, it's good to know roughly what I'm looking to do as SMN in a PT now XD
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-17 12:14:48
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Thanks a lot for the advice guys ^^ It's been great reading through the replies. Turns out I was meant to be healing everyone, or at least it seemed like that when my PT was virtually dead because I wasn't watching their HP >_> So I changed to WHM but had to leave ~1hr after the PT started. Either way, it's good to know roughly what I'm looking to do as SMN in a PT now XD

your a back up healer at best let them know it :)

i feel ya manys time ive had to spam cure III and it dont cut it when something terrible happens :(
By Asura.Knightofdragon 2010-08-17 12:29:49
Link | Citer | R

Mage Pt = Refreshga+ Dream Shroud, Also use odin and get restore chests :)
Melee pts = Hastega if No Mage use Carb regen and odd cure otherwise udnt have much2 do
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-08-17 13:00:48
Link | Citer | R

I took my smn 75~80 pulling with carby in abyssea.

I took brd 75~80 pulling in abyssea also and id have to say carby pulling was a lot easier.

No need to worry about shadows or triple attack from the mandies.

Carby can hold a mob for nearly 2 mins if need be.. (like somebody decides to attack something you didn't pull >.>)

edit: do need to understand it takes longer to pull on smn than brd so you need to start your pull earlier though ;p
 Odin.Mikumaru
Serveur: Odin
user: Mikumaru
By Odin.Mikumaru 2010-08-17 14:58:04
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Rowland said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
You can trigger Azure lights with the Merit Blood pacts. They have a greater margin of error than nukes.
False. Avatars only give Pearlescent light, no matter what they do, it is always pearlescent. That being said, it gives pearlescent light what seems to be 100% of the time when killed with a BP. Just like a black mage getting magic kills gives azure light 100%. Which is amazing to have at least 1 smn to make sure you're getting the lights you need since I'm sure your alliance has at least 2 blms. Also when your lights are built up (and you talk it over with the chest ***) you can get the recovery chests that reset your 2hr and use Odin for more exp and more chest drops. If you somehow find yourself in a party full of DDs without any other support, carby's favor does pretty well with like a 24hp/tic regen. Or if you're in a party of blms, use diabolo's refresh. Otherwise just DD and hope you get smn skill ups.

This is what SMN does in AByssea . You make Perle and when youre not makin pearl thru BP killz , you support the PT you in .
Hastega and an Ecliptic BP seem to werk well , While Favor is cool (refreshga in Mage PT is about the only useful one honestly) its very boring .
Tho being a Favor *** would also allow you to be a Chest *** . dub ho isnt bad . keeps you busy right ?
Serveur: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2010-08-17 15:12:57
Link | Citer | R

I sort of have a related question. Usually when im in blm party i use diabolos favor. But if they already have a cor or brd in the party to give refresh, do you think doing a different favor would be more beneficial (like shiva's) or just give more refresh?
First Page 2