T.K Modifiers Help

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » T.K Modifiers Help
T.K Modifiers Help
By rumpetkill 2010-08-13 13:27:54
Link | Citer | R

I've been switching off and on from more VIT to more STR. The numbers of damage bounces back and forth making me unsure which is better. The only thing i switch are the 2 rings and the neck. I have both STR +4 on them and VIT +4 on them. So whichever it will always be +12 to that 1 stat, BUT using VIT has a 22 difference of being higher over STR BUT the STR modifier is higher than VIT.

The attribute difference in my WS set:

The one that has higher STR stat:
STR total of 109.
VIT total of 107. (3 difference)

The one that has higher VIT stat:
STR total of 97.
VIT total of 119. (22 difference)

This is probably easy to tell for some of you out there that knows which is better.

Is going VIT better for me since I can pull it higher than STR. Even despite the (Fact?) that STR is 30.7% while VIT is 30%.
All the items had +Attributes to them excluding the earrings and wep. (Used Ursine Claws)

The damage numbers are jumpy going back and forth. I used the same mob.

Basically I just want one that will do me good in the long run of a fight.
Which one should I use?
[+]
 Hades.Eliane
Serveur: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-08-13 13:29:26
Link | Citer | R

Enter Tigerwoods!
[+]
 Diabolos.Phoenyyx
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Phoenyyx
By Diabolos.Phoenyyx 2010-08-13 13:43:27
Link | Citer | R

http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/182390-tornado-kick-testing/page__view__findpost__p__3855418

STR mod is 37.5%

I would personally focus on STR. You should have a decent amount of STR for Howling Fist macro and could probably use the same basic macro with a few substitutions for Tornado Kick.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-13 13:49:36
Link | Citer | R

STR nearly always has a more positive effect on WS' than any other mod, unless the difference between them was huge.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-13 13:54:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm no MNK, but it's always been my understanding that when there's two modifiers on a WeaponSkill, and they're equally weighted, and one is STR .... that more STR tends to produce higher damage, versus stacking the other modifier.

I believe the math reasoning behind this is that one's STR value affects both the STR modifier and the fSTR factor.

This is why you don't see DRKs stacking INT into WS builds for Insurgency or Spinning Slash. Using a Flame Ring gives a nice little extra bonus (STR+5, INT+2), but you aren't going to see a DRK equipping Snow and Omega Rings in order to utilize the INT modifier.

A select few WeaponSkills have unusually high non-STR modifier values, such as Steel Cyclone (VIT 50%) and Ground Strike (INT 50%). Specific pieces of armor might be used for these WeaponSkills, like Genbu's Kabuto (VIT+15) or Abyss Gauntlets (INT+8). However, these are the exception, and not the rule, and the VIT 30% modifier on Tornado Kick probably doesn't justify paying VIT much attention, unless you can't find a STR or accuracy piece for a specific armor slot. It's a 2-hit WeaponSkill, so you can't throw accuracy to the wind.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-13 13:57:07
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

I believe the math reasoning behind this is that one's STR value affects both the STR modifier and the fSTR factor.

This is correct, but TK is one hit not two.
[+]
 Diabolos.Phoenyyx
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Phoenyyx
By Diabolos.Phoenyyx 2010-08-13 14:04:03
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

This is correct, but TK is one hit not two.
No, it's two (three due to the "off hand" hit).
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-13 14:18:45
Link | Citer | R

Yeah apologies, I was thinking Dragon Kick for some reason. /derp
[+]
 Sylph.Jetu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2010-08-13 20:00:25
Link | Citer | R

tornado kick is actualy a 3 hit WS, and can be easily prooven by looking at TP return & actual vs expected dmg

tornado kick is said as being a 2 hit WS in the help text, it gives full TP for the 1st hit & 1 tp for the 2nd hit just like any other multi hit WS, and then there is the "off hand" hit which then gives you full TP return also just like any h2h WS or any WS that is used while dual wielding
 Sylph.Rorrick
Serveur: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-08-13 20:39:42
Link | Citer | R

AKA 13 TP for first hit, 13 TP for second hit, 1 TP for third hit. Total of 27.

Dragon Kick is two hits.
[+]