Future Trial Of The Magians Speculations

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Magian Trials » Future Trial of the Magians speculations
Future Trial of the Magians speculations
 Odin.Kalico
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-11 12:53:38
Link | Citer | R

I don't think we'll get the TOTM Armor upgrades until the last expantion. There is still 2 expantions of gear yet to be released for lv 76-99. I'm sure they will let us get a taste of that b4 they open up armor upgrades might not even be worth it at that point. They haven't released any real good weapons unless it was via TOTM so i think The TOTM weapons will be the bread & butter 76+ -vs- Armor as we have already seen new shiney armor that has surpassed the old stuff... idk just MO 8)

Edit: I'm still waiting on se to lower the trial requirments or was se just telling fibs o.o
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 12:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said:
As already mentioned before, gear that has taken players a long time to acquire need trials to make them competitive with future updates. I agree with this entirely.

Something I would like to see are HQ crafting items that have gone obsolete because of gear introduced with the level cap increase. Some of these players have worked long and hard to get their craft up to 100, only to watch it get shot down thanks to new gear introduced in this update that make their crafting obsolete. Somethings that come to mind are HQ elemental staves that have become obsolete thanks to TotM staves, or gear like haubergeon +1s that will most likely go obsolete in the near future with the level cap increase to 90. Yes, there will most likely by high level synergy recipes that will occur in the future, but that will most likely require several players with 100 crafts to make. Individual crafters are probably feeling the market shrink already thanks to the level 80 cap increase.

Probably my wishful thinking, honestly, but it would be nice to see =p

The market is shrinking, really. And with very little to farm these days, it's like we're having an economic crisis in-game. I can't even figure out what to farm anymore with the little Imperial Standing and Seals I have left.

Perhaps SE plans to have new crafting options in place, or if they don't, they could end up trial-izing stand-out pieces such as that. I wouldn't count on it though, honestly.
 Asura.Isiolia
Serveur: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-08-11 13:04:16
Link | Citer | R

Well, the way I see it in either case - for an ideal situation anyway - is that existing good Rare/EX items should count for more in terms of trading up.

The point shouldn't be that you obviously had the time, or were willing to spend the effort to get the harder to get gear before, so now you can work harder to keep it good.

Quote:
That would still create favoritism towards the Cruor gear, given how competitive it already is towards gear we've fought long and hard for. I honestly wouldn't agree with it if SE's trying to give the hardcore players a reason to keep the gear they've gotten over the course of the years.

I think it would depend on the difficulty, and the end result.

It'd work fine, I think, if cruor gear required a good bit more work, and perhaps a slightly lesser end result, to balance for the fact that it's basically handed to you.

Even if you, say, upgraded Homam and Aurore pieces to be close in function, if it took a fraction of the time to upgrade Homam, without needing rare drops, or whatever, then there's an advantage to going that route versus tossing everything in favor of Aurore.

On the other hand, if they do things like they have with Relic and make you do 10x the work for slightly better stats, then yeah, it'd be a problem.
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-08-11 13:10:52
Link | Citer | R

NewTrial said:

New Trial: 666

Weaponskill killshot in group of 6, while under primal brew..

*** YOU SE.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 13:20:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Isiolia said:
Well, the way I see it in either case - for an ideal situation anyway - is that existing good Rare/EX items should count for more in terms of trading up.

The point shouldn't be that you obviously had the time, or were willing to spend the effort to get the harder to get gear before, so now you can work harder to keep it good.

It would have been interesting if SE did something like with the CoP rings where the shift from 75-99 would be something like, for example with Apocalypse: DMG:103~hundredsomething & Accuracy+20~35. All the way to 99.

Quote:
Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
That would still create favoritism towards the Cruor gear, given how competitive it already is towards gear we've fought long and hard for. I honestly wouldn't agree with it if SE's trying to give the hardcore players a reason to keep the gear they've gotten over the course of the years.

I think it would depend on the difficulty, and the end result.

It'd work fine, I think, if cruor gear required a good bit more work, and perhaps a slightly lesser end result, to balance for the fact that it's basically handed to you.

Even if you, say, upgraded Homam and Aurore pieces to be close in function, if it took a fraction of the time to upgrade Homam, without needing rare drops, or whatever, then there's an advantage to going that route versus tossing everything in favor of Aurore.

On the other hand, if they do things like they have with Relic and make you do 10x the work for slightly better stats, then yeah, it'd be a problem.

That actually sounds better now that you've put it that way, assuming Perle follows that same trend.
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-11 13:26:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Isiolia said:
Well, the way I see it in either case - for an ideal situation anyway - is that existing good Rare/EX items should count for more in terms of trading up. The point shouldn't be that you obviously had the time, or were willing to spend the effort to get the harder to get gear before, so now you can work harder to keep it good.
Quote:
I think it would depend on the difficulty, and the end result. It'd work fine, I think, if cruor gear required a good bit more work, and perhaps a slightly lesser end result, to balance for the fact that it's basically handed to you. Even if you, say, upgraded Homam and Aurore pieces to be close in function, if it took a fraction of the time to upgrade Homam, without needing rare drops, or whatever, then there's an advantage to going that route versus tossing everything in favor of Aurore. On the other hand, if they do things like they have with Relic and make you do 10x the work for slightly better stats, then yeah, it'd be a problem.

well on the Homam note I hope you didn't toss your set for Auro because only the Alegs are better by +6 acc.

On another note about the decline in good ah stuff.
I think its se's way of dealing with RMT. No offense to any one but AH Weapons and armor is garbage for the most part accessories are still relivant it seem like the ah Gear is only good for lvs 1-75 now
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-11 13:30:59
Link | Citer | R

I'm not really sure why we couldn't TotM +1 and NQ versions of the same gear... ?

Take Shura Haidate
DEF:30 HP-35 STR+5 Accuracy+7
LV 73 MNK SAM NIN

Versus

Shura Haidate +1
DEF:31 HP-40 STR+6 Accuracy+8
LV 73 MNK SAM NIN

Now... add +2 STR and 2 Acc via TotM, ... the +1 is still +1, no? If they scale the stats that are already on them, or add a new stat altogether, such as + 5 attack, the +1s would still edge out the NQs.

Not sure why they couldn't augment the +1s is what I mean. Maybe I'm not seeing something that someone can point out?
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-11 13:36:44
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Chupacabra said:
I'm not really sure why we couldn't TotM +1 and NQ versions of the same gear... ? Take Shura Haidate DEF:30 HP-35 STR+5 Accuracy+7 LV 73 MNK SAM NIN Versus Shura Haidate +1 DEF:31 HP-40 STR+6 Accuracy+8 LV 73 MNK SAM NIN Now... add +2 STR and 2 Acc via TotM, ... the +1 is still +1, no? If they scale the stats that are already on them, or add a new stat altogether, such as + 5 attack, the +1s would still edge out the NQs. Not sure why they couldn't augment the +1s is what I mean. Maybe I'm not seeing something that someone can point out?

What on earth are you talking about? lol
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-11 13:38:59
Link | Citer | R

Earlier in the thread it was concluded that +1 gear such as relic and af couldn't be upgraded due to it already having an upgrade path via +1.

Pretty sure I posted in the same thread I read that a page back on...
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-11 13:42:55
Link | Citer | R

Earlier in the thread it was concluded that +1 gear such as relic and af couldn't be upgraded due to it already having an upgrade path via +1. Pretty sure I posted in the same thread I read that a page back on...

There are only 2 pages in this thread lol. Also No one know what gear can be upgraded via TOTM because Gear Upgrade trials haven't been implimented yet. Evey one is just saying "what if" and "it would be nice" atm. 8)
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 13:45:01
Link | Citer | R

You know, Now that you mention it, I suppose it could be worked around that, since augmented TotM pieces weren't exactly labeled as +1 and were only given the AUG/RARE/EX labels.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-11 13:47:30
Link | Citer | R

/sigh...

Earlier in the thread, a page back... that meaning page 1, sorry bout the confusion. "Concluded" meaning that people were just assuming that no, you could not upgrade gear with a +1 option. I want to know why we jumped to that conclusion.

Maybe I wasn't completely clear, and for that, I apologize.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 13:48:14
Link | Citer | R

No harm done. We're merely just speculating in this thread, after all. Nothing's definite yet.
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-08-11 13:50:23
Link | Citer | R

/sigh... Earlier in the thread, a page back... that meaning page 1, sorry bout the confusion. "Concluded" meaning that people were just assuming that no, you could not upgrade gear with a +1 option. I want to know why we jumped to that conclusion. Maybe I wasn't completely clear, and for that, I apologize.

I bolded tha answer for you 0.0
 Siren.Clinpachi
Serveur: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-11 13:54:28
Link | Citer | R

Can't wait to see if salvage gear and sea torques will be upgraded.

I bet yes on both :D
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-08-11 14:00:45
Link | Citer | R

Aegis upgrade: Block 1500 attacks? lol
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-11 14:01:06
Link | Citer | R

lolreadingcomprehensionfail.

I'm not sure when we'll see the armor upgrades. I'm hoping we see af/relic/god/sea gear though. Although Salvage seems like the most likely candidate. Followed by dynamis/sky/AF armors. I'm hoping we can pick paths like we can on the standard TotM weapons. Would be nice to add different things to personalize our gear a bit.

I plan to get the first sorc. petasos with VIT and STR on it! ... -_-
 Asura.Rule
Serveur: Asura
user: Rule
By Asura.Rule 2010-08-11 14:05:33
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Aegis upgrade: Block 1500 attacks? lol

Finishing blow with shield bash to Flayers during earth weather O_o
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-08-11 14:18:19
Link | Citer | R

Quetz.. I have to say, you are out of your mind. I already put over a year of dynamis and millions of gil into my weapon. If I were just getting it now, it arguably wouldn't be the best until I take the month+ to grind out EP mobs. Could you do each trial in 2-3 days? Yeah, if thats ALL you do and have a PL/alt account hasting and curing you.

Also, I have plenty to do with my time. I have other jobs, other events I like, and whatnot. I can think of 100 things off the top of my head I would be more willing to do than sit in Fort KNS and kill rafflesia until I can't see straight. I can assure you, it is in NO way a fun task.

Why is it the thought of "Oh they got a relic, they must not have anything else to do!"
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 14:36:19
Link | Citer | R

I understand that relic holders do often still play the game and enjoy things still, but the context of what I said was most of the time, not all the time. And as far as the trials go, I WOULD expect it to take around a month to complete. 2-3 days would be ridiculous.

As for that thought, I'm not generalizing all relic holders has people having nothing more to do, It's just what I've seen out of people I know who have relics. You really can't blame me for being around people who think they're done with the game once they've gotten everything out of it, including a relic or two.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2010-08-11 15:07:17
Link | Citer | R

When you make broad, sweeping statements like that, yeah you are generalizing. A few people that have relics I know have quit, but the majority still play, and still strive to be the best. I am by no means saying the there shouldn't be some quest to fully power up our relic weapons, but 2000 killshots w/ weaponskill is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

If they are going to keep the numbers that high I would like to see something like:

1pt - EP
2pts - DC
3pts - EM
4pts - T
5pts - VT/IT

Or take away the need for the killshot, or WS or... something..

That way I can at least do something other than grind the same mob for hours on end and feel like I am accomplishing something. One thing that was nice, I have a ton of seals to blow now, and it is looking like I will have a ton more come the next update... more KS99's for me.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 15:07:45
Link | Citer | R

Well, I didn't mean to sound like it, so I apologize. As I said before though, I would have liked for the relics to have the same increased stats the CoP rings had when you went from certain levels to the highest. Or just make the Relic Trials less harsh, like as you said, the removal of the killshots and just be able to do the Weapon Skill on the mob.

Food for thought: ZNM Armor Sets (Enkidu, Aurum, Oracle's, Hachiryu)

Phoenix.Fredjan
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-08-11 15:18:08
Link | Citer | R

Augmented armor sounds like something from Evoliths/Synergy, not Trial of the Magians.
But, anyways, we'll probably see stuff like:
Adaman Hauberk Rare Ex
[Body] All Races
DEF:53 STR+10 DEX+10 Accuracy+15 Attack+15 Evasion-10
"Wpnskill. Acc. +10"
LV 73 WAR DRK BST

Or something like that.
 Sylph.Siccmade
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-08-11 15:20:24
Link | Citer | R

My only real concern is Salvage gear and I'm sure i mirror many people's opinions towards this.
If you're like me and have spent years doing Salvage and busting *** to pay for upgrades,
it sucks to see gears that are ridiculously easy to obtain be close in quality.
I like doing Salvage, it's one of only a few endgame events and it's still challenging.
For the most part i think the trials have been cool, albeit tedious.
So yeah, if we can't trial Salvage gear it'll basically be a waste of an event and of a lot of our time...
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-11 15:35:52
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Augmented armor sounds like something from Evoliths/Synergy, not Trial of the Magians.
But, anyways, we'll probably see stuff like:
Adaman Hauberk Rare Ex
[Body] All Races
DEF:53 STR+10 DEX+10 Accuracy+15 Attack+15 Evasion-10
"Wpnskill. Acc. +10"
LV 73 WAR DRK BST

Or something like that.
I could see something like that specifically for Abjuration armor, actually. But also perhaps upgrade the stats.
 Leviathan.Ayrlie
user: Kimmy78
By Leviathan.Ayrlie 2010-08-12 05:39:47
Link | Citer | R

If they are going to do armor sets, I totally expect them to be in the splintery chest and the augments done in a manner similar to the weapon paths.

I wished they really would reduce some of the quotas to some of those weaponskill trials.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-08-12 09:27:09
Link | Citer | R

Maybe we'll be able to upgrade the Aurore set into something that's not panty pink.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2010-08-12 09:35:35
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Remoraforever said:
NewTrial said:
New Trial: 666 Weaponskill killshot in group of 6, while under primal brew..
*** YOU SE.

Trial 666: is killing 50 monsters under wind weather/day for the great katana.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2010-08-12 11:31:40
Link | Citer | R

Dynamis Relic Gear be upgradable.
Salvage mythic gear will be upgradable.
Abjuratiion gear >Maybe
Sea Sky >maybe
Those are my guesses.
Also there will probably be base gear to upgrade like the naked weapons start.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-08-12 19:35:47
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Ayrlie said:
If they are going to do armor sets, I totally expect them to be in the splintery chest and the augments done in a manner similar to the weapon paths.

And the problem with that- FFXI's development team's design aesthetic is quite hit-and-miss, and some of the gear may not be that great. Thus, the "Ew, I have to wear this subligar to get amazing stats!?"-like mentality comes across. Of course I'll still wear it if I have to, but it doesn't mean it won't make it stupid-looking.

Maybe they'll surprise us next update, I dunno.