Lvling /DRK Past 37?? Benefits?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Lvling /DRK past 37?? Benefits?
Lvling /DRK past 37?? Benefits?
First Page 2
 Ramuh.Merlinjr
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Merlinjr
By Ramuh.Merlinjr 2010-07-30 16:17:01
Link | Citer | R

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone else can see the benefits of taking /DRK past 37 to say 49? The obvious reason is so that you don't look gimp but are there more practical reasons for doing so?

The job traits and spell lists from 37 to 49 are not exactly jaw dropping.

Thoughts?

Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 16:20:45
Link | Citer | R

Assuming this is in reference to RDM/DRK, I seriously wouldn't take it past 40 for a sub. When 90 cap rolls around /BLM will take over for RDM stun duty.
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
Serveur: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 16:35:55
Link | Citer | R

idk a subjob that can absorb strength and tp could be pretty useful for a few mains..
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-07-30 16:51:28
Link | Citer | R

The only other jobs with dark magic skill are Scholar, Red Mage, and Black Mage. That means that the only use would be to suppress enemy TP, rather than use it for extra damage (which actually could be pretty useful).
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 17:07:33
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
idk a subjob that can absorb strength and tp could be pretty useful for a few mains..
BLM, SCH, and maybe RDM are the only other jobs that could effectively utilize Absorb-TP. If you care about TP feed, you're running lowman against something fairly nasty and you're eventually going to have to deal with TP moves regardless (<25%) so I'd question the value of /DRK in such a situation as compared to support jobs that kill it faster to minimize risk or provide countermeasures against such dangerous moves.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 17:19:29
Link | Citer | R

you don't think as an example sam90/drk45 could effectively use the absorb tp against mobs of average or lower INT without being resisted? Might not be the most practical sj for sam at 90 but if you could pull it off without resist could be an interesting alternative.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 17:29:15
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
absorb tp trait
wat?

If by trait you meant spell, there's a 171 macc difference between DRK and /DRK before considering the plethora of skill and macc gear DRK main can utilize. Your Dark Magic land rate would be floored on SAM/DRK.

EDIT: 171 now, would increase further by 90 due to the way skills grow before and after 50
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-07-30 17:41:31
Link | Citer | R

well DRK did pick up Occult Acumen @ lv45
but if u really srsly see a sam90/drk45 casting.....

lack of ele skill/dark skill etc etc

only benefits of drk past 37 is lv66 for maats cap :o
maybe the 3 above jobs (SCH, BLM, RDM) for lowman situations involving keeping a NM or something from using TP moves
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 17:42:25
Link | Citer | R

fixed. yes meant spell. Its hypothetical and would definitely only be situational but id imagine there would be situations where it would be a viable option. you don't need maxed out macc to land alot of things on some mobs. at lvl 90+ its gonna be a completely new ballgame. Is it so wrong to think outside the box?
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-07-30 17:49:04
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
fixed. yes meant spell. Its hypothetical and would definitely only be situational but id imagine there would be situations where it would be a viable option. you don't need maxed out macc to land alot of things on some mobs. at lvl 90+ its gonna be a completely new ballgame. Is it so wrong to think outside the box?
need macc to land spells on higherlevel monsters than youuuu
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-07-30 17:49:43
Link | Citer | R

mnk/rdm is a very strong combo, it combines the punching power of a monk with the enspells and enfeebling prowess of a red mage.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 17:50:45
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

obviously, but some mobs have extremely low resist rates
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-07-30 17:51:41
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
doubt the "new HNM's" will have low resist rates
exp/merit mobs...yes but not the big guys
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 17:55:54
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Absorb TP is not Stun. It's by no means wrong to think outside the box, but perpetuating an idea after basic mechanics shoots it down could perhaps be considered foolish.

Seriously, the situation you're talking about is Too Weak mobs. It's not going to land on anything that matters with /DRK.
Odin.Chazzyphizzle said:
mnk/rdm is a very strong combo, it combines the punching power of a monk with the enspells and enfeebling prowess of a red mage.
I know right? And nobody goes WAR/PLD anymore :(
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-30 17:57:07
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
doubt the "new HNM's" will have low resist rates
exp/merit mobs...yes but not the big guys
where exactly does catabolic say hnm?
ctrl+f finds nothing.
edit: not saying I agree with him btw :/
efficiency>trying stuff that rarely will matter.
something to toy around with maybe though.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 17:57:27
Link | Citer | R

definitely wasn't talking HNM. HNMLS's aren't in the act of letting ppl test sjs lol. I mean more along the lines of exping, soloing, low man nms. I could see /drk being pretty sexy for like Nin at 90. Subtle blow plus absorb tp could be pretty awesome in some situations.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 17:58:24
Link | Citer | R

What non-NM monster is so dangerous that you'd insist on having Absorb-TP present when fighting it?
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-07-30 17:59:03
Link | Citer | R

I don't think Absorb-TP suppresses enemy TP tbh.... I've absorbed from 70 to 90 and the mobs still WSs in 1-3 hits.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-30 17:59:49
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
What non-NM monster is so dangerous that you'd insist on having Absorb-TP present when fighting it?
It seems like he's just talking about playing around with it :/
impractical sub is impractical :/
on that note i need to level my dark up someday.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 18:00:43
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

well in the case of sam its not the fear of it using ws's but rather sam gaining more tp faster than it already does.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-30 18:01:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

well in the case of sam its not the fear of it using ws's but rather sam gaining more tp faster than it already does.
It's really going to be counterproductive to use in comparison to other subjobs you could be using on sam IMO.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 18:06:46
Link | Citer | R

most likely yea the whole point really was why not try new things?

I was never arguing that for RDM /drk isn't useful at 90 when considering blm sub. It just blows my mind that people aren't open to trying something new at 90. If it fails you were right. If in situations it succeeds, you'll be too close minded to find out.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 18:07:13
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Alright, I'll humor you for a minute. Assuming /WAR and /DRG will not outTP /DRK for whatever reason, we are presented with a TP spamming SAM/DRK who absolutely rapes TW mobs...

...except that these mobs barely last long enough to get a meaty TP return (if they do at all), and given the delay from canceling Hasso, casting Absorb-TP, and reactivating Hasso you're not really gaining anything even in a perfect situation presents itself where the ideal cast time is exactly 60 seconds apart every time.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 18:09:23
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
By all means try new things, but keep the good and discard the bad. DNC goes /SAM now when they can afford to give up shadows, I sub WAR and RDM on BLU now when meleeing, and MNKs are using Footwork for more than a boosted Dragon Kick. The difference is that these ideas actually do something useful.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-30 18:09:34
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:

I was never arguing that for RDM /drk isn't useful at 90 when considering blm sub. It just blows my mind that people aren't open to trying something new at 90. If it fails you were right. If in situations it succeeds, you'll be too close minded to find out.
what ifs like that don't work if you already know the math for it.
By Odin.Chazzyphizzle 2010-07-30 18:10:16
Link | Citer | R

catabolic, have you tried to land abs-stat spells as say nin/drk with a dark/pluto staff on a level 75 monster? do this on any 75-80 job with no native dark magic skill, let us know how it works out.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 18:12:19
Link | Citer | R

tw mobs aside. What of easy-decent con mobs at 90. Not everything has insanely high natural resist rates. The thought is more for someone who is bored and isn't opposed to messing around. I've learned some cool things from just messing around on the game before.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-30 18:14:30
Link | Citer | R

Samurai doesn't need to gain TP faster than it does already. Absorb TP isn't going to do anything against anything except trash where /DRK would only be a play thing, nothing more.

HNM where you're not straight melee? Without being /THF it would be a slooow fight as you're not using TA on the tanks.

We encourage thinking outside the box but I'm sorry SAM/DRK isn't going to do anything tbh.

SAM/BLM anyone? There's a magian trial weapon with MaB+10 on, would be awesome combined with dark skillchain from Rana > Gekko! ^^
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-30 18:16:32
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Chazzyphizzle said:
catabolic, have you tried to land abs-stat spells as say nin/drk with a dark/pluto staff on a level 75 monster? do this on any 75-80 job with no native dark magic skill, let us know how it works out.

lvl 75 mob would be T++ con to a lvl 75. Of course you arent landing those spells on 98% of T++'s. Wasn't anywhere near what i was suggesting trying it on.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-30 18:20:25
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
tw mobs aside. What of easy-decent con mobs at 90. Not everything has insanely high natural resist rates. The thought is more for someone who is bored and isn't opposed to messing around. I've learned some cool things from just messing around on the game before.
Average joe monster has a C in meva. A level 75 monster (DC or probably EM to a 90 SAM) is thus provided with about 225 meva. If we assume INT is equal, that still leaves a ~90 macc difference to make up for between /DRK45's skill and the monster's meva. Add INT in the SAM's favor and you're still looking at 80+ macc just to match their meva. I'd consider getting a half resist a success in these conditions.
First Page 2