Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Polearm assistance
Polearm assistance
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Charliedog
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 17:30:42
Link | Citer | R

Hello, I recently completed Stingray via trial of magians.
My stingray is as follows:

DMG 83 delay 492
DMG + 18
Impulse drive dmg +10%

Now before I received Stingray, I used HQ Thallasocrat:

DMG 95 Delay 478
HP 12 DEX 3 VIT 3

So we are looking at DMG 101 delay 492 vs. DMG 95 delay 478

Now my question is; will my overall DOT be better w/ that of a lower delay polearm, or should I stick w/ my new DMG101 weapon.

I really want to clear this up as HQ thally, imo, is by far my greatest achievement in ffxi, let alone getting the gil I needed to buy it, it was also extremely rare to find.

If I ultimatly decide to use Stingray over HQ thally, I should be able to make a good amount of gil back, as I'll sell HQ thally as well as White tathlum, which I used to maintain a 6hit build.

Deep down inside, I feel the Stingray will win, but I really need help to accept the fact that it is better, and ultimatly sell HQ thally, which I hold close to my pixelated heart.

{please assist}

Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-07-17 17:50:06
Link | Citer | R

Stingray is better, higher DoT over-all, plus its easier to 6/5-hit off of!

It sucks to replace things you worked hard for =( i know.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 17:52:22
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Charliedog said:
DMG 83 delay 492
DMG + 18
Impulse drive dmg +10%
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Get the Store TP one, beats both. Full Perle + Pole Grip.
[+]
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-07-17 17:55:58
Link | Citer | R

I was never able to get an HQ Thally, and just the other day I saw one augmented with Dmg+1.
But like Karbuncle said, your new stingray will win, in all situations.

Also, I believe you'll have a very hard time selling that pretty polearm of yours, considering all the new options.

Good luck though.
Also I'd like to reccomend giving this polearm a shot, trials only took me a couple days, and it's been well worth it.

Bismarck.Osaia
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-07-17 18:09:00
Link | Citer | R

I have that same lance. Love it.
 Leviathan.Charliedog
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 18:09:53
Link | Citer | R

I like that Langdebeve, but if my memory serves me right, I dont remember seeing that in the magian chest, perhaps i'm missing something there.

So I suppose I will throw my hq love in my bazaar, need to move on sometime.

@Karbuncle: can you tell me how i can get a 5hit build w/ drg, this piques my curiosity.

@Nightfyre: I dont think I'll ever buy perle gear, lol I think my TP sets are well off for now, if not the best you can achieve so far.
well we will see what lv99 brings. x.x perhaps this Stingray was just a waste of my time, as well as all my gear /wrist lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 18:12:46
Link | Citer | R

I like that Langdebeve, but if my memory serves me right, I dont remember seeing that in the magian chest, perhaps i'm missing something there.

@Karbuncle: can you tell me how i can get a 5hit build w/ drg, this piques my curiosity.

@Nightfyre: I dont think I'll ever buy perle gear, lol I think my TP sets are well off for now, if not the best you can achieve so far.
well we will see what lv99 brings. x.x perhaps this Stingray was just a waste of my time, as well as all my gear /wrist lol
Just checking, you are aware that the full set can be obtained after a single night of Abyssea EXP and beats anything lacking HQ level haste? I have 3x Homam and the hands and legs sit in my mog safe when I'm on DRG now. I only keep the feet in my bag for Healing Breath.
 Leviathan.Charliedog
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 18:17:14
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Just checking, you are aware that the full set can be obtained after a single night of Abyssea EXP and beats anything lacking HQ level haste? I have 3x Homam and the hands and legs sit in my mog safe when I'm on DRG now. I only keep the feet in my bag for Healing Breath.

I havent really looked into the set, but as far as I know Homamx3 and walahra turban beat the haste given for perle hand/leg/feet. Maybe i have just been overlooking the entire set stats, but for now I'd like to stick w/ my walahra/aurum/x3homam :3
 Bismarck.Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-07-17 18:17:19
Link | Citer | R

The fact that full perle beats out the homam/aurum things that i wear now makes me /sad. I worked hard as hell for this stuff and i bought full perle set for less than 300k. Full perle gives me almost 100 more def, 1 more att, 2 more str, 2 more haste, and 10 more vit... very /sad. Just missing the store tp from aurum..
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 18:18:03
Link | Citer | R

I havent really looked into the set, but as far as I know Homamx3 and walahra turban beat the haste given for perle hand/leg/feet.
You are very, very wrong. Perle set has the exact same haste (typo on the head) and better offensive stats.
[+]
 Leviathan.Charliedog
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 18:18:51
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Osaia said:
The fact that full perle beats out the homam/aurum things that i wear now makes me /sad. I worked hard as hell for this stuff and i bought full perle set for less than 300k. Full perle gives me almost 100 more def, 1 more att, 2 more str, 2 more haste, and 10 more vit... very /sad.

The more I look into it, the more sad I am becoming myself, this gear, if not a lot of work, took a lot of my time to get :\
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-07-17 18:19:48
Link | Citer | R

I've been using full perle, and even though you lose 1% haste over the homam/turban. It's well worth it stat wise.

As for the Langdebeve, you need to get a Ranseur from the chest, do the bird trial to get a Stribog, then follow the Stribog earth/defense down path.

As for the Drg 5 hit:

Made this up a couple weeks back, maintain a 5hit build without using Carbonara. You still get a lot of haste and a lot of acc. If you can get the pieces, pretty decent for Dragoon. And of course you have to be /sam.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 18:20:32
Link | Citer | R

So did all those Panther Mask +1s and 100mil Thief Knives. Life goes on.

EDIT: @ above you can drop the Chiv Chain if you're willing to give up a true 6-hit or WS in some form of STP beyond Stingray/Rose/Rajas/Brutal/Aurum.
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-07-17 18:22:01
Link | Citer | R

Nightfyre you mentioned perle having the exact same haste as homam/turban.

How ?
 Bismarck.Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-07-17 18:22:43
Link | Citer | R

Meh, as true as that is, you gotta love SE for making you work hard for something, then GIVING everyone else something =/better than what u have for minimal effort. At least those panther masks+1 and thief knives made you some money.
 Caitsith.Linear
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-17 18:23:22
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:

How ?

Head has 3%. it's a NA version typo.
 Bismarck.Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-07-17 18:23:37
Link | Citer | R

Perle set is 14% haste as a SET. Typo on helm. Says 2%, but its 3% in every client but the US one.. GOGO japanese translators!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 18:24:52
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Osaia said:
Meh, as true as that is, you gotta love SE for making you work hard for something, then GIVING everyone else something =/better than what u have for minimal effort. At least those panther masks+1 and thief knives made you some money.
Dunno about you but I've made some gil off Homam in my time. Was good gil, probably won't have many buyers now though.

Copying my edit down here so it doesn't get missed:

re: 5-hit: you can drop the Chiv Chain if you're willing to give up a true 6-hit or WS in some form of STP beyond Stingray/Rose/Rajas/Brutal/Aurum.
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-07-17 18:25:52
Link | Citer | R

No ***eh?
Well then for dragoon's it really shouldn't be up for debate. Perle > Homam.

That's cool though, thanks for the tip there.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-17 18:28:06
Link | Citer | R

I'd personally use Homam/Turban mixed set for soloing though.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 18:29:25
Link | Citer | R

Don't see why, better defensive stats on Perle and you macro in HP gear for HB anyway. Bring Homam Gambieras for sure though.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-17 18:32:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Don't see why, better defensive stats on Perle and you macro in HP gear for HB anyway. Bring Homam Gambieras for sure though.

Homam/Turban looks better.

That's honestly my reason. I don't solo for exp ever.

EDIT: and it's a lot of dat swapping I don't care to do. >_>
 Leviathan.Charliedog
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 18:36:36
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
I've been using full perle, and even though you lose 1% haste over the homam/turban. It's well worth it stat wise.

As for the Langdebeve, you need to get a Ranseur from the chest, do the bird trial to get a Stribog, then follow the Stribog earth/defense down path.

As for the Drg 5 hit:

Made this up a couple weeks back, maintain a 5hit build without using Carbonara. You still get a lot of haste and a lot of acc. If you can get the pieces, pretty decent for Dragoon. And of course you have to be /sam.

lol seems a lot of that gear is obtainable from abyssea, which I've only done one run so far, havent found it too entertaining as far as getting gear for drg goes.

I suppose i was wrong... way wrong xD

I really dont want to get full Perle set, but you guys are making me rethink my decisions lol.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-07-17 18:45:02
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:

How ?

typo on se's part.

you can switch the language on ffxiah to any other language and see the helmet described as 3% haste

Bismarck.Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2010-07-17 18:46:14
Link | Citer | R

The stats on Perle are very solid. Still, I hate to wear it myself. I really hope Aurum/Ares's/Homam,etc get a Magian trial to upgrade them. Shame for such good pieces to goto waste.
 Leviathan.Charliedog
By Leviathan.Charliedog 2010-07-17 18:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Osaia said:
The stats on Perle are very solid. Still, I hate to wear it myself. I really hope Aurum/Ares's/Homam,etc get a Magian trial to upgrade them. Shame for such good pieces to goto waste.

Same, I would love to see a Homam cosciales +1 in future updates. :)
SE must let us HQ them!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 19:05:55
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Linear said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Homam/Turban looks better.

That's honestly my reason. I don't solo for exp ever.

EDIT: and it's a lot of dat swapping I don't care to do. >_>
lol fair enough, Perle is pretty ugly.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-17 19:08:00
Link | Citer | R

I actually like how Perle looks. Homam/Turban just looks better and more e-peen worthy.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-07-17 20:02:29
Link | Citer | R

My only argument against wearing perle, and the reason I won't, is that I don't want my homam and nocturnus mail to go to waste for some ACC and ATK D:
[+]
 Valefor.Flodrop
Serveur: Valefor
user: Flodrop
By Valefor.Flodrop 2010-07-18 00:44:06
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
I was never able to get an HQ Thally, and just the other day I saw one augmented with Dmg+1.
But like Karbuncle said, your new stingray will win, in all situations.

Also, I believe you'll have a very hard time selling that pretty polearm of yours, considering all the new options.

Good luck though.
Also I'd like to reccomend giving this polearm a shot, trials only took me a couple days, and it's been well worth it.

Downside to this polearm is its effect overrides angon and it procs alot so be careful if angon is needed.
First Page 2