TOTM Staves
First Page 2
 Diabolos.Gira
Serveur: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-10 18:40:04
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone completed them yet, and if so can you give pointers as to where to seek your targets? I'm currently building a damage-based Kubera's Staff for Stone V but can't seem to catch a break on Saplings in weather. I asked the weather checker NPC in whitegate but at most all she ever has is a chance of rain in the mire; I tried the Boyahda Tree for a while without any luck either. At the moment the best options I've come across are Merriphatad Mountains (S) and Caedarva Mire; but neither one has weather long enough to rank up significant kills and I want to make all 8 staves (excessive? Yeah, but it's a fun thing to work on and doing them in order of T-V release for SCH).

I think I'll go try Treants in Vunkerl Inlet (S) actually... everytime I'm there I see elementals up...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2010-07-10 18:44:24
Link | Citer | R

I did mire for the saplings, and quite frankly on a mage job solo I wouldn't expect more than 4 or 5 kills per weather effect, it really is painfully slow.
 Hades.Stefanos
Serveur: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-07-10 18:46:10
Link | Citer | R

I'd start in Grauberg (S), that's where I got my kills. Weather pops there pretty often, and the treants count for kills.

I haven't started any of those yet because I haven't heard how much of an increase they are compared to HQ staves. If it's a big increase I'll probably at least start a Thunder one, otherwise I'll stick with what I have.
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2010-07-10 18:55:20
Link | Citer | R

Magic Damage +3 is 20% +4 is 25%
With HQ staves being 15%, for nuking they are well worth it.
 Asura.Malekith
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-10 18:58:16
Link | Citer | R

I was curious about the Magian Ice (Varuna's) staff vs. Aquilo's.

It's one thing to have increased potency on the staff but Aquilo's has Ele Skill (good vs. high resist targets) and INT. Just thinking that's alot to overcome with new stave. Anyone test and see if that particular staff is worth all the trouble?
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Serveur: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-07-10 19:01:13
Link | Citer | R

Someone posted a Screenshot of a 3700+ Magic Burst on Fafnir w/ Burst II w/ the new Indra Staff... I'd say well worth it. (Obviously has good gear to back it, but still...)
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-10 19:03:14
Link | Citer | R

I'm actually almost done on Indra's Staff and so far I like the results even though I only have the 3 Magic ATK, 1 Magic ACC Thunder Teiwaz. I just have 34 more beetles then the 250 Funguar Trial and I'm done.

Again I'm just really curious about the Varuna's staff vs. Aquilo's.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-10 19:31:54
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Stefanos said:
I'd start in Grauberg (S), that's where I got my kills. Weather pops there pretty often, and the treants count for kills.

I haven't started any of those yet because I haven't heard how much of an increase they are compared to HQ staves. If it's a big increase I'll probably at least start a Thunder one, otherwise I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks, I found a few and started getting some kills... but is there an area with a lot of treants? most i can find is 3 in one area and weather is gone before first one dead repops
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-10 19:42:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Malekith said:
I was curious about the Magian Ice (Varuna's) staff vs. Aquilo's. It's one thing to have increased potency on the staff but Aquilo's has Ele Skill (good vs. high resist targets) and INT.

Just thinking that's alot to overcome with new stave. Anyone test and see if that particular staff is worth all the trouble?
The old finished version probably not.

But new one sure. New one will be about 8% more dmg but 22.5-25 less macc.

Now to lose enough dmg to where you'd do around the same as aquilos you'd pretty much need to dump 13+ MAB.

Assuming you needed all the extra from aquilos you have to figure on can you get 22.5-25 macc without sacrficing over 13 MABs worth of dmg.

Of course considering how there are no new HNMs and you have another what 25 skill from lvls you shouldn't need anywhere near that much macc
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-10 19:45:09
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:
Thanks, I found a few and started getting some kills... but is there an area with a lot of treants? most i can find is 3 in one area and weather is gone before first one dead repops
Not sure the exact location but the area where there are alot has chigoes and saplings and on one side wivre and on the other goblins. But they are kinda spread out
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-10 20:33:13
Link | Citer | R

Grauberg (S) seems to be a great stomping ground even if the pops aren't close.

So... I need to do slimes next... in dark/ice/water/earth weather... suggestions?
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-07-10 20:35:38
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:

So... I need to do slimes next... in dark/ice/water/earth weather... suggestions?
Caedarva Mire J-9 by the twin ponds close to the staging point.
it sucks but atleast its only 50 of them.
and check the weather reporter before heading out.
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-07-10 20:37:00
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:

Ranguemont pass!! :D Grab a friend and either sync 15ish for the lowbie slimes or near 32ish for the upper tier ones. it's usually -always- dark or ice weather here so you can do it fairly quickly^^
 Siren.Itachi
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2010-07-10 20:39:38
Link | Citer | R

i feel sorry for you nuking mages. so much inventory/time rape xD
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-10 20:41:48
Link | Citer | R

All this tedious crap is reminding me of getting the weather-obi's... but at least for this I know exactly how many kills I'm in for lol, no 0/50 on last phemde organ XD
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-07-10 20:45:28
Link | Citer | R

Could be worse, you could have to rock crusher finishing blow treants.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-10 20:46:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Could be worse, you could have to rock crusher finishing blow treants.

Go go Occult Acumen? XD
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2010-07-10 22:15:53
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:
Has anyone completed them yet, and if so can you give pointers as to where to seek your targets?

Have you thought to try the wiki? It has location suggestions for most trials.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-10 22:28:08
Link | Citer | R

A lot of higher entry trials have no helpful info...

Having just done Trial 823 (slimes) there was nothing posted. I will share the best place is Bostanieux Oubliette on the Mousse there. It took forever but I thought it was the greatest concentration of EP mobs for my level 80 RDM
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2010-07-10 23:05:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Malekith said:

Having just done Trial 823 (slimes) there was nothing posted. I will share the best place is Bostanieux Oubliette on the Mousse there. It took forever but I thought it was the greatest concentration of EP mobs for my level 80 RDM

As far as I know there's no weather in that zone... so this confuses me.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-07-10 23:09:51
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Prinnysmash said:
Asura.Malekith said:

That trial is 150+ lightning damage finishing blow

different trial
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-07-10 23:36:03
Link | Citer | R

Just finished that trial and would have to say the best place is den of rancor. Take a blm friend, or go yourself on blm and theres a spot that leads to downstairs that has 5 slimes, gather them up and aga. Go to other side gather the other 5 and aga. Then go kill random slimes that are closeby, put sneak/invis up to get to them. The position is on wiki now for the slimes in the den.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-10 23:38:25
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Prinnysmash said:
Asura.Malekith said:

It's just a straight kill for that trial. Only need to killshot with Thunder damage of 150 points or greater to satisfy the trial requirements.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-07-10 23:41:10
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Just finished that trial and would have to say the best place is den of rancor. Take a blm friend, or go yourself on blm and theres a spot that leads to downstairs that has 5 slimes, gather them up and aga. Go to other side gather the other 5 and aga. Then go kill random slimes that are closeby, put sneak/invis up to get to them. The position is on wiki now for the slimes in the den.
/sigh Wish I had more friends willing to help. I've to solo-grind most of my way through... but yar that does look like a better alternative. I'll have to mark that down for future reference. ^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-11 00:38:48
Link | Citer | R

Diabolos.Gira said:
Grauberg (S) seems to be a great stomping ground even if the pops aren't close. So... I need to do slimes next... in dark/ice/water/earth weather... suggestions?
There are a whole bunch of slimes aydeewa subterrane and fairly often weather.

If this trial counts subspecies mount Z clots wouldn't be bad
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-11 00:40:42
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
That's more or less what I tend to do solo on the weather ones. Just hold them at low hp till weather spawns if I know it will (ie checked weather). Used to do 9-11 spiders at a time in the tree.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-11 11:49:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Grauberg (S) seems to be a great stomping ground even if the pops aren't close. So... I need to do slimes next... in dark/ice/water/earth weather... suggestions?
There are a whole bunch of slimes aydeewa subterrane and fairly often weather.

If this trial counts subspecies mount Z clots wouldn't be bad
Clots don't count and the Subterrane only has wind weather and I need dark/water/earth/ice weather. I tried the mire but weather is so touch and go and spawns slow... gunna try Pashhow (S) next hope it has rain more often than thunder.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-07-11 12:24:58
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
^
This , I did this trial back when you needed 100 slimes to be killed under any of these weathers Water/Earth/Ice/Dark , I've tried every possible zone , Passhow past sucks because you have total of only 4 slimes & they don't spawn @same point , you have got to run between spawn areas , weather is not common , & you would lose aggro every 2 steps when you pull these.

I've tried SSG with 2 other friends , & it didn't go well either , the weather is not common & you have like 5 spawns only.

Finally we did Den of Rancor , the weather is common , but doesn't last long sometimes , we would gather 5 slimes @1% , keep them slept till weather pop & just -aga them , then run between each side , we would kill 7~13 a weather pop.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-07-11 15:06:12
Link | Citer | R

haven't read through really, but how do these staves compare in terms of enfeebles? Like gravity with the ToTM Wind Staff, Bind with the ice one, etc.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-11 15:08:45
Link | Citer | R

If you go the macc route they will have considerably more macc than HQ staffs
First Page 2